The 9 Budget Speaker Shootout-- Only 1 Winner - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1092Likes

post #721 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpk1970 View Post
Refresh memories
OP Thank you for doing this amazing comparison review! It is so helpful to newbies in home audio like myself.

I'm exceedingly interested in the Chanes. I was considering the Ascend Sierra 2s, but after some exploring in the AVS forum threads doing my research and helpful suggestions from people like you and Zorba, it becomes evident that in hi-fi audio, often, a 2x-5x jump in price may only yield marginal 5-10+ % increase in discernable sound improvement.

All this time I was really set on the SVS ultras because that's what all my research from non-forum sources led me to, however, the price is still a bit steep for me at $1000 a pair so I would be remiss if I didn't try them out at least to see how they stack up.

That said, I want to order the Chane speakers 2 bookshelf A2.4s and a Center Channel A2.4, for a 3.1 L/C/R setup. But I only see the A1.4's in bookshelves. The 2.4's are a "better" speaker than the A1.4s correct? Is there such a thing as a Chane 2.4 Bookshelf? I'm trying to understand their product line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6916 Post(s)
Liked: 5207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystickid View Post
That said, I want to order the Chane speakers 2 bookshelf A2.4s and a Center Channel A2.4, for a 3.1 L/C/R setup. But I only see the A1.4's in bookshelves. The 2.4's are a "better" speaker than the A1.4s correct? Is there such a thing as a Chane 2.4 Bookshelf? I'm trying to understand their product line.
The A2.4 are dual woofer versions of the A1.4 ... if you have the budget and/or want high SPLs, yes it would be the better speaker to get.
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/A2.4
BufordTJustice and mystickid like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #723 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 3378
Quote:

The 2.4 are bookshelves. Probably a little bigger than average, but still bookshelves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Yes they are both the same speaker you just rotate the tweeter. Order 3 speakers.

Older version of the speakers
post #725 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The A2.4 are dual woofer versions of the A1.4 ... if you have the budget and/or want high SPLs, yes it would be the better speaker to get.
Thanks. Can you please explain the SPL acronym? So Chane's best 3.1 sound quality setup is 3 A2.4's, correct?
post #726 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Can you please explain the SPL acronym? So Chane's best 3.1 sound quality setup is 3 A2.4's, correct?
Sound Pressure Level, a.k.a. "volume" or "loudness" levels.

Their "best" is probably the A5.4 towers, which are a good deal more expensive and won't be back in stock until mid-December at the earliest.

For HT use and with a limited budget, the A2.4 would be a more pragmatic choice.
mystickid likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #727 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Quote:
I don't have A2.4* any more fantastic speakers.
I'm a tower guy now
Give them juice (amp) and the A2.4s will open up beautifully
mystickid likes this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
Set up #2 : QA3020i LR, Center: Emotiva C1 Subs (2) HSU VTF2 MK5,

Last edited by mpk1970; 11-23-2018 at 07:51 AM.
post #728 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
OP Thank you for doing this amazing comparison review! It is so helpful to newbies in home audio like myself.

I'm exceedingly interested in the Chanes. I was considering the Ascend Sierra 2s, but after some exploring in the AVS forum threads doing my research and helpful suggestions from people like you and Zorba, it becomes evident that in hi-fi audio, often, a 2x-5x jump in price may only yield marginal 5-10+ % increase in discernable sound improvement.

All this time I was really set on the SVS ultras because that's what all my research from non-forum sources led me to, however, the price is still a bit steep for me at $1000 a pair so I would be remiss if I didn't try them out at least to see how they stack up.

I have owned both the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs and the Chane A2.4's. Of the two, the A2.4's were much better in every regard inmho. However, the Ultras build quality is exceptional having a high WAF. They are also very neutral speakers with decent low end extension. But, they did NOT "WOW" me. The Ultras did nothing wrong per se, but I just did not get excited by them.

Now the A2.4's like totally blew me away. They were just as extended and neutral, but drew me into them more. The A2.4's have a way of keeping my attention. Very non-fatiguing and a bit sweet if you will. They can also play absurdly loud w/o breaking a sweat. Not many speakers can do that. With (3) A2.4's across the front produced the most cohesive wall of sound that I have ever owned in this hobby. I simply can not recommend them enough. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil
post #729 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
Quote:
OP Thank you for doing this amazing comparison review! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] It is so helpful to newbies in home audio like myself.

