Tekton Impact and Double Impact - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #541 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas2 View Post
The 10" Eminence that I linked above has the same Sensitivity (98.82 dB) that is listed in this Home Theater review:

http://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-...aker-reviewed/

The Alpha 10A sensitivity is different @ 95.6 dB
Unless Eric sent a different model for this review...but it sounds like the reviewer made a mistake on his description. If you take a closer look the 10" driver suspension the DI has is different from the delta driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by canillo View Post
...purchased a replacement driver from Eric and he sent the Alpha 10A
Ok got it thanks !

This aligns with my earlier conjecture, the 10A can be used as a replacement guitar speaker. Also the 6" is likely the Eminence Alpha 6A very interesting

SAMSUNG QLED | ROTEL | MOREL | M&K | HAFLER | TECHNICS SP-25
post #543 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
EVERYONE - Respectfully,

Quit asking me for the measurements. I have no interest in publishing measurements - carve it in stone. It's not going to happen.

When Stereophile or the like reviews the speakers you'll all have the measurements. It might be more beneficial to start pinging them not me.

Also note: GoldenEar Technologies, Wilson Audio, Magico, YG Acoustic, etc... Do you see them publishing measurements?! Like them, I have my reasons for not publishing measurements.

Sincerely,

Eric Alexander
President and CEO
Tekton Design, LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas2 View Post
Quote:
...purchased a replacement driver from Eric and he sent the Alpha 10A
Ok got it thanks !

This aligns with my earlier conjecture, the 10A can be used as a replacement guitar speaker. Also the 6" is likely the Eminence Alpha 6A very interesting
Yes the mid bass is also alpha 6a
Tomas2 likes this.
post #545 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektondesign View Post
EVERYONE - Respectfully,

Quit asking me for the measurements. I have no interest in publishing measurements - carve it in stone. It's not going to happen.

When Stereophile or the like reviews the speakers you'll all have the measurements. It might be more beneficial to start pinging them not me.

Also note: GoldenEar Technologies, Wilson Audio, Magico, YG Acoustic, etc... Do you see them publishing measurements?! Like them, I have my reasons for not publishing measurements.

Sincerely,

Eric Alexander
President and CEO
Tekton Design, LLC
Eric, Ive listened to so many speakers... pro audio, hi fi, regular consumer audio...studio and film audio ....you name it ..and I have never cared for measurements..because they are irrelevant once you place the same setup in a different location...but if I like the sound of the speakers. .its very likely they will sound good in any room and just minor room treatment will be needed to achieve desired sound.IMO any true music lover will pay more attention to the way a speaker sounds, rather than how it measured.
klh007, healthnut and liffie420 like this.
post #546 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tekton at LA Audio Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket75 View Post
found this picture of the Tekton DI Room at the LA Audio Show.

and copied and paste comment from someone online:

"The Tekton seems to have a great potential but its possible that the electronics used couldn't make it shine. They lacked some bit of dynamics as well".

I was at LAAS as well and was not impressed with the DIs in the suite. I think it was either the room or the amp/preamp as I had high expectations based on the reviews here and on Audiogon.

I just could not move forward with the DIs based on what I heard. I decided to purchase the Spatial Audio M3.

I really wanted to like these speakers. I was able to get to the designated 'sweet spot' in the room before listening to the DIs. I think the prior post's description of lack of dynamics is a good assessment.

Nick
duckymomo likes this.

Last edited by nsiret; 06-05-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Add new comment
post #547 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post
I was at LAAS as well and was not impressed with the DIs in the suite. I think it was either the room or the amp/preamp as I had high expectations based on the reviews here and on Audiogon.

I just could not move forward with the DIs based on what I heard. I decided to purchase the Spatial Audio M3.

I really wanted to like these speakers. I was able to get to the designated 'sweet spot' in the room before listening to the DIs. I think the prior post's description of lack of dynamics is a good assessment.

Nick
How was the bass on those being OB? looks like its using a Eminence beta15cx

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #548 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket75 View Post
found this picture of the Tekton DI Room at the LA Audio Show.

and copied and paste comment from someone online:

"The Tekton seems to have a great potential but its possible that the electronics used couldn't make it shine. They lacked some bit of dynamics as well".

Nick
Wonder what they were set up like? My DI have dynamics to spare...Well at least you got to hear them in person.
post #549 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
I was not impressed with the bass either. The more I consider my reaction, I really think the room and equipment is the major factor for my disappointment. They were streaming Tidal and the amp and pre-amp were both Schiit. The pre-amp was a Freya and the amp was a new pre-production unit.

