Official Polk Signature Series Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 242Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 783 Old 07-03-2017, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spinnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Official Polk Signature Series Thread

I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the Polk Signature Series line and it's been out for a while now. The Black Walnut Signature Series speakers were announced in September of 2016 and they were in stores by October 2016. The Brown Walnut followed when they were introduced in January of 2017 and they made their way into Pro Source dealers exclusively by February 2017.

So, I'm just wondering who has purchased this new line from Polk and what do you think of them? If you own them, what other speakers have you compared them to and what led you to choose the Polk Signature Series over the other speakers in their price range? Feel free to post pictures of your Polk Signature Series speakers!

https://www.polkaudio.com/collection...gnature-series
waleed likes this.

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere

Last edited by spinnin; 07-03-2017 at 10:19 AM.
spinnin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 783 Old 07-03-2017, 05:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 2
sub'd
matemike is offline  
post #3 of 783 Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the Polk Signature Series line and it's been out for a while now. The Black Walnut Signature Series speakers were announced in September of 2016 and they were in stores by October 2016. The Brown Walnut followed when they were introduced in January of 2017 and they made their way into Pro Source dealers exclusively by February 2017.

So, I'm just wondering who has purchased this new line from Polk and what do you think of them? If you own them, what other speakers have you compared them to and why did you choose the Signature Eries over other speakers in their price range? Feel free to post pictures of your Polk Signature Series speakers!

https://www.polkaudio.com/collection...gnature-series
Sound & Vision's impressions here along with decent looking frequency response charts.

Big plus is they are available at Best Buy with their excellent return policy.

Very nice looking affordable speakers that seem to be a step up from Polks previous "affordable" line of speakers.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review
waleed likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 783 Old 07-03-2017, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spinnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Polk Signature S60 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Sound & Vision's impressions here along with decent looking frequency response charts.

Big plus is they are available at Best Buy with their excellent return policy.

Very nice looking affordable speakers that seem to be a step up from Polks previous "affordable" line of speakers.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-system-review
Hi Geoff,

I read that review when it came out and I agree that the Signature Series is a welcome change to the recent offerings from Polk.

After hearing all of the praise these speakers are receiving here, and on other audio forums, I went out on a limb and I purchased the Signature S60 floor standing speakers along with a Signature S30 from Crutchfield for my hybrid 2-channel/HT. The speakers arrived early last week. Now, I'm saying that I went out on a limb because I didn't hear these before buying them. I honestly believe that the only way to know how the speakers will truly sound in my listening environment is to listen to them in my home on my associated gear.

Out of the box, I was not impressed. I am not a big believer in the "break in period" in regards to audio gear because my previous experiences led me to believe that how something sounds when new is typically how it's going to sound overall. Thankfully, these speakers are quite large and I wasn't eager to pack them back up and ship them back to Crutchfield. I also got them on sale and I think the price I paid was ridiculously low so, if I exchanged them, I'd lose out on the savings. Additionally, I don't think that 'break in" was the reason the sound improved for me.

Regardless, I let the Signature S60's play for about 3 days with a variety of music and, at the end of the 3rd day, they sounded like a completely different set of speakers. In all honesty, I did play with their position in the room over those three days and I think that I probably just got them dialed in correctly in regards to their placement in the room. The down firing Power Port behaves differently than the rear firing ports on my previous speakers and I think that had a lot to do with placing them optimally.

I am now truly gobsmacked by this pair of Signature S60 speakers. The sound is very balanced from top to bottom and the soundstage is wide. I'm definitely hearing a lot more of the details in music that I've not heard so distinctly in the past. I've heard people say that it's like "lifting a veil off the speakers" and that's probably the best way to describe what I'm hearing from the Signature S60's. Initially, I was concerned that they may be too forward in their presentation of the details/top end but that hasn't proven to be the case. In looking at the rest of the components in my setup, I'd say the components have a "laid back" sound quality and that may be offsetting the forward presentation of the Signature S60 speakers so that they are enjoyable and not fatiguing. Both the Cary preamp & the B&K power amp are said to have a "tube-like" sound. I have owned other pieces of gear that were very analytical/dry/harsh but I prefer the combination this setup provides, seeming to hit the sweet spot (not too warm, not too bright, but just about right).

