Tekton Impact and Double Impact - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 648Likes

post #211 of 961 Old 05-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by canillo View Post
That is one of the things I originally was worried about, because the DI are so tall I was worried center was going to be too low, the screen comes pretty low and its not AT , so vertical center wasnt an option, The screen still gives some space to put the horizontal center higher but before I did that I tilted the center up to be basically aiming straight at the listening hight and ran the auto set up from my processor. The results where sooo good,I did not even bothered to put it higher. I mean I honestly hear the voices coming directly from the middle of the screen, because the sound of the DI dissapears so well I dont really notice hight difference . Call me crazy but having the DI front set up is like having a front wall full of speakers side to side top to bottom, and separation of surround effects is very very noticible.Eventually when I build a bigher cinema room, I will have AT screen and will see if Eric sells me a single Double Impact Tower to have as center. Also will be able to give these babies thw space they deserve away from walls.
@canillo and @Russ69

I prefer leaving my queries open ended..find I get the best response that way. No directional bias. : )

I did assume that the screen was a factor and likely not audio transparent.

The center also did not appear to be tilted upwards, at least to my eyes in the photo you posted, canillo.

Your experience with the center is heartening. I picked up a Standout Designs console just prior to deciding on the Tektons. I purposely went with a very large center cabinet opening, but it turns out it is just shy height-wise for the full 7 tweeter center. The 3 tweeter version will fit. The DIs have been so good that I'm willing to mount a soon to be acquired 70" or 75" panel higher than I would normal consider ideal, to accommodate the 7 tweeter version of the center on the top surface of the console. The fact that you are happy with the center lower to the floor also gives me a second option of putting it on a stand in front of the console (not ideal, but doable).

Normally, I would have the bottom of the panel at 36 inches. If the DI 7-Center, horizontal, is on the console I would have to mount with the bottom at 39 inches. With speaker isolation devices, probably at 40 inches.

Thoughts?

And an additional question for @canillo : did you play with your horizontal center in an upright position, and if so, any advantages/disadvantages? (I cannot remember if Eric's vertical center/surround is configured differently than the center).
I listen about 12 ft away from center channel so didnt need to tilt a lot. Never tried vertical position because there is a difference in the tweeter configuration, 3 of the 7tweeters always in a vertical line. If you are considering vertical center then get a DI sorround and use as center.(this is ideal)but not always possible in a lot of setups*like mine* Im pretty sure you can put the 7 tweeter center in a less than ideal location and will still love the results. Yes....proper and ideal location is always better, but the DI' speakers have such a huge sound dispersion that it give us more placement flexibility when ideal is not possible. Unless you have to tilt WAY to much then I wouldnt worry about it. attached a pic of my center tilted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170506_112938_1494098225489.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2120609  

Last edited by canillo; 05-06-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 961 Old 05-06-2017, 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=gajCA;52788409]Came across some speakers from Sweden with a similar tweeter array.

http://www.xtzsound.us/shop/us/Speak...m6-left-center[/QUOTE0]

would love to hear these beautifull speakers...
post #213 of 961 Old 05-06-2017, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
@canillo :

Thanks for the additional information and guidance.

I realize your DIs are very close to the side walls...how far apart are they? It will also be interesting to hear your comparative impressions once you are able to move them to the planned larger room.

My first priority is 2ch, so the speakers are placed accordingly. I have irregular side walls, a fireplace protrusion on one side, and an opening to the hallway on the other side. However, my DIs are 5 feet off the 'side wall' and just under 4 feet off the front wall, and just under 8 feet apart.

Ideally I prefer an equivalent floor-stander for the center channel. I've previously set up gear split between two cabinets with the cabinets flanking each side of the center, with a slight setback. However, that has been with speakers that have not been as tall. So that's a no go with the DIs...but I may go with a vertical 'surround' center on a short stand, tilted (like what you have done)...however, the horizontal center on the top of the console is the easiest to implement. From what you have shared, it sounds like this still offers very very good results.

The Swedes look sharp. : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 961 Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
@canillo :

Thanks for the additional information and guidance.

I realize your DIs are very close to the side walls...how far apart are they? It will also be interesting to hear your comparative impressions once you are able to move them to the planned larger room.