They used this same set-up to demo multiple speakers. It's unfortunate that Tekton did not have a dedicated room.

Nick
post #550 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
I was not impressed with the bass either. The more I consider my reaction, I really think the room and equipment is the major factor for my disappointment. They were streaming Tidal and the amp and pre-amp were both Schiit. The pre-amp was a Freya and the amp was a new pre-production unit.

They used this same set-up to demo multiple speakers. It's unfortunate that Tekton did not have a dedicated room.

Nick
I believe he was asking about the bass of the M3 you purchased.

Last edited by canillo; 06-05-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #551 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
EVERYONE - Respectfully,

Sincerely,

Eric Alexander
President and CEO
Tekton Design, LLC
Well, I think we all know why Wilson doesn't publish any measurements. I'm assuming you have a different reason. And although I do believe in measurements and publish them on my site, I would agree with others on this thread that it's best not to knock a speaker (or sing its praises) until you've heard it.
post #552 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Nick

I've heard these a few times at someone's place and with better gear and still have a little mixed emotions about the total sound quality.

keep in mind these are Large cabinets with two 10" drivers and rated @98dB 4 or 8 Ohm easy to drive!

Strengths: Big sound and very revealing/image

imo: Dynamics a little light, seems to be missing that hard hitting Slam and impact that i like to see in larger speakers.

Example of a song with good dynamics and speed (maybe not everyone's cup of tea) just a sample of a generic song i found online: a good song for impact and slam

post #553 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Eric, Ive listened to so many speakers... pro audio, hi fi, regular consumer audio...studio and film audio ....you name it ..and I have never cared for measurements..because they are irrelevant once you place the same setup in a different location...but if I like the sound of the speakers. .its very likely they will sound good in any room and just minor room treatment will be needed to achieve desired sound.IMO any true music lover will pay more attention to the way a speaker sounds, rather than how it measured.
Newbie here but your right, I have to agree. The measurements of a speaker in a specific room layout or an-echoic chamber vary from what they would sound like in a different room. That's part of the reason why you have room correction. A speaker that sounds great in a recording studio will sound different from one in your living room or mine. You could use 1 meter measurements but that doesn't account for how the speaker will fill a room or vise versa. It interesting that it seems they are going with PA or amp style speakers, lightweight cones and high sensitivity. that seems the way a lot of companies are moving especially in the DIY realm outside of subs. I haven't posted much in this thread, I can't afford nor have I heard the speakers myself. I just thought the patent wording was odd, not the word I used. But I can also admit I am not qualified to design a speaker or driver. Plus I think some of the cheap gear I have sounds good LOL
post #554 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
These are the two pictures I took while at LAAS last week. My main reason was to check out the Emotive speakers, I thought that room was for Emotiva line, it turned out that they have many brands in there, Emotiva only sent in B1 bookshelf.

I sat in the front row but not in the sweet pot but on the left of the middle seat. They played two songs per brand then switched. When I was there, the Magnepan 0.7 was played it last song, then Emotiva B1 for two songs (which wasn't that impressive, I had high hope for it cause I like the design look of this line), then switched to Tekton for two songs.

The songs they played was picked out by whoever requested, I thought it would be better if they play just one song for the whole rotation of speakers so people can at least have a reference point.

Anyway, during the whole song I can closed my eyes and picked out where the speaker location exactly, may be 'cause I sat lightly to the left of the sweet pot. The volume was very high and the front row seat was only probably 4,5 feet away, so that was another reason the image was so bad(??). The test song from Yello which has lot of drumming and the speaker did a good job to reproduce the sounds on each speaker but like I said the image was not there so it wasn't enjoyable at all. I even tried to lean over to the middle but since the seat was taken so not much improvement by leaning only about half body size over.

I'm not claim to be an audiophile or anything ok just my observation.

Since I know nothing about this brand and last week was the first time I saw them. My main goal was to check out Emotiva new speakers (T2 tower and C2 center) but only B1 showed up.