I have owned other Polk speakers in the past, as well as many different brands/types of speakers from many different manufacturers and, regardless of the price, I believe the Signature Series to be truly impressive. Of course, this is all just my own humble, and highly subjective, opinion and YMMV.

Unfortunately, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. If you're planning to order the speakers, as I did, and have them shipped to you, be forewarned that the packing material is pretty minimal. The shipping boxes looked like a couple of deflated balloons because the shipping box, and not the packing material within, took the brunt of the abuse during transit. When the shipping box takes a substantial hit and there is no packing material between the shipping box and the speaker the speaker, itself, will take the hit.

I do like the magnetic grills, but the fabric is easily separated from the plastic frame.

In the "stock" photos, I thought that the Brown Walnut looked pretty classy. I'm not saying it doesn't look good in person but the old adage saying, "black goes with everything" applies. The Brown Walnut will look nice in the right environment, I just don't think it looks as good as the Black Walnut would in my Living Room.

Lastly, the stickers on the front of the Signature S60 speakers are a bad idea. I had to use my fingernail to pry up an edge of the decal in order to start peeling it off of the fascia. There was residual glue left on the facia and I used the decal to try and lift it off. Thankfully, all the glue came off but I wouldn't be too happy if there were scratches or scuffs and glue on the fascia of my brand new speakers because someone thought it'd be a good idea to put a decal on there. That's my $0.02 on the new Signature Series S60 speakers from Polk

djdel002, MFed, djreef and 3 others like this.

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere

Last edited by spinnin; 07-06-2017 at 05:53 AM.
spinnin is offline  
post #5 of 783 Old 07-04-2017, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
Hi Geoff,

I read that review when it came out and I agree that the Signature Series is a welcome to change to the recent offerings from Polk.

After hearing all of the praise these speakers are receiving here, and on other audio forums, I went out on a limb and I purchased the Signature S60 floor standing speakers along with a Signature S30 from Crutchfield for my hybrid 2-channel/HT. The speakers arrived early last week. Now, I'm saying that I went out on a limb because I didn't hear these before buying them because I feel that the only way to know how the speakers will truly sound in my listening environment is to listen to them in my home on my associated gear.

Out of the box, I was not impressed. I am not a big believer in the "break in period" in regards to audio gear because my previous experiences led me to believe that how something sounds when new is typically how it's going to sound overall. Thankfully, these speakers are quite large and I wasn't eager to pack them back up and ship them back to Crutchfield. I also got them on sale and I think the price I paid was ridiculously low and if I exchanged them, I'd lose out on the savings. Additionally, I don't think that 'break in" was the reason the sound improved for me.

Regardless, I let the Signature S60's play for about 3 days with a variety of music and, at the end of the 3rd day, they sounded like a completely different set of speakers. In all honesty, I did play with their position in the room over those three days and I think that I probably just got them dialed in correctly in regards to their placement in the room. The down firing Power Port behaves differently than the rear firing ports on my previous speakers and I think that had a lot to do with placing them optimally.

I am now truly gobsmacked by this pair of Signature S60 speakers. The sound is very balanced from top to bottom and the soundstage is wide. I'm definitely hearing a lot more of the details in music that I've not heard so distinctly in the past. I've heard people say that it's like "lifting a veil off the speakers" and that's probably the best way to describe what I'm hearing from the Signature S60's. Initially, I was concerned that they may be too forward in their presentation of the details/top end but that hasn't proven to be the case. In looking at the rest of the components in my setup, I'd say that they have a "laid back" sound quality and that may also be offsetting the detail of the Signature S60 speakers so that they are enjoyable and not fatiguing. Both the Cary preamp & the B&K power amp are said to have a "tube-like" sound. I have owned other pieces of gear that were very analytical/dry/harsh but I prefer the combination this setup provides, seeing to hit the sweet spot (not too warm, not too bright, but just about right).

