Tekton Impact and Double Impact - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 647Likes

post #571 of 954 Old 06-10-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by canillo View Post
Thank you!!I will check that info..problem with Eric and tekton is that they can not keep up with their orders. He takes way to long to ship products that he has as "strandard" something custom will take FOREVER to get from him.
Go to data-bass.com and look at their listings of subwoofers. You can click on the frequency at the top for your preferred low frequency cut-off and it will list the subs by that level with the highest SPL versions first. If is states the manufacturer is Zod Audio, that is made by Ricci whom runs the site. The next ones rolling up are generally DIY and be aware he tests with a 20KW capable PowerSoft arena amplifier.

There are tons of charts, graphs, measurements and the like so you can have a really good idea what the subwoofer will do without ordering or building one for yourself. Read through the charts and decide what power range you can put up with then find what the sub does at that voltage.

If it turns into a mess, just match up the subwoofer to at least meet if not exceed the specs of your speakers and you should be fine. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 954 Old 06-10-2017, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
who was duped? Tekton offers 60 days in home trial, so you can test them yourself.
Sorry, if you like your speakers, I'm glad. I meant being duped by his bogus patent claim. It's laughable that anyone would believe that you need speaker drivers with an mms similar to the instruments they are recreating. How would this ever scale to all instruments? At one extreme you have large bells and even xylophone keys, and at the other end ones that have zero moving mass (except for air) for instruments like a flute or even large pipe organs. C'mon man, you gotta use the stuff that God gave you between your ears.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't forget the mass of the cannons used in the "Overture of 1812".
duckymomo likes this.

Last edited by darrellh44; 06-10-2017 at 06:57 PM.
post #573 of 954 Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Quote:
who was duped? Tekton offers 60 days in home trial, so you can test them yourself.
Sorry, if you like your speakers, I'm glad. I meant being duped by his bogus patent claim. It's laughable that anyone would believe that you need speaker drivers with an mms similar to the instruments they are recreating. How would this ever scale to all instruments? At one extreme you have large bells and even xylophone keys, and at the other end ones that have zero moving mass (except for air) for instruments like a flute or even large pipe organs. C'mon man, you gotta use the stuff that God gave you between your ears.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and don't forget the mass of the cannons used in the "Overture of 1812".
I get it...this patent thing has cause lots of drama around here. I found this company before the patent, so no patent influence with me. No one should let a patent claim be the reason why you choose a set of speakers. In this case with patent or no patent....you should hear and then make a choice to buy or not.
Russ69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 954 Old 06-10-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I get it...this patent thing has cause lots of drama around here. I found this company before the patent, so no patent influence with me. No one should let a patent claim be the reason why you choose a set of speakers. In this case with patent or no patent....you should hear and then make a choice to buy or not.
I would never buy from a snake oil salesman no matter how good his product is. If he's going to lie before the sale, it probably doesn't bode well for the rest of the relationship. Wonder how he'll do now that his volume is stepping up.
duckymomo likes this.
post #575 of 954 Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I would never buy from a snake oil salesman no matter how good his product is. If he's going to lie before the sale, it probably doesn't bode well for the rest of the relationship. Wonder how he'll do now that his volume is stepping up.
If I never were not to buy something from snake oil companies...I would prob not own anything...anyways...yes he better hire more help now ...
post #576 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I never were not to buy something from snake oil companies...I would prob not own anything...anyways...yes he better hire more help now ...
So you agree his patent claim is bogus which probably makes him a snake oil salesman?
post #577 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2756 Post(s)
Liked: 2601
Quote:
So you agree his patent claim is bogus which probably makes him a snake oil salesman?
The patent isn't bogus. Maybe the claim is. There are thousands of "bogus" or dubious patents issued. If Eric believes in what he patented it is what it is.

In the end it's up to the buyer to discern whether the patent has any relevance on their decision to purchase or not purchase.

And as long as the speaker sounds good to the buyer the patent is irrelevant.
klh007 and healthnut like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #578 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
The patent isn't bogus. Maybe the claim is.
What's the difference?

Quote:
In the end it's up to the buyer to discern whether the patent has any relevance on their decision to purchase or not purchase.

Please realize I am not trying to criticize Tekton speakers at all. I have never heard them, but I do have the same doubts that others on this thread have expressed based on well-established science.

What I'm objecting to is the owner's disingenuous marketing practices. I accept that all salesman to some degree use hyperbole, but this guy is way over the top. I think his potential customers need to be aware of this as well.
John Schuermann and duckymomo like this.

Last edited by darrellh44; 06-11-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #579 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJames View Post
And how did that work out in the end?
Loaded question, as you know the answer.

