Only the beautiful (on-wall speakers) need apply! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Only the beautiful (on-wall speakers) need apply!

I want to get speakers for my livingroom. They must look good (priority no.1).

I would also like it if they sounded good as well. They will be used primarily for TV/Movies, but also for music. 75/25 split.

The TV (55" or 65" max) and speakers will be mounted onto a wood paneled wall, so in-wall options are not possible. Therefore, they need to look good. There will be a small shelve at the bottom to house electronics.

Attached is an example of the wood paneled wall (ours will be much darker and nicer ).

The style of the room will be contemporary, but not minimalist. Speakers can be discrete or stylised, but must be good looking and smaller than the TV height (32" / 82cm)

I have a separate home theatre in progress, so I'm not looking to hit reference spl in the living room. 70db at 10ft (3m) should be enough.

Budget is around $1,000 per speaker. Will consider stereo or LCR. Can go higher budget if the speakers look the part and perform.

So, what are the best looking on-wall speakers out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked: 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsalaing View Post
Available in several colors.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893R22...ut.html?tp=186
Uppsalaing likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3575 Post(s)
Liked: 3387
Check out Totem ....

Also, Triad can do custom finishes ...
Uppsalaing likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2864 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
I can't speak for best-looking (and that is subjective anyway), although if I had to pick on-wall, I'd probably consider these:

Canton Vento:

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications
Uppsalaing likes this.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 09-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.
post #5 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Sonus faber Venere Wall in Wood finish.

Uppsalaing and Newbie789 like this.

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|B&W DB4S|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E|Monitor Audio Silver RX1|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #6 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3316
Kef T-series.
https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/h.../t-series.html
Uppsalaing likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Contact Triad, they can build your speakers with the custom finish that you desire
https://www.triadspeakers.com/produc...ow-bronze-lcr/
Uppsalaing likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #8 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

good suggestions so far

Thanks guys... Some nice suggestions...

@Doe Doe

I like the Cantons, they remind me a bit of the much more expensive Dali on-wall speakers.

I like that form.

@pase22

The Kef 301 would work well since they look like a LCD TV and as a bonus are pretty cost effective and easy to drive with my livingroom receiver.

They are worryingly thin though, would they sound ok as just a pair?

@gajCA & @fatuglyguy

i'm not sure the Monitor Audio would fit with our decor, but I think the Sonus Faber Vanere could work in black.

@zieglj01 & @RayGuy

Triad is an option. I'll call to see if they can match the samples.

Totem's website keeps crashing my browser. I'll have to check that when I get to my computer.

Some interesting options so far... as a side question, do these suggested speakers sound good?

The major consideration is still looks, but I had to ask
post #9 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The major consideration is still looks, but I had to ask
*shrugs unknowingly*

I never heard on-wall speakers before, beats me. But the super thin types scare me too, hence why I picked the canton vento.... should sound halfway decent I'd think & they normally are much more expensive (be aware the link I provided is a refurb, although assume it comes with some sort of warranty, so probably doesn't matter). Although no idea what you'd use for a center in that case. Unless you could fit a vento full-size center on your shelf.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #10 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 3316
You would need a sub with the Kef, no doubt. A sub is never a bad idea with any type of bookshelf speakers, especially for HT.
Uppsalaing likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Centre, sub & receiver?

I'm hoping to get away with not needing a centre if I go with the Canton/Sonus faber, etc... but I could probably make the KEF t301 work with a centre.

Not sure I can fit a subwoofer in the room.

I would probably have to buy an integrated amp to drive the 4 ohm speakers (Canton & Triad). The Sonus Faber should work as it is 6 ohms and I prefer it's looks (Yamaha RX-383 manual specs show 6 ohms for the euro model, which I have). The KEF seems good value as it is cheaper and i wouldn't need to upgrade my receiver (it's 8ohms).

Another option is the ATC HTS7, but they're not good looking.

I'll see what the interior designer and family think in terms of looks and then will weight the costs and take into account any electronics.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

Feel free to suggest other speakers in the mean time.
post #12 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would probably have to buy an integrated amp to drive the 4 ohm speakers (Canton & Triad). .
I'm not sure if the canton is actually 4 ohms. Canton lists 4-8 ohms for seemingly every single speaker they sell. They even list it on dinky little speakers that pretty much any receiver can handle.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #13 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I have the Sonus Faber domus on wall gloss black very nice. There are also some Vienna acoustic with a mtm layout if you want something a bit larger.
Uppsalaing likes this.

