Atmos Setup Question (RSL C34E) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Atmos Setup Question (RSL C34E)

I have a question about the Atmos (ceiling) speakers. The RSL C34Es do not fire straight down - they are angled. We installed all 4 of them yesterday and right now they are all firing directly towards the back of my theater room (there are two speakers in the ceiling a little in front and a little to the side of where the seats will be for each of the two rows of seats - so 4 ceiling speakers total). If we twist the speakers and angle them towards the seats we can have them fire towards the seats instead of straight back. Is this advisable? Does it matter?

Here's a 30 second clip to show you what I mean. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1007 Post(s)
Liked: 788
I have same 4 speakers in 5.1.4 set-up; and yes, I twisted them a bit to point towards our MLP area; can also adjust the tweeter if need be. Good luck !

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #3 of 47 Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I have same 4 speakers in 5.1.4 set-up; and yes, I twisted them a bit to point towards our MLP area; can also adjust the tweeter if need be. Good luck !
Same here. I emailed RSL to confirm that this was the correct setup -- will let you know when I hear back.

I really like them, btw...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 08-09-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Confirmed w RSL. Angle at MLP. Here's a shot of mine when viewed from middle seat on the couch. They sound awesome, btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1955_1502333282570.JPG
Views:	1621
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	2265476  
post #5 of 47 Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I just installed my 4 last night and angled them towards the theater seating as well. @yanks1 has been a great reference for these speakers. I just got them from the summer preorder. I haven't listened to them yet really though. I can't wait.
yanks1 likes this.
post #6 of 47 Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am about to finish up my HT room and had a question regarding placement of the C34E's. I have 2 rows of seating and given that I have 2 pairs of C34E's and since they are angled already, I am trying to figuring out where to place them and the direction to point them at. I would really appreciate some help here.
post #7 of 47 Old 10-22-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Best bet Read Dolby Atmos white paper & diagrams available at Dolby website
darthray likes this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 500NC 2 channel amp

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #8 of 47 Old 10-22-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Best bet Read Dolby Atmos white paper & diagrams available at Dolby website
Thanks - I have read through them once (quickly), but since the C34E's are angled, I am a bit unclear how to point them. I am planning on placing them in-line with FR and FL, but what I am unclear about is the distance of the 1st in-ceiling pair from the 1st row and where to place the 2nd row of speakers. Should I optimize both pairs for the MLP (middle of the 1st row) or have each pair of speakers focus on each row of seats?
post #9 of 47 Old 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Atmos Setup Question (RSL C34E)

Agree on in line with front speakers;

I would think the front pair should be few feet in front of both rows; 2nd pair s/b behind both rows so put them slightly behind rear row so not too far from front row.

I hope this works; I have 4 RSL C34e's also but only one MLP so no issue on set-up. I angled them towards our MLP

Good luck!!

post #10 of 47 Old 10-22-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2050 Post(s)
Liked: 2903
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_jaguar View Post
Thanks - I have read through them once (quickly), but since the C34E's are angled, I am a bit unclear how to point them. I am planning on placing them in-line with FR and FL, but what I am unclear about is the distance of the 1st in-ceiling pair from the 1st row and where to place the 2nd row of speakers. Should I optimize both pairs for the MLP (middle of the 1st row) or have each pair of speakers focus on each row of seats?

All angle toward Your MLP, been either the first or second row.
Call the other row, the "peanut gallery".
Since you can't do all row perfect, do your listening spot perfect, the other still will be good enough for guess.
If you really want to impress someone, that come watch a movie for the first time, give them your spot for a one time viewing.
This is what I do, and my second row have been use less than 5 time in 12 years

Ray
post #11 of 47 Old 10-22-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Agree on in line with front speakers;

I would think the front pair should be few feet in front of both rows; 2nd pair s/b behind both rows so put them slightly behind rear row so not too far from front row.

I hope this works; I have 4 RSL C34e's also but only one MLP so no issue on set-up. I angled them towards our MLP

Good luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
All angle toward Your MLP, been either the first or second row.
Call the other row, the "peanut gallery".
Since you can't do all row perfect, do your listening spot perfect, the other still will be good enough for guess.
If you really want to impress someone, that come watch a movie for the first time, give them your spot for a one time viewing.
This is what I do, and my second row have been use less than 5 time in 12 years

Ray
Thanks much for the suggestions. I will see if I can try both positions for the 2nd pair of C34E's and see which one works best, but yes, I will likely optimize for the MLP given that the 1st row of seats will be used most of the time.

Any thoughts on placement of the side surrounds and rear surrounds for my setup?

Room size: 14 x 22 x 8.5
First row: ~12 to 13 feet from screen (~3/5th length of room from the screen)
Second row: ~16 to 17 feet from screen (on a raised platform of 1 foot height)

MLP will be the middle of the 1st row. The back row will likely be overfill. I might end up getting a few beanies in front of the 1st row if there are a larger group of folks.

