Finding the right speaker and sub for my living room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By SouthernCA
  • 2 Post By Zorba922

post #1 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Finding the right speaker and sub for my living room

I've had a thread up previously but that one was a bit messy, including receivers and what not so I figured I create a new to find out what I need to look for in speakers and a sub.

Below you can see my living room, there is plenty of windows and a windowed door out to a balcony on the left. The speakers will be only in the middle area but hopefully they can fill the rest of the room for at least music even if the main usage are for movies.

I am only going to buy two bookshelves and 1 sub. I have been looking at various speakers between $700 and $1600 and some of the ones that have caught my eye have been the Klipsch RP-160M, SVS Ultra, KEF LS50 and KEF R300. I have heard a chance to listen to all of them except for the SVS speakers very briefly, but just for a little bit so I do not think I could make a fair judgement but I actually like all of them. The Klipsch speakers are probably the most crystal clear to me but can at times sound a bit distant. I'm not sure I could distinguish between the LS50 and the R300 enough that I could say which one I like the most. Any input on that? I heard that the R300 is better at filling the room while LS50 are better when just listening to a song straight in front of you.

I have not narrowed it down to them, I am actually very open to options.

As far as sub goes, I do not want a large one, I want a smaller one but I do not wish make it so small that the sub impact is negligible with an already good pair of speakers. I realize that size is not everything, yet people here seem to recommend always the bigger and and most clunky subs out there. You guys keep raving about SVS, so are the only reseller here doing as well so I am looking at primarily the PB-1000? Is that enough for my living room? Heavy bass does not excite me at all but I don't want to be lacking. That is why I am consider the smaller sub but the R300s that could probably help the sub out the most as far as bass goes between the suggested speakers (as far as I have heard). Quite frankly, PB-1000 is a bit big as well but if it absolutely destroys other smaller options then I might just have to swallow it and erase the idea from my brain that I will have a bulldozer in my living room.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm listening.

Last edited by Colonel Mustard; 08-29-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6922 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Mustard View Post
Below you can see my living room, there is plenty of windows and a windowed door out to a balcony on the left. The speakers will be only in the middle area but hopefully they can fill the rest of the room for at least music even if the main usage are for movies.

I am only going to buy two bookshelves and 1 sub. I have been looking at various speakers between $700 and $1600 and some of the ones that have caught my eye have been the Klipsch RP-160M, SVS Ultra, KEF LS50 and KEF R300. I have heard a chance to listen to all of them except for the SVS speakers very briefly, but just for a little bit so I do not think I could make a fair judgement but I actually like all of them. The Klipsch speakers are probably the most crystal clear to me but can at times sound a bit distant. I'm not sure I could distinguish between the LS50 and the R300 enough that I could say which one I like the most. Any input on that? I heard that the R300 is better at filling the room while LS50 are better when just listening to a song straight in front of you.

As far as sub goes, I do not want a large one, I want a smaller one but I do not wish make it so small that the sub impact is negligible with an already good pair of speakers
The raging steal for subwoofers right now is this JBL, $189 shipped (retails for $600 on the JBL website)...I would get 2 if you can, that will greatly even out room nulls so you get a nice even response. You won't get the deep kick-in-the-chest effect of something like a Hsu VTF-3 but it sounds like you aren't looking for that.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-55...=jbl+subwoofer

Since your usage is mainly HT not music, I would cross off the KEF LS50 and R300 as well as the (very overpriced IMO) SVS Ultra. To be honest, with your budget and lack of interest in surround sound I would just buy a good pair of towers, the physical footprint would be about the same and you wouldn't have to bother buying speaker stands plus you'd have more of a room-filling effect.

These QAs would do well for both HT and music, and they look quite nice as well:
https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstan...aker-pair.html
Their sound signature is neutral with a touch of warmth which would be a good idea in a room with so many hard surfaces and windows like yours...a more treble-forward speaker in such a room might run the risk of "brightness" which is ok for HT but not so great for music.

These are not quite as nice looking as the QAs but for HT usage they would be ideal, and are more than 50% off MSRP:
https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SI...c-dealnews.com

However, if you are set on bookshelves, I'd recommend a dual-woofer design not a single-woofer design...the extra woofer will give you greater sensitivity, greater mid-bass punch, and more of a room-filling capability. Great options well within your budget would be the Ascend 340SE, Chane A2.4, Hsu HC-1, and maybe even the RSL CG23. Google them.
audiofreak38 likes this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
The raging steal for subwoofers right now is this JBL, $189 shipped (retails for $600 on the JBL website)...I would get 2 if you can, that will greatly even out room nulls so you get a nice even response. You won't get the deep kick-in-the-chest effect of something like a Hsu VTF-3 but it sounds like you aren't looking for that.
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-55...=jbl+subwoofer

Since your usage is mainly HT not music, I would cross off the KEF LS50 and R300 as well as the (very overpriced IMO) SVS Ultra. To be honest, with your budget and lack of interest in surround sound I would just buy a good pair of towers, the physical footprint would be about the same and you wouldn't have to bother buying speaker stands plus you'd have more of a room-filling effect.