Cxa5100, Emotiva upa1 x3, primare a30. 5 primare spa21 two channel pre, Sonus Faber toy towers front Toy center, concerto atmos, Totem mite surround Audiocontrol epicenter, Velodyne splr8, little bear tube pre, pbj, kkobra, outlaw 850
post #14 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 PM

http://www.tmraudio.com/product/ew-412#&ui-state=dialog
Uppsalaing likes this.

Cxa5100, Emotiva upa1 x3, primare a30. 5 primare spa21 two channel pre, Sonus Faber toy towers front Toy center, concerto atmos, Totem mite surround Audiocontrol epicenter, Velodyne splr8, little bear tube pre, pbj, kkobra, outlaw 850
post #15 of 40 Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Thanks guys... Some nice suggestions...

i'm not sure the Monitor Audio would fit with our decor, but I think the Sonus Faber Vanere could work in black.

The Venere Wall are definitely a great choice, and beautiful to look at too. I have a pair of them in black collecting dust in my garage (picked them up with the intention of moving my SF Toys into the 5.1 system and using them as rears). When I got them, I hooked them up as fronts in my room for a few hours and I came away pretty impressed. Nice rich sound, great midbass and a healthy amount of bass considering the cabinet. They are rather large and somewhat heavy, but make up for the larger size by being sexy. They sound much fuller than thin on-wall "panel" speakers. In fact, I thought they sounded better than the Venere 1.5 bookshelf. They still need a sub to sound their best.
Uppsalaing likes this.

film Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Liuto, Smart Center, Venere Wall|B&W DB4S|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205|UB820
2ch Sonus faber Toy|REL S/5|Sony TA-A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500 + Schiit Mani|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 55X930E|Monitor Audio Silver RX1|Marantz NR1508|Panasonic UB900
post #16 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

@Doe Doe

Thanks for the tip. I would double check the specs for the other speakers as well.

@Bplaser

Those are some good looking speakers! But, unfortunately I won't be able to use them as you'll read in my next post.

@fatuglyguy

Get them out of the garage! Speakers need to be played, especially the good ones
post #17 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Update: Room colour and other options

Update time...

So the wooden panels are actually going to be light coloured (a light beige) and will be a slightly different shade to the wallpaper. So that gets rid of most options, especially the better looking ones , but makes the decision easier.

I showed the interior designer the speakers on this thread and a few other options. She didn't like the ones with long vertical lines as they'd interfere with the vertical pattern of the panels. She prefers putting the speakers on the floating shelf below the screen, or mounted in contact with the screen in the case of a soundbar or side-mounted type speaker.

So, current options are:

• KEF t301/t101 on short desktop stands (centre placed horizontally), sitting on the shelf below the TV
  • 3 other good looking, but small bookshelf speakers on the shelf. Options?
  • If it works, maybe a Bang & Olufsen Beosound 35 on the shelf (it has optical connection) https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/coll...ms/beosound-35

Thoughts?

Last edited by Uppsalaing; 09-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.
post #18 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
  • 3 other good looking, but small bookshelf speakers on the shelf. Options?
How small is small enough? This size?
https://www.qacoustics.com/bookshelf...aker-pair.html

or something like these:
https://rslspeakers.com/products/cg3-bookshelf-speaker/

or this level of smallness?

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ach-new/1.html

(focal make onwall too, but probably won't match your walls)
Uppsalaing likes this.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 09-17-2017 at 11:33 AM.
post #19 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
Quote:
Update time...

Thoughts?
I would still look at Canton -- they make good stuff
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...s-white/1.html
Uppsalaing likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #20 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I'll build you 5 of these but you will need some strong walls to hold them up.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #21 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
I want to get speakers for my livingroom. They must look good (priority no.1).

Speakers can be discrete or stylised, but must be good looking and smaller than the TV height (32" / 82cm)

I have a separate home theatre in progress, so I'm not looking to hit reference spl in the living room. 70db at 10ft (3m) should be enough.

Budget is around $1,000 per speaker. Will consider stereo or LCR. Can go higher budget if the speakers look the part and perform.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, and while there might be sexier speakers, you might want to consider the Totem Acoustic Tribe series. Tribe I and II will meet your 32" requirement. Tribe I will meet your budget, but I'd spend the extra for the Tribe II, be over your $1,000 by a few hundred, but worth it. Both are 6 Ohm. And honestly, I'd do a center. Tribe III will have much better bass performance and nicer finishes, but pushing twice your budget and a little big for your L/R at 36", so bigger TV......

Quote:
Not sure I can fit a subwoofer in the room.
Where there is a will, there is a way. You could get a bit unconventional and consider an in-ceiling sub. Will not perform as well, and might be challenging to install, but clearly takes up no space in the room, and is better than no subwoofer. Just a thought....