Here's what I remember about those days. Uniformly excellent "professional" reviews. Those same reviews (and customers) praising the "great $$ value" being provided within the speaker marketplace, competing very well against the "big boy" speaker brands. A charismatic and hyperbolic owner who engaged customers in long and helpful conversations which helped earn him great customer loyalty. Accusations of professional jealousy or marketplace subterfuge when someone did not speak highly of the products.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #580 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No dont agree. The fact that I dont understand his patent does not mean I think its BS. I actually think he is a pretty bad sales man, but he is a genius speaker designer. I believe doing things different is ok, as long as the results are good, and doing things different means a lot of the times you will be criticized for it, and some may not understand what you are doing.
klh007 and healthnut like this.
post #581 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The patent isn't bogus. Maybe the claim is. There are thousands of "bogus" or dubious patents issued. If Eric believes in what he patented it is what it is.

this is exactly what Ive been trying to explain here.
klh007 likes this.
post #582 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
... I believe doing things different is ok, as long as the results are good, and doing things different means a lot of the times you will be criticized for it, and some may not understand what you are doing.
Yes, sometimes new ways of doing things are criticized just because they are different and unfamiliar, so it can take a while for it to become accepted.

And sometimes, new ways of doing things (if they are, in fact, new) are criticized for very good reason, coming from a solid base of knowledge and collective experience.

Time will tell which way it will go here, there's no doubt about it.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #583 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
he is a genius speaker designer.
Based on what? It may seem that way to you, but there's nothing out of the ordinary with his designs with the exception of the funky tweeter array. Even that's been done before by McIntosh, probably by others too. If he did the crossover right it probably works OK, if he didn't it can't work OK. A polar chart would prove it one way or the other, which he flat out refuses to provide. To tell the truth he's probably better off not showing charts. He has a small operation, rumoured to vary anywhere from just himself to maybe two or three employees, so even if the only customers he has are those willing to go out on a limb it's still more production than he can keep up with in a reasonable time frame. The additional customers he could gain if the charts prove his claims he can't handle anyway.

Quote:
The fact that I dont understand his patent does not mean I think its BS.
I do understand it, so I do think it's BS.
DreamWarrior and darrellh44 like this.
post #584 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJames View Post
Quote:
he is a genius speaker designer.
Based on what? It may seem that way to you, but there's nothing out of the ordinary with his designs with the exception of the funky tweeter array. Even that's been done before by McIntosh, probably by others too. If he did the crossover right it probably works OK, if he didn't it can't work OK. A polar chart would prove it one way or the other, which he flat out refuses to provide. To tell the truth he's probably better off not showing charts. He has a small operation, rumoured to vary anywhere from just himself to maybe two or three employees, so even if the only customers he has are those willing to go out on a limb it's still more production than he can keep up with in a reasonable time frame. The additional customers he could gain if the charts prove his claims he can't handle anyway.

Quote:
The fact that I dont understand his patent does not mean I think its BS.
I do understand it, so I do think it's BS.
Based on the fact that the companies that have tried it or done it...sell it for the price of a small house and Eric found a way to provide similar level of that performance for 3k. I dont know how familiar you are with music and movie sound studios, but that is my bread and butter , let me start by saying they have several pair speakers for different reason...and the speaker that measures the best is the one they use to mix but its the worse that sounds. The sound they need to mix needs to be very dry, with very little musicality, once the raw mix is done they use a different set of speaker to make low freq and high freq ajustments and get the retults they want. In most high end studios Ive visited they use PMC audio for this step and PMC is not a speaker that measures super flat. It is in my experience and high end studios the a flat speaker is not always the best one to listen to music because they simply fail to reproduce some harmonics the producer wants us to listen. . If we all wanted to hear exactly what the producers created, we would have to find out what studio mastered the track and buy the same equipment they have in there...not to mention create a similar listening enviorment. You guys keep talking about the patent and this and that....and dont realize this industry has made it their goal to have people paying attention to things that are really not that important. The reason why people preffer the sound of a flat speaker is because they are safe when playing sound...but they are likely to not reveal some beautiful harmonics the producer wanted you to hear.
klh007, CLister and healthnut like this.
post #585 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If we all wanted to hear exactly what the producers created, we would have to find out what studio mastered the track and buy the same equipment they have in there...not to mention create a similar listening enviorment. You guys keep talking about the patent and this and that....and dont realize this industry has made it their goal to have people paying attention to things that are really not that important. The reason why people preffer the sound of a flat speaker is because they are safe when playing sound...but they are likely to not reveal some beautiful harmonics the producer wanted you to hear.
I completely agree with studios being able to 'voice' their music to enhance whatever harmonics or overtones they want us to hear. But if the studio adds voicing emphasis, and then the end-user's systems adds even more emphasis on top of this, then you can end up with something that sounds pretty raunchy. The only hope of doing this with any accuracy is if both the studio's system used for mastering (where they add EQ to get the voicing they want) is the same as everyone else's replay system, ie, everyone has a flat, neutral system. If instead everyone has a system that pre-emptively adds its own voicing (which will be different between different manufacturers/models), then the studios wind up with a moving target of who should be doing what, when, and where. The industry has coined this interaction as the circle of chaos.

