The 9 Budget Speaker Shootout-- Only 1 Winner - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1092Likes

post #451 of 752 Old 07-09-2017, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
When I actually do serious listening to the Elacs, I sit closer than the perspective of this pic. You don't want to sit at the 50% point either, or the 25% or 75%. Speakers are about 6' or 6 1/2' from the front wall and I sit another 3 or 4 feet from the speakers with almost no toe-in.

That works for you I understand. But I dont have the room to put those things that far away from my setup. That's pretty extreme.

Secondly, my border collie see's one of these gecco's or small iguanas thru my sliding glass doors, and boom he runs to that sliding glass door, to bark at them and wanna chase them, anything in his path is coming down, those Elac's on those stands, that far in the middle of a room with my dog would be down for the count on Day 1 no question

Why do you have them out so far again? I don't know many people that have that luxury or would even want to have it like that. But maybe I'm wrong.

At the end of the day though Scott, while sending the Elac's back and not liking them is not a popular move from your point of view, even if I kept them, played with them 100 hrs, I truly doubt they would beat the Chane's A2.4, but who knows, maybe they would have. Like women, I don't look back , you are either in my life or part of a memory of the past. Elac's part of memory past....
jeff2 and powerlifter405 like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 752 Old 07-09-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by turts85 View Post
Drum Roll Please!!!!

99.9% sure I am ordering the Chane A2.4 pair for 2.0 set up. I really would like to get the 3.0 bundle (A1.4 and A2.4 center) but the center is 7" in height and would cover part of the TV screen as it only sits about 4" in height from stand to base of TV. I could place the center in the shelf provided below my TV but then it would be below my seating position aiming at my shins instead of my mid section when sitting down on my bed or in my gamer spot, I would have to sit on the floor for my head and chest to basically be level with the center channel, but then that's makes the L/R speakers to above my sitting position. Plus I figured I am getting the better speakers with more bass, better smoother sound production, which cover my 2.0 set up I wanted to keep for a little bit. Eventually I will grab a center and sub but not right now.
Here is how I raised my 43" TV up so that my Chane A2.4 center did not obstruct my view. The platforms were so very easy to make. Hope this helps. Maybe this will give you some ideas, no? Best wishes and congrats!

Cheers,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0905 (1).JPG
Views:	133
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	2227249   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0903.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	2227257   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0901 (1).JPG
Views:	92
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	2227265   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0897 (2).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	2227273   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0899 (1).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	2227281  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0902 (2).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	2227289   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0903 (1).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	338.6 KB
ID:	2227297   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0904 (1).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	2227305   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0906 (1).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	2227313   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0913 (1).JPG
Views:	57
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	2227321  

post #453 of 752 Old 07-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Yea that's what I figured. The A2.4 is so tempting but I had a feeling once I posted that pic of my room it would be overkill. So once I move into a larger more open area, which won't be for a few years to come, I will move the A1.4s to the back and start the 5.1 set up adventure.

Welp, I will be ordering the Chane A1.4s and the BasX S8 sub. The S12 might be a bit much and a bit of a waste since I'm not looking to blow the side of the house off lol.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know when they come in. I still have to wait and make sure Ascend is going to do my return, I'm only about 12 days from when the arrived so it shouldn't be a problem based on their policies.

Thanks again fellas. I'm super excited to grab these Chane A1.4s. The Ascends certainly make me want a sub.

When the sub arrived, I just set my AVR to 80hz crossover correct? I just want the low end filled in.
Being the lone dissenter, I get authoritative bass output down to 38hz out of the A2.4s in my room, which is larger than yours. Audible/useable output down to 32hz.

Seeing that the benefits of the A2.4 lie as much in the unique crossover architecture (and its resulting improvements in imaging) as they do in the additional midwoofer and MTM configuration, I think you would be better served by saving your pennies for a larger subwoofer later and grabbing a pair of A2.4s now. I don't think you would be unhappy with the A1.4s, but the A2.4's would serve you better.