It will be a 7.1.4 system to start with (based on my sub's performance JBL 560P, I might end up adding another sub later).
Side surrounds: I am thinking of either lining them up with the 1st row or slightly behind (RSL CG3) about a foot above ear level (4.5 to 5 feet) - would this be the ideal location to place them?
Rear surrounds: Unclear as to where to place them - please advise.
post #12 of 47 Old 10-23-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks much for the suggestions. I will see if I can try both positions for the 2nd pair of C34E's and see which one works best, but yes, I will likely optimize for the MLP given that the 1st row of seats will be used most of the time.

Any thoughts on placement of the side surrounds and rear surrounds for my setup?

Room size: 14 x 22 x 8.5
First row: ~12 to 13 feet from screen (~3/5th length of room from the screen)
Second row: ~16 to 17 feet from screen (on a raised platform of 1 foot height)

MLP will be the middle of the 1st row. The back row will likely be overfill. I might end up getting a few beanies in front of the 1st row if there are a larger group of folks.

It will be a 7.1.4 system to start with (based on my sub's performance JBL 560P, I might end up adding another sub later).
Side surrounds: I am thinking of either lining them up with the 1st row or slightly behind (RSL CG3) about a foot above ear level (4.5 to 5 feet) - would this be the ideal location to place them?
Rear surrounds: Unclear as to where to place them - please advise.

Download this pdf file from the link provided, then click open and print it if needed
[PDF]Dolby Atmos® Home Theater Installation ... - Dolby Laboratories

All scenario are in this file, but cover the MLP.

From there you have two choices;
-do everything for your 7.1.4 system as per those instructions for your MLP, or
-do as 7.1.2 system for your first row, and follow the same principal for the second row (another .2 for the second row [both first and second row would have the atmos to their side]), it might work or not, just a shot in the dark.
For the surrounds, too many option.

Personally, I would go with the first option.
Do it for yourself first!
You are the one into it, and it is very difficult to make a whole room good to perfect.

Ray
the_jaguar likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 10-23-2017 at 07:13 PM.
post #13 of 47 Old 10-23-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Download this pdf file from the link provided, then click open and print it if needed
[PDF]Dolby Atmos® Home Theater Installation ... - Dolby Laboratories

All scenario are in this file, but cover the MLP.

From there you have two choices;
-do everything for your 7.1.4 system as per those instructions for your MLP, or
-do as 7.1.2 system for your first row, and follow the same principal for the second row (another .2 for the second row [both first and second row would have the atmos to their side]), it might work or not, just a shot in the dark.
For the surrounds, too many option.

Personally, I would go with the first option.
Do it for yourself first!
You are the one into it, and it is very difficult to make a whole room good to perfect.

Ray
This is very helpful - thanks! I will likely optimize for the MLP and see how I like it. Given that the 1st row will be used extensively, this will be the primary area of focus, but I am hoping the 2nd row doesn't suffer too much due to this.
yanks1 likes this.
post #14 of 47 Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is very helpful - thanks! I will likely optimize for the MLP and see how I like it. Given that the 1st row will be used extensively, this will be the primary area of focus, but I am hoping the 2nd row doesn't suffer too much due to this.

Glad to be of some help

Honestly, even it will suffer some, most people are not too picky when it come to sound.
From experience, they are just Happy with a big picture and a loud clean sound, and do not pay attention to the details.
The ones sitting near the center of the back row, are still going to walk away Very Impress.

Ray
the_jaguar likes this.
post #15 of 47 Old 10-24-2017, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I'd say 2-4 feet in front of the seating. This will wiggle based where the floor joist fall and if there are can lights to work around.

The Dolby guide posted is excellent I'd also assume that RSL has some documentation available too.

So far these guys have been pretty spot on with the advice.
the_jaguar likes this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #16 of 47 Old 10-31-2017, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
I'd say 2-4 feet in front of the seating. This will wiggle based where the floor joist fall and if there are can lights to work around.

The Dolby guide posted is excellent I'd also assume that RSL has some documentation available too.

So far these guys have been pretty spot on with the advice.
It actually depends on ceiling height because we are dealing with angles and not distance. My ears are about 54" from the 8 foot ceiling. If I want to use a Dolby recommendation of 45 degrees, then the spot on the ceiling should be 54" in front of the MLP (but lined up with the L or R speaker). On the other hand, if my ceiling is 10 feet, then my ears would be about 78" from the ceiling and the speakers should be 78" in front of the MLP to have the same 45 degree angle. If I am interested in something more or less than 45 degrees but within the Dolby guidelines, then I adjust accordingly.

In my case and as you suggested, I had to move mine a few inches to deal with the ceiling joists!!

LOVE the RSL's and don't know how they build, sell and ship for this price.

