AVS Forum banner

Speaker Upgrade Worth it?

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Bill Fitzmaurice 
#1 ·
Hi all!!

I have a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup right now, and for the main Left and Right channels I have Pioneers SPFS52 Andrew Jones Speakers.

I have on Layaway with my local audio dealer, a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B6's. My main question would be....before I make this investment... is it worth it? I sure have heard both and theres a difference. But wanted to know the opinion of some of the enthusiasts here in the forums.

Thanks

#2 ·
My opinion may not be worth much as I'm not an expert nor am I familiar with your Andrew Jones speakers however I have owned a set of Monitor Audio Silver series speakers for about 10 years now and they are superb, even after all this time. Clear, full and great base, I'm very happy with their product.

#3 ·
They will be a noticeable upgrade, however going with Monitor bronze 2's and upgrading the sub would have a much greater impact on your listening enjoyment, especially for HT. A set of speakers crossed over to a good sub at 80hz eliminates the need for towers.

#7 ·
+1. Going to higher quality bookshelves and adding a second sub will give much better results.

Bronze 2's are front ported so could easily be wall mounted using brackets
+1. Anything a kid can reach a kid can break. But front porting doesn't matter, as the port output would be well below the crossover frequency anyway.

#4 ·
I agree with others that it should be an all-around improvement.

I also agree with the Bronze 2 with a sub, which you already have, will sound as good as the towers for less money.

The bronze 2 have been winning many awards in their class for design and sound year after year.

See if your dealer will let you try both at your home.

#5 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. Ill take this under considerations and see.

I previously had a Polk Audio Sub, and after 5 or 6 years it died. And replaced it with a MA Bronze BX Sub. Combined with MA Radius HD all around.

Then came the interest in building something for ATMOS. At the time I bought this Pioneers towers for a good price. But wanted something at the long run from MA quality.

Why I bought towers?, was more from a safety point. Since my kids accidentally have bumped speaker stands and got me worried. Decided then to buy towers instead which are more solid on the floor.

#6 ·
Reactions: Bill Fitzmaurice
#10 ·
Hi all!!

I have a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup right now, and for the main Left and Right channels I have Pioneers SPFS52 Andrew Jones Speakers.

I have on Layaway with my local audio dealer, a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B6's. My main question would be....before I make this investment... is it worth it? I sure have heard both and theres a difference. But wanted to know the opinion of some of the enthusiasts here in the forums.
If you like them and want them -- then get them. I would also consider it an upgrade.

However for me, I would get the Silver bookshelf speakers and mount them.

#13 ·
Huge upgrade, whether you go bookshelf or tower. There is no question. Silver series even more so. Just to point out...a tower speaker and bookshelf speaker with sub won't sound the same. The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz. Not saying one is better than the other, it's all personal preference. I just often read people saying there's no need for towers if you use a sub with bookshelves. It's not exactly the same sound. Both options have pros and cons.

#15 ·
Huge upgrade, whether you go bookshelf or tower. There is no question. Silver series even more so. Just to point out...a tower speaker and bookshelf speaker with sub won't sound the same. The tower will have a fuller sound due to the bass/mid bass coming from the tower above 80hz. Not saying one is better than the other, it's all personal preference. I just often read people saying there's no need for towers if you use a sub with bookshelves. It's not exactly the same sound. Both options have pros and cons.
Only if the bookshelfs aren't competently designed in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.