I got $500 help me spend it - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #31 of 104 Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Whatever the problem is, it isn't the lack of a center speaker. Plenty of people run stereo setups (myself included) and have no problem with dialog intelligibility.

Come to think of it, TVs all have stereo speakers built-in (no center speakers) and that's what most people listen to and it works fine. I mean, it's not good, but nobody complains that they can't understand dialog.

If the XBox has a headphone jack, you might try plugging that into the sound bar to really force the XBox to output stereo (2.0) sound and force the sound bar to play it. Turn off any sort of "dynamic" or "surround sound" features on the sound bar that might be garbling the signal. The goal is to get the left and right speakers (and subwoofer) to output whatever the TV speakers would normally output--that should sound good and you can work on improving things from there.

If you want to get rid of the sound bar, IMO the first step is to buy a pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers, get an AV receiver, and see what you think. As long as you put the speakers alongside your TV and not in the corners of your room you shouldn't need a center channel speaker. You'd probably want to add a subwoofer before a center channel.

You can get the Sonys at Best Buy. They're good. I just bought a pair myself for my computer and I'm loving them.

You can get old used receivers on Craigslist for cheap. Basically any receiver will do if you just want to start out by sending the headphone-out stereo signal to the Sony speakers.

EDIT: For simplicity and versatility, think about plugging your TV into the sound bar and/or whatever receiver you get. Who knows what that XBox is outputting.
So you're running a 2 channel setup and listening to Blu-Rays and 4K HDR Blu-Rays with now dialog issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 104 Old 07-11-2017, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2680 Post(s)
Liked: 1270
Quote:
I still disagree. My ideas about what might be going wrong:

It's certainly possible something with his setup is making dialogue even worse than it should be. I wouldn't dismiss that possibility.

OP stated he tried everything he could to fix it, so just assumed he tried most or all of what you suggested.

However for the price, I still think he's better off with speakers.
post #33 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Actually my brother complains all the time that they can't understand dialogue from their TV's built-in speakers.

But yes, a soundbar should be better than his TV's speakers. I didn't follow exactly what his problem was, but did he say his soundbar was worse than his TV, or simply the dialogue clarity from his soundbar wasn't good as he expected? It's possible that clarity from both stink.
Its not dialog clarity its dialog volume level. I have to turn up the volume to hear what they are saying and then when explosions / action scenes happen the room shakes because I have to turn up the volume to hear what people are saying in the movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitynzxt View Post
Its not dialog clarity its dialog volume level. I have to turn up the volume to hear what they are saying and then when explosions / action scenes happen the room shakes because I have to turn up the volume to hear what people are saying in the movie.
You could try lowering your sub level then.

Although if it still occurs even with a lowered sub level, again, it could simply be due to small drivers.
post #35 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
You could try lowering your sub level then.

Although if it still occurs even with a lowered sub level, again, it could simply be due to small drivers.
Sub isn't the problem i had it turned off during testing of this issue

Also music sounds fantastic on the soundbar as well as watching regular cable tv no issues just when watching 5.1 / 7.1 Blu-Rays
post #36 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
So you're running a 2 channel setup and listening to Blu-Rays and 4K HDR Blu-Rays with now dialog issues?
Absolutely none. I have two large bookshelf speakers, no center channel, and no subwoofer. I invite people over all the time to watch TV and movies and they're blown away by my sound setup.

Stereo is great. I mean, there are audiophiles on these forums who will spend $20,000 on a pair of speakers to get optimal sound quality. It's ridiculous to think that they might need a center channel to make dialog intelligible.

I suspect that if you get a pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers, any receiver at all, and connect them up to your TV, you will be more than satisfied with the sound.
post #37 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm... and I assume you turned off any weird processing, or surround sound effects, or whatever your soundbar uses there?

To me, it's sort of a moot issue, as I am not a soundbar fan to begin with. If you are okay with the extra complexity of an AVR, and can return the soundbar, I'd say do that regardless.
post #38 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also music sounds fantastic on the soundbar as well as watching regular cable tv no issues just when watching 5.1 / 7.1 Blu-Rays
Then something must be going wrong with how the XBox is sending the multi-channel signal to the sound bar or how the sound bar is interpreting it.

Either way, try plugging the sound bar into the TV's headphone jack and see if that doesn't sort out the problem.
post #39 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Then something must be going wrong with how the XBox is sending the multi-channel signal to the sound bar or how the sound bar is interpreting it.

Either way, try plugging the sound bar into the TV's headphone jack and see if that doesn't sort out the problem.
Whats a decent blu-ray player to buy to test if my xbox is the issue, worst case its no better and I return it best case it works and i take back the xbox. I'm only using the xbox for the blu-ray i dont really play games on it. Need a blu-ray that can do 4K HDR
post #40 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:

Movie soundtracks have very wide dynamic range and your complaint is not uncommon; the soft stuff is too soft and the loud stuff is too loud. DRC can help, but your soundbar may not implement it as well as an AVR.

