Speaker Suggestions - Room Size/Info Inside..... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 07-17-2017, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Consider an AVR from Denon/Marantz instead (better room correction).
Can you expand on that a little? Everything I've read suggests the Yamaha's are a fantastic value and very reliable. I have heard good things about the Marantz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 07-17-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7384 Post(s)
Liked: 6461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Everything I've read suggests the Yamaha's are a fantastic value and very reliable.
They are, but the Audyssey room correction system in D&M products does a really good job of cleaning up peaks & dips (especially in the low frequencies, where it counts). Plus, Audyssey recently introduced a $20 app that you can download to a tablet that allows you to shape the overall frequency response to your personal preference.

Sanjay
post #33 of 42 Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
I totally understand. I have a 65 inch Panny Plasma from 2012, that I'll be hanging onto for a period of time.

I am 90% sure that I'll only be using a TV of some sort for display, not a projector. The screen will probably never exceed 75 inches. I'm considering getting a Yamaha 3070 to use (when they're more widely available) as an AVR.

That makes total sense. In the long run would I be better served with the bookshelf speakers?.....
You really have a considerable amount of money for a 5.2 speaker system. I'm going to assume 2 Subwoofer, as that is what most people recommend today. It provides more uniform coverage in the room, and at $6k to $7k, you can certainly afford it.

If we trim $1000 for two Subs from the lowest budget, at is about $5,000 for the remaining 5.0. I'm going to guess, $2000 to $2500 for the front speakers, which is substantial, about $500 to $1000 for the single Center Speaker, and about $500 each for the Surround, though that is just off the top of my head. The total would be from $3500 to $4500, then an additional $1000 for a pair of Subs, taking the new total to $4500 to $5500. That give you some perspective on the range of speakers you should be looking for. And in that range I would expect very good speakers. Also keep in mind that above are hypothetical speakers, when it comes to actual Brand and Models, the numbers and proportions will change. But this is just for perspective.

You can check on the price of Acoustic Panels and Diffusers, generally the are on the high side, but you can find many YouTube videos on how to make your own, it is not that difficult if you have a space to work, are reasonably handy, and have some basic tools. If nothing else, the Videos will give you some sense of what is involved in an Acoustic Panel.

EDITED: I think that room might be big enough for a second row of raised (tiered) seating, though it is going to be tight.

If we assume that a 75" TV is 72" wide (for easy math) that mean you have additional 7 ft outside the TV, or about 3.5 feet on each side. With bookshelf speakers that should be very workable, though small Floorstanding are certainly possible.

I'll have to give some thought to actual speakers, and get back to you later, but for now, you have a general perspective to work from.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-18-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 07-17-2017, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
You really have a considerable amount of money for a 5.2 speaker system. I'm going to assume 2 Subwoofer, as that is what most people recommend today. It provides more uniform coverage in the room, and at $6k to $7k, you can certainly afford it.

If we trim $1000 for two Subs from the lowest budget, at is about $6,000 for the remaining 5.0. I'm going to guess, $2000 to $2500 for the front speakers, which is substantial, about $500 to $1000 for the single Center Speaker, and about $500 each for the Surround, though that is just off the top of my head. The total would be from $3500 to $4500, then an additional $1000 for a pair of Subs, taking the new total to $4500 to $5500. That give you some perspective on the range of speakers you should be looking for. And in that range I would expect very good speakers. Also keep in mind that above are hypothetical speakers, when it comes to actual Brand and Models, the numbers and proportions will change. But this is just for perspective.

You can check on the price of Acoustic Panels and Diffusers, generally the are on the high side, but you can find many YouTube videos on how to make your own, it is not that difficult if you have a space to work, are reasonably handy, and have some basic tools. If nothing else, the Videos will give you some sense of what is involved in an Acoustic Panel.

EDITED: I think that room might be big enough for a second row of raised (tiered) seating, though it is going to be tight.

If we assume that a 75" TV is 72" wide (for easy math) that mean you have additional 7 ft outside the TV, or about 3.5 feet on each side. With bookshelf speakers that should be very workable, though small Floorstanding are certainly possible.

I'll have to give some thought to actual speakers, and get back to you later, but for now, you have a general perspective to work from.

