Apple Introduces HomePod Wireless Speaker - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #1 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8815 Post(s)
Liked: 15479
Apple Introduces HomePod Wireless Speaker

Breaking news: Apple's HomePod competes with Sonos and Amazon Echo, too. The new, $349 speaker supports multi-room audio, promises high fidelity, and offers Siri voice assistant...

Here's my post: Apple Introduces HomePod Wireless Speaker with Siri

Here's a link to Apple's site: https://www.apple.com/homepod/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-05-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Breaking news: Apple's HomePod competes with Sonos and Amazon Echo, too. The new, $349 speaker supports multi-room audio, promises high fidelity, and offers Siri voice assistant...

Post coming soon, for now here's a link to Apple's site: https://www.apple.com/homepod/
A seven tweeter array + high excursion woofer! Yeehah!
post #3 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
A seven tweeter array + high excursion woofer! Yeehah!
Wait, did Apple subcontract design to Tekton?

It looks like a neat product, but they have a huge hill to climb vs Amazon. Alexa has been in the wild for a long time and has built up quite a wide array of 'skills' and functionality with a ton of products.

If anyone can do it it's Apple, but they have a lot of ground to make up.
Morames likes this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post

It looks like a neat product, but they have a huge hill to climb vs Amazon. Alexa has been in the wild for a long time and has built up quite a wide array of 'skills' and functionality with a ton of products.

I strongly agree, and that has been the sentiment among other folks in the industry that I've spoken to on this topic. Amazon got my respect with how it made Alexa and Echo happen.

Interesting that another announcement today is Amazon Prime on Apple TV, it sure would be nice if these two companies would get along a little bit better. And maybe someday they can do a big group hug with Google and we'll all benefit. I'm tired of balkanized, fragmented content ecosystems.
VideoGrabber and Morames like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
"Sonos killer"?

No my friends, that's a chump change market for Apple.

This here device is Apple working their way towards making the existing receiver and loudspeaker players utterly and totally redundant.

And frankly some of them - particularly in the receivers - deserve it, as they have been milking consumers with annual rehashes of nothing for far too long.
ptlurking and RLBURNSIDE like this.
post #6 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 132
another "ground breaking" product...

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #7 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post

I deleted my Tekton comment before posting. Haha
post #8 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 03:14 PM
CSO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey Siri, turn on the lights.
Oh hell. I'll turn on the lights myself.

While Alexa is usually excellent at getting the command correct, Siri is worse than terrible. Apple has to bring MUCH more than hardware to this market.
Mikenificent1 and Kevin4730 like this.
post #9 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post
"Sonos killer"?

This here device is Apple working their way towards making the existing receiver and loudspeaker players utterly and totally redundant.
Actually there is a lot of truth in that statement. A few years ago Apple stores sold a large variety of computer speakers, then they came out with the Apple iPod HiFi, and away when the competition. Their product was crappy it failed, but Job was comparing it actually to better quality HiFi setups, all you need.

Recently they purged most of the headphone and earbuds in the store because of their Beats deal. Yep take a walk through their store, its actually resembling a ATT or Verizon store with a Genius counter.

Might be hope though as Apple was pressured to finally revisit computers - laptops, iMacs, and even a iMac Pro today.

Oppo Beta Group
post #10 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 135
This certainly won't be replacing anyone's hi-fi/home theater setup, but it has it's place. Unfortunately it, won't have a place in my home, mainly because of the lack of a battery, and thus portability. I don't have whole home audio, just a 5.1 home theater, and eventually, a set of powered monitors for the bedroom TV. If it were portable, this could have gone quite a ways in filling in the gaps for me, including a speaker I could take into the bathroom, or outside to the fire pit. This would've been especially nice with Airplay 2, which gives the ability for whole home audio embedded right into iOS. Maybe HomePod 2 will include a battery.
yippiechicken likes this.

Sony XBR-55X900E (My Calibration Settings)
Denon AVR-X2200W
Klipsch RP-260F | RP-450C | RP-250F | R-110SW | RP-140SA
post #11 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Imagine if the let you use this in a 7.2.4 set up!
Morames likes this.
post #12 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
I strongly agree, and that has been the sentiment among other folks in the industry that I've spoken to on this topic. Amazon got my respect with how it made Alexa and Echo happen.

Interesting that another announcement today is Amazon Prime on Apple TV, it sure would be nice if these two companies would get along a little bit better. And maybe someday they can do a big group hug with Google and we'll all benefit. I'm tired of balkanized, fragmented content ecosystems.
I'm 100% with you on that one. I wish that we could buy movies once rather than having to deal with Apple, Amazon, Walmart (Vudu) etc. I even had to buy two copies of Labyrinth on Apple just to get the extra content. The movie industry wonders why people pirate movies? All they have to do is look at the struggle it is for us to watch one of their overpriced films. Sorry soapbox. I'm stepping off now.