My first priority is 2ch, so the speakers are placed accordingly. I have irregular side walls, a fireplace protrusion on one side, and an opening to the hallway on the other side. However, my DIs are 5 feet off the 'side wall' and just under 4 feet off the front wall, and just under 8 feet apart.

Ideally I prefer an equivalent floor-stander for the center channel. I've previously set up gear split between two cabinets with the cabinets flanking each side of the center, with a slight setback. However, that has been with speakers that have not been as tall. So that's a no go with the DIs...but I may go with a vertical 'surround' center on a short stand, tilted (like what you have done)...however, the horizontal center on the top of the console is the easiest to implement. From what you have shared, it sounds like this still offers very very good results.

The Swedes look sharp. : )
I am very very pleased with the horizontal center. I think with other speakers the difference between horizontal and vertical would be more noticeable. I think with the DI's the big difference would be adding a full DI tower as a center. You have very good space for the DI's. If I was you I would totally put some sound panels maybe on stands so you can control the freq from bouncing around in your big space. I have them very very close...aroud 5inch away from side wall and 1.5 ft from front wall, sadly that is the best I could do. I put some treatment on first reflection and bass traps behind them in the corners. That help A LOT!! Improved imaging and smooth out the sound very well. I wont be building my bigger room until next year..so it will be a bit before my new impressions.
post #215 of 961 Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well, I'm putting my money where my text is. I ordered a pair of the DIs with the upgrade and grills. They'll be compared to my B&W 804s. It will be a tough sell for the wife. She's loved the B&Ws for years and years and is appalled I ordered anything else. She also has bat hearing. It will be interesting how this sorts out. If she loves these Tektons after being as negatively predjudiced as some of the posters in this thread, that is an over the top endorsement in my opinion.
klh007 likes this.
post #216 of 961 Old 05-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
Well, I'm putting my money where my text is. I ordered a pair of the DIs with the upgrade and grills. They'll be compared to my B&W 804s. It will be a tough sell for the wife. She's loved the B&Ws for years and years and is appalled I ordered anything else. She also has bat hearing. It will be interesting how this sorts out. If she loves these Tektons after being as negatively predjudiced as some of the posters in this thread, that is an over the top endorsement in my opinion.
Congratulations on your purchase!!! did Erik give you an ETA? Let us know your impression!!
post #217 of 961 Old 05-09-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Wonderful!!! Looking forward to your and your wife's impressions!

BTW, my wife is much more musically gifted than I am, and she is very happy with the sound quality of the Tektons...less so with the size.
klh007 likes this.
post #218 of 961 Old 05-09-2017, 08:34 AM

I will post an honest evaluation from both me and my bat-eared wife. I'll also post REW curves for the DIs and the 804s. Not exactly what the detractors want, but it should be a bit of empirical data on DI's performance. The height won't be a problem for me because these sit beside my screen and in front of a black bass trap. As long as it's under room ceiling it will not be a problem with the seating and projection angles to the screen. They are also going to sit in front of black matte bass traps so will be pretty invisible during moves. If they work, I'll have to go back for a center channel to voice match the mains. The 804s will go to the family room replacing my 6 series B&Ws residing there. And it looks like my Daughter gets an early inheritance of a set of B&W 6 series. Like a soap opera. As the speakers turn...
gajCA and lpicchiotti like this.
post #219 of 961 Old 05-09-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I will post an honest evaluation from both me and my bat-eared wife. I'll also post REW curves for the DIs and the 804s. Not exactly what the detractors want, but it should be a bit of empirical data on DI's performance. The height won't be a problem for me because these sit beside my screen and in front of a black bass trap. As long as it's under room ceiling it will not be a problem with the seating and projection angles to the screen. They are also going to sit in front of black matte bass traps so will be pretty invisible during moves. If they work, I'll have to go back for a center channel to voice match the mains. The 804s will go to the family room replacing my 6 series B&Ws residing there. And it looks like my Daughter gets an early inheritance of a set of B&W 6 series. Like a soap opera. As the speakers turn...
One thing I wanted to share...As I mentioned before...dont expect the DI's to have the same finish quality..The DI are well made but they will not have that ultra high end finish. Sound....... thats another story...these will take your music and movie experience to a new level compared to the 804's. ( IMO)"
post #220 of 961 Old 05-09-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
One thing I wanted to share...As I mentioned before...dont expect the DI's to have the same finish quality..The DI are well made but they will not have that ultra high end finish. Sound.......
I have a piano finish on my new Triangles. The reflection of the TV is an issue, it's like having two more viewing screens, not good.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #221 of 961 Old 05-09-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
I have a piano finish on my new Triangles. The reflection of the TV is an issue, it's like having two more viewing screens, not good.
I love it! Always a silver lining...WAIT, NO! A matte one!!!
post #222 of 961 Old 05-09-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
One thing I wanted to share...As I mentioned before...dont expect the DI's to have the same finish quality..The DI are well made but they will not have that ultra high end finish. Sound.......
This is exactly the reason why I went with satin finish and not glossy....And when doing serious movie nights.....I still put a black velvet fabric around the speaker for even better light absorbsion.Makes a difference.
post #223 of 961 Old 05-12-2017, 05:56 PM