And, to be clear, you'd be far better served by a HSU VTF-2 Mk 5 (vented 12") than by the dainty, sealed emotiva 10". I say it's worth it to wait and save and go for the HSU (or an SVS equivalent) when the time comes.

I do not personally favor going through a finely delineated set of stair-stepped upgrades. Net cost over the long term tends to be higher.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

That's my $.02.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
leecreek and mpk1970 like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 07-09-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 752 Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Being the lone dissenter, I get authoritative bass output down to 38hz out of the A2.4s in my room, which is larger than yours. Audible/useable output down to 32hz.

Seeing that the benefits of the A2.4 lie as much in the unique crossover architecture (and its resulting improvements in imaging) as they do in the additional midwoofer and MTM configuration, I think you would be better served by saving your pennies for a larger subwoofer later and grabbing a pair of A2.4s now. I don't think you would be unhappy with the A1.4s, but the A2.4's would serve you better.

And, to be clear, you'd be far better served by a HSU VTF-2 Mk 5 (vented 12") than by the dainty, sealed emotiva 10". I say it's worth it to wait and save and go for the HSU (or an SVS equivalent) when the time comes.

I do not personally favor going through a finely delineated set of stair-stepped upgrades. Net cost over the long term tends to be higher.

That's my $.02.

Can't argue with the HSU's
I got two of those bad boys simply amazing
BufordTJustice likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
post #455 of 752 Old 07-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Can't argue with the HSU's
I got two of those bad boys simply amazing
Admittedly, it's a long game approach. But nobody is ever going to confuse the sub 20hz extension of a HSU in that room with the 27hz extension of the emotiva, great sub though the emotiva is. Below 30hz, I doubt even two of those emotiva subs would match a single VTF 2 Mk5 in his space. Larger driver, larger cabinet, vented tuning all play in the HSU's favor.

mpk1970 likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #456 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 4249
Quote:

Emotiva no longer makes sealed subs. The BasX ones are ported, and the more expensive Airmotiv ones have a passive radiator.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!

Last edited by drh3b; 07-10-2017 at 01:11 AM.
post #457 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4095 Post(s)
Liked: 2564
Quote:
That works for you I understand. But I dont have the room to put those things that far away from my setup. That's pretty extreme.

Secondly, my border collie see's one of these gecco's or small iguanas thru my sliding glass doors, and boom he runs to that sliding glass door, to bark at them and wanna chase them, anything in his path is coming down, those Elac's on those stands, that far in the middle of a room with my dog would be down for the count on Day 1 no question

Why do you have them out so far again? I don't know many people that have that luxury or would even want to have it like that. But maybe I'm wrong.

At the end of the day though Scott, while sending the Elac's back and not liking them is not a popular move from your point of view, even if I kept them, played with them 100 hrs, I truly doubt they would beat the Chane's A2.4, but who knows, maybe they would have. Like women, I don't look back , you are either in my life or part of a memory of the past. Elac's part of memory past....

"Why do you have them out so far again?"

To keep the sound field as real life as possible. I've pretty much always done similar for 58 years, since my ELS57s in 1959. Have it similar on all four of mine, but I do put the master bedroom and office back when not in use

BufordTJustice and mpk1970 like this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 07-10-2017 at 02:52 AM.
post #458 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Audio Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Emotiva no longer makes sealed subs. The BasX ones are ported, and the more expensive Airmotiv ones have a passive radiator.
Gotcha. Enclosure size and driver size are still a huge mis match for a HSU. And the HSU just isn't that much more money.

drh3b and mpk1970 like this.

post #459 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Here is how I raised my 43" TV up so that my Chane A2.4 center did not obstruct my view. The platforms were so very easy to make. Hope this helps. Maybe this will give you some ideas, no? Best wishes and congrats!