I think it's going to be hard for Apple to compete with the Echo though. It just came down in price, and is always improving. It doesn't have the best speakers, but the Echo Dot hooks up to my speakers and suddenly I've got way, way better sound than Apple can ever hope to produce. It all comes down to the personal assistants and the price tag. Apple just lost in both of those spaces. So the main target customers are going to be who? Apple fans that, like Pokemon, gotta have em all?

I'm curious, but that's where my primary interest dies.
cmdrdredd and BufordTJustice like this.
post #13 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts2207 View Post
This certainly won't be replacing anyone's hi-fi/home theater setup.
You under estimate the power of "convenient, connected and good enough". Because that's how for many young people people, a tablet or even a phone has replaced their television. Or how their smartphone replaced a DSLR.

It's not old fogies on an internet message board for whom this is, disruptive but rather for young folks who will simply get this stuff and never go beyond it to buy a receiver or passive speakers.
jgiddyup and SunByrne like this.
post #14 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Imagine if the let you use this in a 7.2.4 set up!
That connectivity would be smart, but I'm not sure Apple has that much interest in sound. The best part of their music announcements was the airplay 2 which can connect all the apple connected systems in your house at once. I have two home stereo's and will eventually have a second Apple TV, playing music on both could be really interesting, especially with it synced up. Talk about loud.
post #15 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 860
I been a fan of Apple products, especially computers for years, but not sure if this unit is going to fly that well. The best speaker all in one system that will eventually win out is the one that plays fair to all of the software that is out their! If you have to buy the Amazon/Google and or Apple device only to have to use it's music service, this will cause grid lock for some people. I have a Harman Kardon Onyx 3 that I won and I am completely amazed on how much better this unit sounds than my Sonos play 5 or the Alexa Echo we have, and you can basically feed it what you want.. Plus at $136.00 on amazon it's a steal right now. I like the idea of 360 sound, but the horn tweeter is not going over well with me as they tend to sound bright to my ears.. But hey, this is just background music not critical listening!

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #16 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
You under estimate the power of "convenient, connected and good enough". Because that's how for many young people people, a tablet or even a phone has replaced their television. Or how their smartphone replaced a DSLR.

It's not old fogies on an internet message board for whom this is, disruptive but rather for young folks who will simply get this stuff and never go beyond it to buy a receiver or passive speakers.
Hey now, I'm only 28.

Hopefully for some people at least, this will be their first step rather than their last, on the road to what 'quality' audio sounds like. This will certainly sound better than the iPhone speakers so many people tolerate.

Sony XBR-55X900E (My Calibration Settings)
Denon AVR-X2200W
Klipsch RP-260F | RP-450C | RP-250F | R-110SW | RP-140SA
post #17 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4521
Quote:
"Sonos killer"?

And frankly some of them - particularly in the receivers - deserve it, as they have been milking consumers with annual rehashes of nothing for far too long.
That depends, I doubt that people looking at AVRs are comparing them to a wireless sound system. They aren't the same market. The AVR just happens to offer similar functionality as a bonus. It is the side dish while the main course is controlling your home theater. People who want an actual home theater system won't be looking at something like this. Maybe people who have sound bars or something though.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 06-05-2017 at 05:45 PM.
post #18 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Well if the Apple TV doesn't go 4k HDR, it won't matter anyway. Maybe Amazon is just giving as an appetizer. I saw where Amazon and Apple are cooperating to purchase Toshiba's chip biz.
post #19 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Apple Introduces HomePod Wireless Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
I been a fan of Apple products, especially computers for years, but not sure if this unit is going to fly that well. The best speaker all in one system that will eventually win out is the one that plays fair to all of the software that is out their! If you have to buy the Amazon/Google and or Apple device only to have to use it's music service, this will cause grid lock for some people. I have a Harman Kardon Onyx 3 that I won and I am completely amazed on how much better this unit sounds than my Sonos play 5 or the Alexa Echo we have, and you can basically feed it what you want.. Plus at $136.00 on amazon it's a steal right now. I like the idea of 360 sound, but the horn tweeter is not going over well with me as they tend to sound bright to my ears.. But hey, this is just background music not critical listening!

The Homepod isn't 360 sound, which doesn't work. Obviously if the Homepod can do digital beam forming with the mic, it can do beam forming for the speaker function, tuning the speaker to your direction.

Also horn tweeters, if made from the proper materials can be great and efficient. As to brightness, that is strictly a function of design.
post #20 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRadar View Post
The Homepod isn't 360 sound, which doesn't work. Obviously if the Homepod can do digital beam forming with the mic, it can do beam forming for the speaker function, tuning the speaker to your direction.

