Small Speakers to Please Fiancee - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #31 of 65 Old 07-14-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
atmos speakers, sounds interesting

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...er-system.html

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 07-14-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Is this your speaker -

https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...ker/index.html

All I can say it - You are going to regret this, especially if you like to listen to music in an even remotely serious way. From tiny speakers comes tiny sound.

And those are not remotely big speakers. The very best tiny speakers is still a tiny speaker. Make a deal with her, if she gets rid of half her shoes, you will change your speakers.

Speaker have to perform a function, that overrides everything. You can buy speakers that DO NOT do what you need done and spend the next 10 years in bitter regret, or you can convince the soon to be wife that function overrides form. The speakers have to be what the speakers have to be in order to do what needs to be done.

So, before we go any further, you have to decide what needs to be done. That is, how will the speaker be used, how will the system be used? Understanding what you need functionally is the key to understanding what you need physically. So, buy and build to meet the need not to meet false aesthetics.

Also, you can keep what you have for free, but to change means spending money. Good for free tends to trunp worse for more money.

Also, can we assume that the Tiny speakers include a Subwoofer?

8.5" x 13.5" is not a big speaker, this is a big speaker -

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...tower-speakers

Dimensions (HWD): 43.4" x 9.8" x 15.6"

These are big speakers -

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/

Cabinet Dimensions (HxWxD): 1315x650x290mm ( 51.8" H x 25.6" W x 11.4" D)

THESE are some big speakers -

https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/...ande-utopia-em

Dimensions (H x L x D): 79-13/16" x 25-3/4" x 34-5/8" (2012 x 654 x 880mm)

Your speakers are pretty ordinary in terms of size.

Focus on what you want to accomplish in that space, then buy speakers that accomplish that task. To do otherwise is a lifetime of regret and very likely additional expense.

Though that could explain why I am a bachelor.

Form follows function.

Steve/bluewizard
coaxy likes this.

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-14-2017 at 02:31 PM.
post #33 of 65 Old 07-14-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Additional, speakers like Kef can be purchased in white, and sometimes that is preferred by the fair-er sex

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 65 Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...speaker-system

These were/are my current surround sound system. The sub I'm using is a cheap onkyo though.
post #35 of 65 Old 07-17-2017, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to mention the setup will be used a majority of the time for movies and some regular tv.
post #36 of 65 Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5776
I wonder if J.S. Bach's wife complained that his organ was too big.

OP, Kal is right. The speakers you have now are small.
post #37 of 65 Old 07-17-2017, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

OP, Kal is right. The speakers you have now are small.
They're small, but sound good to me....
post #38 of 65 Old 07-17-2017, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Quote:
Preferable to the wife complaining your organ is too small.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #39 of 65 Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 4703
I was going to recommend Ascend Acoustics Sierra Lunas, 5.5"(W) x 6"(D) x 10.5"(H) but they are way out of your budget ($1148 + shipping per pair). These speakers have RAAL tweeter and a 4.5" SEAS custom made woofer. They are front ported so can be mount agains the wall.

http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf...a-luna-speaker

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #40 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Get some Klipsch KHorns. Then she will know you mean business!

In all seriousness, if this is how things are starting out where she makes "decisions" while you keep your manhood on the mantle then future "decisions" might not go so even in the future.

Be respectful, be moderate but if you want a stereo has better soundstage than a kazoo have a discussion about it. Shoot for more then you want then settle and compromise. But just barely getting enough to squeak by is only going to present a situation where she placed a limit on what you both got , but only she was happy with the purchase.

Good luck.
bigguyca likes this.

ARC Ref 3, Parasound A21, Parasound T3, Marantz SA-15S2, SAE E102 eq, Joseph Audio Pulsar, Rythmik F12
post #41 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hello Brando,

Hope you are well.

