AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Speaker Upgrade Worth it? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2903681-speaker-upgrade-worth.html)

dermeister00 07-22-2017 05:36 AM

Speaker Upgrade Worth it?

Hi all!!

I have a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup right now, and for the main Left and Right channels I have Pioneers SPFS52 Andrew Jones Speakers.

I have on Layaway with my local audio dealer, a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B6's. My main question would be....before I make this investment... is it worth it? I sure have heard both and theres a difference. But wanted to know the opinion of some of the enthusiasts here in the forums.

Thanks

KB77Hell 07-22-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dermeister00 (Post 54454177)
Hi all!!

I have a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup right now, and for the main Left and Right channels I have Pioneers SPFS52 Andrew Jones Speakers.

I have on Layaway with my local audio dealer, a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B6's. My main question would be....before I make this investment... is it worth it? I sure have heard both and theres a difference. But wanted to know the opinion of some of the enthusiasts here in the forums.

Thanks

My opinion may not be worth much as I'm not an expert nor am I familiar with your Andrew Jones speakers however I have owned a set of Monitor Audio Silver series speakers for about 10 years now and they are superb, even after all this time. Clear, full and great base, I'm very happy with their product.

pase22 07-22-2017 06:40 AM

Quote:

Hi all!!

Thanks

They will be a noticeable upgrade, however going with Monitor bronze 2's and upgrading the sub would have a much greater impact on your listening enjoyment, especially for HT. A set of speakers crossed over to a good sub at 80hz eliminates the need for towers.

Shadowed 07-22-2017 07:19 AM

I agree with others that it should be an all-around improvement.

I also agree with the Bronze 2 with a sub, which you already have, will sound as good as the towers for less money.

The bronze 2 have been winning many awards in their class for design and sound year after year.

See if your dealer will let you try both at your home.

dermeister00 07-22-2017 08:29 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. Ill take this under considerations and see.

I previously had a Polk Audio Sub, and after 5 or 6 years it died. And replaced it with a MA Bronze BX Sub. Combined with MA Radius HD all around.

Then came the interest in building something for ATMOS. At the time I bought this Pioneers towers for a good price. But wanted something at the long run from MA quality.

Why I bought towers?, was more from a safety point. Since my kids accidentally have bumped speaker stands and got me worried. Decided then to buy towers instead which are more solid on the floor.

pase22 07-22-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dermeister00 (Post 54456385)

I previously had a Polk Audio Sub, and after 5 or 6 years it died. And replaced it with a MA Bronze BX Sub. Combined with MA Radius HD all around.

Then came the interest in building something for ATMOS. At the time I bought this Pioneers towers for a good price. But wanted something at the long run from MA quality.

Why I bought towers?, was more from a safety point. Since my kids accidentally have bumped speaker stands and got me worried. Decided then to buy towers instead which are more solid on the floor.

The Bronze 2's are front ported so could easily be wall mounted using brackets. This would keep them out of way and minimize potential disasters.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSTNDW15...er+wall+mounts
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Univers...er+wall+mounts

Bill Fitzmaurice 07-22-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pase22 (Post 54454761)
They will be a noticeable upgrade, however going with Monitor bronze 2's and upgrading the sub would have a much greater impact on your listening enjoyment, especially for HT. A set of speakers crossed over to a good sub at 80hz eliminates the need for towers.

+1. Going to higher quality bookshelves and adding a second sub will give much better results.

Quote:

Bronze 2's are front ported so could easily be wall mounted using brackets
+1. Anything a kid can reach a kid can break. But front porting doesn't matter, as the port output would be well below the crossover frequency anyway.

pase22 07-22-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice (Post 54456825)
+1. Going to higher quality bookshelves and adding a second sub will give much better results.

+1. Anything a kid can reach a kid can break. But front porting doesn't matter, as the port output would be well below the crossover frequency anyway.

Port orientation is irrelevant when crossed over at 80hz, but front ported is still a plus if he wants to listen in 2.0 as I sometimes do for certain genres of music.

gajCA 07-22-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dermeister00 (Post 54456385)

If your use is primarily Home Theater the improvement might be marginal as the heavy lifting is done by the center and sub.

If you listen to music in 2.0 or 2.1 then yes, a definite upgrade.

I now have towers for the reasons you describe but it was cats that kept knocking the standmount speakers over not the kid and I do like to listen to music in 2.0/2.1 every now and again.

zieglj01 07-22-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Hi all!!

If you like them and want them -- then get them. I would also consider it an upgrade.

However for me, I would get the Silver bookshelf speakers and mount them.

Contuzzi 07-22-2017 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pase22 (Post 54456633)
The Bronze 2's are front ported so could easily be wall mounted using brackets. This would keep them out of way and minimize potential disasters.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSTNDW15...er+wall+mounts
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Univers...er+wall+mounts

THIS. And absolutely go higher line bookshelves vs lower line floor standers.

RayGuy 07-22-2017 04:14 PM

Agree with the prior 2 posters ... silver bookshelves + Sub > Bronze Floorstanding + sub.

djp2k7 07-23-2017 05:46 AM

Huge upgrade, whether you go bookshelf or tower. There is no question. Silver series even more so. Just to point out...a tower speaker and bookshelf speaker with sub won't sound the same. The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz. Not saying one is better than the other, it's all personal preference. I just often read people saying there's no need for towers if you use a sub with bookshelves. It's not exactly the same sound. Both options have pros and cons.

Bimmon 07-25-2017 12:10 AM

I think speaker upgrades are the best bang for your buck, up to about 10k per pair, assuming you have enough power for your listening level. Then the difference becomes more marginal.

Ben Tan 07-25-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djp2k7 (Post 54471217)
Huge upgrade, whether you go bookshelf or tower. There is no question. Silver series even more so. Just to point out...a tower speaker and bookshelf speaker with sub won't sound the same. The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz. Not saying one is better than the other, it's all personal preference. I just often read people saying there's no need for towers if you use a sub with bookshelves. It's not exactly the same sound. Both options have pros and cons.

Only if the bookshelfs aren't competently designed in the first place.

Bill Fitzmaurice 07-25-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djp2k7 (Post 54471217)
The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz.

If that was true then it would be easy to tell which of these charts is a tower and which is a bookshelf:

http://billfitzmaurice.info/images/T... bookshelf.jpg