They would play another song then switched to the smaller Tekton (the orange one) but since I have no interest on this line so I left the room before they played the orange speaker

That's all I have to report on this. Over and out

LAAS was fun, walked around from 10am to about 5pm to enjoy all kind of IEMs, headphones and speakers in all kind of shapes, sizes and price points.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170603_150245.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2173178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170603_145906.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	2173186  
post #555 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Show conditions usually suck. I can only ferret out the really bad loudspeakers, the good loudspeakers deserve anther audition in the home.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #556 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Did not have the pleasure of attending the LA event but am similarly surprised that the DIs gave the impression of a lack of dynamic range. My set is so good in this area it has reawakened my listening of classical music -- that has a much broader dynamic vocabulary than popular music (with its recent trend to compress all as close to the top of the spectrum as possible). If any of you are interested, you can listen to the opening of Gorecki's 3rd symphony that begins ppp with divisi double basses and over a ten minute span rises to fff. This symphony is ideal for the DIs because it requires very low bass response that my set shines at.
For me, dynamic range is one thing and the ability to handle very large crescendos with ease is another. To check on this latter characteristic I like to use the Fischer/Budapest Festival Orchestra recording of Mahler's 2nd symphony (SACD). There is a dramatic crescendo 2/3rds of the way through the 3rd movement that has defeated most speakers I have tried -- but the DIs handle it with power and control.
In fine tuning my set of DIs I noticed that the biggest differences in soundscape and timbral accuracy were made by the selection of the DAC. For this reason, have reported on another site that I am using a studio converter (RME UCX). It is startlingly accurate.
Again, most surprised at the LA response.

Last edited by CLister; 06-05-2017 at 07:54 PM.
post #557 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
[QUOTE=nhatduongchi;53455346]These are the two pictures I took while at LAAS last week. My main reason was to check out the Emotive speakers, I thought that room was for Emotiva line, it turned out that they have many brands in there, Emotiva only sent in B1 bookshelf.

I sat in the front row but not in the sweet pot but on the left of the middle seat. They played two songs per brand then switched. When I was there, the Magnepan 0.7 was played it last song, then Emotiva B1 for two songs (which wasn't that impressive, I had high hope for it cause I like the design look of this line), then switched to Tekton for two songs.

Since I know nothing about this brand and last week was the first time I saw them. My main goal was to check out Emotiva new speakers (T2 tower and C2 center) but only B1 showed up. [Close Quote]

Have been using the 5-channel T1/C1/E1 set for almost a year now with Emotiva's XMC-1 pre and their older XPA-5 amplifier. The set is so good it brings out a smile every time music plays. Especially like the matched set of AMT tweeters among all five speakers. This makes multi-channel feeds very secure in tonal accuracy.
Rory at Emotiva told me the upcoming T2s would be louder than the T1s and have about 5hz more bass extension. I couldn't wait and went with the DIs for my other, stereo place -- and am perfectly happy switching back and forth between the 2 systems.
If you haven't heard the T1s by themselves, order a pair -- bet you don't send them back.
post #558 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=CLister;53455994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhatduongchi View Post
These are the two pictures I took while at LAAS last week. My main reason was to check out the Emotive speakers, I thought that room was for Emotiva line, it turned out that they have many brands in there, Emotiva only sent in B1 bookshelf.

Since I know nothing about this brand and last week was the first time I saw them. My main goal was to check out Emotiva new speakers (T2 tower and C2 center) but only B1 showed up. [Close Quote]

Have been using the 5-channel T1/C1/E1 set for almost a year now with Emotiva's XMC-1 pre and their older XPA-5 amplifier. The set is so good it brings out a smile every time music plays. Especially like the matched set of AMT tweeters among all five speakers. This makes multi-channel feeds very secure in tonal accuracy.
Rory at Emotiva told me the upcoming T2s would be louder than the T1s and have about 5hz more bass extension. I couldn't wait and went with the DIs for my other, stereo place -- and am perfectly happy switching back and forth between the 2 systems.
If you haven't heard the T1s by themselves, order a pair -- bet you don't send them back.
That was the reason I wanted to check out T2 but too bad it wasn't there, I have to wait until Emotiva has it later this summer according to them.
post #559 of 945 Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 PM

In all my conversations with Eric ..he always talks about his ADCOM SS amp....I wonder why he didnt use that amp to showcase his speaker
CLister likes this.
post #560 of 945 Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
Hmmm, not many out there that want to speak up for Tekton?

Come on folks! I know there's some Tekton owners out there...
Have had the Tekton Design Electron mid-tower speakers for about a week now and thought I would give my impression of them. I am a lurker on AVS Forum, this is my first post, so many of you can stop reading right now since that would be your clear bias. Others might be interested though if they get past my limited experience, newness to AVS Forum and are interested in my initial impressions.