In looking at your soundbar's manual the 'Audio DRC' settings info is ambiguous, IMO. It says to turn it ON to hear the soundtrack as the engineer intended but that OFF applies no DRC. That makes no sense. The engineer intended you to NOT use DRC.

What other soundfield settings are you applying? As someone pointed out, sometimes the surround effects settings on TVs and soundbars can actually make dialog intelligibility worse.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #41 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 03:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
He said he configured the Xbox to output stereo (I assume 2 channel PCM). I suggested trying the native multichannel track and letting the soundbar do the mixdown. OP said he had tried everything and seems pretty knowledgeable about his gear.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #42 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
He said he configured the Xbox to output stereo (I assume 2 channel PCM). I suggested trying the native multichannel track and letting the soundbar do the mixdown. OP said he had tried everything and seems pretty knowledgeable about his gear.
I just plugged the xbox directly into the TV and the same issue is there however the TV does seem to be a tad bit better but not by much. I'm almost thinking my xbox is a piece of ****. I've been testing the playback on Star Trek Into Darkness where the audio issue has been most noticeable. I decided to try Avatar. I watched the Avatar movie earlier on this TV but was pretty tired and kept dozing off so audio wise I wasn't paying much attention. I will say this after testing it again tonight forget the audio its now stuck in Soap Opera mode and it wasn't before. My TV is a Sony XBR55X900E. For movies to keep playback for 24p (all movies are in 24 frames per second) I've had the TV set to Cinema Home and the motion set to True Cinema for Motion Flow and set to High for Cinemotion. A quick google search will show this to be the recommended settings for watching movies with no Soap Opera effect. However Avatar looks like crap with Soap Opera mode going on. I pop in Star Trek into Darkness with the same settings, no soap opera mode.

I will say this after 9 days of screwing with TV, soundbar, and xbox settings I don't even want to watch it anymore.

Just as an FYI i did a factory reset on the TV, Soundbar, and Xbox. Factory reset didn't fix my sound issues or this new soap opera mode for Avatar.

Last edited by trinitynzxt; 07-12-2017 at 03:32 AM.
post #43 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
Yeah but I don't have 100% confidence that if you set the XBox to stereo somewhere in the menu hierarchy, that that setting will apply to e.g. Blu-Ray playback. I don't have an XBox myself but I've seen friends futz with these menus and the whole thing seems pretty complicated.

Since the soundbar is 2.1, I assume that feeding it just the regular stereo signal is going to sound better than anything else. I know all these soundbars have modes and do processing to simulate surround sound and mix everything themselves but ultimately it seems like 2.0 channel input MUST result in the best 2.0/2.1 channel output...
post #44 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just plugged the xbox directly into the TV and the same issue is there however the TV does seem to be a tad bit better but not by much. I'm almost thinking my xbox is a piece of ****. I've been testing the playback on Star Trek Into Darkness where the audio issue has been most noticeable. ...
If the problem is mainly with one scene in one movie, it's possible (probable?) that that specific scene just wasn't mixed very well.
post #45 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 2920
With the additional $250, get these JBL Arena B17 bookshelf speakers + JBL Arena C25 Black Center Channel Speaker. should be better than anything from BB at this price.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-B17...shelf+speakers

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-C25...ords=JBL+Arena
From BB, Denon AVRS530BT
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Arena-C25...ords=JBL+Arena
BIC America - Formula 12
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bic-amer...?skuId=4235056
You'll have a pretty good system for < $750.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #46 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the problem is mainly with one scene in one movie, it's possible (probable?) that that specific scene just wasn't mixed very well.
That could very well be the case and I'm going to try a few more blu-rays to check it out but that may be more of a movie issue im thinking than a settings issue. As far as the sound goes I still would like a solution that has a Left / Right / Center option which is why I was looking at 3.1 soundbars before making this thread and getting talked into AVR + speakers. For what I'm looking for I still wonder if a soundbar that has 3.1 or 5.1 built in would be a good solution as I'm really not expecting IMAX Dolby Atmos quality from it as much as just wanting to be able to hear the dialog as well as the action scenes. I am curious if the xbox just isn't worth it and maybe get a stand alone blu-ray player as I honestly after messing around with the xbox don't like the fact that its got a lot of game stuff with it and the blu-ray player program itself is considered an "App" so now I have to look and see what I can get for a reasonable price (xbox was $250) that would do as good a job or hopefully better than the xbox that might make setup a tad bit easier as well.
post #47 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That could very well be the case and I'm going to try a few more blu-rays to check it out but that may be more of a movie issue im thinking than a settings issue. As far as the sound goes I still would like a solution that has a Left / Right / Center option which is why I was looking at 3.1 soundbars before making this thread and getting talked into AVR + speakers. For what I'm looking for I still wonder if a soundbar that has 3.1 or 5.1 built in would be a good solution as I'm really not expecting IMAX Dolby Atmos quality from it as much as just wanting to be able to hear the dialog as well as the action scenes. I am curious if the xbox just isn't worth it and maybe get a stand alone blu-ray player as I honestly after messing around with the xbox don't like the fact that its got a lot of game stuff with it and the blu-ray player program itself is considered an "App" so now I have to look and see what I can get for a reasonable price (xbox was $250) that would do as good a job or hopefully better than the xbox that might make setup a tad bit easier as well.
If you're only using the Xbox as a DVD player, a stand alone DVD player will be a better option. You could hook up an HDMI cable from your PC to the TV for Netflix and other apps you may need for streaming.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216 THX, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #48 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you're only using the Xbox as a DVD player, a stand alone DVD player will be a better option. You could hook up an HDMI cable from your PC to the TV for Netflix and other apps you may need for streaming.
My TV Sony Bravia XBR55X900E has netflix, hulu, pandora ect