Also horn tweeters, if made from the proper materials can be great and efficient. As to brightness, that is strictly a function of design.
http://mashable.com/2017/06/05/apple.../#dEuj5AgQ5sqB <<<<<< Well then this article obviously got the 360 sound statement incorrect... I agree with you 360 rarely works correctly but with 7 tweeter array all away around it, more omni directional beam forming. The only horn tweeters I have heard that l liked were in some very high end speakers, most very efficient but not too my liking, but once again this is a unit for background music for me and will never function as a high level listening device in my mind. It would be nice if Apple likes other sound software play nice with it, besides just iTunes, but I doubt if that will happen.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
post #21 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
http://mashable.com/2017/06/05/apple.../#dEuj5AgQ5sqB <<<<<< Well then this article obviously got the 360 sound statement incorrect... I agree with you 360 rarely works correctly but with 7 tweeter array all away around it, more omni directional beam forming. The only horn tweeters I have heard that l liked were in some very high end speakers, most very efficient but not too my liking, but once again this is a unit for background music for me and will never function as a high level listening device in my mind. It would be nice if Apple likes other sound software play nice with it, besides just iTunes, but I doubt if that will happen.
Best I can tell that article is describing a calibration routine whereby because it can send directional audio, the speaker can perform calculations regarding response using data it obtains by sending directional audio cues and then recording their reflection.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #22 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Best I can tell that article is describing a calibration routine whereby because it can send directional audio, the speaker can perform calculations regarding response using data it obtains by sending directional audio cues and then recording their reflection.
"HomePod (which you do have to plug into an electric outlet) builds spatial awareness by playing 360-degree audio while the built-in microphones listen. That's right, the Apple HomePod starts by entertaining itself." <<<< Says by playing 360 degree audio... So I guess that is a misconception then by the person who wrote this, which wouldn't surprise me.

post #23 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm hoping that the new Airplay 2 protocol might result in a better Sonos integration. It would be nice to stream Podcasts from my phone to my Sonos units. It's embarrassing to actually find myself listening on my phone speakers out of convenience vs. the Sonos units in pretty much every room. And yes, I know about the airplay aux-in workaround.
post #24 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
"HomePod (which you do have to plug into an electric outlet) builds spatial awareness by playing 360-degree audio while the built-in microphones listen. That's right, the Apple HomePod starts by entertaining itself." <<<< Says by playing 360 degree audio... So I guess that is a misconception then by the person who wrote this, which wouldn't surprise me.
It's 360-degree in the sense that the tweeter array is circular and fires out.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #25 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Does less than the competition was doing years ago.
Still has the worst least intelligent personal assistant.
Costs much more.

Will sell like crazy and make Apple $$$$.

Its interesting they decided not to compete with the true assistants like Alexa/Home/Cortana and instead are going after the traditional Apple market of people who want to be cool, and will get this to play music vs buying traditional speakers/soundbars/sound systems.
ntculenuf likes this.
post #26 of 373 Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSO View Post
Oh hell. I'll turn on the lights myself.

While Alexa is usually excellent at getting the command correct, Siri is worse than terrible. Apple has to bring MUCH more than hardware to this market.
That exactly my experience with Siri. Lmao!
post #27 of 373 Old 06-06-2017, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
Its interesting they decided not to compete with the true assistants like Alexa/Home/Cortana and instead are going after the traditional Apple market of people who want to be cool, and will get this to play music vs buying traditional speakers/soundbars/sound systems.
Now that's a little short sighted. You could say the same for certain car manufacturers. People who buy expensive cars and want to be cool vs buying traditional cars. Yet I don't see people hating on Porsche, for example, even though they drive their mom's car. And let's not forget that this is an unreleased product. I also know, as you say, traditional Apple market of people who are definitely not cool, but simply prefer products that have more than 1 hour of thought put into it before it was assembled compared to the competition. But hey, if it's cheap people will buy it.
post #28 of 373 Old 06-06-2017, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 5645 Post(s)
Liked: 2668
Quote:
It's 360-degree in the sense that the tweeter array is circular and fires out.
They didn't disclose the construction of the horn. It might be an array of 7 horns. All we've seen so far is the back of the tweeters which face to the outside.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 11.44.59.png
Views:	3335
Size:	673.3 KB
ID:	2173794  

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #29 of 373 Old 06-06-2017, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:

which may actually be happening. Amazon prime on the ATV and the echo now supports iCloud calendars.
post #30 of 373 Old 06-06-2017, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2066 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRadar View Post
Well if the Apple TV doesn't go 4k HDR, it won't matter anyway. Maybe Amazon is just giving as an appetizer. I saw where Amazon and Apple are cooperating to purchase Toshiba's chip biz.
The rumor mill suspects later this year that gets released.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
apple homepod , homepod

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page