May I get a 2.1 sound system recommendation? I'm quite inexperienced. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
May I get a 2.1 sound system recommendation? I'm quite inexperienced.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a sound system to compliment a 55" LG TV I've just bought. My main use will be gaming on the PS4, PC, and WiiU. My space is very limited as I live in a rental basement suite. Also, I can't blast my speakers loudly. 5.1 systems are not possible for me as wiring would get very messy.

I'm looking for a 2.1 system that can provide excellent sound quality (a subwoofer is important to me as I really love bass). If possible I'd like to keep the budget low, but I'd like to have some very high quality sound, so I'm willing to stretch my budget to CAD$1000.

Initially I purchased a Bose Soundtouch 300, but I returned it because it didn't feel like it was worth the $1000 pricetag. Bose's subwoofer costs another $1000, totalling $2000 for a basic 3.1 soundbar+subwoofer system. The soundbar alone honestly didn't sound THAT much better than my in-built LG B6 tv speakers. I know that would make me seem like I don't know what I'm talking about, because I know most in-built TV speakers are terrible, but honestly it was only slightly better and was definitely not worth $1000.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a couple of Klipsch bookshelf speakers, a Yamaha amp, and a Klipsch subwoofer maybe?

Thank you for any recommendations for a 2.1 speaker setup you could give me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Setup.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	2070649  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I bought the Vizio 5.1 sound bar for that exact reason and was pretty happy with it. The subwoofer is remote and the surrounds connect directly to it so you don't have the cable mess. If you're looking for something nicer then Id check out something along those lines. Good luck!!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BismarckZero View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a sound system to compliment a 55" LG TV I've just bought. My main use will be gaming on the PS4, PC, and WiiU. My space is very limited as I live in a rental basement suite. Also, I can't blast my speakers loudly. 5.1 systems are not possible for me as wiring would get very messy.

I'm looking for a 2.1 system that can provide excellent sound quality (a subwoofer is important to me as I really love bass). If possible I'd like to keep the budget low, but I'd like to have some very high quality sound, so I'm willing to stretch my budget to CAD$1000.

Initially I purchased a Bose Soundtouch 300, but I returned it because it didn't feel like it was worth the $1000 pricetag. Bose's subwoofer costs another $1000, totalling $2000 for a basic 3.1 soundbar+subwoofer system. The soundbar alone honestly didn't sound THAT much better than my in-built LG B6 tv speakers. I know that would make me seem like I don't know what I'm talking about, because I know most in-built TV speakers are terrible, but honestly it was only slightly better and was definitely not worth $1000.

Right now I'm thinking of getting a couple of Klipsch bookshelf speakers, a Yamaha amp, and a Klipsch subwoofer maybe?

Check the Q acoustics media 4 if you're looking for pure sound quality. It has an internal subwoofer but if you need an external sub for more bass then you can buy one separately for a lot cheaper and better than what the matching one provides. I believe I'm one of the first one's in this forum to get this sound bar as it's new in the U.S. Sound quality and clarity are amazing. If you're looking to somewhat feel like surround effect then this isn't for you look else where as it doesn't have any sound processing like dts nor Dolby digital. However the speakers are so good that you'd probably careless for all the fancy audio processing. Check it out it's a HI-FI sound bar and it's fairly new in the U.S. will be looking into buying an external sub for mine to see how much better it sounds.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@BismarckZero - Not sure where you are in Canada and frankly, not sure what the damage would be on cost, but I'd suggest taking a look at SVS. See if you can snag a deal on a pair of the Prime Bookshelf speakers with an SB1000 or 2000. It'd be even better if you can find a them from their outlet center- just not sure if they ship to Canada. If you can do that, especially on outlet, you'd be able to have maybe 200-300 bucks in wiggle room to get yourself a nice receiver from Accessories4less.com (again not too sure if they ship to Canada, I'm sure others here could chime in better).

Another option would be taking a look at the Elac Debut B5 or B6 bookshelves, they've gotten quite good feedback from a lot of people here on the forum and would look to offer solid bang for the buck. I'd pair those again with one either an SB1000 or 2000 again. Not sure of the total size of your apartment, but since your a bass guy, you could also go with the PB1000 / 2000, would give you more extension on those movie explosions / deep bass songs.

Can't really tell from your picture, but I think you could get away with putting each bookshelf speaker flanking the TV and the sub on the floor. Maybe hide the router behind your TV.