Explain to her that your speakers are vintage wooden speakers made by a company that went out of business, that they are extremely rare and sound and look very nice. Show her that your speakers are pretty small compared to other speakers, and that they look really nice in that wooden room with their beautiful wood finish. Put them in the space on some nice stands to match the decor of the room and let her see how they look in that space. Trick is to make everything match to get over her fear that they are too big, make her see them as a work of beautiful wooden art that make everything sound nice. The X-1s are very good speakers, replacing them would be expensive, replacing them with something smaller would be a mistake and downgrade in sound quality.

Put them in the room and let her see them.

Later,

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando457 View Post
My fiance and I are moving in together. Originally I planned on using my current Onix X-1s 5.1 setup for our living room to pair with a Sony 65"XBR900E or XBR930E. The Onix X-1s are 8.5" W x 13.5"H, x 12.125" D.

She does not like the look of the large speakers and prefers either a soundbar or ones that are discreet / "tiny".

I have a budget of approximately $1,500 - $1,800 for speakers, sub, and receiver.

I am considering one of the following, but appreciate suggestions before I pull the trigger:
- Sony HT-ST-5000 sound bar
- Cambridge Minx Min 22 & X301 sub
- Orb Mod2x, Center channel Mod4x, & Subone200
- Sonos Playbar w/ Sub & Play1s for rears

Attached are two photos to get an idea of the room. One couch will go against the railing and the other in front of the window. The TV/speakers will be on top of a TV stand on the right wall. The other room is the dining room. The home is a bi-level. http://imgur.com/a/pI98p

Thanks in advance!

post #42 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottajam View Post
In all seriousness, if this is how things are starting out where she makes "decisions" while you keep your manhood on the mantle then future "decisions" might not go so even in the future.
+1. First it's your speakers, then it's how you dress, then it's what you drive, what church you go to (or not), how you vote, what you eat. There's no end to the list of things in a man that need 'fixing', a process that will never end if you don't stop it before it becomes the basis of the relationship. As already suggested she gets to choose your speakers when you get to choose her shoes.
Zorba922 and bigguyca like this.
post #43 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I've been up and down the speaker rabbit hole over the years. For some perspective our Mains are a custom Salk MTM design.
However, for surrounds, we needed something really small in our current home. After much deliberation, we went with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not much to look at, but that's the point. They disappear into our exposed ceiling beams.
BIC is a respected name in audio. High build quality (heavy).
With a good sub (we have HSU and Paradigm), they sound amazing. With appropriate speaker stands, they can handle duty as mains in a medium size room. They can handle power and play loud without distortion. They put out a huge soundfield for such small drivers. >100 4+ star reviews. As a bonus, they are really affordable.
Plus Amazon prime...free returns. Check them out.
post #44 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
So in that case I'd set my sub to 120 hz or 150 hz and then it'd be the correct balance for the speakers?
With the receiver crossover set at 120 or 150 hz, only signals above that setting will go to the speakers, all frequencies below will go to the sub.

Commonly, 80 hz, is accepted to be the upper range at which sound is omnidirectional. Above that point you are likely to hear the source of those sounds. If the crossover is set at 80 hz, then it is unlikely that you will hear bass coming directly from the subwoofer (because it's omnidirectional). It will probably sound like it is coming from the speakers that are reproducing the higher frequencies.

In contrast, if you set the crossover higher (i.e. 150 hz) you run the risk of having the perception that the bass is coming directly from the sub. So you may have most of the band playing on stage in front of you, and the bass player and kick drums coming from the floor in the corner (or where ever the sub is placed).
post #45 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
What about KEF LS50 for $1500 Or wireless for a little more than your budget.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #46 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
My fiance and I are moving in together...
My best advice: Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

I like the idea of trying out SVS but I may be biased.
Leon O likes this.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
post #47 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
My fiance and I are moving in together. Originally I planned on using my current Onix X-1s 5.1 setup for our living room to pair with a Sony 65"XBR900E or XBR930E. The Onix X-1s are 8.5" W x 13.5"H, x 12.125" D.

She does not like the look of the large speakers and prefers either a soundbar or ones that are discreet / "tiny".

I have a budget of approximately $1,500 - $1,800 for speakers, sub, and receiver.