Cheers,

Phil
dude your room looks tighter than mine...why did you purchase the A2.4 for that size of space? I'm being told the A1.4s would be best for my area and yours looks even smaller. I guess to make this less confusing for my self I will ask this simple question:

For a room that is approx. 12x15 what would be the better 2.1 set up? And if down the road that room size becomes larger, such as a 20x20 room per say which setup would be best or still work in that larger room?

Choice #1) 2.1 with A1.4 at L/R with a HSU or Emotiva Sub (seeing the HSU is preferred over the Emotiva)
Choice #2) 2.0 A2.4 for L/R and since money would be tight at that point I would have to wait on the sub but eventually making this a 2.1 setup with the A2. for L/R and a HSU or Emotiva sub.

And as far as lifting my TV, I planned to do exactly what you just posted but instead of two stands, I just want to make one stand with a wire hole in the center so I can run the center wire more direct to the center channel instead of around the stand then to the center channel, once that time comes.

Last edited by turts85; 07-10-2017 at 09:43 AM.
post #460 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9344 Post(s)
Liked: 6429
Quote:

When the sub arrives, I just set my AVR to 80hz crossover correct? I just want the low end filled in.
That should be perfect for those speakers.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Listen without the sub first so you can give us your impressions in 2.0 vs the Ascends.

Geoff A. J., California
post #461 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

Cheers,

Phil
@ freak

What is the total height of the L/R, including the feet?
Also, how stable the stands are? if you can provide the link to the stands, it would be great

Thanks m8
post #462 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

That's my $.02.

That HSU MK5 is about 200$ more than I want to spend. My total budget for my entire 3.1 or 2.1 is probably a max of 700$ but would rather be more towards the minimum of 500$. This is why I thought the A1.4s would be better cuz they are about 300$ right now then adding a sub with those would bring me to about 550-600$. Which would me my ideal area for spending. And if I go with the A2.4s for LR that only leaves about 100-150$ for a sub, so the sub would have to be down the road at that point.

Lets put it this way..I would rather spend towards my max budget and it better for the long run and only have to spend a minimal amount IF I decide to add on, rather than spending towards my minimum budget and then having to spend more down the road either upgrading or adding on.
post #463 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
dude your room looks tighter than mine...why did you purchase the A2.4 for that size of space? I'm being told the A1.4s would be best for my area and yours looks even smaller. I guess to make this less confusing for my self I will ask this simple question:

For a room that is approx. 12x15 what would be the better 2.1 set up? And if down the road that room size becomes larger, such as a 20x20 room per say which setup would be best or still work in that larger room?

Choice #1) 2.1 with A1.4 at L/R with a HSU or Emotiva Sub (seeing the HSU is preferred over the Emotiva)
Choice #2) 2.0 A2.4 for L/R and since money would be tight at that point I would have to wait on the sub but eventually making this a 2.1 setup with the A2. for L/R and a HSU or Emotiva sub.

And as far as lifting my TV, I planned to do exactly what you just posted but instead of two stands, I just want to make one stand with a wire hole in the center so I can run the center wire more direct to the center channel instead of around the stand then to the center channel, once that time comes.
Those pics are a bit older. My room is not quite as tight now. For one, I moved the file cabinet out completely. My tower is now located in my new desk as well. Just giving you an idea of how I raised my 43" TV up so that my A2.4 center did not create any viewing issues. The results were fantastic! Notice that I also used large door stoppers I got at Lowe's to angle the A2.4 center up even more towards ear level.

Again, I have not owned the A1.4's. But, they may be enough for your needs. I am very fond of a MTM design and that is why I opted for the A2.4's. Needless to say, they got plenty loud in my small room w/o any issues whatsoever. But, loud is not what I look for as SQ is much more important to me. The reason being, my preference is on music not HT.