Steve/bluewizard
Thanks Steve! I've been giving a good thought to PSA speakers, which have been heavily suggested in this thread along with HSU. I'm diving into PSA reviews now.
post #35 of 42 Old 07-18-2017, 02:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 65
With that kind of budget, I'd be waiting for Chane's new L7 to drop, supposed to be a nice step up from their current line, which already compares favorably to the Ultra's, at half the price. Supposed to be pretty, too
post #36 of 42 Old 07-18-2017, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You've gotten a lot of good recommendations from some knowledgeable folks thus far and I echo much of the sentiment around PSA, HSU, and Chane - all solid companies that offer great products and customer service. I also have a preference towards Denon and Marantz receivers with Audyssey, it just plain old seems to be the best room correction software out there today. As a point of reference, they are both owned by the same parent company with Marantz being the 'luxury' line so to speak. Given your room dimensions of 13x18x10 you've got about 2340 cubic feet of space to work with, which is not a hard sized room to fill up with brilliant sound and earth shaking bass. I'm thinking a 5.2 set up would be great to start and agree that bookshelves are probably the best with your space. With that, I'd offer up the following suggestions:

Receiver: Grab yourself a Marantz SR5011 (7.2 capability) or it's bigger brother the SR6011 (9.2 capabilitity) if you really think you'd ever go up to 9 channels. Personally I think the SR5011 would be plenty for your room. The Denon equivalents would probably be the X3300 or the X4300. I'd strongly suggest you purchase the receiver from Accessories4less. It just doesn't make sense to pay full retail for a receiver, when there are gently used factory refurbished models out there. I bought mine there (as have many others here) and I honestly wouldn't have known it was a refurb ahead of time when it showed up. Great customer service.
http://www.accessories4less.com/

Speakers: With your budget I'd offer up 3 different choices, at different price points, and I think you'd be mighty happy with any of them.

A) PSA: Four MT-110's to serve L/R and Surround duty. Couple that with a heavier duty MTM-210C for a center channel. The center is the most important piece of any HT system performing 80%+ of the work, so that's why I like to step it up there. High sensitivity speakers- will hit reference for you without breaking a sweat. This comes at a cost of $3574.95 before shipping.

B) Chane: Here I think you'd be a great candidate for five A2.4's all around. Rotate one of the tweeters to serve as your center channel and the remaining four as your L/R and surrounds. Sensitivity is a bit lower, but with the aforementioned receivers, you can get them plenty loud. Don't mistake their lower cost as inferior speakers- I mean these puppies can play! Total cost for the five speakers is $1345 before shipping.

C) HSU: Grab yourself four HB1-MK2 bookshelves and a single HC1-MK2 for center channel duty. Again, little lower on the sensitivity side- but will still have the impact you want. *I haven't heard these, though they are supposed to be great. You may consider stepping up to their CCB series, others here could better describe the differences between the two lines. For the MK2's you're looking at $885 before shipping.

Subwoofers: With your sized room, I think doing 18s would be totally awesome- but I also think it would be a little overkill, as you'd never use all the headroom (or maybe you would ). With that said, I'd recommend two ported 15s and I'd go with PSA or HSU. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either company or their products.

PSA: Snag two V1500's, maybe place one nearfield. Two of these would provide enough power to not just shake your butt in your couch, but the walls of your room. $2199.98 before shipping. *Look for B-stock!

HSU: With these guys I'd go with two of the VTF3- MK5 HPs. They'll hit all the lows and provide equally strong depth as the PSAs. $1598 before shipping.

Any combination of the above keeps you at or under your budget and they'd all perform admirably. There are some deals to be had with HSU as well, doing package combinations, that I did not list out here. As others have said too- I'd recommend reaching out to the owners of these companies, who really float around here at AVS and give honest, non-biased advice to their products and competitors-- Tom V (PSA), Jon Lane (Chane), and unfortunately the gentleman from HSU is escaping me, but I think it's Mike? Anyhoo, happing hunting! Let us know how you make out!
sigpig likes this.
post #37 of 42 Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNewGuy View Post
You've gotten a lot of good recommendations from some knowledgeable folks thus far and I echo much of the sentiment around PSA, HSU, and Chane - all solid companies that offer great products and customer service. I also have a preference towards Denon and Marantz receivers with Audyssey, it just plain old seems to be the best room correction software out there today. As a point of reference, they are both owned by the same parent company with Marantz being the 'luxury' line so to speak. Given your room dimensions of 13x18x10 you've got about 2340 cubic feet of space to work with, which is not a hard sized room to fill up with brilliant sound and earth shaking bass. I'm thinking a 5.2 set up would be great to start and agree that bookshelves are probably the best with your space. With that, I'd offer up the following suggestions:

Receiver: Grab yourself a Marantz SR5011 (7.2 capability) or it's bigger brother the SR6011 (9.2 capabilitity) if you really think you'd ever go up to 9 channels. Personally I think the SR5011 would be plenty for your room. The Denon equivalents would probably be the X3300 or the X4300. I'd strongly suggest you purchase the receiver from Accessories4less. It just doesn't make sense to pay full retail for a receiver, when there are gently used factory refurbished models out there. I bought mine there (as have many others here) and I honestly wouldn't have known it was a refurb ahead of time when it showed up. Great customer service.
http://www.accessories4less.com/

Speakers: With your budget I'd offer up 3 different choices, at different price points, and I think you'd be mighty happy with any of them.