Not concerned about the finish as long as it isn't really bad. The 804s are going into the family room where it can do their high-end furniture "thing". The black matte in the HT room is what I wanted anyway.

So I ordered them late on Monday. They shipped on Tuesday and I got a call today scheduling the delivery for Monday. To heck with that... I got in the F250 PSD and picked them up from the terminal. They are now in my toy box (AKA Garage). I will likely drag them upstairs and unpack them tomorrow. I have some things going tonight. Let me say these things are definitely over 100lbs. It feels like a box of bricks.

So far excellent service from Tekton. All emails answered promptly. All phone calls answered by a live human being. Generally by Eric himself. Then when it isn't a technical question he passes the call off mumbling something about having to build speakers. I think he's obsessed. Or possessed. Something like that anyway.
gajCA likes this.
post #224 of 961 Old 05-12-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We will be needing a full report.

post #225 of 961 Old 05-12-2017, 08:27 PM

@Bullitt5094 : Looking forward to your impressions. Congratulations.
post #226 of 961 Old 05-13-2017, 01:33 AM

Well if some here believed the Double Impacts where total design disaster....wonder what they will say when they see the new ULFBERTH...12K I am exited to hear these. From the way they look....I think my pants will fall when I hear them...hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ulfbertgloss-fixed_2_orig_1494660790240.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	2133673  

Last edited by canillo; 05-13-2017 at 03:20 AM.
post #227 of 961 Old 05-13-2017, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a set of upgraded Electrons on order. I will be comparing them to my JTR 210RM 228HT setup. I'm looking forward to see how the musical nature of the Tektons compare with the high output JTR's
willswing likes this.
post #228 of 961 Old 05-13-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phastm3 View Post
I have a set of upgraded Electrons on order. I will be comparing them to my JTR 210RM 228HT setup. I'm looking forward to see how the musical nature of the Tektons compare with the high output JTR's
Congratulations!

Looking forward to reading about your impressions and comparison to the JTRs.
post #229 of 961 Old 05-13-2017, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5778
Quote:
Well if some here believed the Double Impacts where total design disaster....wonder what they will say when they see the new ULFBERTH..
If you have no education in the physics of how speakers work it's a very impressive looking design. Those who do know how speakers work are aware of the potential pitfalls. No offense intended, but that's what this entire thread boils down to. Those who don't know how speakers work are inclined to accept the advertising hype at face value without question. Those who do know how speakers work ignore the hype and want proof of the claims being made, especially as some of them press the bounds of incredulity. Even Cold Fusion had its true believers, until the facts came out.
Quote:
I'll also post REW curves for the DIs and the 804s.
For them to be worthwhile they'd have to be measured outdoors, so what's seen is the response of the speaker, not the room. They'd also have to be not just measured on-axis, but also at 15 and 30 degrees off-axis, as it's the off-axis response where the success or failure of the design would be seen.
DreamWarrior and darrellh44 like this.
post #230 of 961 Old 05-13-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
For them to be worthwhile they'd have to be measured outdoors, so what's seen is the response of the speaker, not the room. They'd also have to be not just measured on-axis, but also at 15 and 30 degrees off-axis, as it's the off-axis response where the success or failure of the design would be seen.
I was curious why BFM was posting to the Tekton thread

Uhhh, those speakers go by the PHD audio concept--Piled Higher and Deeper. The more speakers you have, the more efficient the stack and the larger the concept of the sound and the more power you can hit them with. A great example of this is the sound systems they install in trucks down in Brazil... back in my teens/20's I did the same thing with PA speakers. Took two pairs of 3-way 15" PA speakers and piled them on top of each other--didn't sound right. Flipped the top ones upside down and it sounded better--but didn't sound right. Had a few beers and it sounded better so the 6-pack speaker array was invented.