I have never owned an Emtoiva sub or product. Can't be of no help there. However, I have owned many Hsu subs over the years and all were fantastic. The latest that I owned was the ULS 15 MK2. I loved it! Not much out there can touch it in its price range inmho. My vote would be to opt for the Hsu. Kevin is great to deal with at Hsu and will gladly answer any and all of your questions that you have regarding Hsu. Just ask for him. Likewise, Jon Lane can answer all of your questions that you have regarding the Chanes. BTW, the A2.4 center is by far the best center channel speaker that I have ever owned. That should tell you something. Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 07-10-2017 at 02:25 PM.
post #464 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
@ freak

What is the total height of the L/R, including the feet?
Also, how stable the stands are? if you can provide the link to the stands, it would be great

Thanks m8
The stands were 24" off of the floor. They were the HiVi stands that Jon used to sell. Last time that I checked, they were no longer available. Been using Studio Monitor stands ever since. They are inexpensive and work perfectly for my needs. The HiVi stands were also a great value. If you want to know more about my Studio stands just shoot me a PM.

Cheers,

Phil
BufordTJustice, tinhvo and mpk1970 like this.
post #465 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That HSU MK5 is about 200$ more than I want to spend. My total budget for my entire 3.1 or 2.1 is probably a max of 700$ but would rather be more towards the minimum of 500$. This is why I thought the A1.4s would be better cuz they are about 300$ right now then adding a sub with those would bring me to about 550-600$. Which would me my ideal area for spending. And if I go with the A2.4s for LR that only leaves about 100-150$ for a sub, so the sub would have to be down the road at that point.

Lets put it this way..I would rather spend towards my max budget and it better for the long run and only have to spend a minimal amount IF I decide to add on, rather than spending towards my minimum budget and then having to spend more down the road either upgrading or adding on.
HSU sub #1
Chane's A2.4 (pair) #2

Add center in couple months.
If you have to wait another month to save then do it. No need to rush to do it, you want to do it right. I rushed, had many mistakes, wasnt patient in selecting AVR, which speakers, etc...

You made great strides, have it nailed down to 2 diff speakers. A2.4s will be more dynamic. Even if you have to wait for the sub a couple months, then wait. Buy the A2.4s then at least you have the "Foundation" to build off of

From my point of view, you are settling for the A1.4 because of the budget but in your heart you want the A2.4. So wait, save, until you can do what you really want to do. Speakers and subs will always be available. After all, its not like we are talking about going from $20k Kia sportage to $100k Cady Escalade

A2.4 in 2.0 is $560, get 3 is $840 + $600 HSU Sub= $1400 total and you done.
You want to spend $700

So do A2.4 in 2.0$560 + HSU Sub $600= $1160 total, just save 400-500 more

post #466 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@turts85

I've got a set of the A5 towers and an A2.4 center, no sub, in exactly a 20x20 room with nearly 13ft ceilings- so just over a 5000 ft^3 room. This was / is my very first HT / music sound system. I've always planned on adding a sub down the line, but I can say with honesty that I'm pretty damn happy with my bass output for gaming and movies alike to this stage. At first I thought they didn't have enough, but I powered through the break in period (so I'm in the believer camp there) and they truly have opened up.

Given your particular room size now, I'm confident you'd be happy with the A2.4's in a 2.0 set up to start then add a center and a sub down the line. A pair of A2.4's would really have some authoritative bass on their own until you piece together the rest of what you want. There is no shame or harm in buying in stages either. I think you, like me, don't want to suffer from the "what if" factor. Keep your eyes on the prize and purchase as you can. Chane certainly isn't going anywhere!
post #467 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
@turts85

I've got a set of the A5 towers and an A2.4 center, no sub, in exactly a 20x20 room with nearly 13ft ceilings- so just over a 5000 ft^3 room. This was / is my very first HT / music sound system. I've always planned on adding a sub down the line, but I can say with honesty that I'm pretty damn happy with my bass output for gaming and movies alike to this stage. At first I thought they didn't have enough, but I powered through the break in period (so I'm in the believer camp there) and they truly have opened up.

