• 1 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice

post #1 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Speaker Upgrade Worth it?

Hi all!!

I have a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup right now, and for the main Left and Right channels I have Pioneers SPFS52 Andrew Jones Speakers.

I have on Layaway with my local audio dealer, a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B6's. My main question would be....before I make this investment... is it worth it? I sure have heard both and theres a difference. But wanted to know the opinion of some of the enthusiasts here in the forums.

Thanks

LG OLED55C6P
Xbox One X/ Sony UHD X700
Denon AVR-S920W - with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup
Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - Monitor Audio Radius HD
Monitor Audio Bronze BXW10 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dermeister00 View Post
Hi all!!

I have a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup right now, and for the main Left and Right channels I have Pioneers SPFS52 Andrew Jones Speakers.

I have on Layaway with my local audio dealer, a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B6's. My main question would be....before I make this investment... is it worth it? I sure have heard both and theres a difference. But wanted to know the opinion of some of the enthusiasts here in the forums.

Thanks
My opinion may not be worth much as I'm not an expert nor am I familiar with your Andrew Jones speakers however I have owned a set of Monitor Audio Silver series speakers for about 10 years now and they are superb, even after all this time. Clear, full and great base, I'm very happy with their product.

LG OLED65C6P
MARANTZ SR6011
OPPO UDP-203
PS4 PRO ~ XBOX ONE-S ~ PS3 ~ BELL FIBE
Monitor Audio Silver Series Speakers in 7.1
post #3 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 2824
Quote:
Hi all!!

Thanks
They will be a noticeable upgrade, however going with Monitor bronze 2's and upgrading the sub would have a much greater impact on your listening enjoyment, especially for HT. A set of speakers crossed over to a good sub at 80hz eliminates the need for towers.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 922
I agree with others that it should be an all-around improvement.

I also agree with the Bronze 2 with a sub, which you already have, will sound as good as the towers for less money.

The bronze 2 have been winning many awards in their class for design and sound year after year.

See if your dealer will let you try both at your home.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the recommendations. Ill take this under considerations and see.

I previously had a Polk Audio Sub, and after 5 or 6 years it died. And replaced it with a MA Bronze BX Sub. Combined with MA Radius HD all around.

Then came the interest in building something for ATMOS. At the time I bought this Pioneers towers for a good price. But wanted something at the long run from MA quality.

Why I bought towers?, was more from a safety point. Since my kids accidentally have bumped speaker stands and got me worried. Decided then to buy towers instead which are more solid on the floor.

LG OLED55C6P
Xbox One X/ Sony UHD X700
Denon AVR-S920W - with 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup
Monitor Audio Bronze 6 - Monitor Audio Radius HD
Monitor Audio Bronze BXW10 Sub
post #6 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I previously had a Polk Audio Sub, and after 5 or 6 years it died. And replaced it with a MA Bronze BX Sub. Combined with MA Radius HD all around.

Then came the interest in building something for ATMOS. At the time I bought this Pioneers towers for a good price. But wanted something at the long run from MA quality.

Why I bought towers?, was more from a safety point. Since my kids accidentally have bumped speaker stands and got me worried. Decided then to buy towers instead which are more solid on the floor.
The Bronze 2's are front ported so could easily be wall mounted using brackets. This would keep them out of way and minimize potential disasters.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSTNDW15...er+wall+mounts
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Univers...er+wall+mounts
Bill Fitzmaurice likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
They will be a noticeable upgrade, however going with Monitor bronze 2's and upgrading the sub would have a much greater impact on your listening enjoyment, especially for HT. A set of speakers crossed over to a good sub at 80hz eliminates the need for towers.
+1. Going to higher quality bookshelves and adding a second sub will give much better results.

Quote:
Bronze 2's are front ported so could easily be wall mounted using brackets
+1. Anything a kid can reach a kid can break. But front porting doesn't matter, as the port output would be well below the crossover frequency anyway.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
+1. Going to higher quality bookshelves and adding a second sub will give much better results.

+1. Anything a kid can reach a kid can break. But front porting doesn't matter, as the port output would be well below the crossover frequency anyway.
Port orientation is irrelevant when crossed over at 80hz, but front ported is still a plus if he wants to listen in 2.0 as I sometimes do for certain genres of music.

post #9 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
Quote:

If your use is primarily Home Theater the improvement might be marginal as the heavy lifting is done by the center and sub.

If you listen to music in 2.0 or 2.1 then yes, a definite upgrade.

I now have towers for the reasons you describe but it was cats that kept knocking the standmount speakers over not the kid and I do like to listen to music in 2.0/2.1 every now and again.

Geoff A. J., California
post #10 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3127 Post(s)
Liked: 3047
Quote:
Hi all!!

If you like them and want them -- then get them. I would also consider it an upgrade.

However for me, I would get the Silver bookshelf speakers and mount them.

----------------
Who AM I
post #11 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The Bronze 2's are front ported so could easily be wall mounted using brackets. This would keep them out of way and minimize potential disasters.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PSTNDW15...er+wall+mounts
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Univers...er+wall+mounts
THIS. And absolutely go higher line bookshelves vs lower line floor standers.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-22-2017, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2859 Post(s)
Liked: 2631
Agree with the prior 2 posters ... silver bookshelves + Sub > Bronze Floorstanding + sub.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Huge upgrade, whether you go bookshelf or tower. There is no question. Silver series even more so. Just to point out...a tower speaker and bookshelf speaker with sub won't sound the same. The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz. Not saying one is better than the other, it's all personal preference. I just often read people saying there's no need for towers if you use a sub with bookshelves. It's not exactly the same sound. Both options have pros and cons.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I think speaker upgrades are the best bang for your buck, up to about 10k per pair, assuming you have enough power for your listening level. Then the difference becomes more marginal.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Huge upgrade, whether you go bookshelf or tower. There is no question. Silver series even more so. Just to point out...a tower speaker and bookshelf speaker with sub won't sound the same. The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz. Not saying one is better than the other, it's all personal preference. I just often read people saying there's no need for towers if you use a sub with bookshelves. It's not exactly the same sound. Both options have pros and cons.
Only if the bookshelfs aren't competently designed in the first place.
Bill Fitzmaurice likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz.
If that was true then it would be easy to tell which of these charts is a tower and which is a bookshelf:

Ben Tan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page