My background in AV is quite limited. In the late 1990's my wife and I traveled between Seattle, Washington, and Eugene, Oregon to listen to nearly 70 brands/models of home theater speakers, all costing less than $10K. The speakers we absolutely fell in love with for their sound (sound tracks as well as music) were the Linn AV51 series speakers: AV5140 towers, AV5120 center speaker and upgraded Linn bookshelf speakers for surround. We added a Velodyne 12" subwoofer which matched the musicality of the Linns (to our ears at least) and, over time, drove our home theater with an Anthem D2 prepro with Primaire amplifiers. We loved that setup and the Anthem representative and Audio store technician were quite impressed with the in-home sound achieved for the price. We were extremely pleased for many years. We retired, moved to a small town in South Eastern Arizona, technology changed and our retirement income grew limited. The Anthem D2 did not support the newer technologies so we decided to swap it out with an AVR with a bit lesser sound quality, the Yamaha AV3160 which better matched our budget. This new combo sounded decent but several music pieces made the tweeter too shrill and not tiresome to listen to. Additionally, in our new great room (15' x 22' x 9' with one side wall totally open to our beg entry) we were never able to position the Linn towers satisfactorily to optimize their sound. We decided to replace the Linns but had limited dollars in our budget. A lot of research, much through this forum, we thought we would be safe and pleased with either the RBH bookshelf system or the Tekton Design speakers. Tekton Design speakers had great reviews by those who actually have them and I did not find as much info about the RBH speakers. Tekton Design speakers more in my budget wheel house as well. Talking with Eric at Tekton Design, we decided to upgrade to the Electron mid-tower speakers (still larger than the Linn Towers but smaller than the Double Impact Towers which my wife would not have approved of). Have to say that Eric and his staff were very helpful, good to work with, and everything was delivered to us in perfect condition through FedEX. The speakers were easy to unpack and set up.

My impressions of the Tekton Design Electron speakers. The Linn Towers look nicer, the Tektons boxy but not bad. Sound quality a big step up over the Linns. The Linn towers have now become my surround speakers. The Linn center speaker and bookshelf speakers moved to our smaller Home Theater setup in the family room. They do sound much better than the Definitive speakers that they are replacing. First thing that impressed us was the Electron Center speaker. So clear, sound so clean, and dialogue more understandable and more life-like than the Linn Center Speaker, a major upgrade in sound quality that immerses. Second thing that impressed us was the greater musicality of the Electron speakers over the Linn towers. Big upgrade to our ears. Sound stage much larger and more cohesive. Instruments and voices very natural sounding and overall sound not compressed as from the Linns. Until the Electrons are burned in I will not try to fine tune the placement of the Electron speakers. Where as the Linns were difficult to place and did not work as well in our new home, the Electrons are sitting 2 feet out from the back wall, five feet from one side wall and no wall in proximity on the side of the other speaker, yet sound sensational to our ears. Base, mid-range and treble sound cohesive, natural, musical and easy to listen to for hours. Music fed through our James River Media Center are the best we've heard it (if the original recording was decent) and higher resolution recordings sound amazing, almost life-like, something we never achieved with the Linns. I purposefully fed some of the tracks through that had the shrill treble and they were surprisingly tamed when played through the Electron speakers. I love to sit and listen to music of many genres and now have a wonderful smile on my face rather than critiquing the AV system. My wife is a worker bee who is not a particularly critical listener and is usually listening while working through the house. When she first heard the Electron speakers she was in the kitchen and come out to say, "Wow! Those speakers sound really nice." Later she stopped on one of her frequent trips through and told me that no matter where she was in the room or passing by, the Electrons sound so nice and didn't drop off in sound quality like the Linn speakers which had a definite and limited sweet spot. The Electrons seem to have a huge sweet spot. To date, I have only leveled the sound from each speaker. I will do the fine tuning and run the equalizer software when I have the speakers sufficiently burned in. Let me say, my wife and I already love these speakers, think they are a significant upgrade over the Linn speakers which had been our favorites we have heard over the years. I would have loved to listen to the RBH speakers but that was not possible from our location. I would be hard pressed to think they could be any better. Count me as tickled pink with the Tekton Design Electron speakers. Eric did tell me that the Double Impact and Electron speakers would sound great even closer to the wall though 3 to 4 feet would optimize their sound. 2' was the best we could manage and whereas the Electrons sound beautiful to us in that location, it badly impacted the Linn tower performance. One of the big differences was that I never could get optimal base out of the Linns and the Electrons provide wonderful musical base. There is a very smooth transition from the subwoofer to the bass of the Electrons that I was not able to achieve with the Linns despite the crossover setting.

