Suggestions for speaker levels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Suggestions for speaker levels

Hello all,

I just set up a new budget HT and wanted some suggestions on speaker levels based on room specs and speaker type... The specs are:

Denon AVR-S510BT
Center: R-25C
Front: R-15M
Rear: R-14M

Room is 1460 cubic feet, hardwood, and 3 inconveniently placed doors. It's my bedroom so I don't have a lot of space to work with. The primary use of the speakers is music with occasional use as a poor man's home theater

The rears are both placed on the desk in order to have stereo output for music and the RR will be moved during movies. With this placement, I ran the Auto Setup on the receiver and it assigned a level of -14 to the RR. All others were assigned a +3 or +4. I was wondering why I was hearing almost nothing from that channel and realized it was set to -14. I placed everything at 0 and was curious what others may have in mind for this setup. I didn't want to overpower them since typical seating will be 3ft. from the rears (for music). The sub doesn't sound great at the current location, but I'm fairly limited in placement and from the center of room it sounds much better.

Any thoughts? Should I just leave them all at default levels with such a small, reflective space? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170403_162920399.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	2066049  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-03-2017, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpattgeek View Post
Hello all,

I just set up a new budget HT and wanted some suggestions on speaker levels based on room specs and speaker type... The specs are:

Denon AVR-S510BT

Room is 1460 cubic feet, hardwood, and 3 inconveniently placed doors. It's my bedroom so I don't have a lot of space to work with. The primary use of the speakers is music with occasional use as a poor man's home theater

The rears are both placed on the desk in order to have stereo output for music and the RR will be moved during movies. With this placement, I ran the Auto Setup on the receiver and it assigned a level of -14 to the RR. All others were assigned a +3 or +4. I was wondering why I was hearing almost nothing from that channel and realized it was set to -14. I placed everything at 0 and was curious what others may have in mind for this setup. I didn't want to overpower them since typical seating will be 3ft. from the rears (for music). The sub doesn't sound great at the current location, but I'm fairly limited in placement and from the center of room it sounds much better.

Any thoughts? Should I just leave them all at default levels with such a small, reflective space? Thanks!

I see 2 bookshelves on the desk, are those your rears, both left and right rear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 04-03-2017, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viorel View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

Denon AVR-S510BT

I see 2 bookshelves on the desk, are those your rears, both left and right rear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is correct!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Try setting the speakers that are on your desk to either side of the bed in a traditional 5.1 configuration then re-run audyssey. Just use stereo mode when listening to music. Also make sure to manually set the speakers to small after running audyssey.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Try setting the speakers that are on your desk to either side of the bed in a traditional 5.1 configuration then re-run audyssey. Just use stereo mode when listening to music. Also make sure to manually set the speakers to small after running audyssey.
From PC, I'm connected via optical and it's using the default Multi-channel Stereo setting. Sound is coming from all channels, including Center, which I thought was excluded in Stereo modes...
post #6 of 9 Old 04-04-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
From PC, I'm connected via optical and it's using the default Multi-channel Stereo setting. Sound is coming from all channels, including Center, which I thought was excluded in Stereo modes...
Multi channel stereo could mean many things but I would imagine your received is playing the right speaker signal through the right surround, left speaker through left surround and a stereo mix through the center channel.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-04-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Quote:
You can just use HDMI from PC to receiver which would be easier.
Are not able to select anything other than multi channel? You can set it to stereo or surround from your AVR remote. Your speaker levels seem way off. You should rerun audyssey and make sure your microphone is properly setup, also shut down your PC and anything else that can generate background noise.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Hello all,

Denon AVR-S510BT

"Default level" is a meaningless concept in this context, since it does not take into account speaker sensitivity or the size and type of listening space.

You must measure actual sound pressure levels!

Start by getting a SPL (sound pressure level) meter.

Don't listen at sustained levels above 90 db unless you want permanent hearing damage.

Last edited by commsysman; 04-04-2017 at 10:58 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 185
My thoughts are get dedicated computer speakers and put the surrounds where they should be and then do the calibration.
Or you can do the calibration as if you are watching a movie and when you are done, fine tune the distance and level or the rear speakers so they match.
The levels are relative depending on distance to the listening space as well as sensitivity of the speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page