Given your particular room size now, I'm confident you'd be happy with the A2.4's in a 2.0 set up to start then add a center and a sub down the line. A pair of A2.4's would really have some authoritative bass on their own until you piece together the rest of what you want. There is no shame or harm in buying in stages either. I think you, like me, don't want to suffer from the "what if" factor. Keep your eyes on the prize and purchase as you can. Chane certainly isn't going anywhere!
Perfect real life situation

post #468 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:

If your end game is 5.1, and you do seem to be on a rather hard budget, you might want to get Jon Lane's personal opinion on what you are "giving up" in a small space by going for the 1.4s + sub now vs 2.4s w/ no sub. He really has little to lose as down the road you will in either case be buying more Chane speakers to fill out your system.

The BasX s8 will give you solid extension and keep in mind it is only $199 so when you move, and have more money, if you want a sub upgrade you can easily recoup 1/2 the price you paid for that very nice little sub.

My first speaker system was not my last system and my first sub was not my last either.

But I'd defer to Jon Lane as to which direction would be best in the short term for you.
mpk1970 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #469 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:

Cheers,

Phil
Fun pics ...

I have a suggestion brought on by looking at the pics. Notice how the center pillar of the main stand has circular holes in it? Those new stands that hold up the TV would really blend in well with the overall look of the center pillar if you filled the empty space with a piece of wood that has a hole the same size as the one in the pillar. Alternatively, a piece of smoked Acrylic from Tap Plastics, with a hole cut into the center would approximate the see through quality of the center pillar.

Either approach would strengthen the structure of the stands, acting as a brace in that empty space.

Hate to see your TV have an accident if the new stands were to fail for some reason.
audiofreak38 and mpk1970 like this.

Last edited by RayGuy; 07-10-2017 at 12:46 PM.
post #470 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
If your end game is 5.1, and you do seem to be on a rather hard budget, you might want to get Jon Lane's personal opinion on what you are "giving up" in a small space by going for the 1.4s + sub now vs 2.4s w/ no sub. He really has little to lose as down the road you will in either case be buying more Chane speakers to fill out your system.

The BasX s8 will give you solid extension and keep in mind it is only $199 so when you move, and have more money, if you want a sub upgrade you can easily recoup 1/2 the price you paid for that very nice little sub.

My first speaker system was not my last system and my first sub was not my last either.

But I'd defer to Jon Lane as to which direction would be best in the short term for you.
This!

I have been testing the LS50 wireless and Sierra2s in a 2.0 setup for the last few weeks, and I just recently picked up the Basx s8 sub. Both the Ls50w and Sierra2s can play cleanly down to 40hz and the bass is good enough for movies and music, but with the sub, it adds a whole new experience, even with something as small as the Basx S8.

If you end game is a 5.1 system, you lose nothing by going with the 1.4s now and then moving them back for surround duties.

If you want to think longer term, get the 1.4s now with the either the HSU VTF MK3 or RBH i12 b-stock.
audiofreak38, gajCA and mpk1970 like this.
post #471 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
As the 1.4s play down to 50hz, while the 2.4 plays down to 48hz...
Yes, the A1.4 is rated to 50Hz and the A2.4 to 48Hz using a fairly conservative method. What they play down to will vary by condition, measurement method, and if in-room, by environment.

Quote:
Being the lone dissenter, I get authoritative bass output down to 38hz out of the A2.4s in my room [...] Audible/useable output down to 32hz.
Me too, and I believe BTJ has messed around with acquiring data probably as much as I have. Over here in my typical hurricane-resistant concrete almost-coastal Florida space I sometimes worry that the A2.4 in stereo could have too much bass for a fairly compact unit with only 5.25" drivers. (Especially with all the thunder this summer.)