Miscellaneous notes: We listen a tad louder than most but not at wall shaking volumes, we can still converse. These speakers sound just as good at low volume as at our normal listening level. When I moved the Linn towers to the surround position (they are 90 db speakers), I had to up there level nearly 6-7 db over the Electron fronts and center just to level the volume between all speakers. The Electrons seems a highly efficient design. The Linn towers are not a perfect match to the Electrons when I play stereo signals in 5.1 but somehow the combination works and I am so pleased. Tuscon has a limited number of audio stores. We listened to several speakers but the selection was limited. We listened to some $2500 Martin Logans which sounded nice but were not an improvement over the Linns (to our ears), We also listened to some B&W speakers in the same price range. They sounded a bit shrill to our ears on some tracks and overall seemed missing "strength" or drop off in the mid range.

This post is my (and my wife's) honest but totally subjective impressions of the Tekton Design Electron speakers. We were a bit leery of purchasing speakers we had not heard but the AVS Forums helped ease that concern as did talking to Eric Alexander (Tekton Design) who seems a friendly but square shooter with lots of excellent experience in speaker design. We could not be more pleased with our new Electron speakers. I have always trusted my ears over technical specifications (for good or bad). Doing so is very subjective with no right choices, no guarantee others hear/assess any speakers the same way we do. Key thing is to be very pleased with your speakers (equipment) and not wish you had purchased differently. I will say that I was not particularly pleased with the Yamaha A3160 AVR when the Linns were the attached speakers. The Anthem D2 audio performance sounded so much better to us (it is in a different audio class). Now, with the Electron speakers, that dissatisfaction with the A3160 has changed to genuine listening pleasure. We love our setup. I would note my only regret is that I wish the A3160 had additional 5.1 analog input but that was a trade off based on overall budget.
post #561 of 945 Old 06-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Interesting that he also had to bump the volume on what he thought were efficient loud speakers to match the Tektons as I had to do with my "efficient" B&W 804s. Also interesting that he referrence his wife's impressions on the Tektons. The ladies do not tend to favor the new stuff and generally have better hearing than we fellows. When my wife and daughter form an opinion, I generally respect it. In my case both of my girls didn't want to like the B&W replacements due to years of loving the 804s but both ultimately choose the Tekton Double Impacts over the B&Ws. Let the non-owners keep the fluff up with no facts. We owners can enjoy our purchases and all the money left over for other upgrades vs the overpriced alternatives.
healthnut and Xcelled like this.
post #562 of 945 Old 06-09-2017, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Congratulations!!! @yakov77

That is a very thoughtful and informative write-up. Thank you for sharing it with the community.

Thrilled that you and your wife are enjoying the Electrons so much.

Keep us posted as you break them in and get them more dialed in.
post #563 of 945 Old 06-09-2017, 09:45 PM

The double impact are actually pretty big, my room is 16x12x8. I just didnt wanna have to upgrade again once I finish the bigger cinema room. They are every man's dream speakers for in home theather use.When John Wick is hammering the concrete floor to remove the guns and gold coins he burried in his basement, the DI makes it feel like he is in my room right in front me hammering my floor. I did not feel this when I watched it in the movies. The Double Impact makes me wanna wait for movies to come out and just watch them home.At the end of the day this is exactly what I wanted and what I paid for. I do not feel like I am missing anything, In terms of sound, I could use more room treatment, but my next build will have a very good budget for that.
healthnut likes this.
post #564 of 945 Old 06-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
Interesting that he also had to bump the volume on what he thought were efficient loud speakers to match the Tektons as I had to do with my "efficient" B&W 804s. Also interesting that he referrence his wife's impressions on the Tektons. The ladies do not tend to favor the new stuff and generally have better hearing than we fellows. When my wife and daughter form an opinion, I generally respect it. In my case both of my girls didn't want to like the B&W replacements due to years of loving the 804s but both ultimately choose the Tekton Double Impacts over the B&Ws. Let the non-owners keep the fluff up with no facts. We owners can enjoy our purchases and all the money left over for other upgrades vs the overpriced alternatives.
Had to laugh at your reply Bull5094. Took a few months to get my wife to finally agree to the upgrade, she loved those Linn speakers. Doubly tough to convince her on unheard speakers, regardless of reviews written. She did not like the larger size of the Electrons when we unboxed them. Her attitude when she was finally able to listen to them totally changed, completely. She is now as big a fan of the Electrons as I am and keeps commenting on how much better they sound than the Linn speakers. We are both ecstatic about the Tekton speakers and I am doubly ecstatic that she is ecstatic. I had been contemplating a future existence of continual justification to her.