I am considering one of the following, but appreciate suggestions before I pull the trigger:
- Sony HT-ST-5000 sound bar
- Cambridge Minx Min 22 & X301 sub
- Orb Mod2x, Center channel Mod4x, & Subone200
- Sonos Playbar w/ Sub & Play1s for rears

Attached are two photos to get an idea of the room. One couch will go against the railing and the other in front of the window. The TV/speakers will be on top of a TV stand on the right wall. The other room is the dining room. The home is a bi-level. http://imgur.com/a/pI98p

Thanks in advance!

Generally I only make technical sorts of posts, but very frankly I had two thoughts when I read the above:

1) You're kidding.

2) This is depressing.
Zorba922 and acras13 like this.
post #48 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Once the furniture and TV is in I am going to pick a pair of speakers recommended. Order them. Set them up. And she can see how they look. I'm not going to waste my $ on **** just to please her and am getting annoyed by this whole thing.
Zorba922 likes this.
post #49 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
....am getting annoyed by this whole thing.
'My suggestion is to set up the existing system as is, then tell the girl-friend that once you are settled in you will start researching new speakers, and see what you can come up with. Then never do it.

Occasionally, show her some outrageous speakers that you are dying to have, which she will shoot down. Eventually she will get used to your existing speakers, and forget about it.

Delay...delay...delay....

Your speakers are NOT big. I re-emphasize, that speakers are not too look at, they have a specific job to do, and if they don't do that job, then you have wasted your money.

Forget size and focus on the job that needs to be done.

Steve/bluewizard
post #50 of 65 Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
'My suggestion is to set up the existing system as is, then tell the girl-friend that once you are settled in you will start researching new speakers, and see what you can come up with. Then never do it.

Occasionally, show her some outrageous speakers that you are dying to have, which she will shoot down. Eventually she will get used to your existing speakers, and forget about it.

Your speakers are NOT big. I re-emphasize, that speakers are not too look at, they have a specific job to do, and if they don't do that job, then you have wasted your money.

Steve/bluewizard
Tell her that you want to buy 5 of these: http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html
but then say that you like to looks of your current speakers better...
Zorba922 and Purenv like this.
post #51 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
+1. OP, you're dealing with genetic issues against which you will never prevail. Women in general, though not all by any means, don't care about how it sounds, only how it looks, which is preferably not there at all. Men in general, though not all by any means, don't care if it looks good, so long as it sounds good. You're as likely to reach a mutual agreement as the Senate will on health care. A smart man learns early on when he should defer and when he should stand his ground. Of course, a really smart man never gets married, he just finds a woman he doesn't like and buys her a house.
Zorba922 and Purenv like this.
post #52 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:

Steve/bluewizard
There you go. Great advice. "Honey, we need to save more money for the wedding/honeymoon/decorating other rooms in the house. We'll take care of the speakers later." Buy some nice looking speaker stands and TV stand if you must to dress up the space for the time being, but leave it for years until you get to the point in your relationship where the compromise on that sort of stuff can come into play. That may be where you get a room for home theater/gaming to do what you want (at which point, it would be full on upgrade speaker time) and she gets the rest of the house to decorate or she may become tolerant of the speaker obsession.

I managed to parlay my wife's "the speakers are ugly" comment into a new upgraded speaker set as part of a redecorating/reorganization of the living room. She won't let me take the grills off the speakers, but the look of the room is now mostly clean, organized, and matching. She approves of the look even though she hates speakers. I used stuff I removed from the living room to help organize stuff in one of my kids' room and in their gaming area (things I used to help convince her on the project) so there were wins overall for her. She didn't like me spending the money but she is happy with the result. I'm tapped out now, but once money becomes available, it will be, "you know the subwoofer does not match anything in the living room, I think it needs to be changed out."
bluewizard and Purenv like this.
post #53 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
+1. OP, you're dealing with genetic issues against which you will never prevail. ...
Which is why I didn't say -

Refuse.... refuse.... refuse...

I said -

Delay.... delay.... delay....