Anyways, best of luck! I'm sure others will provide some good suggestions as well!
post #5 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked: 3248
Look at Klipsch R15 bookshelf
https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-R-15M-...=klipsch+rb+15

Look at the Fluance subwoofer
https://www.amazon.ca/Fluance-DB10MA...ome+subwoofers

Yamaha receiver
https://www.amazon.ca/Yamaha-RXV-379...amaha+receiver

If needed, get some speaker stands
BismarckZero and Roger Wise like this.

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 04-06-2017 at 09:24 PM.
post #6 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 2133
Good choices already, there are a lot better value out there than Bose!

If you are in Canada, I think Ascend Acoustic are sold in Canada- does anyone know if that is right? Great speakers and really good value...

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
post #7 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 9548 Post(s)
Liked: 6589
Quote:
Hey everyone,

BIC subwoofer, $324.

https://www.amazon.ca/Acoustech-H-10...words=bic+h100

KEF Q100 front ported bookshelves for easy placement; $388

https://www.amazon.ca/KEF-Q100B-Book...s=kef+speakers

Denon receiver $300.

https://www.amazon.ca/Denon-AVR-S510...denon+receiver
BismarckZero and sigpig like this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #8 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 92
My proposed setup for myself (before demoing any of it) after collecting opinions on the forum:

Yamaha RX-A660
Ascend Acoustic CMT-340 SE
HSU VTF-3 MK5

$1656 USD, but possibly be lower.

However, this is more music / critical listening focused.
post #9 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
My proposed setup for myself (before demoing any of it) after collecting opinions on the forum:

Yamaha RX-A660
Ascend Acoustic CMT-340 SE
HSU VTF-3 MK5

$1656 USD, but possibly be lower.

However, this is more music / critical listening focused.
The media 4 really sounds great pretty much anything you throw at it.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7704 Post(s)
Liked: 5852
Quote:

In Canada, where your internet-direct speaker choices are extremely limited and prices are at least 25-50% higher compared to the US, this is the one jaw-dropping speaker bargain at the moment...whopping 25% LESS than the US sale price!

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Supe...s=nht+superone

2-3 of those across the front, plus one of these and you'll be all set:
https://www.electronicsforless.ca/sv...ofer-3884.html
Shadowed likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #11 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
In Canada, where your internet-direct speaker choices are extremely limited and prices are at least 25-50% higher compared to the US, this is the one jaw-dropping speaker bargain at the moment...whopping 25% LESS than the US sale price!

https://www.amazon.ca/NHT-Audio-Supe...s=nht+superone

2-3 of those across the front, plus one of these and you'll be all set:
https://www.electronicsforless.ca/sv...ofer-3884.html
How does this compare against the Ascend?
post #12 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
How does this compare against the Ascend?
The SuperOne probably produces more bass than its Ascend counterpart, the CBM-170SE. The 170SE *might* be a tad more accurate/neutral but whether YOUR ears will find that more or less pleasing is impossible to predict. I think they are pretty neck and neck.

Oh, and if WAF comes into play, the NHT blows the Ascend out of the water...like all NHTs it's got a beautiful glossy finish the photos don't do any justice to and is a relatively sleek compact shape compared to the 170's weird boxy shape (which grew on me personally, since I'm a Scion XB fan, lol). And being a sealed design, it gives you all kinds of placement flexibility.
BismarckZero likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #13 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the great recommendations!

I've read through each of your posts very carefully, and studied all the choices. I think it's about time I step away from out-of-box home theater systems and get myself the whole set up like you guys recommend.

@Zorba922 I've spent the better part of today scratching my head at all the choices presented in this thread, and I think it seems pretty clear that the SVS PB-1000 is the best subwoofer choice, however, is there a cheaper option within the CAD$300-400 range that would be good? CAD$700 seems very steep for a subwoofer that I can't really fire up, as my landlord would have issues.
As for speakers, it seems everyone's recommending something different. I'm inclined to go with the speakers you've suggested (Although I've never heard of NHT Audio, but what do I know). I noticed you said 2-3 speakers, do you mean I should use a third one as a center speaker? Will the amp I buy (Assuming its the Denon AVR-S510BT) be able to spread my sound correctly to a 3.1 channel from my PS4/PC?

