Help with transition to Atmos setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 979
Help with transition to Atmos setup

I would like a check on my plan to try to move to a 5.1.4 Atmos setup.

My HT setup is in our living room so asthetics and placement are limiting factors. My current 5.1 + front heights setup is as per attached pics and equipment listed in sig. Let me give a little back story to current setup. Moved in 2011 and knew little about audio then. Had AV installer insatll front L/R in walls (now used at front heights) and wired for rear wall mounted surrounds. I think they were installed so high for asthetics which now may work to my advantage. It's an old house and wiring, especially the rears, was a major pain and it took 2 days for a very experienced insatller. So further wiring will have to be run in room. I've since upgraded L/C/R as you can see and repurposed in walls as front heights. Due to room layout and having sofa right up aginst window there is no good place for true side surrounds. The current surounds surprisingly work quite well. They still are off the the side of the MLP although back about 7 ft. They are flipped so tweeters aiming down a bit. I think due to some reflection off the side walls they still give a fairly good side surround effect although sometimes it does seem a little high. Overall I think it is a good sounding 5.1 + heights setup, at least for me.

I am thinking it shouldn't be too difficult to make this into a 5.1.4 Atmos setup but wanted some input before I did anything. My thought was to run speaker wire in room to rear. If I use white wire and run along side wall with window on top of molding and then around back along floor edge it should be pretty inconspicuous. I would purchase surrounds (to be determined) for stands so they are about ear height and place in same corners where current wall mounted surrounds are. Would then re-purpose the wall mounted polk OWM3s as rear heights. Not sure if I should leave them flipped so tweeter angled down. Would obviously need a new AVR and want to stick with Denon.It seems I need the X4300 to do a .4 Atmos setup. I don't listen at near reference so I don't think I would need an external amp. At some point down the road I may upgrade fronts and could make sure I choose a very efficient speaker such as Klipsch RP series. Ideally my fronts should be further apart I know but that puts the L front in a prime spot to be bumped into and knocked over by my 3 yo twins always running in and out so they stay there for now. I know front and rear hights are not optimal per Dolby but it seems well documented on the forums that it works fairly well. Also may add a second PC12+ sub if the wife allows. So any thoughts on this transition? Thanks.

Edit: If you think this is a better question for the "General Home Theater & Media/Game Rooms" forum I can post there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	2127081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	2127089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	2127097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	2127105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	2127113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	2127121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	2127129  

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2

Last edited by confinoj; 05-09-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Can you float the sectional over to the left, centered in the room, looking towards the TV? If so, you could place stand mounted side surrounds and run flat cable under the rug. As for the heights. Front. Can you fish the wires from the in walls to the ceiling and add front overheads? For the rear, how were the wires run. If through the ceiling you may be able to intercept them and install rear ceilings. If you can make the ceilings work you could end up with a really cool 7.1.4. Good luck with your setup. I have 5.1.4 and it's a big improvement over my prior 5.1.2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
Can you float the sectional over to the left, centered in the room, looking towards the TV? If so, you could place stand mounted side surrounds and run flat cable under the rug. As for the heights. Front. Can you fish the wires from the in walls to the ceiling and add front overheads? For the rear, how were the wires run. If through the ceiling you may be able to intercept them and install rear ceilings. If you can make the ceilings work you could end up with a really cool 7.1.4. Good luck with your setup. I have 5.1.4 and it's a big improvement over my prior 5.1.2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No don't want to move sectional. I don't really want to do anymore in wall/in ceiling wiring. I worry about running into problems in this house given prior experiences. Trying to keep it simple for now. I think down the road will put a higher end system in basement when kids are little older and not using it as a play space. My main question is what I am proposing a worthwhile effort for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup despite the sub-optimal placement. That being said SVS actually promotes front and rear heights for Atmos using their elevation speakers. This is part of the reason I think this should be reasonable.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
No don't want to move sectional. I don't really want to do anymore in wall/in ceiling wiring. I worry about running into problems in this house given prior experiences. Trying to keep it simple for now. I think down the road will put a higher end system in basement when kids are little older and not using it as a play space. My main question is what I am proposing a worthwhile effort for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup despite the sub-optimal placement. That being said SVS actually promotes front and rear heights for Atmos using their elevation speakers. This is part of the reason I think this should be reasonable.

I see. I think you'd have some effects by adding stand mounted speakers under the rears and assigning the higher ones as heights. How high off the floor are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthony1 View Post
I see. I think you'd have some effects by adding stand mounted speakers under the rears and assigning the higher ones as heights. How high off the floor are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think about 6 1/2 ft. Ceilings are 8 ft.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Consider a wireless rear speaker kit?

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2017, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Consider a wireless rear speaker kit?
I thought about that. I don't think, however, running in room wires for rear surrounds on stands will be a big deal. If I add a second sub in one of the rear corners that I would do wireless as running RCA or coax around 90 deg bends of molding won't be as feasible as speaker wire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page