I have owned both the SVS Ultra Bookshelfs and the Chane A2.4's. Of the two, the A2.4's were much better in every regard inmho. However, the Ultras build quality is exceptional having a high WAF. They are also very neutral speakers with decent low end extension. But, they did NOT "WOW" me. The Ultras did nothing wrong per se, but I just did not get excited by them.

Now the A2.4's like totally blew me away. They were just as extended and neutral, but drew me into them more. The A2.4's have a way of keeping my attention. Very non-fatiguing and a bit sweet if you will. They can also play absurdly loud w/o breaking a sweat. Not many speakers can do that. With (3) A2.4's across the front produced the most cohesive wall of sound that I have ever owned in this hobby. I simply can not recommend them enough. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Cheers,

Phil
Happy Thanksgiving my friend
audiofreak38 and Lp85253 like this.

Set up #1 Speakers LR: Tekton Enzo XL ; Center: Tekton Pendragon Subs (2) 2019 JTR 118HTs
post #730 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving my friend
Same to you Mike. I actually was very conservative with my eating today. Usually, I eat too much. But, still have a much larger dinner to go to Saturday. Have a feeling I may eat a bit more there.....LOL!!! Hope all is well Mike!

Cheers,

Phil
Lp85253 likes this.
post #731 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Their "best" is probably the A5.4 towers, which are a good deal more expensive and won't be back in stock until mid-December at the earliest.

For HT use and with a limited budget, the A2.4 would be a more pragmatic choice.
@zorba and everyone So Thankful for all your suggestions!

@MPK mpk1970, I'm going to run these speakers with the Denon X4400H...I presume that's more than enough native power for the chanes right? like I don't need an additional amp, do I?
post #732 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@zorba and everyone So Thankful for all your suggestions!

@MPK mpk1970, I'm going to run these speakers with the Denon X4400H...I presume that's more than enough native power for the chanes right? like I don't need an additional amp, do I?
The A2.4's are true 8-ohm speakers and are very easy to drive. The X4400 would be fine for the most part. However, there is nothing wrong with adding more power. I would at the very least try them w/your X4400 first before buying an outboard amp. I powered my A2.4's with a Denon X4000 and it did fine for my needs. But, I am more into SQ than SPL.

Cheers,

Phil
BufordTJustice, Lp85253 and drh3b like this.
post #733 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:
The A2.4's are true 8-ohm speakers and are very easy to drive. The X4400 would be fine for the most part. However, there is nothing wrong with adding more power. I would at the very least try them w/your X4400 first before buying an outboard amp. I powered my A2.4's with a Denon X4000 and it did fine for my needs. But, I am more into SQ than SPL.

Cheers,

Phil
SO Phil, hang-on...I',m still new to all this. Are you telling me that adding more power ie via an external amp will improve the sound quality even more on speakers? How does that work, I was of the thinking that too much power will blow a speaker out or something.
post #734 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SO Phil, hang-on...I',m still new to all this. Are you telling me that adding more power ie via an external amp will improve the sound quality even more on speakers? How does that work, I was of the thinking that too much power will blow a speaker out or something.
Basically, it all depends on the speakers and how loud you like to play them. For example, if your sweet spot is say 11' from your front-stage, then you will need more volume if your sweet spot was closer than 11'. The X4400 will power them very well. But, it all depends on how loud you like things and how far your sweet spot is from your front-stage. As mentioned, I would try your X4400 first and go from there. We are all different and have different needs. I like to rock out every now and then, but most of the time I listen at moderate levels. How far back is your sweet spot from your front-stage? Do you like it very loud or more moderate levels?

Cheers,

Phil
post #735 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Basically, it all depends on the speakers and how loud you like to play them. For example, if your sweet spot is say 11' from your front-stage, then you will need more volume if your sweet spot was closer than 11'. The X4400 will power them very well. But, it all depends on how loud you like things and how far your sweet spot is from your front-stage. As mentioned, I would try your X4400 first and go from there. We are all different and have different needs. I like to rock out every now and then, but most of the time I listen at moderate levels. How far back is your sweet spot from your front-stage? Do you like it very loud or more moderate levels?