Last edited by audioguy; 10-31-2017 at 07:39 AM.
post #17 of 47 Old 01-21-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 78
anyone build sound proof backer boxes for these? If so would you please share the dimensions you used? Thanks!!

post #18 of 47 Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
anyone build sound proof backer boxes for these? If so would you please share the dimensions you used? Thanks!!
are they required?

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Sony UBP-X800 4K ~ Emptek E55ti ~ E56ci ~ E55wi ~ R5bi ~ 2x Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series ~ Vizio xled 70" class 4k
post #19 of 47 Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
are they required?

They aren’t required for the speaker however I’m in construction for a soundproof room and to keep the room soundproofed they are required.

I see your in Fremont, I’m up there occasionally as I’m in the beer biz. Ever go to Timeout Tavern?

post #20 of 47 Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They aren’t required for the speaker however I’m in construction for a soundproof room and to keep the room soundproofed they are required.

I see your in Fremont, I’m up there occasionally as I’m in the beer biz. Ever go to Timeout Tavern?
never been. pass by it all the time but now i moved to Monclova which is on the outskirts of Toledo. i just realized why you need the backer boxes and it looks like i'll need to do the same thing too to keep the sound contained. i read somewhere about someone who built backer boxes for the RSL with dimensions and everything including pictures. i'll have to find out which thread that was in. BTW, what speakers are you running with your RSL's?

Pioneer VSX-1121-K ~ Sony UBP-X800 4K ~ Emptek E55ti ~ E56ci ~ E55wi ~ R5bi ~ 2x Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series ~ Vizio xled 70" class 4k
post #21 of 47 Old 01-22-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
never been. pass by it all the time but now i moved to Monclova which is on the outskirts of Toledo. i just realized why you need the backer boxes and it looks like i'll need to do the same thing too to keep the sound contained. i read somewhere about someone who built backer boxes for the RSL with dimensions and everything including pictures. i'll have to find out which thread that was in
It's a cool spot. I'm in Toledo often as well maybe we should have a theater meetup sometime!

If you happen to find that thread please let me know.

Mike

post #22 of 47 Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's a cool spot. I'm in Toledo often as well maybe we should have a theater meetup sometime!

If you happen to find that thread please let me know.

Mike
Will do Mike!

post #23 of 47 Old 03-03-2018, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Stumbled on this thread doing other research and I hope I am not too late to help. Spoke with Roger and he said it is best not to put these in a box. I am in the same situation as you and building a soundproof room (at least as much as possible). That said Roger told me it would be fine to put in a box as long as it was no less than 1 cubic foot. Mine 6 Atmos boxes ended up being 1.3 cubes and my column mounted boxes are over ~3.5 cubes. I have not as yet ran any sound through them but I expect they will be fine.
post #24 of 47 Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've added the RSL C34E to my list now! Thanks so much, i hadn't heard of it before. It looks like one of the few speakers to disclose dispersion measurements, which are important for atmos.
post #25 of 47 Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just installed 4 for Atmos in our room and I've very pleased with how they sound.
post #26 of 47 Old 05-22-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottLikesSurround View Post
I've added the RSL C34E to my list now! Thanks so much, i hadn't heard of it before. It looks like one of the few speakers to disclose dispersion measurements, which are important for atmos.
Just be aware the measurements should have an asterisk because they're extremely smoothed (1/3 octave). The format is also not normally used for speaker measurements.

Lyngdorf MP-50 | Yamaha MX-A5200 | Ascend Sierra Towers | Ascend Sierra Horizon | Ascend Sierra Lunas | Ascend HTM-200SE | SVS SB-13 x4
post #27 of 47 Old 06-13-2018, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does anyone know the exact angle of the baffle/woofers in the RSL C34E? Looks like 45 but just want to be sure. Also would be good to know the range and degrees of rotation of the tweeter. Looks like it might just pivot in one direction.
post #28 of 47 Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwk View Post
Does anyone know the exact angle of the baffle/woofers in the RSL C34E? Looks like 45 but just want to be sure. Also would be good to know the range and degrees of rotation of the tweeter. Looks like it might just pivot in one direction.
15 degrees. They state this in the manual you get with the speaker.
post #29 of 47 Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Is it always best to put atmos ceiling speakers inline with FL and FR? I have a 135inch screen along a ~13ft wall which places the FL and FR towers close to the side walls(less than a ft). Should ceiling speakers be inset some in this case or just put them inline?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ht3.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	2415578  
post #30 of 47 Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I wouldn't worry about being in line with the FL speakers. I have the same exact situation, except I also have a vaulted ceiling, so if I put my atmos speakers in line, they'll only be 6' high.

The goal with the 4 Atmos speakers is to have the sound projected directly at the MLP but with equal height, depth, and width, so 45 degrees from the ceiling and 45 degrees from the wall.

The Dolby page doesn't explain this well. It took me a couple conversations to finally grasp this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page