A) PSA: Four MT-110's to serve L/R and Surround duty. Couple that with a heavier duty MTM-210C for a center channel. The center is the most important piece of any HT system performing 80%+ of the work, so that's why I like to step it up there. High sensitivity speakers- will hit reference for you without breaking a sweat. This comes at a cost of $3574.95 before shipping.

B) Chane: Here I think you'd be a great candidate for five A2.4's all around. Rotate one of the tweeters to serve as your center channel and the remaining four as your L/R and surrounds. Sensitivity is a bit lower, but with the aforementioned receivers, you can get them plenty loud. Don't mistake their lower cost as inferior speakers- I mean these puppies can play! Total cost for the five speakers is $1345 before shipping.

C) HSU: Grab yourself four HB1-MK2 bookshelves and a single HC1-MK2 for center channel duty. Again, little lower on the sensitivity side- but will still have the impact you want. *I haven't heard these, though they are supposed to be great. You may consider stepping up to their CCB series, others here could better describe the differences between the two lines. For the MK2's you're looking at $885 before shipping.

Subwoofers: With your sized room, I think doing 18s would be totally awesome- but I also think it would be a little overkill, as you'd never use all the headroom (or maybe you would ). With that said, I'd recommend two ported 15s and I'd go with PSA or HSU. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either company or their products.

PSA: Snag two V1500's, maybe place one nearfield. Two of these would provide enough power to not just shake your butt in your couch, but the walls of your room. $2199.98 before shipping. *Look for B-stock!

HSU: With these guys I'd go with two of the VTF3- MK5 HPs. They'll hit all the lows and provide equally strong depth as the PSAs. $1598 before shipping.

Any combination of the above keeps you at or under your budget and they'd all perform admirably. There are some deals to be had with HSU as well, doing package combinations, that I did not list out here. As others have said too- I'd recommend reaching out to the owners of these companies, who really float around here at AVS and give honest, non-biased advice to their products and competitors-- Tom V (PSA), Jon Lane (Chane), and unfortunately the gentleman from HSU is escaping me, but I think it's Mike? Anyhoo, happing hunting! Let us know how you make out!
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! This is great info to have, and a good place to start. I am certainly leaving towards PSA in the sub department, and going dual sub. I'm going to go dual 18's, but I'm torn between going with the sealed or vented enclosures. Basically I don't know if I want two V1801's or two S1801's.

Or, for around $400 more, I could go two S3000i's. That would be 4 15's, sealed.

Any thoughts on that?
post #38 of 42 Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@ScottieBoysName -- I'm glad, I hope that helps some! For subs, there's tons of different research that you can do on the ported vs sealed debate and really it just comes down to a matter of personal preference. In it's most basic form my understanding is that sealed subwoofers will play lower, but with less output. Ported subwoofers on the other hand, may not dig as low (we're picking hairs here) but will provide much greater output. It's widely recommend that for rooms strictly dedicated to home theater, ported subs are the way to go, to give you that extra extension and output during explosions, gun fights, etc. It's not to say sealed subs are bad for home theater, just that you will generally need more sealed subs to hit the same level of output that ported subs put out. Another factor that (can be) big in folks sub quest is the opinion of your significant other lol- as ported subs are bigger and generally not as 'sexy' as their sealed counterparts.

See a couple of links here below that should be a good starting point.. also doing a quick ported vs sealed sub search on google will provide more info than any of us need

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...ted-subwoofers
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ubwoofers.html
post #39 of 42 Old 07-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9387 Post(s)
Liked: 6469
Quote:
Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! This is great info to have, and a good place to start. I am certainly leaving towards PSA in the sub department, and going dual sub. I'm going to go dual 18's, but I'm torn between going with the sealed or vented enclosures. Basically I don't know if I want two V1801's or two S1801's.

Or, for around $400 more, I could go two S3000i's. That would be 4 15's, sealed.

Any thoughts on that?
I'd talk to whoever you are buying from as they will steer you correctly.

Another speaker option from HSU are using three of these for your fronts:

Can be mounted horizontally or vertically with two 6.5" drivers per cabinet; very reasonable pricing.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hc-1.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #40 of 42 Old 07-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 158
It's likely better for you to get two subs to get a more accurate response. You wouldn't need dual PB16s for your room size. Dual 15Vs from PSA, which is what I have, will rock your world for $2k shipped.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #41 of 42 Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks everyone! You've all been awesome with all of this information. I really appreciate it!
post #42 of 42 Old 07-20-2017, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9387 Post(s)
Liked: 6469
Quote:
Thanks everyone! You've all been awesome with all of this information. I really appreciate it!
Let us know what you end up with and most important of all, you impressions once all is up and running.

You're going to be surprised how little of the volume control you will be using in that tiny room.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page