Dual VTF 2 MK5, or one VTF-3 MK5 / FV15HP subwoofer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 4 Post By Treozen
  • 2 Post By Treozen
  • 2 Post By Treozen

post #1 of 17 Old 10-06-2017, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Arrow Dual VTF 2 MK5, or one VTF-3 MK5 / FV15HP subwoofer?

Hello all -

After 15 years, I am finally going to get rid of my Sony speaks I bought for $400 (for all of them) from Video Only. Its embarrassing really, since I had a mostly dedicated theater room, 100" screen, Epson 8500UB (which was pretty slick at the time) and a decent AVR......but speakers that were, well, sort of bad. For years now, I've wanted to pick up an Ascend Acoustics system and now that I'm upgrading the entire theater experience, I'm finally going to get new speakers.

I'm going to get Ascend's CMT-340 Center, Left and Right, and use the CBM-170 for the other channels in a 7.2 set-up. I'm pretty set on the Ascend system, but I'm not sure what I want or need for a subwoofer - you could of course ask what I'm using now, and I'd have to tell you that I use two 12' subs - a JVC and some other black box that I got for free (the name fell off of it, so I've no idea what it is) but you won't ask that question, because it would be doubly embarrassing to answer ;-)

I've been thinking that the HSU VTF 2 MK5 ($539) may work, perhaps two of them, OR maybe one VTF-3 MK5 ($769). At the upper end (slightly over) of my comfort level budget-wise would be the FV15HP $1,200 (which I think is an Ascend Acoustics box). My thought is that two of the VTF 2 Mk5 units might be a better choice than a single unit, but I'm not sure, and there may be other valid choices as well.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions - room details if it helps:

- 16 X 16 room, 7ft ceiling, 1800 cubic feet +/-
- Dedicated theater, its a basement room buried in the earth to about 5 ft on two sides .
- Sealed room to the extent that there is only one set of double doors leading out, and a very small open closet in the wall opposite the screen.

Thanks,
Allan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-06-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked: 2274
I would go for two subs, as a 16 x 16 room will naturally produce peaks and nulls. Just be thankful you do not have 8' ceilings!
sk373 likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 948
I also vote for dual VTF2-MK5's in your room. More than ample output for your size room, and with proper setup, smoother response than a single sub. What AVR are u running?

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8481 Post(s)
Liked: 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treozen View Post
Hello all -

After 15 years, I am finally going to get rid of my Sony speaks I bought for $400 (for all of them) from Video Only. Its embarrassing really, since I had a mostly dedicated theater room, 100" screen, Epson 8500UB (which was pretty slick at the time) and a decent AVR......but speakers that were, well, sort of bad. For years now, I've wanted to pick up an Ascend Acoustics system and now that I'm upgrading the entire theater experience, I'm finally going to get new speakers.

I'm going to get Ascend's CMT-340 Center, Left and Right, and use the CBM-170 for the other channels in a 7.2 set-up. I'm pretty set on the Ascend system, but I'm not sure what I want or need for a subwoofer - you could of course ask what I'm using now, and I'd have to tell you that I use two 12' subs - a JVC and some other black box that I got for free (the name fell off of it, so I've no idea what it is) but you won't ask that question, because it would be doubly embarrassing to answer ;-)

I've been thinking that the HSU VTF 2 MK5 ($539) may work, perhaps two of them, OR maybe one VTF-3 MK5 ($769). At the upper end (slightly over) of my comfort level budget-wise would be the FV15HP $1,200 (which I think is an Ascend Acoustics box). My thought is that two of the VTF 2 Mk5 units might be a better choice than a single unit, but I'm not sure, and there may be other valid choices as well.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and suggestions - room details if it helps:

- 16 X 16 room, 7ft ceiling, 1800 cubic feet +/-
- Dedicated theater, its a basement room buried in the earth to about 5 ft on two sides .
- Sealed room to the extent that there is only one set of double doors leading out, and a very small open closet in the wall opposite the screen.

Thanks,
Allan.
If it were me I'd get dual Rhythmik LV12rs simply because I've owned servo subs since the mid 90s and love how they work.

However, dual HsU VTF2s would also be a fine choice.

If you had a receiver that had EQ for the subs then I might go with the single larger sub as the EQ really does help with placement in less than ideal locations.

I have a single 15" sub in my 200 sq/ft HT room but it does have built in EQ.

Without any EQ I'd definitely recommend two over one.

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
I also vote for dual VTF2-MK5's in your room. More than ample output for your size room, and with proper setup, smoother response than a single sub. What AVR are u running?
I'm replacing my older Yamaha with either Denon X3300W or 4300H. I had been leaning toward the X3300W but the 4300H seems to offer more features and is only $200 more - probably worth it to give myself some options - 7.1.2 Atmos, etc, if I decide to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

However, dual HsU VTF2s would also be a fine choice.

If you had a receiver that had EQ for the subs then I might go with the single larger sub as the EQ really does help with placement in less than ideal locations.

Without any EQ I'd definitely recommend two over one.
I'm not sure what sort of Sub controls either Denon AVR offers - haven't actually pulled the trigger yet. I like the idea of 2 subs, I just want to make sure whatever I get will give a nice bass - most of my movies feature some sort of space ship, lol, and a Star Destroyer just doesn't sound very mean if it barely hums as it flies overhead. I don't need to rattle the walls three towns over, but I 'd like the bass to be present when called for.