Quote:
I'll see what the interior designer and family think in terms of looks and then will weight the costs and take into account any electronics.
Family yes, interior designer maybe. It's your house, not hers. If you think it looks good, that's all that matters.

Quote:
Update time...

So the wooden panels are actually going to be light coloured (a light beige) and will be a slightly different shade to the wallpaper. So that gets rid of most options, especially the better looking ones , but makes the decision easier.

I showed the interior designer the speakers on this thread and a few other options. She didn't like the ones with long vertical lines as they'd interfere with the vertical pattern of the panels. She prefers putting the speakers on the floating shelf below the screen, or mounted in contact with the screen in the case of a soundbar or side-mounted type speaker.

Thoughts?
Yes, fire the interior designer. These people are not audio people. Sure, listen to their suggestions - and I know you're doing an HT room, but no excuse for settling for sub-par based on the thoughts of an ID. Like I said, if YOU and family like it, who cares what the ID thinks? I don't like the vertical wood panels, I'd get rid of those, problem solved.... POINT: you should also not care about my aesthetic opinions. It's not what we or she prefers. Let the family make the decision.
Uppsalaing likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #22 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

It seems i'll have to go with one of the soundbar type speakers as I won't be able to run wire along the shelf and they don't want speakers mounted to the side of the TV as that would ruin their fancy wood panel

It's ok. We have another room that will be the proper home theatre.

So, out of these soundbar types, do you think I should go with the triad, the B&O, or something else?
post #23 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

@Jonas2

I've just taken a look at the Totem. Nice, but I won't be able to mount those on either side of the TV, design-wise.

To be honest, I'm trying to keep the room less TV dominant, that's why we're thinking 55" (max) sized tv and such. I just want the sound to be decent... or at least half decent

The interior designer is a family member and lives here, so her vote counts as two

I'll try to squeese a small sub in the room somewhere, so it's not a hard "no" on that idea.

@jgreatorex

Our walls can handle them (cinderblock), but I'm not sure our livingroom could ... also, what are they?!
post #24 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
https://www.goldenear.com/products/s...nema3d?gktab=2

This is a passive 3.0 soundbar that needs an AVR to power it. The bonus is that you can add in-ceiling channels that would be invisible. I would wire for 4 in-ceiling speakers, even if you don't install them yet.
Uppsalaing likes this.
post #25 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
@Jonas2

I've just taken a look at the Totem. Nice, but I won't be able to mount those on either side of the TV, design-wise.

To be honest, I'm trying to keep the room less TV dominant, that's why we're thinking 55" (max) sized tv and such. I just want the sound to be decent... or at least half decent

The interior designer is a family member and lives here, so her vote counts as two

I'll try to squeese a small sub in the room somewhere, so it's not a hard "no" on that idea.

@jgreatorex

Our walls can handle them (cinderblock), but I'm not sure our livingroom could ... also, what are they?!
Maybe an end table sub that some here have built.
Uppsalaing likes this.

post #26 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
@Jonas2

WHOOPSS!! Sorry, didn't mean to bag on your relative the ID! So, yes - absolutely that matters! Here is one other option you can consider:

http://www.leonspeakers.com/

These guys actually custom build to your display, so you can side mount, or bottom mount.
Uppsalaing likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #27 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
WHOOPSS!! Sorry, didn't mean to bag on your relative the ID! So, yes - absolutely that matters! Here is one other option you can consider:

http://www.leonspeakers.com/

These guys actually custom build to your display, so you can side mount, or bottom mount.
Ok those should suit any design you can dream up and some of the models use the Morel drivers very nice and a slim sub as well. Only thing missing is the pricing lol
Uppsalaing likes this.

post #28 of 40 Old 09-17-2017, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3575 Post(s)
Liked: 3387
Three channel passive soundbars can be obtained from Triad, James, Golden Ear, Monitor Audio, Episode, PSB, to name just a few. If looks are important, Triad allows you to specify the exact length of the soundbar (to match the TV) and the finish (to match your decor or the TV).
post #29 of 40 Old 09-18-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
@Jonas2

@jgreatorex

@Jonas2

It is a 8 channel Bluetooth speaker with a total of 14 speakers 12 are using 6 channels with crossovers for tweeters.

It has a 10" ported subwoofer and 2x 1200 watt amps. There is also a horn tweeters hidden in the center. The box on the top houses a wireless fast charger.

An Audtiotec-Fischer Helix DSP manages the Bluetooth and frequency to each of the speakers.

Uppsalaing likes this.
post #30 of 40 Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
@Jonas2

@jgreatorex

Sorry, just gave you the specs of the wrong speaker. The specs are for the speaker in this attached picture.

Uppsalaing likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page