Cheers,

Phil
Ah, I getcha. I like to listen to my movies/TV at moderate-high levels of volume but I also want there to be great clarity and sparkle for all the ranges at low volumes (i have a 3 month old). My sweetspot or position where I sit is exactly 11ft 10in from the face of my TV.
post #736 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, I getcha. I like to listen to my movies/TV at moderate-high levels of volume but I also want there to be great clarity and sparkle for all the ranges at low volumes (i have a 3 month old). My sweetspot or position where I sit is exactly 11ft 10in from the face of my TV.
The A2.4 center is the best center channel speaker that I have ever owned. It is loud and clear and very easy to drive. Your X4400 will do fine imho. I would at least try it first before ordering an outboard amp. (3) A2.4's across the front is pure magic! It totally blew me away. My MLP was 8' from my front-stage. I never felt the need for more power. That is, the Denon AVR-X4000 did a superb job for me. The X4400 is the newest version and is a very good AVR!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by audiofreak38; 11-22-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #737 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The A2.4 center is the best center channel speaker that I have ever owned. It is loud and clear and very easy to drive. Your X4400 will do fine imho. I would at least try it first before ordering an outboard amp. (3) A2.4's across the front is pure magic! It totally blew me away. My MLP was 8' from my front-stage. I never felt the need for more power. That is, the Denon AVR-X4000 did a superb for me. The X4400 is the newest version and is a very good AVR!

Cheers,

Phil
Awesome sauce! Thanks for sharing your experience. That's why I love these forums - for the people who help guide others through their experiences. It's so easy to get carried away in this hobby and so I appreciate all the suggestions. Take it easy!
audiofreak38 likes this.
post #738 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
The A2.4 center is the best center channel speaker that I have ever owned. It is loud and clear and very easy to drive. Your X4400 will do fine imho. I would at least try it first before ordering an outboard amp. (3) A2.4's across the front is pure magic! It totally blew me away. My MLP was 8' from my front-stage. I never felt the need for more power. That is, the Denon AVR-X4000 did a superb for me. The X4400 is the newest version and is a very good AVR!

Cheers,

Phil
Edit
audiofreak38 likes this.

Last edited by mpk1970; 11-23-2018 at 06:06 AM.
post #739 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I love a blonde with big fake tits
Dam I just met a brunette with bigger fake titties
T2s
Dam if u do
Dam if u don't
What? No redheads.........LOL!!!! One thing I learned about redheads is to watch their fingernails. That was a really wild night back in the day. Glad you like your Emotiva towers. Been looking at the B1 bookshelfs myself. Have read nothing but good things about them.

Cheers,

Phil
post #740 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 06:31 PM

I might just buy both the Chane A2.4s (3x) and the Emotiva C2 center channel and a pair of B1s (curious as to why there is no B2 bookshelf).

Really interested to see how the Emotiva center measures up to the sound from Chanes A2.4

It'll be good to try out both for a couple weeks and return the loser.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #741 of 752 Old 11-22-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I might just buy both the Chane A2.4s (3x) and the Emotiva C2 center channel and a pair of B1s (curious as to why there is no B2 bookshelf).
Well, the B1 is not going to stand a chance against the A2.4 ... a fairer matchup would be the B1 vs the A1.4

I think the reason Emotiva doesn't make a B2 is because it would probably cost at least $500/pr which puts it too close to the $700/pr T1 towers...which, if you add in the cost of speaker stands for the B2, would be just a $100 or less difference.

However, if you're interested in doing MTM x 3, I would look into the RBH R515 which is currently on sale for just $150 apiece...jaw-dropping bargain.
https://rbhsound.com/bfs-2018zx.php

3 x R515 = $450 shipped,
or
2 x R515 + 1 x R515e = $545 shipped
Lp85253 and mpk1970 like this.

post #742 of 752 Old 11-23-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Well, the B1 is not going to stand a chance against the A2.4 ... a fairer matchup would be the B1 vs the A1.4

I think the reason Emotiva doesn't make a B2 is because it would probably cost at least $500/pr which puts it too close to the $700/pr T1 towers...which, if you add in the cost of speaker stands for the B2, would be just a $100 or less difference.

