• 1 Post By Gooddoc
  • 1 Post By Fitero

post #1 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
JBL K2 S9900 vs JBL 4367

Today I had a fun, rare audio treat at my buddy's house. I brought my 4367's over to compare to his K2's.

We had several other Musicians/Audio-Nuts over for the same event. We listened to some records, but mostly streamed Tidal through the Mark Levinson 519 Player. The rest of the gear is also Mark Levinson, 52 Preamp, and 2 each 533 amps.
Each speaker was bi-amped of course. The extra 2 channels of the amps are usually used to power the centre channel when the room is being used with his Synthesis gear in Cinema mode.

Going into the "audition" I was hoping that the 4367's would be superior to the older K2's because of their "superior" horn profile. That was my bias anyway. I changed positioning of the speakers 6 or 7 times in order to attempt to get the best from both speakers.

In the end, the K2's were just more homogeneous top to bottom, and spread a great, wide sound-stage without calling attention to any particular part of audio spectrum. The 4367's hit harder in the bass, but the treble was more shrill or pronounced. In my own system, I've unconsciously adjusted my gear to tame that forwardness .
This impression was shared by all present.

Those who hadn't heard either of these speakers were absolutely stunned how loud the music could be played cleanly and enjoyably. Great, foot-tapping, chest-thumping engaging speakers.

What fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0049.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	2185633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	2185641  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
The trick will be to do a blind test, with both speakers in identical positions and precisely matched in volume (just about impossible outside of Harman's MLL).

I'm going to have the same issue when we do the M2s vs. the Salons...

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
post #3 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi John,
You are right, in that the only way to make a "hand on the bible" determination is in laboratory conditions.

However, I'd be willing to bet that you made up your mind within moments of hearing each of those speakers, then verified the impression with further, concerted listening and fiddling. Perhaps I am the only fool who does this.

That being said, my buddy is going to replace his gorgeous K2's with a pair of M2's. The rest of us are unaware whether the Salons and M2's have been compared in Harman's MLL. I would bet good money that they have been. It makes logical sense. It also makes sense to me for Harman not to talk about the results of said comparison.
Gooddoc and John Schuermann like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
Hi John,
You are right, in that the only way to make a "hand on the bible" determination is in laboratory conditions.

However, I'd be willing to bet that you made up your mind within moments of hearing each of those speakers, then verified the impression with further, concerted listening and fiddling. Perhaps I am the only fool who does this.

That being said, my buddy is going to replace his gorgeous K2's with a pair of M2's. The rest of us are unaware whether the Salons and M2's have been compared in Harman's MLL. I would bet good money that they have been. It makes logical sense. It also makes sense to me for Harman not to talk about the results of said comparison.
sounds like a fun day and nice pics as well. Could you tell me where you got the stands that your speakers are sitting upon? I want something like that myself.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some interesting info from Dr. Toole himself about sighted vs. blind comparisons - just posted it in the Synthesis thread. Directly pertains to discussions like this Direct link here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post53599977
Fitero likes this.

John Schuermann
post #6 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Shivaji,

My horrible, "Speaker Clogs" as my wife calls them?! I ran to the local hardware store and bought some rough lumber and threw them together with some glue and Spax screws.
I used a forstner bit to make a recess for the speaker spike bases to sit in. A bit of stain and a few feet of distance and they don't look too horrid.

My rotten buddy pointed out to me today that my drilling wasn't very accurate, as the spike bases are a bit off on a couple of them. Oh well.
I should make another pair, but I am saving my pennies to get a pair of M2's, in which case I won't need to make them.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1078
Quote:
Thanks Shivaji,

My horrible, "Speaker Clogs" as my wife calls them?! I ran to the local hardware store and bought some rough lumber and threw them together with some glue and Spax screws.
I used a forstner bit to make a recess for the speaker spike bases to sit in. A bit of stain and a few feet of distance and they don't look too horrid.

My rotten buddy pointed out to me today that my drilling wasn't very accurate, as the spike bases are a bit off on a couple of them. Oh well.
I should make another pair, but I am saving my pennies to get a pair of M2's, in which case I won't need to make them.
Well, I don't care what anybody says, I like em. Well done!
Fitero likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They are a lot better than the bricks Harman had them on at Northridge

John Schuermann
post #9 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3687 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Hi John,

Yep, well said. I'd be curious as to an M2 vs. 4367. Same drivers but very different designs otherwise. Different horn, passive vs. active, and as I understand it they were voiced in very different methods; the M2 fairly collaboratively vs. the 4367 largely by the designer(but a very well regarded designer ).
Fitero likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schuermann View Post
They are a lot better than the bricks Harman had them on at Northridge
Those were magic, audiophile bricks right?

Good comments all!

If we agree that the majority of speakers are not correctly placed in the room, nor are powered by optimal amplification for them, nor are fed stellar recordings, then we have to make our flawed decisions upon generalizations I think. In this case today, the difference between the two was not subtle, and within these flawed though all too common conditions the K2's were universally preferred to the 4367's.

As Gooddoc mentioned, I too would love to hear the M2's and 4367's together. I get the impression that the 4367's fulfilled the design parameters and expectations stipulated by Greg Timbers, but that the M2's turned out to be a Goldilocks speaker, whose whole happily turned out to be greater than the sum of parts.
Gooddoc likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
@Fitero
Did you test the SK2-3300 center?
post #12 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
@Fitero
Did you test the SK2-3300 center?
No, the centre speaker and the rest of the subwoofers and surround speakers were not activated yesterday.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Sounds like it was a fun test. I have only heard the K2s once and they did sound great.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #14 of 14 Old 06-13-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Be interesting when / if the technological advances that were part of the M2 development make it into revamped K2s and Everests...

John Schuermann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page