I owned other Polk speakers in the past, as well as many different brands/types of speakers from many different manufacturers and, regardless of the price, I believe the Signature Series to be truly impressive. Of course, this is all just my own humble, and highly subjective, opinion and YMMV.

Unfortunately, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. If you're planning to order the speakers, as I did, and have them shipped to you, be forewarned that the packing material is pretty minimal. The shipping boxes looked like a couple of deflated balloons because the shipping box, and not the packing material within, took the brunt of the abuse during transit. When the shipping box takes a substantial hit and there is no packing material between the shipping box and the speaker, the speaker, itself, will take the hit. I do like the magnetic grills, but the fabric is easily separated from the plastic frame. In the "stock" photos, I thought that the Brown Walnut looked pretty classy. I'm not saying it doesn't look good in person but the old adage saying, "black goes with everything" applies. The Brown Walnut will look nice in the right environment, I just don't think it looks as good as the Black Walnut would in my Living Room. Lastly, the stickers on the front of the Signature S60 speakers are a bad idea. I had to use my fingernail to pry up an edge of the decal in order to start peeling it off of the fascia. There was residual glue left on the facia and I used the decal to try and lift it off. Thankfully, all the glue came off but I wouldn't be too happy if there were scratches or scuffs and glue on the fascia of my brand new speakers because someone thought it'd be a good idea to put a decal on there. That's my $0.02 on the new Signature Series S60 speakers from Polk
Really good stuff!

Thanks.

You should have had Best Buy match the price so you could have returned them easily for the black!

That's what I did with my Ushers when my now closed local dealer let me take his floor models home for the two days he was closed; liked everything but the finish color.

Polk seems to have a winner worthy of consideration on their hands.

They are good looking speakers.
spinnin likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #6 of 783 Old 07-11-2017, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spinnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Found out on onther site that the Signature Series is now available in white for the European market:

What Hi*Fi article: https://www.whathifi.com/news/polk-launches-magnifi-max-soundbar-and-signature-range-loudspeakers



Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere
spinnin is offline  
post #7 of 783 Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I demoed the Polk Signature S20s, I was expecting to hate them given that overly bright sound would be fatiguing for me, but surprisingly enjoyed them and did not find them overly bright. I don't have a lot of experience with Polk's other offerings, but these are definitely a good value.
spinnin and yanks1 like this.
klmd is offline  
post #8 of 783 Old 07-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Member
 
MFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I recently upgraded my gen 1 Andrew Jones Pioneer towers to the Polk S55s. I thought I was happy with Pioneers but, as they say, ignorance is bliss. The S55s simply blow them out of the water in every regard. I've got them matched with Polk S10 rear surrounds and OWM3s for Atmos/front heights, along with an older Energy CC5 center and PA-120 sub, and I honestly don't feel like I even need the sub with these towers but now I want to upgrade it and the center too...it's a slippery slope.

Anyway, subbing this thread to keep an eye on what more knowledgeable folks than me think about the Sig Series.
MFed is offline  
post #9 of 783 Old 07-22-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFed View Post
I recently upgraded my gen 1 Andrew Jones Pioneer towers to the Polk S55s. I thought I was happy with Pioneers but, as they say, ignorance is bliss. The S55s simply blow them out of the water in every regard. I've got them matched with Polk S10 rear surrounds and OWM3s for Atmos/front heights, along with an older Energy CC5 center and PA-120 sub, and I honestly don't feel like I even need the sub with these towers but now I want to upgrade it and the center too...it's a slippery slope.

Anyway, subbing this thread to keep an eye on what more knowledgeable folks than me think about the Sig Series.
Well, your towers probably play as low as that entry level sub so I'd go with center first and sub second.

Here are sub ideas; all better than your current one when the time comes.