That being said, the on-axis response curves for the DIs posted earlier look fairly reasonable. There is a 6dB emphasis in the low to mid bass which is a fairly accepted target curve for small rooms. Where you might get in trouble with this emphasis is if your room has a lot of gain and/or you get a hold of recording that already has too much of this emphasis curve already mastered in. But the on-axis response only tells part of the story which is where the criticism of the weird tweeter array, wide inter-driver spacing, and lack of off-axis measurements come from.
John Schuermann likes this.
post #586 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
If we all wanted to hear exactly what the producers created, we would have to find out what studio mastered the track and buy the same equipment they have in there...not to mention create a similar listening enviorment. You guys keep talking about the patent and this and that....and dont realize this industry has made it their goal to have people paying attention to things that are really not that important. The reason why people preffer the sound of a flat speaker is because they are safe when playing sound...but they are likely to not reveal some beautiful harmonics the producer wanted you to hear.
I completely agree with studios being able to 'voice' their music to enhance whatever harmonics or overtones they want us to hear. But if the studio adds voicing emphasis, and then the end-user's systems adds even more emphasis on top of this, then you can end up with something that sounds pretty raunchy. The only hope of doing this with any accuracy is if both the studio's system used for mastering (where they add EQ to get the voicing they want) is the same as everyone else's replay system, ie, everyone has a flat, neutral system. If instead everyone has a system that pre-emptively adds its own voicing (which will be different between different manufacturers/models), then the studios wind up with a moving target of who should be doing what, when, and where. The industry has coined this interaction as the circle of chaos.

That being said, the on-axis response curves for the DIs posted earlier look fairly reasonable. There is a 6dB emphasis in the low to mid bass which is a fairly accepted target curve for small rooms. Where you might get in trouble with this emphasis is if your room has a lot of gain and/or you get a hold of recording that already has too much of this emphasis curve already mastered in. But the on-axis response only tells part of the story which is where the criticism of the weird tweeter array, wide inter-driver spacing, and lack of off-axis measurements come from.
This is why in MY case...I repeat...I can only speak for me..because Im familiar with the system that studios use and live venues use, I tried to find a speaker that represents the most comparable to what they are doing. And Tekton was my choice. I honestly feel that hi end speakers are making speakers more for furniture instead of actual sound. I hear so many different opinions on music producers, you see .you gotta do your home work and study what studios are doing and what they are using...why spend 1k on cables when the million dollar studios are using consumer pro audio mogami? Why get kevlar and cerametalic or whatever woofers are coming out ..when the live concerts have speakers that are made oitta paper?If you only listen to classic, then get a speaker that is a top performer for that....if you listen to jazz then your focus should be on speaker with great saxo repro, and so on. I listen to everything....try to get for example a pair of Sph?ron Excalibur speakers from Acapella and play some drake or what ever hip hop and crank the volume...hahahaha I got a chance to do this...it was a joke...now when this speaker is listened with the proper music it was design for, their performance is matched by very few only. That being said...to all the future speaker buyers...please please please listen to the speaker ...liaten listen listen....do not let a patent, a design someones opinion or even worse someone that has never listen to something tell you is a bad product or that has flaws....I didnt let anyone tell me...I actually listen to everything I could and tekton was my choice, this does not mean it will be yours.
post #587 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is why in MY case...I repeat...I can only speak for me..because Im familiar with the system that studios use and live venues use, I tried to find a speaker that represents the most comparable to what they are doing. And Tekton was my choice. I honestly feel that hi end speakers are making speakers more for furniture instead of actual sound. I hear so many different opinions on music producers, you see .you gotta do your home work and study what studios are doing and what they are using...why spend 1k on cables when the million dollar studios are using consumer pro audio mogami? Why get kevlar and cerametalic or whatever woofers are coming out ..when the live concerts have speakers that are made oitta paper?If you only listen to classic, then get a speaker that is a top performer for that....if you listen to jazz then your focus should be on speaker with great saxo repro, and so on. I listen to everything....try to get for example a pair of Sph?ron Excalibur speakers from Acapella and play some drake or what ever hip hop and crank the volume...hahahaha I got a chance to do this...it was a joke...now when this speaker is listened with the proper music it was design for, their performance is matched by very few only. That being said...to all the future speaker buyers...please please please listen to the speaker ...liaten listen listen....do not let a patent, a design someones opinion or even worse someone that has never listen to something tell you is a bad product or that has flaws....I didnt let anyone tell me...I actually listen to everything I could and tekton was my choice, this does not mean it will be yours.
Note...I did listen to speakers that I believed are better than the pendragons and Double impact...but I just didnt wanna spend 40k on a pair of speakers...that is 37k more than the DI and would be a very very dumb choice because I would have not even gotten double the performance. I actually feel Eric is gonna have a hard time selling the new 12k because as interesting as they look....I doubt they be 4 times better...but for some even a little improvement will be worth the extra 9k
klh007 and davidrds like this.
post #588 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
.... I honestly feel that hi end speakers are making speakers more for furniture instead of actual sound.
They are making speakers that are for use in the home not speakers that get loaded into the back of a van every night.