These QAs would do well for both HT and music, and they look quite nice as well:
https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstan...aker-pair.html
Their sound signature is neutral with a touch of warmth which would be a good idea in a room with so many hard surfaces and windows like yours...a more treble-forward speaker in such a room might run the risk of "brightness" which is ok for HT but not so great for music.

These are not quite as nice looking as the QAs but for HT usage they would be ideal, and are more than 50% off MSRP:
https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SI...c-dealnews.com

However, if you are set on bookshelves, I'd recommend a dual-woofer design not a single-woofer design...the extra woofer will give you greater sensitivity, greater mid-bass punch, and more of a room-filling capability. Great options well within your budget would be the Ascend 340SE, Chane A2.4, Hsu HC-1, and maybe even the RSL CG23. Google them.
Thanks for your input but just to be clear (sorry if it was unclear) but I will NOT go for 2 subs, just 1 and I will go for bookshelves, no floors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input but just to be clear (sorry if it was unclear) but I will NOT go for 2 subs, just 1 and I will go for bookshelves, no floors.
Then I'd look at one of those 3 MTM bookshelves I listed.

And for a single sub I'd look at the Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV12R for your room.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Then I'd look at one of those 3 MTM bookshelves I listed.

And for a single sub I'd look at the Hsu VTF-2 or Rythmik LV12R for your room.
I live in Europe so I do not have access to HSU, nor any of those bookshelves you listed, sadly.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:
I live in Europe so I do not have access to HSU, nor any of those bookshelves you listed, sadly.
BK Electronics has excellent subs and they ship to the EU so perhaps look at them as well as the SVS.

http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

XTZ makes great speakers and subwoofers.

https://www.xtz.se/

Every speaker I've auditioned at home that WhatHiFi has reviewed has reflected my own personal experience so here's their list of what to consider; some great choices on there.

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/h...hi-fi-speakers

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
ok, then in Europe I would look at Q Acoustics, Focal, and JBL. If you like KEF, the Q series is all you need for HT, no point in paying extra for the R series or LS50 unless music will be at least 30-50% of your usage.

SVS PB1000 is probably going to be your best bet for HT usage, don't know how BK compares to them.

post #8 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ok, then in Europe I would look at Q Acoustics, Focal, and JBL. If you like KEF, the Q series is all you need for HT, no point in paying extra for the R series or LS50 unless music will be at least 30-50% of your usage.

SVS PB1000 is probably going to be your best bet for HT usage, don't know how BK compares to them.

Thanks.

Music will probably be 30% of my usage, both from CDs and concert dvds/bds.

I'll make sure to check out for QA, Focal and JBL offers here. QA only offers smaller $200-300 bookshelves here, tho.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-29-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Music will probably be 30% of my usage, both from CDs and concert dvds/bds.

I'll make sure to check out for QA, Focal and JBL offers here. QA only offers smaller $200-300 bookshelves here, tho.
Your local dealers don't carry the QA Concept 20 speaker? That's too bad. I home auditioned both the C20 and the 3020...unless you play extremely loud without a subwoofer, the 3020 actually holds its own against the more expensive C20.

If you're seeking maximum "crystal clear" detail though, the Focals might be the best choice.

post #10 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Your local dealers don't carry the QA Concept 20 speaker? That's too bad. I home auditioned both the C20 and the 3020...unless you play extremely loud without a subwoofer, the 3020 actually holds its own against the more expensive C20.

If you're seeking maximum "crystal clear" detail though, the Focals might be the best choice.
Actually, my bad, they do carry the QA 20 speakers.

How are they? They look pretty small to me (haven't checked measurements). How would they compare to the Klipsch RP-280 you think? They are both priced pretty similarly here. The KEF speakers are probably better but twice as expensive so the C20 and RP-280 would be the comparison in this case in their price range.

I also have a variety of speakers available at the reseller from Triangle. The speakers I've heard from them (Comete or Titus, don't remember) are very clear, maybe even clearer than the Klipsch and sounds overall pretty good but they might be a bit too sharp and comes at you more like a knife.

Last edited by Colonel Mustard; 08-30-2017 at 12:45 AM.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:

How are they? They look pretty small to me (haven't checked measurements). How would they compare to the Klipsch RP-280 you think? They are both priced pretty similarly here. The KEF speakers are probably better but twice as expensive so the C20 and RP-280 would be the comparison in this case in their price range.