$200 EMOTIVA BASX S8
$300 EMOTIVA BASX S10
$419 RBH I12 ON CLEARANCE =NO RETURNS
$423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
$500 SVS PB1000
$604 HSU VTF2 MK5
MFed likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #10 of 783 Old 07-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Member
 
MFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Well, your towers probably play as low as that entry level sub so I'd go with center first and sub second.

Here are sub ideas; all better than your current one when the time comes.

$200 EMOTIVA BASX S8
$300 EMOTIVA BASX S10
$419 RBH I12 ON CLEARANCE =NO RETURNS
$423 HSU VTF 1 MK3
$500 SVS PB1000
$604 HSU VTF2 MK5
Thanks, I've had my eye on the SVS PB-1000 and PB-2000 as well as the HSU VTF2 - I'm not unhappy with the Energy center at the moment so the sub is next on the list, if a little ways off.
MFed is offline  
post #11 of 783 Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
spinnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO.
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFed View Post
Thanks, I've had my eye on the SVS PB-1000 and PB-2000 as well as the HSU VTF2 - I'm not unhappy with the Energy center at the moment so the sub is next on the list, if a little ways off.
I've owned a few different SVS subs over the years and the bigger you go, the better! lol. In a HT setup, the sub, especially one that goes low and produces decent spl is going to have you grinning & giggling like a little kid.

The S30 center is what I have paired with my S60's and I'm very happy with that combination. My setup is a hybrid 2-channel/HT and it's mostly used for 2-channel with just the S60's. I live in an apartment so I don't need the sub.

Don't rule out the cylinder subs from SVS as they are lightweight and very easy to move around.

Congrats on your new Signature Series speakers! Glad you are enjoying them!
MFed likes this.

Audio: KEF Q150 * NAD C 316BEE * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Premiere
spinnin is offline  
post #12 of 783 Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Member
 
MFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
I've owned a few different SVS subs over the years and the bigger you go, the better! lol. In a HT setup, the sub, especially one that goes low and produces decent spl is going to have you grinning & giggling like a little kid.

The S30 center is what I have paired with my S60's and I'm very happy with that combination. My setup is a hybrid 2-channel/HT and it's mostly used for 2-channel with just the S60's. I live in an apartment so I don't need the sub.

Don't rule out the cylinder subs from SVS as they are lightweight and very easy to move around.

Congrats on your new Signature Series speakers! Glad you are enjoying them!
Thanks! I'm thinking the PB-2000 is only slightly physically larger than my current sub so size shouldn't be an issue, and I definitely like the specs
spinnin likes this.

Last edited by MFed; 07-23-2017 at 06:58 PM.
MFed is offline  
post #13 of 783 Old 07-27-2017, 12:21 PM
Member
 
MFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So just a little follow-up... prompted by gajCA's comments I did a little rudimentary testing and indeed discovered that the S55s dig about as deep as the PA-120 sub, but are much louder at the lowest end, specifically from 35hz down to the fall-off point (which is supposed to be 32 for the towers but they were still pumping out discernible bass to about 25hz) with less localization since both towers are pushing out the lows instead of the single sub. In my apartment I don't have many options for sub placement so room acoustics probably play a part in the sub falling off early, but I'm still astounded by the S55s.

So I've decided to just ditch the sub altogether for now and run the S55s as "large" through my receiver (Yamaha RX-A660) which also seems to greatly enhance the mids and "wideness" of the entire soundstage compared to the 80hz crossover I was running with the sub. This setup is 90% HT/movies and I don't listen too loud (apartment...) so I'm not too worried about overtaxing the amp or speakers, and when I finally do move out of this dump I'll definitely be replacing the sub, probably with a PB-2000, although there's a [email protected] deal on a used Rythmik F12 on craigslist right now so I may just grab that and see if I can convince my neighbors that we're just having more earthquakes that usual here in San Francisco...yeah, it's weird they're in sync with the shootouts in John Wick 2...strange...

