Speaker Shootout - two of the most accurate and well reviewed speakers ever made - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1872Likes

post #1741 of 1751 Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrmoran View Post
Right, the mass and the behavior of the mass are not exactly the same as the slug of air.

Of course at your knowledge level (beyond mine) you could also have studied the air temperature in the vent, also the effect of cannabis smoke, cat hair, and so on.

All the articles about vent shape (length, smoothness, flare, folds, enclosure loading within enclosures) point out their importance as well. Did you study xmission lines too?

Uh, yeah, doubt it's beyond yours, then or now.

Yes, air temperature, humidity, and density are first-order factors in how sound propagates so were studied and included. Do not recall deriving compensatory factors for cannabis smoke, though smoke in general was touched on at one point IIRC. Smoke was sometimes used to illustrate airflow so we had to know how it changed the sound waves. Cat hair, no, and since I am not a cat fan that was OK with me. I will venture a guess that a hairball in the port will change the tuning frequency, and inserting the full cat more so, as well as introducing other more piercing and less pleasant sounds.

We did study vent (and horn) flares and all that jazz but probably not to the extent it is now. Not that I remember much. Those classes were 30+ years ago. I still have the texts and pull them out now and then to look up something or (more likely) amaze myself with what I once knew and understood. These days I'd use a flow model and computer (COMSOL, Matlab, etc.)

Transmission lines, yes, but I honestly don't remember much. I did review them a few years ago when reading Roger Sanders' woofer TL designs. Since graduation I have dealt with a lot of transmission lines but of the RF/mW variety rather than audio.

Being in Colorado now, I suppose I really should devote more effort to the study of cannabis smoke, but I still need my brain for a few more years...

Wait, what was this thread about? - Don

p.s. Jealous of your RS papers, going through those must be a hoot!
davidrmoran likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1751 Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrmoran View Post
Neat! Thanks. I don't see the components for cannabis smoke and cat hair, though.

One of the cooler things on my audio TD list is to go through the box or two of RSmall papers I received from Roy Allison's family after Allison died a year ago --- extensive letters, other correspondence, assistance, loans of equipment, sharp observations about reviewers and researchers and standards. Plus RA's markup and suggested edits of Small's doctoral thesis. Some of the letters are wickedly funny. For decades they gave each other intellectual support and sounding of ideas. At the outset Small, on a visit, did not much care for the Allison One's presentation (not balance), and RA knew why. RA initially thought it was the dinner he'd just served ... Anyway, cool stuff, such as I have skimmed it.
For anyone interested, PDFs of some of the Thiele and Small papers can be found here and here.
DonH50 likes this.
post #1743 of 1751 Old 10-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 7085 Post(s)
Liked: 6089
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
The question, may be, torii was asking was, what should a customer listen for during demo to select a speaker.
Customers should listen for their own personal preference. That's what listeners at Harman did. Measurements were taken to find out what the preferred speakers had in common. Speaker choice should be based on what pleases you, not some aggregate preference out there.
gsr and Flight level like this.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1751 Old 09-03-2018, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Mentioning that speaker shoot out, what happened to Mr. Shuerman, I have not seen him on this forum for lo these many months, summer vacation from audio threads? 🤪

Lumin T1 | Vitus RI-100 | Revel Ultima Studio2 | JL Audio: F110(2) & F112
post #1745 of 1751 Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
He posts on the Revel thread now and then but is just crazy busy. Day-to-day interaction has been handed over to @Rex Anderson . John did hook me up a with a few B-stock Revels recently so he is definitely still alive and well, just posting less!

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 09-03-2018 at 02:03 PM.
post #1746 of 1751 Old 09-03-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinaker01 View Post
Mentioning that speaker shoot out, what happened to Mr. Shuerman, I have not seen him on this forum for lo these many months, summer vacation from audio threads? 🤪
Expanding further upon what Don just stated, he is making a film, a passion project that he's had on the back or side burner for a while. Now, he's going "all in" on the project, so he said his farewells as a frequent poster to the forum (via the Revel thread) about 1-2 months ago.
post #1747 of 1751 Old 09-03-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinaker01 View Post
Mentioning that speaker shoot out, what happened to Mr. Schuerman, I have not seen him on this forum for lo these many months, summer vacation from audio threads? 🤪
As others have mentioned, John graciously asked if I would be interested in helping folks on the forums because he no longer has time to keep up with the amount of effort he put in here for so many years.

I was surprised when he asked, but was honored and more than happy to become part of The Screening Room team.

John was a prolific poster and has extensive knowledge of both audio and video, I have big shoes to fill! I am trying my best to keep up with everything and contribute as much as I can. Dr. Toole and Kevin Voecks have kindly offered their expertise, so I have some serious backup. If I don't know the answers to any questions, I will go direct to the source to get the best information possible.

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in the future!

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 09-03-2018 at 02:55 PM.
post #1748 of 1751 Old 09-06-2018, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
As others have mentioned, John graciously asked if I would be interested in helping folks on the forums because he no longer has time to keep up with the amount of effort he put in here for so many years.

I was surprised when he asked, but was honored and more than happy to become part of The Screening Room team.

John was a prolific poster and has extensive knowledge of both audio and video, I have big shoes to fill! I am trying my best to keep up with everything and contribute as much as I can. Dr. Toole and Kevin Voecks have kindly offered their expertise, so I have some serious backup. If I don't know the answers to any questions, I will go direct to the source to get the best information possible.

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you in the future!
Thanks for all the responses, we're in good hands!
Rex Anderson likes this.

Lumin T1 | Vitus RI-100 | Revel Ultima Studio2 | JL Audio: F110(2) & F112
post #1749 of 1751 Old 12-13-2018, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Dunno what it looks like exactly but it sure seems like it's a combination of a wall mount bracket, two tilt adapters strung together, and an adapter plate.

Life is Lambertian
post #1750 of 1751 Old 12-13-2018, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Thread revival. Can anyone ID the wall mounts in this picture?
Have you tried contacting the member who posted the picture (CINERAMAX)? I have never seen anything like the wall mounts in that picture. Looks like something custom and very innovatively put together from pro audio speaker stand parts.

Try Ultimate Support, On Stage Stands, Omnimount, etc. https://www.planetdj.com/blog/best-speaker-stands-2018/

No doubt the base plates use bolts to hold the speakers on thus drilling holes in the speakers might be required (708's have mounting points on top and bottom).

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 12-13-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #1751 of 1751 Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Have you tried contacting the member who posted the picture (CINERAMAX)? I have never seen anything like the wall mounts in that picture. Looks like something custom and very innovatively put together from pro audio speaker stand parts.

Try Ultimate Support, On Stage Stands, Omnimount, etc. https://www.planetdj.com/blog/best-speaker-stands-2018/

No doubt the base plates use bolts to hold the speakers on thus drilling holes in the speakers might be required (708's have mounting points on top and bottom).
Peavey versamounts are really solid as well plus their hole pattern lines up with 70X mounting holes.

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page