Quote:
and study what studios are doing and what they are using...
Pro audio has different requirements than home audio. Pro gear in the home is a mis-match as is home gear being used in a pro setting.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #589 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
Quote:
.... I honestly feel that hi end speakers are making speakers more for furniture instead of actual sound.
They are making speakers that are for use in the home not speakers that get loaded into the back of a van every night.

Quote:
and study what studios are doing and what they are using...
Pro audio has different requirements than home audio. Pro gear in the home is a mis-match as is home gear being used in a pro setting.
not all pro audio gear is put in the back of a van everyday. Lots of venues have peo gear steady in location that does not move...and that is not even what I meant...I was talking more about the fact that companies sell speakers with x and x materials that dont add anything to the sound quality but make hell of a visual statement.
Yes pro gear has different req. But the music you listen in your *home* audio gear was not recorded with *home* audio gear or mixed with home audio gear. And the blu ray live concert you are watching at *home* did not have home audio speaker at the venue, and was not remastered with home gear..so I think you are wrong..pro gear in home use is not a mis match if you know how to incorporate it. Guys!!!!...audio is audio!!! .....regardless of where you are...the amount of people listening at the moment and the distance is what will determine how much SPL you need. The only think you might be missing would be some details at very low volume with some pro audio gear...and this is why J like Eric's speaker....one that gives you clarity at low volumes and clarity at the SPl output of a pro audio speaker, this is where most *home* audio speakers fail to please(Me). You should always try to get as close to the original source as possible...
klh007 likes this.
post #590 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 PM

I was lucky enough to get a seat at the new Imax *home* demo that they will offer. Do you think they where using *home* speakers? Nop...same pro audio speakers in a smaller version.
post #591 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I was lucky enough to get a seat at the new Imax *home* demo that they will offer. Do you think they where using *home* speakers? Nop...same pro audio speakers in a smaller version.
Have been using pro equipment in home use for many years -- find that electronics are more compatible than speakers. Mentioned earlier that am using a studio converter (RME UCX) in my DI chain and it sounds superb.
Find that the DIs are exceptional in making all sources sound good (others agree). Wonder about this and "accuracy." My T1/C1/E1 Emotiva set sounds fabulous with good feeds but does not help out older recordings and I tend not to listen to them. With the DIs, these same recordings sound fuller, more appealing, and musical. Am listening now to a stereo recording done in 1956 by Karajan (remastered by EMI) that is astonishing in the accuracy of the instrumental timbres. On the DIs it sounds like it was recorded this decade. ADD can sound great if it transferred right.
Am speculating that some of the broad appeal is due to Eric's choice of speakers and their relatively straightforward crossovers. Do you know?
klh007 likes this.
post #592 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I was talking more about the fact that companies sell speakers with x and x materials that dont add anything to the sound quality but make hell of a visual statement.
Yes quality home loudspeakers can offer high grade cabinet materials and that is often matched with high grade drivers. The cabinet design does affect the sound quality but the type of veneer does not but is more suitable for the home.

Quote:
Yes pro gear has different req...
Canillo, it's cool if you want to use pro gear at home, a lot of pro audio guys like pro gear. I'm just not a fan...but if you want this, it's totally cool:
Click image for larger version

Name:	KPT-MCM-Angled-2-THX-new.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	2184449

post #593 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
Quote:
...I was talking more about the fact that companies sell speakers with x and x materials that dont add anything to the sound quality but make hell of a visual statement.
Yes quality home loudspeakers can offer high grade cabinet materials and that is often matched with high grade drivers. The cabinet design does affect the sound quality but the type of veneer does not but is more suitable for the home.

