I dropped one of my new speakers...will it be okay? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I dropped one of my new speakers...will it be okay?

Hello everyone.

I got home late last night and saw my new pair of Klipsch RP-250Fs sitting on my door step. As I was bringing them in, I tripped and dropped one of them onto the linoleum in my entry-way. I took it out of the box, and as I had feared, it had hit the floor face down where the 2 drivers and tweeter are located, and most likely both the drivers and tweeter made contact with the floor when I dropped it, although it was still in the original box with the original packaging and Styrofoam (foam was only on top and bottom of speaker). Imagine slowly tipping over a speaker and then letting it go. That's about how hard it hit.

I compared the speaker I dropped to the other one, and the only difference I can see is that the tweeter appears to be just barely less tightly pressed up against the wood near the top. And I'm talking like not even a millimeter. I have to get really close to see the difference.

I bought these as a new (open-box) item on ebay, and I can't return them. Plus it was my fault so it wouldn't be nice of me to lie and say they arrived damaged.

So do you think my speaker's performance is going to be affected by this? Or is it just a minor aesthetic thing? Can I fix it? I'll be hooking them up tonight to give them a test, but even if I love the way they sound, without some piece of mind I will always wonder if they could have sounded just a tiny bit better had I not dropped the one. I can upload some pictures of them tonight too if that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9222 Post(s)
Liked: 6338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamental View Post
Hello everyone.

I got home late last night and saw my new pair of Klipsch RP-250Fs sitting on my door step. As I was bringing them in, I tripped and dropped one of them onto the linoleum in my entry-way. I took it out of the box, and as I had feared, it had hit the floor face down where the 2 drivers and tweeter are located, and most likely both the drivers and tweeter made contact with the floor when I dropped it, although it was still in the original box with the original packaging and Styrofoam (foam was only on top and bottom of speaker). Imagine slowly tipping over a speaker and then letting it go. That's about how hard it hit.

I compared the speaker I dropped to the other one, and the only difference I can see is that the tweeter appears to be just barely less tightly pressed up against the wood near the top. And I'm talking like not even a millimeter. I have to get really close to see the difference.

I bought these as a new (open-box) item on ebay, and I can't return them. Plus it was my fault so it wouldn't be nice of me to lie and say they arrived damaged.

So do you think my speaker's performance is going to be affected by this? Or is it just a minor aesthetic thing? Can I fix it? I'll be hooking them up tonight to give them a test, but even if I love the way they sound, without some piece of mind I will always wonder if they could have sounded just a tiny bit better had I not dropped the one. I can upload some pictures of them tonight too if that would be helpful.

Thanks!
I used to have B&W speakers on stands that my cats regularly knocked over.

That was over a decade ago.

They are working fine to this day.

Last year my daughter knocked one of my LX16s off the stand onto the floor; damaged the grill and I replaced it.

Speaker is fine.

I'm sure my speakers hit harder than yours.

I think you are worrying about nothing to be honest.
Lp85253 likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
Quote:
Well, only one way to find out, and you'll find out tonight. I probably wouldn't sweat it too much. You might just be seeing the way it was assembled - I do not know how good Klipsch is as far as their assembly consistency, and I don't see how the drivers could have actually contacted the floor unless the box and styro REALLY gave way. These things are usually packed to take a bit of abuse.
Lp85253 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
i think it will be ok... almost all delivery packages are dropped or handled roughly...if it happens again.. after unboxing , then you may have cause to worry ...plug them in and enjoy... best of luck...
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 855
I'm sure the delivery guys did a lot worse to the package. If your speakers are affected by the trip and fall, I do not think any one in the world would have functioning speakers.

post #6 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeah, the drivers definitely didn't have any noticeable imperfections. There is a shallow, thin scuff about 1cm long near the tweeter, which is what leads me to believe dropping it did result in the speaker making contact. But then again, it was an open box item I bought, so who really knows.

Now that I think about it, though...one of the Styrofoam pieces should have covered up most of the tweeter, and the part where it was scuffed...so, maybe it wasn't me?

I guess I'll find out tonight.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Yeah, the drivers definitely didn't have any noticeable imperfections. There is a shallow, thin scuff about 1cm long near the tweeter, which is what leads me to believe dropping it did result in the speaker making contact. But then again, it was an open box item I bought, so who really knows.

Now that I think about it, though...one of the Styrofoam pieces should have covered up most of the tweeter, and the part where it was scuffed...so, maybe it wasn't me?

I had a set of 5 identical speakers with aluminum dome tweeter. A couple of the tweeter got pushed in. I ways never able to hear any sonic differences. I did, however, replace the tweeters because I didn't like the smooshed in look.

If the two speakers sound alike and the one in question has no rattles, you should be in good shape.

Kudos to you for not blaming the seller or delivery services.

Enjoy!!!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-25-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9222 Post(s)
Liked: 6338
Quote:

Speakers are remarkably rugged on a simple drop.

Their main enemy are sharp objects or water.

My right tower is less than a foot away from a wood stove, has been for years.

Zero problems.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page