Anyway, long story long the S55s have been promoted from "brilliant" to "revelation" in my little world. Good stuff indeed!
spinnin, iceatola and Sask HT like this.
MFed is offline  
post #14 of 783 Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFed View Post
So just a little follow-up... prompted by gajCA's comments I did a little rudimentary testing and indeed discovered that the S55s dig about as deep as the PA-120 sub, but are much louder at the lowest end, specifically from 35hz down to the fall-off point (which is supposed to be 32 for the towers but they were still pumping out discernible bass to about 25hz) with less localization since both towers are pushing out the lows instead of the single sub. In my apartment I don't have many options for sub placement so room acoustics probably play a part in the sub falling off early, but I'm still astounded by the S55s.

So I've decided to just ditch the sub altogether for now and run the S55s as "large" through my receiver (Yamaha RX-A660) which also seems to greatly enhance the mids and "wideness" of the entire soundstage compared to the 80hz crossover I was running with the sub. This setup is 90% HT/movies and I don't listen too loud (apartment...) so I'm not too worried about overtaxing the amp or speakers, and when I finally do move out of this dump I'll definitely be replacing the sub, probably with a PB-2000, although there's a [email protected] deal on a used Rythmik F12 on craigslist right now so I may just grab that and see if I can convince my neighbors that we're just having more earthquakes that usual here in San Francisco...yeah, it's weird they're in sync with the shootouts in John Wick 2...strange...

Anyway, long story long the S55s have been promoted from "brilliant" to "revelation" in my little world. Good stuff indeed!
I've owned sealed servos for decades and love them; I'd jump on the F12.

A few months ago my 15" sealed servo died and it took about a month of back and forth to get the amp working and it was the first time I listened in 5.0 for an extended period.

As my front three play down to 39hz, with in room extension below, that, I was surprised it sounded pretty darned good!

But I was happy to have the DD15 amp back before Game of Thrones came back!
MFed likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #15 of 783 Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Member
 
MFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My 2 biggest concerns with the F12 are that it's just out of warranty based on the OO's purchase date (2012) and that I won't be able to truly "appreciate" it until I move somewhere else, like to a symphony hall or private cave

But yeah, I'm sitting on my hands trying to not throw my money at the seller...

There's also a slightly used SB-2000 for sale close by, but I'm thinking the F12 or PB-2000 would be a better bet for HT low end...

Last edited by MFed; 07-27-2017 at 12:52 PM.
MFed is offline  
post #16 of 783 Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just got notification that my Polks will arrive today. S55 fronts, s35 centre and s15 rears.

I don't have a sub because my options are limited. I like in a remote location so I'm doing online ordering without listening.
My options for subs are.
Klipsch R112SW
Yamaha NS-SW700
Polk 125 or whatever it is but I'm already ruling that out. Bad specs.
Kef q400 sub.
Elac 10eq

What to do?


Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
mickfitz76 is offline  
post #17 of 783 Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfitz76 View Post
Just got notification that my Polks will arrive today. S55 fronts, s35 centre and s15 rears.

I don't have a sub because my options are limited. I like in a remote location so I'm doing online ordering without listening.
My options for subs are.
Klipsch R112SW
Yamaha NS-SW700
Polk 125 or whatever it is but I'm already ruling that out. Bad specs.
Kef q400 sub.
Elac 10eq

What to do?


Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Where do you live?

If in Europe take a look at XTZ or BK Electronics.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #18 of 783 Old 08-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Where do you live?

If in Europe take a look at XTZ or BK Electronics.
I ended up with the Kipsch R112SW.
I'm not sure I'll even need it though. These S55's really give good base and couldn't be more happier with these speakers.
Can't believe they sound as good as they do for the money.
I was nervous because I ordered them based on a few YouTube videos.


The tear down of the S55 was the clincher.
It's Russian language but has English subtitles.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
gajCA likes this.
mickfitz76 is offline  
post #19 of 783 Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,396
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfitz76 View Post
I ended up with the Kipsch R112SW.
I'm not sure I'll even need it though. These S55's really give good base and couldn't be more happier with these speakers.
Can't believe they sound as good as they do for the money.
I was nervous because I ordered them based on a few YouTube videos.

https://youtu.be/c86gKHCuNGM

The tear down of the S55 was the clincher.
It's Russian language but has English subtitles.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Congratulations.