Quote:
Yes pro gear has different req...
Canillo, it's cool if you want to use pro gear at home, a lot of pro audio guys like pro gear. I'm just not a fan...but if you want this, it's totally cool:
[iurl="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2184449&d=1497242947"][/iurl]
Im not a pro audio guy...I am surrounded by lots of pro audio gear..but also by lots of home audio gear as well. And I always wanted to mix them to get the sound I like. So I like this.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tekton-DoubleImpact-225x250_1497246103185.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	2184473  
klh007 and CRITICALSHOT like this.
post #594 of 954 Old 06-11-2017, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So I like this.......
Works for me.

post #595 of 954 Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Drake and hip-hop, huh? Now we're getting somewhere. Do you listen much to close-mic'd acoustic performances?
post #596 of 954 Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Drake and hip-hop, huh? Now we're getting somewhere. Do you listen much to close-mic'd acoustic performances?
I love acoustic performances..my music taste is very wide..from Eminem to Diana Krall, frank Sinatra, michael jackson ect. This is the reason I needed a very versatile speaker.
post #597 of 954 Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 PM

Finally got my fed ex tracking number with my grills... also I decided to give the Tekton Brisance a try. Eric is painting it now....sadly I will not be able to compare it to anything because I currently do not have a sub...and this would be my first hi end sub. I would like to compare this sub to the part express dayton 18 or even the SVS SB 16, people are saying this SVS is a beast. So I will just compare to what Ive listened in past.
post #598 of 954 Old 06-14-2017, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 76
The patent is complete horse***** and could never be enforced. It goes to show, if you pay the fee, you can get any nonsense approved.

But the guy does have many good points. Most subwoofers on the market are slow, muddy, and one note. And that includes most ID offerings raved upon by this forum.

I also like that he uses Eminence drivers. A lot of them are state of the art and are some of the best transducers in the world. Much better than the Scandinavian companies China bought and are now ripping off builders with complete garbage that have no resemblance to the original inventive European products. In general, SB, Dayton, Peerless, Tymphany, etc. are trash.

And good for him for not giving out any measurements. Building speakers is 50/50% art and science. I never in my life have heard a flat measuring speaker with a flat power response sound good. And I've heard a lot.

Anyone have a pair of Tektons in Chicago area and is willing to audition them?
klh007 likes this.
post #599 of 954 Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
The patent is complete horse***** and could never be enforced. It goes to show, if you pay the fee, you can get any nonsense approved.

But the guy does have many good points. Most subwoofers on the market are slow, muddy, and one note. And that includes most ID offerings raved upon by this forum.

I also like that he uses Eminence drivers. A lot of them are state of the art and are some of the best transducers in the world. Much better than the Scandinavian companies China bought and are now ripping off builders with complete garbage that have no resemblance to the original inventive European products. In general, SB, Dayton, Peerless, Tymphany, etc. are trash.

And good for him for not giving out any measurements. Building speakers is 50/50% art and science. I never in my life have heard a flat measuring speaker with a flat power response sound good. And I've heard a lot.

Anyone have a pair of Tektons in Chicago area and is willing to audition them?
Audio Archon in Libertyville is a dealer. There are also some owners in the Chicagoland area.
post #600 of 954 Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Saw this quote on another thread and felt compelled to post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
I doubt there are any who've compared the M2s with the Archerons in the same room, under controlled conditions. I'd say, let's see some detailed measurements of the Archerons. As is being discussed in the various Harman threads, there is an 86% correlation between measured performance and listener preference. The M2 measurements are easily found (and posted all over this Forum).

As Dr. Toole says:

The scientific process begins with double-blind listening tests - if something sounds good, it is good. If not, we need to discover why and chase down the gremlins....Even now, I know of almost nobody who follows that degree of scientific rigor within the consumer or professional audio domains. It happens in some university research investigations, but most of the information available to consumers and professionals is seriously inadequate. Most loudspeaker specifications are an insult to intelligence forcing us to choose on the basis of imperfect listening evaluations and/or other persons' opinions. In product reviews we get few or no measurements, and subjective evaluations of the "take it home and listen to it" kind, where the test product is known, adaptation (a.k.a. breaking in) and bias are omnipresent. It doesn't mean they are without merit, but it does mean that opportunities for error are present. When a review begins with a sentence like: "I have always liked ##### loudspeakers" one can anticipate the conclusion, whatever the true merits of the product. Without trustworthy measurements the reader is at a severe disadvantage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page