Finally, do you think it's viable for me to consider floorstanding speakers on each side of my TV, as it would eliminate the need for speaker stands if I were to get a bookshelf pair.
post #14 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the great recommendations!

however, is there a cheaper option within the CAD$300-400 range that would be good? CAD$700 seems very steep for a subwoofer that I can't really fire up, as my landlord would have issues.
As for speakers, it seems everyone's recommending something different.
Finally, do you think it's viable for me to consider floorstanding speakers on each side of my TV, as it would eliminate the need for speaker stands if I were to get a bookshelf pair.
your space is tight around your TV to begin with -- how much space do you have between the tv cabinet and the side wall?

you can get a nice system (speakers, sub, and receiver) for under $1000 that will dance on top of what you use to own

----------------
Who AM I
post #15 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
your space is tight around your TV to begin with -- how much space do you have between the tv cabinet and the side wall?

you can get a nice system (speakers, sub, and receiver) for under $1000 that will dance on top of what you use to own
Accounting for the little ledge coming from the kitchen counter, there is exactly 10 inches (25.5cm) of space on each side of the TV, meaning the maximum width a tower speaker could be is 10inches.
post #16 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Accounting for the little ledge coming from the kitchen counter, there is exactly 10 inches (25.5cm) of space on each side of the TV, meaning the maximum width a tower speaker could be is 10inches.
Bookshelf speakers with stands can still tend to be cheaper than towers -- and it would leave some room for the speakers to breathe (radiate) around the placement area.

----------------
Who AM I
post #17 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You should get something like these speakers. Not only will they fit on the stand to the sides of the TV, you'll get the added benefit of matching your KitchenAid.

BismarckZero and AudioNewGuy like this.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: Polk R15
post #18 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked: 3031
Kef Q100 $348
http://www.2001audiovideo.com/en/cat...82842-KEF-Q100
BIC America F12 $300
https://www.amazon.ca/BIC-America-F1...ywords=bic+f12
Denon AVR S700W $250
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....ock-avr-s700w/
BismarckZero and sigpig like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #19 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Bookshelf speakers with stands can still tend to be cheaper than towers -- and it would leave some room for the speakers to breathe (radiate) around the placement area.
Okay, I'll stick to the bookshelf speakers, I think it might be overkill to get tower speakers for my small room too. I was thinking the Klipsch was the most stylish looking set, but it seems like the Elac B6 and the NHT SuperOne 2.1 are better. Do you have a recommendations yourself zieglj01?
post #20 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo4u View Post
You should get something like these speakers. Not only will they fit on the stand to the sides of the TV, you'll get the added benefit of matching your KitchenAid.

Haha, this made my day, I actually laughed out loud
post #21 of 44 Old 04-06-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Haha, this made my day, I actually laughed out loud
Then my work here is done.

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1022-K
Sub: SVS SB12-NSD
Fronts: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Center: Chane A2.4
Surrounds: Polk R15
post #22 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Okay, I'll stick to the bookshelf speakers, I think it might be overkill to get tower speakers for my small room too. I was thinking the Klipsch was the most stylish looking set, but it seems like the Elac B6 and the NHT SuperOne 2.1 are better. Do you have a recommendations yourself zieglj01?
Either one will work -- all are better than what you had -- just because one may say that NHT is better, it does not mean that you would overall prefer it. Audio is subjective and about personal preference. Now with that said >>

To start with, you may want to get a receiver and get a pair of the NHT and Klipsch to test both out. Then send the loser back. Then maybe test the Elac if you desire -- then send the loser back. You can work some stands in your budget, some good prices on Amazon. When you choose your final speakers, then pick your sub. However, if you have room in your budget to handle the testing of speakers with a sub at the same time, then pick your sub. In your place and with certain restrictions, you do not need a 500 or 600 dollar sub to enjoy good sound. You can get a decent sub for less that will beat your former system.
dsrussell and Leon O like this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #23 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Okay, Do you have a recommendations yourself zieglj01?
NHT or Klipsch for speakers -- depending on your budget. KEF is also nice -- if budget permits

Even look into the Pioneer sub -- however, this Bic should work for you
https://www.amazon.ca/BIC-America-F1...=bic+subwoofer

Best Buy Ca -- Klipsch sub SW110
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10155128.aspx?

https://www.amazon.ca/Pioneer-SW-8MK...oneer+home+sub

Even the Pioneer sub has been measured to hit 30 HZ >>

The SW-8MK2’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3-dB point is at 31 Hz and the –6-dB point is at 29 Hz. The upper –3-dB point is at 137 Hz with the FREQ control set to maximum.
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...Fq7xgXsqpcr.99