Any recommendations on a blu-ray player that doesnt suck and can do 4k HDR-10 and posibly dolby vision
post #49 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
After a quick read through this thread, I would second many opinions to ditch going to BestBuy as your only place to purchase speakers (TVs and audio components are one thing). I'd also return the soundbar for a more traditional set up. Lastly, if you hardly play any video games... there are better 4K players with streaming that will suit your needs for far less.

For starters, I'd get this receiver from A4L. A lot of folks have purchased from them, myself included, great customer service and buying AVR's brand new has never made much sense to me. Take the savings here.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html
^ This will do your 4K pass through, meet all the current HDCP and HDMI standards... Atmos, DTS:X, etc etc.. If you think you'd want to play louder, maybe spring the extra $30 and get the S920W. After shipping your at $270 here.

If you really wont play any video games, I'd return the Xbox and grab one of these 4K players. I've got the same one and have really enjoyed it to date:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UBD-K.../dp/B01A9V6OI6
^ that'll set you back $200 (but would end up being a wash with the return of the Xbox). Has the streaming apps (though your TV does too) but I feel like it has great picture quality for all kinds of movies (4K, Bluray, regular).

I'd then personally suggest you get a pair of Chane A1.4 bookshelf speakers for L/R and the Chane A2.4 center. The center, as you know now, is by the far the most important piece in a HT set up. Many folks here, including myself, have found it to be really robust. You'll also get plenty of low end out of this front 3 until you can save up and afford to get yourself a sub.
https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/lou...e-loudspeakers
^For the pair of speakers and center, it would run you $569 plus shipping. I'd also recommend dropping a line to Chane's email and reach out to the owner @Jon Lane as perhaps he has some B-stock or a shipping deal going on.

So if you return the Xbox and get the 4K player, you'd pocket yourself a savings of about $50. The AVR and speaker combo I've recommend would come in at $839. Subtract the $50 savings from the Xbox return and your at $789. Slightly above your initial $750 budget, but I think you'd find it a really great system.

I'd also recommend reading threads like this one here to give yourself an idea of other speakers and their performance. This thread in particular is a wealth of knowledge and good contributors for budget speakers.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...winner-17.html

Happy hunting and good luck-
post #50 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Any recommendations on a blu-ray player that doesnt suck and can do 4k HDR-10 and posibly dolby vision
If you want high end.
https://www.amazon.com/OPPO-UDP-203-...&keywords=oppo
More budget friendly
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UBD-M...blu+ray+player
There are cheaper options but you did specifically say you want one that doesn't suck.
If you absolutely need dolby vision, most likely won't be cheap.

post #51 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want high end.
https://www.amazon.com/OPPO-UDP-203-...&keywords=oppo
More budget friendly
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UBD-M...blu+ray+player
There are cheaper options but you did specifically say you want one that doesn't suck.
If you absolutely need dolby vision, most likely won't be cheap.
I read online that the samsung has issues when not being used with a samsung tv (Judder problems especially when being used with a Sony TV).
http://www.techhive.com/article/3139...ay-player.html
post #52 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Sony 3700 Bluray player
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-bdp...?skuId=4743301

----------------
Who AM I
post #53 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Quote:
I read online that the samsung has issues when not being used with a samsung tv (Judder problems especially when being used with a Sony TV).
http://www.techhive.com/article/3139...ay-player.html
I am using a Samsung player and it is doing fine/good with my Sony TV

I posted a link for a 3700 Sony Bluray player in my above post -- their Bluray players are nice

----------------
Who AM I
post #54 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will say this after 9 days of screwing with TV, soundbar, and xbox settings I don't even want to watch it anymore.