That is a very good sub.

Good choice and, yes, it will improve the sound for movies, especially action movies.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #20 of 783 Old 08-05-2017, 07:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Congratulations.

That is a very good sub.

Good choice and, yes, it will improve the sound for movies, especially action movies.
I can't wait for it to arrive.
Today I started setting up the front 3 speakers in their permanent spots.
Ran the Marantz software and these things just throb base.
These have to be the best budget speakers on the market. They look good, great build quality and sound amazing.
Even my buddy with Klipsch RP 250F and 250c is very jealous. He tried his best to get me to Klipsch and now he is the one in doubt with his purchase.
Now I'm going to search out 4 atmos in ceiling speakers and try to get to my 5.2.4 goal by year end.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
mickfitz76 is offline  
post #21 of 783 Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I recently picked up a pair of S20 refurbs for $159 on Polk’s eBay store.

I bought them to play around with and to potentially put in my garage to replace my trusty ’90 Polk Monitor C’s ever they ever fail and need to be pulled for service.

One of the S20 cabinets had a very noticeable scratch, so Polk sent me a replacement cabinet free of charge. Figured I’d snap a few pics while swapping the components to the new cabinet.

The cabinet has a window pane brace below the port. The corners are also reinforced. There is batting attached to side walls under the brace only.

The woofer and tweeter magnets are pretty beefy.

The crossover looks pretty simple and uses modest parts.

For $159/pair, in a 2.0 channel context, I think the S20 would be hard to beat at that price. They sound pretty balanced to me, have good resolution, image well, have very satisfying bass, and can play pretty loud without obvious strain. I’ve tested more expensive speakers (JBL 530 and Def Tech SM65) that had woofer bottoming out issues when the level is pushed. The S20 woofers have not had this issue in my testing.

At the full $300/pair retail price, there is a lot of good competition. I feel the S20 are certainly worth of an audition and comparison to other speakers in this price range, especially in a 2.0 channel context where one values satisfying bass and ability to push the volume a bit. Another thing to consider is Polk's excellent customer service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170804_162218.jpg (2.10 MB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg 20170804_163756.jpg (2.28 MB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 20170804_164219.jpg (2.30 MB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg 20170804_164609.jpg (2.51 MB, 267 views)
adam2434 is offline  
post #22 of 783 Old 08-05-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,865
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam2434 View Post

For $159/pair, in a 2.0 channel context, I think the S20 would be hard to beat at that price. They sound pretty balanced to me, have good resolution, image well, have very satisfying bass, and can play pretty loud without obvious strain. I’ve tested more expensive speakers (JBL 530 and Def Tech SM65) that had woofer bottoming out issues when the level is pushed. The S20 woofers have not had this issue in my testing.

Nice price, agreed.

How would you compare the S20 to the SM65s in other regards? Which do you prefer overall?

It'd be interesting for someone to do a cheapo shootout here one of these days. Something like Polk S vs Cores vs JBL 17 vs QAcoustic 2020s... the $100-$200 range speakers.
hwang1607 likes this.
Doe Doe is online now  
post #23 of 783 Old 08-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Nice price, agreed.

How would you compare the S20 to the SM65s in other regards? Which do you prefer overall?

It'd be interesting for someone to do a cheapo shootout here one of these days. Something like Polk S vs Cores vs JBL 17 vs QAcoustic 2020s... the $100-$200 range speakers.
I would say that the SM65 are superior in clarity and resolution (their original retail price is 3x the S20's). I would prefer the SM65 if used with a sub to relieve them of low bass. In a 2.0 context at higher levels, I would not recommend them due to the woofers bottoming out.
Doe Doe likes this.
adam2434 is offline  
post #24 of 783 Old 08-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Member
 
k1ngf1sh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm really torn between the S55 and S60 for a 2.0 music setup. The cost of the S55 is much more in line with what I'm wanting to spend but I listen to a lot of electronic music, and while everybody says the bass on the S55 is really good, I worry that I'll need the extra oomph of the S60.