Quote:
Seeing that the benefits of the A2.4 lie as much in the unique crossover architecture (and its resulting improvements in imaging) as they do in the additional midwoofer and MTM configuration...
Also true. It's not my place to advise sales - there's plenty of speculation available for that already - but the symmetrical MTM speaker can sound like more than the sum of its parts. I think this bears pointing out. All other things being equal, the bigger system is the better system but as with many things, not always for obvious reasons.

Chane Music & Cinema
Need advice? Avoid speculation; for solid referrals seek out real users.
post #472 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane View Post
Yes, the A1.4 is rated to 50Hz and the A2.4 to 48Hz using a fairly conservative method. What they play down to will vary by condition, measurement method, and if in-room, by environment.

Me too, and I believe BTJ has messed around with acquiring data probably as much as I have. Over here in my typical hurricane-resistant concrete almost-coastal Florida space I sometimes worry that the A2.4 in stereo could have too much bass for a fairly compact unit with only 5.25" drivers. (Especially with all the thunder this summer.)

Also true. It's not my place to advise sales - there's plenty of speculation available for that already - but the symmetrical MTM speaker can sound like more than the sum of its parts. I think this bears pointing out. All other things being equal, the bigger system is the better system but as with many things, not always for obvious reasons.
I'm not sure if you're recommending the 2.4s as perfect for a small room with no sub or making an argument that it might be too much for his small room as his end game IS to own both the 1.4s and 2.4s when he moves to a larger space and budget opens up.

Another question might be is an upgrade planned for the 2.4s in the next three years?
mpk1970 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #473 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Its really a tough call, I would talk to Jon one on one basis, see if something can't be worked out where maybe both speaker sets can be sent then you choose which you like better for a nominal return shipping fee. Have no idea how Jon would work it, but I do know, Jon goes out of his way for customers. There is a guy currently doing a 4 speaker audition with 1 of the speakers being the A2.4s and Jon extended the trial period.

Bottom line, you've got about 10 different people with different opinions on what to do for YOUR room. We are all trying to help guide you and I think these last few posts and others will keep making points why you need one or the other for YOUR room. But, I think you really need to call Jon, talk and just make a decision after talking with him. Unlike a math quiz that I frequently bombed in H.S., there is no wrong answer here. Either speaker will do fine.

post #474 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Fun pics ...

I have a suggestion brought on by looking at the pics. Notice how the center pillar of the main stand has circular holes in it? Those new stands that hold up the TV would really blend in well with the overall look of the center pillar if you filled the empty space with a piece of wood that has a hole the same size as the one in the pillar. Alternatively, a piece of smoked Acrylic from Tap Plastics, with a hole cut into the center would approximate the see through quality of the center pillar.

Either approach would strengthen the structure of the stands, acting as a brace in that empty space.

Hate to see your TV have an accident if the new stands were to fail for some reason.
Thanks Ray. Very good idea. However, I am no longer using the stands as those pics are a bit older. The platform on my Sony 4K TV is totally different than the one on the HiSense TV that I did have. But, I really like your idea. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
RayGuy and BufordTJustice like this.
post #475 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
I'm not sure if you're recommending the 2.4s as perfect for a small room with no sub or making an argument that it might be too much for his small room as his end game IS to own both the 1.4s and 2.4s when he moves to a larger space and budget opens up.
I'm just commenting about bass and specs, gajCA; other choices and strategies are not my area, especially economic ones. I suspect the same dynamics are true for just about any similar bookshelf/stand speaker and MTM main or center speaker.

Quote:
Another question might be is an upgrade planned for the 2.4s in the next three years?
Since 2009 users know I've put just as much into each individual model and each iteration as its price allowed, the X.4 models included. While more than a few brands do make-overs annually, in those eight years we've managed fewer than a series every two years. None of ours have been complete remodels either.

I can't speculate on what else Chane could do, if anything - I'm not sure we need to. The .4 series is topped-out, and I'd be very happy to leave well enough alone with the upcoming A5.4 tower and a small A4.4 utility speaker.