The links tend to go back to Amazon USA -- make sure you look at Amazon Ca

----------------
Who AM I

Last edited by zieglj01; 04-07-2017 at 09:30 AM.
post #24 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
@Zorba922 I've spent the better part of today scratching my head at all the choices presented in this thread, and I think it seems pretty clear that the SVS PB-1000 is the best subwoofer choice, however, is there a cheaper option within the CAD$300-400 range that would be good? CAD$700 seems very steep for a subwoofer that I can't really fire up, as my landlord would have issues.

As for speakers, it seems everyone's recommending something different. I'm inclined to go with the speakers you've suggested (Although I've never heard of NHT Audio, but what do I know). I noticed you said 2-3 speakers, do you mean I should use a third one as a center speaker? Will the amp I buy (Assuming its the Denon AVR-S510BT) be able to spread my sound correctly to a 3.1 channel from my PS4/PC?

Yeah, I'd avoid the floorstanders because bookshelf speakes with even a cheap sub will outperform any pair of floorstanders especially at the entry-level pricepoint.

In the $300-400CAD range your best bet is probably a BIC F12:

Or, if you can spend an extra $127 CAD:
https://www.amazon.ca/Bic-Acoustech-...ywords=bic+f12

NHT is not a mass market brand like Bose or Polk, but that's exactly where the best bang-for-the-buck is usually found. They are well regarded however, google up some reviews.

post #25 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd avoid the floorstanders because bookshelf speakes with even a cheap sub will outperform any pair of floorstanders especially at the entry-level pricepoint.

In the $300-400CAD range your best bet is probably a BIC F12:

Or, if you can spend an extra $127 CAD:
https://www.amazon.ca/Bic-Acoustech-...ywords=bic+f12

NHT is not a mass market brand like Bose or Polk, but that's exactly where the best bang-for-the-buck is usually found. They are well regarded however, google up some reviews.
The BIC H100 is a few dollars more but its footprint is much smaller and it plays a hair deeper according to the manufacturer with its slightly more powerful amp.

Small space like the OP has getting smaller footprint and similar performance is likely a factor to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006DNW6U...rum-convert-20

Geoff A. J., California
post #26 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Get a Fluance Fi70 and booze. Plenty of booze.

Seriously, It has bachelor pad written all over it and it'll look so nice in your man cave once you're married (if you don't go too heavy on the booze).
post #27 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
The BIC H100 is a few dollars more but its footprint is much smaller and it plays a hair deeper according to the manufacturer with its slightly more powerful amp.

Small space like the OP has getting smaller footprint and similar performance is likely a factor to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006DNW6U...rum-convert-20
Well, on Canada Amazon the H100 is just $100CAD less than the PL200...I'd take the PL200 and the slightly bigger footprint:

post #28 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Well, on Canada Amazon the H100 is just $100CAD less than the PL200...I'd take the PL200 and the slightly bigger footprint:
That's a lot of money when on a budget for a 2hz improvement in extension and a larger footprint in a small space.

Geoff A. J., California
post #29 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
That's a lot of money when on a budget for a 2hz improvement in extension and a larger footprint in a small space.
That's if you trust BIC's claimed bass extension spec on the H100.

This is the same company that claims its otherwise-excellent FH6-LCR goes down to 40Hz, when about double that would be much more accurate.

I've been burned before by bogus specs on cheap subs. Once had a JBL EP150 listed as 25Hz bottom end, baw-hahahahahahaha!

post #30 of 44 Old 04-07-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That's if you trust BIC's claimed bass extension spec on the H100.

This is the same company that claims its otherwise-excellent FH6-LCR goes down to 40Hz, when about double that would be much more accurate.

I've been burned before by bogus specs on cheap subs. Once had a JBL EP150 listed as 25Hz bottom end, baw-hahahahahahaha!
So if you can't trust the manufacturer that there is a 2hz difference in low frequency response for your $100 are you suggesting that it is more than 2hz or less than 2hz?

At this point I think we've accomplished turning the OP off to BIC subs which is a shame as in Canada choices are quite limited and reviews of the subs in question are hard to come across.

Interestingly it seems HSU was involved in helping with the design of the first H100 subwoofer but not the second.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html
Zorba922 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page