Budget (~400€/500$) surround speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Budget (~400€/500$) surround speakers

Hi there!
A few months ago I did the first part of my home cinema speaker upgrade. I replaced my AV receiver and the subwoofer. Now it's time to upgrade the rest.

Current setup:
- Denon AVR-X1300W receiver
- Magnat Monitor Supreme Sub 302A subwoofer
- Pyle Audio PDIC 60 ceiling speakers (for Atmos)
- Other Speakers are from Pioneer HTP-072 package

So what I need is a new center, fronts and surrounds to replace those from the Pioneer package. I am willing to spend around 400€/500$ on them. I am from mainland Europe so getting something that is available here would be nice . The budget is somewhat flexible but I really wouldn't want to go over it by too much.

I definitely want bookshelf speakers since I don't have any room for floor standing ones. The center will be mounted on a shelf above the TV while the fronts will be mounted to each side of the TV. It's probably also worth noting that the surrounds are very close to the listening position (around 0.9m).

I did some reasearch and found the following options...
- First is the Wharfedale DX-1SE package for around 340€. I don't need the sub, but I could always go for a 5.2 system. Probably not a good choice, but I am just throwing it out there.
- Then there are Mission LX-1s with Mission LX-C center speaker. They would total around 420€. So slightly over budget but not by too much.
- Or maybe Roth Audio OLi RA1 with their OLi C30 center for around 320€. These are really cheap, but have some really good reviews behind them.

I know that Q Acoustics seem to be highly recommended, but 3010s are a bit too expensive while the older 2000 series are just impossible to get around here. Actually the 3000 series is quite impossible to get as well (especially for a reasonable price). 3010s with the 3090c center would cost me around 520€ which is a bit too much for my liking.

Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3107 Post(s)
Liked: 3025
I would lean towards the Wharfedale or Mission -- is Cambridge Audio in your area?

----------------
Who AM I
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3333 Post(s)
Liked: 2798
Going from an HTIB package to another HTIB package won't provide any improvement in sound quality. You should start with good quality front speakers and get the center and surrounds later.
I'd start with these
https://www.amazon.de/Q-Acoustics-30...ds=q+acoustics
or these
https://www.amazon.de/Dali-Zensor-Re...A396D08HGR31AL
or these
https://www.amazon.de/Wharfedale-DIA...fedale+diamond

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
I would lean towards the Wharfedale or Mission -- is Cambridge Audio in your area?
Wharfedale DX-1SE has an ok review behind them, but from what I've read around the forums they really aren't all that good. So with that I am probably leaning more towards Mission.

I can't find anything from Cambridge Audio for a reasonable price in the stores that deliver to these parts of the world.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Going from an HTIB package to another HTIB package won't provide any improvement in sound quality. You should start with good quality front speakers and get the center and surrounds later.
That's what I thought.

If I am honest I would really want to upgrade everything at once and then forget about it. Even if I would go for the split upgrade I still can't justify spending 230€ or more for a single pair of speakers.

Maybe I could go for Wharfedale Diamond 210s, but I can't really find a suitable center for those.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9082 Post(s)
Liked: 6224
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00li View Post
That's what I thought.

If I am honest I would really want to upgrade everything at once and then forget about it. Even if I would go for the split upgrade I still can't justify spending 230€ or more for a single pair of speakers.

Maybe I could go for Wharfedale Diamond 210s, but I can't really find a suitable center for those.
I would spend your entire budget on a Q Acoustics front three and use what you have for surrounds.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well after some thinking and looking around I think I found a reasonable solution...

I ordered Mission LX-2s for fronts with their LX-C center and LX-1s for surround. All together for 480€, which is 80€ over budget, but I can survive with that. LX-2 seem to have even better reviews than the Q Acoustics and are slightly cheaper. So they are definitely a good choice. And I doubt that LX-1s are much worse, so they should be ok for the surrounds.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Well after some thinking and looking around I think I found a reasonable solution...

I ordered Mission LX-2s for fronts with their LX-C center and LX-1s for surround. All together for 480€, which is 80€ over budget, but I can survive with that. LX-2 seem to have even better reviews than the Q Acoustics and are slightly cheaper. So they are definitely a good choice. And I doubt that LX-1s are much worse, so they should be ok for the surrounds.
Excellent.

I'm one of the very few who like WhatHiFi reviews as they were spot on with their subjective comments of the LX16s and Concept 20s I auditioned at home last year and they really liked the Missions so you are on safe ground there I would think.

Enjoy.

https://www.whathifi.com/mission/lx-2/review

Geoff A. J., California
post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well I have received my speakers today... first thing that came to mind: They are huge. I am pretty sure that a single LX-1 has enough volume in it's box to put my whole old system in there. I never paid attention to the dimensions of these beasts so I was really surprised when I saw them. But no matter, I luckily have enough space.

For now the only issue that I am having is that Audyssey is detecting the front speakers as large when they should be set as small (according to the speaker manual). But as far as I know I can't change that without disabling Audyssey. I should probably also consider replacing the speaker cable with something slightly thicker. That tiny 22 AWG wire seems a bit out of place with the huge monsters.

As for sound... they definitely sound a lot different than what I am used to. I haven't played around with them much yet so I can't comment on that much.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Well I have received my speakers today... first thing that came to mind: They are huge. I am pretty sure that a single LX-1 has enough volume in it's box to put my whole old system in there. I never paid attention to the dimensions of these beasts so I was really surprised when I saw them. But no matter, I luckily have enough space.

For now the only issue that I am having is that Audyssey is detecting the front speakers as large when they should be set as small (according to the speaker manual). But as far as I know I can't change that without disabling Audyssey. I should probably also consider replacing the speaker cable with something slightly thicker. That tiny 22 AWG wire seems a bit out of place with the huge monsters.

As for sound... they definitely sound a lot different than what I am used to. I haven't played around with them much yet so I can't comment on that much.
That's pretty normal having Audyssey setting the speakers to large and, no, Audyssey will work just fine setting them to small as I do with my towers which play down to 39hz.

Yes, 16 or 14 gauge copper wire would be a good idea; just don't be coaxed into buying expensive wire unless you do it for looks alone.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 11 Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I changed it to small and set the crossovers to 80Hz as recommended by someone. The manual makes it sound like changing any of the manual settings will disable some of the Audyssey functionality.

I also ordered some 1.5mm (around 15 awg) speaker wire - the cheap variety not some expensive stuff. Now I just hae to find some time to actually install that - should be fun.

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
bookshelf , budget , speakers , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page