Just as an FYI i did a factory reset on the TV, Soundbar, and Xbox. Factory reset didn't fix my sound issues or this new soap opera mode for Avatar.
Weird, as a factory reset should undo the soap opera mode. Does it occur just in Avatar or for regular TV watching too?

On my samsung it has a soap opera fault, which is thankfully known about... basically if it's turned on, then off, it just likes to stay on. A workaround (basically redoing it over again) can disable it however. Maybe google your tv model and see if such a problem exists for it too, and for fixes. After seeing the soap opera effect I was amazed that any sane person would prefer that mode on ... it's basically 'ruin TV/movies' mode.

A quick check for bluray players, and Sony has a 4K/HDR model, but it's like $270. I guess one test you could do is simply buy a 4K player from BB, test it at home, then return if you don't like it.

But I'll say again that it's probably a waste of time to kill yourself trying to get the soundbar to work better. A pair of speakers, in stereo, with the simplest of AVRs, will sound better than a soundbar. So I don't see why you should waste your time fiddling with settings and trying to improve what is inferior to begin with. The advantage to soundbars are they are supposed to be simple ... if yours isn't simple, and sound isn't the greatest, just return it.
post #55 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:

I think that none of the standalone UHD players on the market suck for HDR10. I have used a Samsung UBD-8500K, a Philips BDP7501, and a Sony UBP-X800. The Sony is the one I am currently using. I haven't seen a Panasonic DMP-UB900. (It's a lot more expensive, and includes multichannel audio outputs, maybe wanted by audiophiles.)

The Sony had problems with some Fox BluRay disks, but that has been fixed by a firmware update. The Samsung was the one that seemed flimsiest. The Philips was compact, but only had a few apps (not that I cared). The Sony is the heaviest, and its mechanics are fairly quiet.

If you insist on Dolby Vision, I think that the Oppo 203 may be your only choice at the moment. The LG UP970 has been promised a DV firmware upgrade, but I don't know whether it's out yet.
post #56 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9333 Post(s)
Liked: 6421
I don't see a satisfactory answer at Best Buy for the Budget when you start including a Blu Ray player to be honest.

Geoff A. J., California
post #57 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow, there's no way to get you off this center channel fixation huh?

The only reason center channels exist at all is because, with surround sound, you're supposed to place the left and right front speakers as far apart as reasonably possible in order to maximize the stereo effects. So of course it's going to be a challenge for a setup like that to make it seem like sound is coming out of the TV (and thus the actors' mouths) when the speakers are physically so far away from the TV.

But if you have a sound bar, or you put your stereo speakers right next to your TV, there's no struggle, because the speakers are as physically close to the TV as possible. In fact, they're exactly as close as a center channel would be. (Unless you plan on putting your center channel directly in front of your TV, blocking the image?)

In fact, if you put stereo speakers alongside your TV, I think it's easy to make an argument that this is BETTER than having a center channel speaker under your TV:
1) If your center channel is pretty close to the floor, and you have hardwood floors, you might have problems with early reflections off the floor.
2) You have to have line-of-sight to the center channel's tweeter, which can sometimes be inconvenient if you want to put a coffee table or something in your room. No such problem with stereo speakers.
3) Stereo speakers at least have a chance of producing a convincing illusion that sound is coming out of the middle of your TV. No such luck with a center channel, unless you have two center channel speakers, one above your TV and one below it.

In all honesty, I struggle to understand what anybody thinks they might gain by having a center channel, if their left and right front speakers are only a few feet apart. (??)
post #58 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I don't see a satisfactory answer at Best Buy for the Budget when you start including a Blu Ray player to be honest.
I think he's keeping the sound bar. Now he's looking for a blu-ray player to replace the X-box because it doesn't have dolby true HD or DTS master audio which likely won't really make much difference through a sound bar.

I'm not sure what the plan is at this point.
jeff2 and gajCA like this.

post #59 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think he's keeping the sound bar. Now he's looking for a blu-ray player to replace the X-box because it doesn't have dolby true HD or DTS master audio which likely won't really make much difference through a sound bar.

I'm not sure what the plan is at this point.
The plan should be to go back to Best Buy, get the Sony AV receiver that's on sale for $200 right now, get a pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers for $150, get some speaker stands and speaker cables from Amazon, skip the center channel, skip the subwoofer for now, and enjoy some good sound.
post #60 of 104 Old 07-12-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9333 Post(s)
Liked: 6421
Quote:
The plan should be to go back to Best Buy, get the Sony AV receiver that's on sale for $200 right now, get a pair of Sony Core bookshelf speakers for $150, get some speaker stands and speaker cables from Amazon, skip the center channel, skip the subwoofer for now, and enjoy some good sound.
That does sound like a good idea.

Haven't read the whole thread, was it just his current BluRay with poor sound or cable TV too?

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page