I would note that in 1997, several highly regarded HiFi/Home theater review sites claimed the Linn speakers were among the best home theater/music speakers regardless of price. We did not know this at the time of our listening tests. We just were wowed by their sound, nothing else came close in our estimation. Only later found out how highly regarded they were. Of all the speakers we listened to, the Linns happened to be in the median of the price range of speakers we were auditioning. First in sound, medium in price. With the Anthem D2, the Linns just "sang" beautifully. The only reason to change was take advantage of the new sound technologies (next step for us is to add two new speakers for 7.1). How surprising to us that the Tekton Electron speakers would/could sound so much better than our beloved Linns, and how surprising that the price of the Electrons would be so much lower cost than the Linns were 19 plus years ago.
post #565 of 945 Old 06-10-2017, 02:18 PM

I know this is not the thread for this but , I wanted to ask any of the Double Impact owners what subwoofer they are using with these. BFM folded horn designs look good but its more work than what I wanna put. Ive been wondering what the brisance sounds like, so if anyone has an idea or can guide me to a thread that is already talking about this. So far I am leaning towards the parts express Dayton 18 ultimax for 899 all included. Any tekton owners using this? How do they perform with tekton speakers?
klh007 likes this.
post #566 of 945 Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
@canillo : You may want to check out AK or Agon for more information on pairing with subs. For example, a recent poster on those sites / threads has Eric putting something custom together for him, which are replacing JL Fathoms.
post #567 of 945 Old 06-10-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Just read through this whole thread. I must say I'd curious to hear the DIs, but I'm stunned by the utter transparency of Eric's voodoo marketing tactics. If this were a 150 years ago, I could easily picture Eric in a fancy suit and covered wagon riding from town to town selling bottles of stuff.

Here's a couple of exchanges that really struck me:

Quote:
I can do it and if they or anyone else wants to do this they’ll need to purchase a licence to build them from us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJames View Post
Anyone can do it, because you use off the shelf drivers that are nothing out of the ordinary. You don't even meet your own specs, because your woofers are over 30 grams moving mass, and your midranges are over 5 grams. Please don't tell us you use the tweeters down to 440 hz. You can fool some people all of the time, but you can't fool everyone.
Quote:
Why do subwoofers sound like one note lifeless mud...???
Quote:
Low pass your woofers at 80 hz and they'll sound just like any other sub, except they won't go as low, because the mass is too low, so the Fs is too high.
Quote:
Because the subtle overtones and harmonics associated with the fundamental tone are traveling through the voice coil and the cone cannot even begin to respond to them.
Quote:
Those overtones and harmonics don't exist at frequencies where subs work.
Quote:
the big named highly praised $3000 subwoofers use 200-300 grams of moving mass
Quote:
The highest moving mass I can find for a ten is 160 grams. Besides, high mass subs can't do what low mass woofers can above 80 hz, but low mass woofers can't do what high mass subs can below 80 hz.
Quote:
It requires entirely new methods of speaker design and I’ve placed no fewer than 5 of them within the Double Impact.
Quote:
If that's true then reveal them. You have patent protection, so there's no reason not to.

To which Eric abruptly responded when cornered by Rick's facts:

Quote:
Respectfully, nothing I do or say is going to please you. Have a nice day!
Eric Alexander - designer

Or this post on his bragging about the public response at LAAS:

Quote:
6/2/2017 Newsflash: back on Planet Earth folks we now have this... location: Los Angeles Audio Show - Tekton Design Double Impact loudspeaker making it's first public debut in the Positive Feedback room. Professional reviewer Steve Lefkowitz sends me a text: "Everything went well. All the systems sounded great. Room was packed the whole time. We're rock stars!"

I'm absolutely loving it!!!