Sure, it beams, the response was lumpy and it sounded worse than one pair of speakers but big and loud was king and liberal application of barley pops for tuning worked well (I think, hard to remember) Read a book how sound works and use the second pair of speakers with a crossover rolling in at below 200Hz--that worked great. The bottom pair added kick bass and put the top speakers at a better listening height for the win.

It would be very interesting to see the on axis, 10/20/30 and 45 degree off axis response measured outside with a gated microphone. Not only to show what that tweeter thing does but also the effect of having the mids being so far apart from each other.

For what its worth, I fought and redesigned my vertical line arrays 3 times over a period of 18 months to get them very close--not perfect but close enough for garage use. Arrayed speaker oddities I find interesting from the McIntosh stuff, the Infinity Reference V, Polk Audio SDA SRS series to full range arrays, PA array box systems and so on.

The snow flake array of tweeters is weird--then piling them higher and deeper is really weird. The measurements on/off axis should be pretty wild. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. Thanks for the stacking speakers on top of each other flashback--good times!
post #231 of 961 Old 05-13-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you have no education in the physics of how speakers work it's a very impressive looking design...
Am I to believe that Tekton, who has well measured and reviewed loudspeakers in the commercial market, is an idiot and doesn't know how to design a loudspeaker?

post #232 of 961 Old 05-15-2017, 02:27 AM

After spending 4 months of listening and researching about subs...I think it's time to give the Tekton brisance a try...
post #233 of 961 Old 05-15-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Am I to believe that Tekton, who has well measured and reviewed loudspeakers in the commercial market, is an idiot and doesn't know how to design a loudspeaker?
They wouldn't be the first to bring a product to market that doesn't work as advertised. As to 'well measured', by whom, and where are these measurements? Specifically polar charts, as that's where problems would be revealed. If you knew how to design a loudspeaker said need would be perfectly obvious to you too.

Note that I've never said anywhere that these can't sound good, or that they could not measure well. What I have said is that the tweeter array configuration would require a sophisticated crossover network to realize good off-axis response. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. Without polar plots to prove that the design is valid all you have is unsubstantiated advertising hype to put your faith in before handing over your cash.
DreamWarrior likes this.
post #234 of 961 Old 05-15-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...Without polar plots to prove that the design is valid all you have is unsubstantiated advertising hype to put your faith in before handing over your cash.
I've seen a lot of polar plots in my day but not many from loudspeaker manufacturers.

post #235 of 961 Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Smile

Some Double Impact owners are using the new Line Magnetic 508ia Tube Integrated amp, saying they are a really good match with these speakers!
post #236 of 961 Old 05-16-2017, 01:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
Some Double Impact owners are using the new Line Magnetic 508ia Tube Integrated amp, saying they are a really good match with these speakers!
What would you expect them to say? They've just been skinned for $8000! (Fancy cables not incl.)

Yep, a $5000 tube amp hooked up to $3000 speakers of a non-validated design... that's the way to "high fidelity".
post #237 of 961 Old 05-16-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
What would you expect them to say? They've just been skinned for $8000! (Fancy cables not incl.)

Yep, a $5000 tube amp hooked up to $3000 speakers of a non-validated design... that's the way to "high fidelity".

The DI's may not have been "validated" with measurements to your satisfaction, but they have received, in my view, the more critical validation of satisfied owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #238 of 961 Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
they have received, in my view, the more critical validation of satisfied owners.
As has this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-Acoustim...theater+system

post #239 of 961 Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes one does having to know the source of the information. However people buying the Tektons might be a more reliable source than inexperienced mass consumer of a Bose system in a box.
healthnut and hardeng like this.

post #240 of 961 Old 05-16-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post

The snow flake array of tweeters is weird--then piling them higher and deeper is really weird. The measurements on/off axis should be pretty wild. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. Thanks for the stacking speakers on top of each other flashback--good times!

Couldn't the snow flake arrangement be used to contour the beamwidth to reduce floor/ceiling bounce etc along with raising the overall efficiency.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page