However, if you're interested in doing MTM x 3, I would look into the RBH R515 which is currently on sale for just $150 apiece...jaw-dropping bargain.

3 x R515 = $450 shipped,
or
Interesting...would you say the RBH 515Es are comparable to the Chane A2.4s or better in sounds quality/performance for HT?
post #743 of 752 Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Interesting...would you say the RBH 515Es are comparable to the Chane A2.4s or better in sounds quality/performance for HT?
I would expect them to be close, slightly better or not quite as good, I have no idea. Hard to say, really: There's not been nearly as much feedback about them on this forum because RBH seems to be pretty complacent about promoting them. My conjecture is that RBH already enjoys plenty of revenue from its dealer-only upmarket model lines, and so the "Impression" ID series seem to be more of an afterthought and half-hearted experiment.
mystickid likes this.

post #744 of 752 Old 11-23-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 1645
Quote:
What? No redheads.........LOL!!!! One thing I learned about redheads is to watch their fingernails. That was a really wild night back in the day. Glad you like your Emotiva towers. Been looking at the B1 bookshelfs myself. Have read nothing but good things about them.

Cheers,

Phil
i would think you would find the b1s very interesting..i would bet that you would like them , but as we know , one can never tell...
audiofreak38 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #745 of 752 Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

3 x R515 = $450 shipped,
or
actually .. if you take dynamics and pure volume out of the equation *in a small / med room* i would take the b1s and take my chances .. however, if loud is your thing the a2.4 is the clear winner in anything bigger than a closet...
Zorba922 likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #746 of 752 Old 11-23-2018, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
i would think you would find the b1s very interesting..i would bet that you would like them , but as we know , one can never tell...
Hello Lee hope all is well. I do intend to get around to giving the B1's a try. Actually, I plan to drive to Franklin, TN and take a tour of Emotiva's facilities come next Spring. I have family that lives there so plan to catch up w/them while I am there. Hope to make a full day of it. It is only a little over 2.5 hours drive from me. At least, that is my plan. Hope that you have had a good Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Phil
post #747 of 752 Old 11-23-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello Lee hope all is well. I do intend to get around to giving the B1's a try. Actually, I plan to drive to Franklin, TN and take a tour of Emotiva's facilities come next Spring. I have family that lives there so plan to catch up w/them while I am there. Hope to make a full day of it. It is only a little over 2.5 hours drive from me. At least, that is my plan. Hope that you have had a good Thanksgiving!

Cheers,

Phil
happy Thanksgiving to you as well.. that sounds like a fun way to spend a day..and that is a facility i would love to see myself.. i tell you , i still find the b1s surprise me on occasion a to how good they sound, it sounds a little bit fanboy -ish i know but i still can't get over how good the mids and treble are on that speaker. enjoy your weekend
audiofreak38 likes this.

post #748 of 752 Old 11-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
actually .. if you take dynamics and pure volume out of the equation *in a small / med room* i would take the b1s and take my chances .. however, if loud is your thing the a2.4 is the clear winner in anything bigger than a closet...

I didn't know you had gotten a chance to hear the Chanes. What did you think of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
post #749 of 752 Old 11-24-2018, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
I didn't know you had gotten a chance to hear the Chanes. What did you think of them?

have not heard them , if you re read my post you will observe that i make certain assumptions based on my experience with emotiva.. i plan on hearing chane at some point, i assume they are very nice, i am just partial the emotiva tweeter and presentation..
BufordTJustice likes this.

post #750 of 752 Old 11-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
have not heard them , if you re read my post you will observe that i make certain assumptions based on my experience with emotiva.. i plan on hearing chane at some point, i assume they are very nice, i am just partial the emotiva tweeter and presentation..

Oh. I'm confused. You drew a pretty clear and specific comparison, regarding how the speakers sound, and I thought you had heard the Chanes already.

Lp85253 likes this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Parasound HALO C2 pre/pro | modded Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Panny BDT-500 | Google Chromecast Audio/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD Transport | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | Darbee DVP-5000S | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | surround: custom finished Chane A5rx-c | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES (full member).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page