Quote:

Anyway, during the whole song I can closed my eyes and picked out where the speaker location exactly, may be 'cause I sat lightly to the left of the sweet pot. The volume was very high and the front row seat was only probably 4,5 feet away, so that was another reason the image was so bad(??). The test song from Yello which has lot of drumming and the speaker did a good job to reproduce the sounds on each speaker but like I said the image was not there so it wasn't enjoyable at all. I even tried to lean over to the middle but since the seat was taken so not much improvement by leaning only about half body size over.

Since I know nothing about this brand and last week was the first time I saw them. My main goal was to check out Emotiva new speakers (T2 tower and C2 center) but only B1 showed up.

They would play another song then switched to the smaller Tekton (the orange one) but since I have no interest on this line so I left the room before they played the orange speaker

So nhatduongchi saw the DIs in a crowded room that happened to have many other brands/models, was not impressed with the DIs, and decided to leave before the next Tekton model came up...hardly reflects Eric's/Steve's sentiments on their TAAS announcement.

I just feel bad for the many people that bought his speakers and were duped initially and continue to be duped. Like they said on the movie "The Sting", the best con is the one where the victim doesn't even know he's been conned.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #568 of 945 Old 06-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
@canillo : You may want to check out AK or Agon for more information on pairing with subs. For example, a recent poster on those sites / threads has Eric putting something custom together for him, which are replacing JL Fathoms.
Thank you!!I will check that info..problem with Eric and tekton is that they can not keep up with their orders. He takes way to long to ship products that he has as "strandard" something custom will take FOREVER to get from him.
post #569 of 945 Old 06-10-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
...I just feel bad for the many people that bought his speakers and were duped initially and continue to be duped....
If you can dupe me for over a year, bring on more duping. Usually I can shake out a pair of loudspeakers in a couple of weeks, crappy ones might not last a few minutes.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #570 of 945 Old 06-10-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Just read through this whole thread. I must say I'd curious to hear the DIs, but I'm stunned by the utter transparency of Eric's voodoo marketing tactics. If this were a 150 years ago, I could easily picture Eric in a fancy suit and covered wagon riding from town to town selling bottles of stuff.

Here's a couple of exchanges that really struck me:

Quote:
I can do it and if they or anyone else wants to do this they?ll need to purchase a licence to build them from us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJames View Post
Anyone can do it, because you use off the shelf drivers that are nothing out of the ordinary. You don't even meet your own specs, because your woofers are over 30 grams moving mass, and your midranges are over 5 grams. Please don't tell us you use the tweeters down to 440 hz. You can fool some people all of the time, but you can't fool everyone.
Quote:
Why do subwoofers sound like one note lifeless mud...???
Quote:
Low pass your woofers at 80 hz and they'll sound just like any other sub, except they won't go as low, because the mass is too low, so the Fs is too high.
Quote:
Because the subtle overtones and harmonics associated with the fundamental tone are traveling through the voice coil and the cone cannot even begin to respond to them.
Quote:
Those overtones and harmonics don't exist at frequencies where subs work.
Quote:
the big named highly praised $3000 subwoofers use 200-300 grams of moving mass
Quote:
The highest moving mass I can find for a ten is 160 grams. Besides, high mass subs can't do what low mass woofers can above 80 hz, but low mass woofers can't do what high mass subs can below 80 hz.
Quote:
It requires entirely new methods of speaker design and I?ve placed no fewer than 5 of them within the Double Impact.
Quote:
If that's true then reveal them. You have patent protection, so there's no reason not to.

To which Eric abruptly responded when cornered by Rick's facts:

Quote:
Respectfully, nothing I do or say is going to please you. Have a nice day!

Or this post on his bragging about the public response at LAAS:

Quote:
6/2/2017 Newsflash: back on Planet Earth folks we now have this... location: Los Angeles Audio Show - Tekton Design Double Impact loudspeaker making it's first public debut in the Positive Feedback room. Professional reviewer Steve Lefkowitz sends me a text: "Everything went well. All the systems sounded great. Room was packed the whole time. We're rock stars!"

I'm absolutely loving it!!!

Quote:

So nhatduongchi saw the DIs in a crowded room that happened to have many other brands/models, was not impressed with the DIs, and decided to leave before the next Tekton model came up...hardly reflects Eric's/Steve's sentiments on their TAAS announcement.

I just feel bad for the many people that bought his speakers and were duped initially and continue to be duped. Like they said on the movie "The Sting", the best con is the one where the victim doesn't even know he's been conned.
who was duped? Tekton offers 60 days in home trial, so you can test them yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page