Anybody have any input on this?
k1ngf1sh is offline  
post #25 of 783 Old 08-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngf1sh View Post
I'm really torn between the S55 and S60 for a 2.0 music setup. The cost of the S55 is much more in line with what I'm wanting to spend but I listen to a lot of electronic music, and while everybody says the bass on the S55 is really good, I worry that I'll need the extra oomph of the S60.

Anybody have any input on this?
I've got the s55. They put out plenty of bass.
The s50 and the s55 are about the same in bass surprisingly. S50 gets down to 33hz, s55 gets down to 32hz and the flagship s60 gets way down to 26hz.

The midrange is where the s55 speakers shine.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
mickfitz76 is offline  
post #26 of 783 Old 08-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
neelesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 67
FYI, there is a Polk S15 (pair) on sale on Amazon through Electronics Expo for $109, the S30 Center for $109, and the S50 floorstanding for $109 (each). They are used but in like new condition.
neelesh is offline  
post #27 of 783 Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I just tried the s30 in store and I don't like it. I'm sending my s35 back and going another brand for centre. I listened to a JBL studio centre that's the same price and it thumped both s30 and s35.
Buyers remorse never felt so strong.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
mickfitz76 is offline  
post #28 of 783 Old 08-08-2017, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,446
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked: 3759
I also recently upgraded from the T series. I purchased the s55, s35 and s15. Not much of an audiophile but the difference is pretty dramatic...I finally found the right speakers for my yamaha rx-v681!!!
Cam1977 is online now  
post #29 of 783 Old 08-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
adam2434's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfitz76 View Post
I just tried the s30 in store and I don't like it. I'm sending my s35 back and going another brand for centre. I listened to a JBL studio centre that's the same price and it thumped both s30 and s35.
Buyers remorse never felt so strong.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Were the Polk and JBL centers swapped in and out of the same system/AVR, or were they connected to different systems?

Was any EQ or tone control used for any of the speakers?
adam2434 is offline  
post #30 of 783 Old 08-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Member
 
MFed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ok, a little more follow-up on the S55s, with a bit more sub talk thrown in for good measure

After a few weeks of running the S55s without a sub I was starting to notice that the (amazing) bass could be a bit overpowering during movies/Netflix/etc. since I was no longer specifically 'controlling' it with a separate, tuned sub. Still fantastic, mind still blown, but it was noticeable enough over time to do something about so I expedited my subwoofer replacement plan and was about to pull the trigger on the Craigslist Rythmik when a basically brand new SVS SB-2000 popped up for about half retail price, so I jumped on it. It wasn't my first choice in a sub, but it was probably still a better choice than the PB-1000 I was leaning toward before, especially since it cost even less, and it was a much better deal than the Rythmik, so I rolled the dice.

DEFINITELY made the right call. It's "musical" and "precise" as described in several reviews, but it's also subtle and, I think, the perfect compliment to the S55s in my application. It digs deep without being overpowering and just fills in the low gaps perfectly, plus it can absolutely punch you in the chest when the scene calls for it, something my old sub couldn't do nearly as cleanly or solidly. I actually jumped off the couch the first time it "hit" during a movie -I forget which movie/scene it was, but it was a sudden explosion that I'd watched a million times before and the newfound power behind it caught me completely off-guard.

So again long story long, still absolutely loving the S55s (and S10 surrounds...) even without a sub (mostly - they really do swing lower than they have any right to...), and the SVS sub feels like it was made just to round out these speakers. If I had a bigger, more private space I would consider the PB-2000 or dual SB-2000s, or even the Ultra, but as things stand this setup is the real deal.

If you're on the fence about the Polk Sigs I absolutely recommend you jump off it feet first and grab a set. If you're worried about a sub to go with them I would honestly say it's not an immediate necessity, so you can take your time and enjoy the S's while you research your choice in subs.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
spinnin and Sask HT like this.
MFed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off