Powered Subwoofer in my attic - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By littlefoott
  • 1 Post By vzphoneman

post #1 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Powered Subwoofer in my attic

Hello everyone i usually dont post but im haveing trouble finding what i am looking for.

My subwoofer isnt fancy its a yamaha 10" powered sub.
Its been sitting in one of my bookshelves for a while since i dont have space for it. But now my bd collection is needing the space..
Ive seen many posts on in ceiling subs i was wondering...
If i cut out just the speaker hole through the ceiling and place the sub so that the speaker sits through the hole would this work? There is a power outlet in the attic already for a roof vent i can plug into and i can run an rc cable so the power and connection isnt an issue im just wondering if this would work as far as sound..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7146 Post(s)
Liked: 5457
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver96 View Post
My subwoofer isnt fancy its a yamaha 10" powered sub.
Its been sitting in one of my bookshelves for a while since i dont have space for it. But now my bd collection is needing the space..
Ive seen many posts on in ceiling subs i was wondering...
If i cut out just the speaker hole through the ceiling and place the sub so that the speaker sits through the hole would this work? There is a power outlet in the attic already for a roof vent i can plug into and i can run an rc cable so the power and connection isnt an issue im just wondering if this would work as far as sound..
Probably not great. The weaker a sub is, the more it benefits from room reinforcement: having it in on the floor in a corner, not too far from the listening position. Putting it in the space above the listening area, even with it firing through a hole in the ceiling, doesn't strike me as a good idea unless it's already a super-powerful sub to begin with, that has tons of headroom.
guyver96 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 10 Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Probably not great. The weaker a sub is, the more it benefits from room reinforcement: having it in on the floor in a corner, not too far from the listening position. Putting it in the space above the listening area, even with it firing through a hole in the ceiling, doesn't strike me as a good idea unless it's already a super-powerful sub to begin with, that has tons of headroom.
Its not small btw, and its 250w...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 223
may need a little more work then that, but to use the attic look up "infinite baffle subwoofer"
do some research in that direction and you may like what you find
guyver96 likes this.

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #5 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5775
Quote:
its 250w...
The size of the amp has no direct relationship with either frequency extension or maximum output.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
The size of the amp has no direct relationship with either frequency extension or maximum output.
You completely went yoda... lol i dont understand i couldve bought a 50 watt sub instead of spending the money on this thing...

Last edited by guyver96; 08-08-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Zorba makes good points. You may want to consider having the hole for the sub in a corner of your ceiling, on the wall where your speakers are located, to reinforce the bass somewhat. The tough part of your plan is you really can't experiment with the position of the hole to find the best location, short of holding the sub up against the ceiling .... and even that wont be the same.
If you do mount it in the ceiling/attic I would fashion some sort of port/tube instead of just laying the sub over the hole. You'll want all of the sub's sound to go through the hole.
guyver96 likes this.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #8 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
Zorba makes good points. You may want to consider having the hole for the sub in a corner of your ceiling, on the wall where your speakers are located, to reinforce the bass somewhat. The tough part of your plan is you really can't experiment with the position of the hole to find the best location, short of holding the sub up against the ceiling .... and even that wont be the same.
If you do mount it in the ceiling/attic I would fashion some sort of port/tube instead of just laying the sub over the hole. You'll want all of the sub's sound to go through the hole.
I see what your saying.. right now the sub is in the bottom shelf but the port hole is whats pointed towards the sitting area. Tje actual speaker is aimed at the shelf. It fills the room with bass. The I.B. is an awesome idea but my system is done its just the space for the sub is now an issue.
I was looking at other options but no where to see and test them..
Anyone have a Jbl cs19?

post #9 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5775
Quote:
You completely went yoda... lol i dont understand i couldve bought a 50 watt sub instead of spending the money on this thing...
The output of a sub is based on a number of factors, the least of which is the amp power rating. What matters far more is the speaker frequency response, sensitivity and driver displacement limit. It's like saying that your vehicle is really fast because it has a 250HP engine. If that 250HP is in a 2500 pound sports car it probably is pretty fast. If it's in a 25,000 pound bulldozer, probably not.

I do use a 50 watt amp with my sub, and it will go lower and louder than most subs on the market, because the speaker design is far more efficient than most subs on the market, so much so that it seldom actually runs with more than 10 watts output.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-08-2017, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
The output of a sub is based on a number of factors, the least of which is the amp power rating. What matters far more is the speaker frequency response, sensitivity and driver displacement limit. It's like saying that your vehicle is really fast because it has a 250HP engine. If that 250HP is in a 2500 pound sports car it probably is pretty fast. If it's in a 25,000 pound bulldozer, probably not.

I do use a 50 watt amp with my sub, and it will go lower and louder than most subs on the market, because the speaker design is far more efficient than most subs on the market, so much so that it seldom actually runs with more than 10 watts output.
Gotcha.. no replacement for displacement..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page