I also have a variety of speakers available at the reseller from Triangle. The speakers I've heard from them (Comete or Titus, don't remember) are very clear, maybe even clearer than the Klipsch and sounds overall pretty good but they might be a bit too sharp and comes at you more like a knife.
Geez, the C20 and RP280 are similarly priced where you are??? That's insane, the RP280 is a huge tower that goes for $1200/pair in the US, vs $500/pair for the C20. Or did you mean the RP160?

Yes I've heard Triangle speakers too and wondered the exact same thing. Many people don't realize that a speaker that sounds impressive during the first 5-10 minutes of listening in a shop might drill a hole into your head after prolonged exposure at home, especially since many shops have acoustically treated listening rooms while most people's rooms at home are untreated with lots of hard reflective surfaces that only magnify any excess treble energy.

Since 80-90% of my usage is music and I like to listen for hours at a time, I have found that "warm" speakers (Wharfedales) work best for me but I use a deliberately mismatched HT-oriented center speaker with them when watching movies.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
I've had a thread up previously but that one was a bit messy, including receivers and what not so I figured I create a new to find out what I need to look for in speakers and a sub.

As far as sub goes, I do not want a large one, I want a smaller one but I do not wish make it so small that the sub impact is negligible with an already good pair of speakers. I realize that size is not everything, yet people here seem to recommend always the bigger and and most clunky subs out there. You guys keep raving about SVS, so are the only reseller here doing as well so I am looking at primarily the PB-1000? Is that enough for my living room? Heavy bass does not excite me at all but I don't want to be lacking. That is why I am consider the smaller sub but the R300s that could probably help the sub out the most as far as bass goes between the suggested speakers (as far as I have heard). Quite frankly, PB-1000 is a bit big as well but if it absolutely destroys other smaller options then I might just have to swallow it and erase the idea from my brain that I will have a bulldozer in my living room.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm listening.

I went through the same dilemma a few months back. Reviewed the same speakers except SVS book shelf speakers. As for as the quality is concerned I will rate ls50 the best. It makes you feel that you are really there in front of the singer. No other speaker can do that as well. But there are two limitations. 1. Can not play them very loud as for a dance party for 50 people and 2. Must have a sub below 90 Hz.

I bought LS50 and SVS sub. Very happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Colonel Mustard likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Check out reviews in stereophile and whathifi and multiple other publications for ls50.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8585 Post(s)
Liked: 5784
Quote:

No need to get towers if you are going to use a subwoofer.

RP160s with the same tweeter as the RP280 would be more than enough.

If you have a very bright/reflective room the Q Acoustics would be a better choice than the Klipsch but if your room has carpeting, drapes etc. the Klipsch should work very well.

Geoff A. J., California
post #15 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Geez, the C20 and RP280 are similarly priced where you are??? That's insane, the RP280 is a huge tower that goes for $1200/pair in the US, vs $500/pair for the C20. Or did you mean the RP160?

Yes I've heard Triangle speakers too and wondered the exact same thing. Many people don't realize that a speaker that sounds impressive during the first 5-10 minutes of listening in a shop might drill a hole into your head after prolonged exposure at home, especially since many shops have acoustically treated listening rooms while most people's rooms at home are untreated with lots of hard reflective surfaces that only magnify any excess treble energy.

Since 80-90% of my usage is music and I like to listen for hours at a time, I have found that "warm" speakers (Wharfedales) work best for me but I use a deliberately mismatched HT-oriented center speaker with them when watching movies.
My bad, yes, the RP-160M.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
My bad, yes, the RP-160M.
Personally I'd lean towards the Concept 20 if you want a versatile speaker that can do both HT and music, and have much less risk of treble brightness although the Klipsch RP series by most accounts has overcome that problem.

The C20s have no lack of detail, but it's presented in an open, relaxed way rather than a more aggressive or forward presentation. I'd expect the RP160 to be more compelling for HT usage, and the C20s to be more enjoyable for long hours of music listening.
gajCA and Colonel Mustard like this.

post #17 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I went through the same dilemma a few months back. Reviewed the same speakers except SVS book shelf speakers. As for as the quality is concerned I will rate ls50 the best. It makes you feel that you are really there in front of the singer. No other speaker can do that as well. But there are two limitations. 1. Can not play them very loud as for a dance party for 50 people and 2. Must have a sub below 90 Hz.

I bought LS50 and SVS sub. Very happy.

Thanks for your input. You use your speakers and sub for music exclusively or are they a part of your home theater?

Last edited by Colonel Mustard; 08-30-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input. You use your speakers and sub for music exclusively or are they a part of your home theater?
Both. The rear channels are served by old Allison CD7 speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page