Mixing (and matching) speakers in a home theatre setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By talon9
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By zieglj01

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Mixing (and matching) speakers in a home theatre setup

I have a pair of Monitor Audio MR6 towers, the slightly smaller MR1 rears and a MR10 Sub but can now lay my hands on a SILVER centre (ALL of them being from Monitor Audio). Would that cause a problem with the 'balance' with the overall acoustics?

MA says this about the Centre speaker: "Acoustically matched to silver speaker system for excellent imaging and timbre consistency."

So now, if I combine the silver centre with the not-so-silver MR set - would it be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkopparam View Post
I have a pair of Monitor Audio MR6 towers, the slightly smaller MR1 rears and a MR10 Sub but can now lay my hands on a SILVER centre (ALL of them being from Monitor Audio). Would that cause a problem with the 'balance' with the overall acoustics?

MA says this about the Centre speaker: "Acoustically matched to silver speaker system for excellent imaging and timbre consistency."

So now, if I combine the silver centre with the not-so-silver MR set - would it be a problem?
I've never auditioned those speakers you mention so I can't give you an informed opinion so it will be just an opinion, LOL.

First, it's only going to be a problem if your ears detect it as a problem. Acoustically matching is important for panning across the front sound stage or sounds that are presented by all three of your front channel speakers. This includes, music, sounds, dialog and effects. With the center channel of course the majority of your movie dialog is going to come from that speaker. It is not imperative that it be an exact match by any means. However, you don't want it to be so dramatically different that it stands out in a bad way. If the other speakers are warm, laid back sounding speakers and the mismatched center is bright and in your face it will detract from the listening experience. I had a center channel speaker that no matter what i did with Audessy or adjusting trim levels I couldn't get it to sound "right" with my front left and right. Dialog would either disappear or if I turned it up to be more clear and present, it just stood out such that it took your attention away from the immersion of the front sounds. There was no happy medium.
mkopparam likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Quote:
Only if you are:
1. Actively listening FOR any "timbre" differences while watching movies, as opposed to simply (gasp!) WATCHING movies like a normal human being, which is more of a VISUAL than AURAL experience.

2. Listening to native surround music (SACD/DVD-A).

3. Upmixing a stereo music source to multi-channel mode. This is generally a horrible idea, regardless of whether your front speakers are "matched" or not.

4. Neglecting to LEVEL MATCH the center speaker to the L/R speakers to compensate for differences in sensitivity and impedance.

Many current AVRs will also auto-EQ each speaker separately, further reducing any "tonal" differences between them.
mkopparam likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked: 3050
Grab the Silver and enjoy
mkopparam likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2017, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Grab the Silver and enjoy
The Silver has been "grabbed". The weekend calls for experimentation!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked: 3050
Quote:
The Silver has been "grabbed". The weekend calls for experimentation!
Cool

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , mr series , silver , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page