Securing large bookshelf speakers to stands, how? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By kyzer soze
  • 1 Post By function12
  • 1 Post By godfatherip

post #1 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Securing large bookshelf speakers to stands, how?

Hello, recently got some SVS ultra bookshelves and got some stands to use for them, these are the stands I got:

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adj.../dp/B003WMUXGE

They are meant to hold up to 30lbs and the svs ultra's are only 19lbs.

The problem is that I am really worried about the speakers "sliding" off the base, when I have the center titlted downward a bit. There's really nothing holding it but side clamps, nothing on the bottom or anything.

Is there a better way to secure the speaker to the stands to keep it from slipping off or just making it more secure in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiler View Post
Hello, recently got some SVS ultra bookshelves and got some stands to use for them, these are the stands I got:

The problem is that I am really worried about the speakers "sliding" off the base, when I have the center titlted downward a bit. There's really nothing holding it but side clamps, nothing on the bottom or anything.

Is there a better way to secure the speaker to the stands to keep it from slipping off or just making it more secure in general?
I was worried about this very thing when I bought Def Tech SM 65 bookshelf speakers and the matching stands but I just put on the rubber things that come with the speakers and stands and I was surprised at how sturdy and steady they stay on there. It's actually pretty cool. They feel pretty secure on there to be honest, to very secure. My stands are metal so I don't know if there is a difference there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8974 Post(s)
Liked: 6933
Here ya go: https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-0609...words=blu+tack
Leon O, Madmax67 and RayGuy like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Will the Blu Tack keep the 19lbs secure from slipping even when they are tilted?
post #5 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
A single screw up through the stand into the bottom of the speaker would prevent them from sliding off.

Yamaha, Tannoy, & Polk
post #6 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Very few speaker stands have any type of additional clamping or methods for securing the speaker to the top plate. I've seen clamps like these for wall mounts, but not for a stand. This is one of the more secure stands I've seen, other than a few OEM stands that have brackets to match the mounting inserts on the matching speaker. In most cases you should be fine with those clamps. Blue Tac might give you some piece of mind.

Are you using the Ultra Bookshelves as surrounds? If they are mains you may want to lower them so that the speakers are level and the tweeters are close to your ear height when seated at your MLP.

If they do need to be higher (such as use for surrounds), then you should also be concerned about ensuring they have a stable enough base.

Some AV enthusiasts prefer to have their speakers isolated from their stand (minimal contact) to reduce resonance transmitted between the speaker and the stand. In practicality, these folks do not have pets or young children
post #7 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
I currently use the same thing for my Sierra 2's never had a problem.
Zorba922 likes this.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #8 of 18 Old 05-07-2017, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
Very few speaker stands have any type of additional clamping or methods for securing the speaker to the top plate. I've seen clamps like these for wall mounts, but not for a stand. This is one of the more secure stands I've seen, other than a few OEM stands that have brackets to match the mounting inserts on the matching speaker. In most cases you should be fine with those clamps. Blue Tac might give you some piece of mind.

Are you using the Ultra Bookshelves as surrounds? If they are mains you may want to lower them so that the speakers are level and the tweeters are close to your ear height when seated at your MLP.

If they do need to be higher (such as use for surrounds), then you should also be concerned about ensuring they have a stable enough base.

Some AV enthusiasts prefer to have their speakers isolated from their stand (minimal contact) to reduce resonance transmitted between the speaker and the stand. In practicality, these folks do not have pets or young children

Yes, I 'm going to be running all svs ultra's bookshelves for the three front + two surrounds.

For the front L/R I am using normal VTI stands that are a lot more stable/sturdy (http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/prod...nds-rf-series/) they don't tilt or anything though so I'm not worried about those holding the speakers.

That's why I got these, to use for my center (placing it above the tv and angled down) and then the two surrounds that I'm putting two feet above ear level.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-08-2017, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I have used these in the past to keep my wife from knocking speakers off stands.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Br...0ACS/202261929
Had to use two straps for each speaker.

Here is another solution with velcro. This is just cut to length. I wish they had that when I was looking.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Br...1372/202319264
JonfromCB likes this.

Last edited by function12; 05-08-2017 at 01:57 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

I just bought these Velcro strips to attach my speakers to the stands and they have worked well. I don't know if they will be a problem to remove, but I have no intention of taking them off any time soon.
JonfromCB likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-09-2017, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Blu tacks. Seriously, just trust them.

I have my ultras on those slightly "wobbly" Sanus NF stands and they stay put since 1 year ago. Hasn't move an inch, I know because I just remeasured my speaker to front wall distance a few days ago and it's been the exact same.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well I got the stands and stuff today, no way am I going to trust these cheap stands.

The stand says it supports 30lbs speakers, but with the 19lb speaker on it the entire base is wobbly and can easily be toppled over, and having it directly above a 65" tv that it'd fall into? No freaking way.

So now I have to try and find some more sturdy stands.

I got the blu tack and everything now, just need a stand that actually has some weigh in the base and won't be wobbly/topple over. Anyone know of any stands that have that and can tilt the speaker down/raise the height?
post #13 of 18 Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I got the stands and stuff today, no way am I going to trust these cheap stands.

The stand says it supports 30lbs speakers, but with the 19lb speaker on it the entire base is wobbly and can easily be toppled over, and having it directly above a 65" tv that it'd fall into? No freaking way.

So now I have to try and find some more sturdy stands.

I got the blu tack and everything now, just need a stand that actually has some weigh in the base and won't be wobbly/topple over. Anyone know of any stands that have that and can tilt the speaker down/raise the height?
The Def Tech ones that go with the studio monitor line are expensive but they are extremely sturdy. They are built like tanks, they are metal stands. They are extremely stable too. I did not want to buy them at first and I looked far and wide for an alternative but ended up having to get them because nothing else was as sturdy. Really, really sturdy and stable. 150 for a pair.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

I just looked up that, they don't seem to tilt though. I need something that can place the speaker behind the tv and above it with a tilt so it's firing the sound toward the listening area.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-10-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just looked up that, they don't seem to tilt though. I need something that can place the speaker behind the tv and above it with a tilt so it's firing the sound toward the listening area.
No they don't tilt but you could get a speaker pad to put underneath to angle them or tilt them you would like it.
Actually now that I think about it you can tilt them a bit with the feet they come with. You can tilt then up or down.

post #16 of 18 Old 05-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Do the clamps hold the speaker? The description says it fits speakers from 5.5" up. The SVS are only 5" wide. Unless I have different SVS bookshelf speakers?
post #17 of 18 Old 06-25-2018, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdolfan View Post
Do the clamps hold the speaker? The description says it fits speakers from 5.5" up. The SVS are only 5" wide. Unless I have different SVS bookshelf speakers?

Sorry for the late reply but my experience with those were terrible. In no way were they secure enough to hold these speakers, as soon as I got the stands and set it up the weight was no where near sufficient to hold the 19lbs speakers, they would easily fall over, etc.

I ended up going with VTI stands which were more expensive but held the weight of the speakers a loooooot better, I used blu tack to help secure them to the top plate for piece of mind as well.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/vti_...speaker-stand/
post #18 of 18 Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdolfan View Post

Sorry for the late reply but my experience with those were terrible. In no way were they secure enough to hold these speakers, as soon as I got the stands and set it up the weight was no where near sufficient to hold the 19lbs speakers, they would easily fall over, etc.

I ended up going with VTI stands which were more expensive but held the weight of the speakers a loooooot better, I used blu tack to help secure them to the top plate for piece of mind as well.

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/vti_...speaker-stand/
Hi,

Where did you buy the VTI stands?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page