Don't say NO, rather say - YES ... but it is going to take some time to settle in and start researching it. Give me some time.

Some time like 20 years, or until you actually want to buy new speakers.

The person has to decide if his relationship is Master/Slave or Partners in Life.

Though keep in mind, after more years than I care to count, I'm still a bachelor. But should I meet a lovely woman, she has to understand that my speakers and myself are a package deal ... you take one, you take them both. But then ... I am a bachelor.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-19-2017 at 11:53 AM.
post #54 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post
There you go. Great advice. "Honey, we need to save more money for the wedding/honeymoon/decorating other rooms in the house. We'll take care of the speakers later."... I'm tapped out now, but once money becomes available, it will be, "you know the subwoofer does not match anything in the living room, I think it needs to be changed out."
It is not whether you win or lose that counts; it is how you play the game.

Well played.

Steve/bluewizard
post #55 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Thankfully my girl loves good sound and puts up with all my speaker nonsense. She is a classically trained pianist so all I gotta do is say "babe, the piano will sound amazing on these"...lol.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #56 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that aesthetics and general size are not important. That's precisely why I prefer natural wood over ugly black even in a Home Cinema Room.

I don't know the finish on your speakers, but from the photos I was able to find, in natural wood, those are gorgeous speakers, and not inexpensive.

There is also the elements of priorities, moving into a new house? Is this the time to be shopping for more speakers? Aren't there other higher priorities in the moment?

I would be very curious to see a photo of your speakers so I can determine for myself how "ugly" and "big" they are.

And ... tell you girlfriend she has way too many shoes, and that she needs to get rid of half of them because they are cluttering up the closet. See how that goes over. I'm guessing not well. Not well at all.

Also -

Stereo or Surround Sound?

Subwoofer or NO Subwoofer?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-19-2017 at 12:28 PM.
post #57 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
Does the OP realize he is going to end up with just a pair of headphones?
And his manhood in a jar of formaldehyde to boot.
Purenv likes this.

Nick

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996
post #58 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 2242
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I was going to recommend Ascend Acoustics Sierra Lunas, 5.5"(W) x 6"(D) x 10.5"(H) but they are way out of your budget ($1148 + shipping per pair). These speakers have RAAL tweeter and a 4.5" SEAS custom made woofer. They are front ported so can be mount agains the wall.

http://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf...a-luna-speaker
I am on a small speaker kick lately and these look interesting. Ascend is close to me so I should go check them out.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #59 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 4703
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I am on a small speaker kick lately and these look interesting. Ascend is close to me so I should go check them out.
Make sure to call Dina or Dave @Ascend at Ascend Acoustics before going over there. They do auditions but it's with previous appointment.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #60 of 65 Old 07-19-2017, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Small Speakers to Please Fiancee

You seem like a nice guy. So let me do you a favor. I had a girlfriend once that was very much like yours except yours is a fiancé. She eventually gave me the ultimatum that I needed to downsize my speakers. She also said that they were not needed and were an extra accessory. To which I replied that having 100 pairs of shoes are not necessary and are an unneeded accessory. By her stating that your speakers are too big, which they're not, and that you need to change them. she is basically telling you that it's her way or the highway. Now I would be willing to bet that you obviously love this woman because you've been pulling your hair out trying to contemplate what to do to solve the situation. Here's my two cents: take the highway as fast as you can go, put the pedal to the metal, and run like heck. just think of it this way, what if it doesn't work out between the two of you? how mad are you going to be with yourself that you basically got rid of some very nice expensive speakers and replace them with something subpar?
I am now happily married to obviously a different girl and even though she's not excited about my big speakers. she had no problem with me keeping my big speakers and the deal was when we got married that the basement is mine and the rest the house is hers so now I get to build my home theater and put whatever I want in it. if you cannot compromise on this with you keeping what you already have and she keeps what she has, then believe me you are up against an uphill battle for the rest of your relationship concerning many many other conversations and or decisions. I truly wish you the best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Purenv; 07-19-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page