Before I forget again, it's not uncommon to plug bass reflex ports when in close quarters, all the more when a sub is present. Our models offer this option too. This lends them good flexibility if a user eventually changes spaces.

Chane Music & Cinema
Need advice? Avoid speculation; for solid referrals seek out real users.

Last edited by Jon Lane; 07-10-2017 at 04:50 PM.
post #476 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Audio Engineer

Quote:
I'm just commenting about bass and specs, gajCA; other choices and strategies are not my area, especially economic ones. I suspect the same dynamics are true for just about any similar bookshelf/stand speaker and MTM main or center speaker.

Since 2009 users know I've put just as much into each individual model and each iteration as its price allowed, the X.4 models included. While more than a few brands do make-overs annually, in those eight years we've managed fewer than a series every two years. None of ours have been complete remodels either.

I can't speculate on what else Chane could do, if anything - I'm not sure we need to. The .4 series is topped-out, and I'd be very happy to leave well enough alone with the upcoming A5.4 tower and a small A4.4 utility speaker.
With the convertible bass system, turts could just use the provided port plugs to control bass output.

It's far easier to make an A2.4 "smaller" in terms of bass output for now, than it would be to make the A1.4 "larger" in the future.

post #477 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Before I forget again, it's not uncommon to plug bass reflex ports when in close quarters, all the more when a sub is present. Our models offer this option too. This lends them good flexibility if a user eventually changes spaces.
Quote:
The .4 series is topped-out, and I'd be very happy to leave well enough alone with the upcoming A5.4 tower and a small A4.4 utility speaker.
C'mon that's no fun

post #478 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
With the speakers flanking the TV so closely you might be right about not needing a center now that I see it.

As the 1.4s play down to 50hz, while the 2.4 plays down to 48hz I'd definitely get the former and use the money saved to get a BasX S8 sub to get me down to 28hz in 2.1.

If you get decent money for your old speakers maybe even the BasX S12.
The S8 is 199, vs 299 for the Outlaw and the S8 appears to utilize the Class D amp. It shouild be more efficient than the A/B amp and run cooler. In car audio I only use the Alpine PDX Class D amps as their footprint is pretty small and I like how they are easier on the electrical system. Not necessarily apple to apples but all things being equal the S8 sounds like a decent bargain buy.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
For sale = JTR 218HT captivator https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58490876
post #479 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Yea that's what I figured. The A2.4 is so tempting but I had a feeling once I posted that pic of my room it would be overkill. So once I move into a larger more open area, which won't be for a few years to come, I will move the A1.4s to the back and start the 5.1 set up adventure.

Welp, I will be ordering the Chane A1.4s and the BasX S8 sub. The S12 might be a bit much and a bit of a waste since I'm not looking to blow the side of the house off lol.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know when they come in. I still have to wait and make sure Ascend is going to do my return, I'm only about 12 days from when the arrived so it shouldn't be a problem based on their policies.

Thanks again fellas. I'm super excited to grab these Chane A1.4s. The Ascends certainly make me want a sub.

When the sub arrived, I just set my AVR to 80hz crossover correct? I just want the low end filled in.
Find what works. I let my Sherbourn set up the specs yet I still prefer my settings of 80hz for my LRC, 110 for rears and my sub at 110. For me that works for what I desire but fiddle with your settings. 80 is a good starting point but play w/ it for a while AND take the time to break them in. Even w/ some elevated listening it took a while for mine to settle in but after they did things are great.

Enjoy!
mpk1970 likes this.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
For sale = JTR 218HT captivator https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58490876
post #480 of 752 Old 07-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Audio Engineer

Quote:
C'mon that's no fun
There's more fun coming. Lots more.

Just in the form of a new series.

audiofreak38, kma100 and mpk1970 like this.

Last edited by BufordTJustice; 07-10-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page