Allan.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what sort of Sub controls either Denon AVR offers - haven't actually pulled the trigger yet. I like the idea of 2 subs, I just want to make sure whatever I get will give a nice bass - most of my movies feature some sort of space ship, lol, and a Star Destroyer just doesn't sound very mean if it barely hums as it flies overhead. I don't need to rattle the walls three towns over, but I 'd like the bass to be present when called for.

Allan.
Both of those very nice Denons EQ the sub.

If you are able to put a single sub near your front three the larger might be the way to go BUT be aware that they are HUGE, not that the VTF2 is small by any means.

So make a cardboard mockup of the larger sub as that might be the deciding factor right there.

I'm not sure you can go wrong whichever way you decide to be honest as your room is hardly huge.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3002 Post(s)
Liked: 2495
Quote:
I'm replacing my older Yamaha with either Denon X3300W or 4300H. I had been leaning toward the X3300W but the 4300H seems to offer more features and is only $200 more - probably worth it to give myself some options - 7.1.2 Atmos, etc, if I decide to try that.

Allan.
Both the X-3300 and 4300H come equipped with audyssey XT32 which can eq dual subs. If budget permits without compromising sub choice, go with the 4300H which would allow you to go 5.1.4 without an additional amp.

Going with dual HSU subs will definately enhance your listening enjoyment. If properly setup you won't hear it 3 towns over.....maybe only 2 or 3 blocks.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Both of those very nice Denons EQ the sub.

I'm not sure you can go wrong whichever way you decide
Trigger pulled - just ordered up 2 VTF 2 MK5 subs. Thanks all for the advice and feedback, now off to order my speakers from Ascend.

Quote:
to be honest as your room is hardly huge.
True, although coming from my old space, which was essentially a 13 X 9 section of a spare bedroom, its positively gargantuan!

Allan.
Zorba922, gajCA, sk373 and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:

Allan.
I have the 4300H--I like it very much. It will definitely make good use of two subs! 😊

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #10 of 17 Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Trigger pulled - just ordered up 2 VTF 2 MK5 subs. Thanks all for the advice and feedback, now off to order my speakers from Ascend.

True, although coming from my old space, which was essentially a 13 X 9 section of a spare bedroom, its positively gargantuan!

Allan.
Excellent; looking forward to your impressions.

Geoff A. J., California
post #11 of 17 Old 02-10-2018, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Allan.

How is your new setup working out for you? Your choice in subs and speakers is one of the many combinations I'm debating on right now. (19x16 HT)
post #12 of 17 Old 02-10-2018, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd17 View Post
How is your new setup working out for you? Your choice in subs and speakers is one of the many combinations I'm debating on right now. (19x16 HT)
Working well! I am a fan of the speakers and subs. I'm not an audio expert, but there is nothing about the mix of speakers and subs that in any way sounds off, everything seems to fit nice a tight, if that makes sense. I' m not sure I really needed 2 subs, using the set-up, (Audyssey?) I have both subs rather low volume wise versus their full potential and I'm quite sure one could fill the space with room left. The only thing I can't speak to is the advantage of two opposing subs in a mostly square room - I bought two because I have an exactly square room, and everything sounds great, but I can't specifically say its a must - theory suggests it is, I guess I'd say I have no reason to dispute it.

Overall, I waited years to get the ascend speakers, and they really sound great. I did some manual adjusting after the Audyssey set up to get it to my taste, and and very pleased with the results. My speakers are not precisely optimal in position, but very close, and everything still sounds great - its a very forgiving system I think - quality and great sound, but also gives you a little flexibility in placement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171218_121719.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2359056  
jjackkrash and shivaji like this.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-10-2018, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Working well! I am a fan of the speakers and subs. I'm not an audio expert, but there is nothing about the mix of speakers and subs that in any way sounds off, everything seems to fit nice a tight, if that makes sense. I' m not sure I really needed 2 subs, using the set-up, (Audyssey?) I have both subs rather low volume wise versus their full potential and I'm quite sure one could fill the space with room left. The only thing I can't speak to is the advantage of two opposing subs in a mostly square room - I bought two because I have an exactly square room, and everything sounds great, but I can't specifically say its a must - theory suggests it is, I guess I'd say I have no reason to dispute it.
And at low volume, how do the dual vtf 2 MK5's sound, do you still get a lot of vibration/rumbling in your chest, or is more subtle?
post #14 of 17 Old 02-10-2018, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd17 View Post
And at low volume, how do the dual vtf 2 MK5's sound, do you still get a lot of vibration/rumbling in your chest, or is more subtle?
I'd say its satisfying. I adjusted one a little differently than the other to suit the room and my liking, and spent quite some time with different movies. Before this system, I had tended toward rumbling bass that would rattle the walls three blocks over, but looking back, I think it was just a lot of muddy noise. They way I have things set now, I still get that good bass sound, but without getting rattly and fuzzy - best terms I can think of. The VTF2 MK5's are more refined, so I feel as though you get a deep base, but without feeling like you've over extending the units. All that said, if I ever wanted to shake the neighbors awake, and have the bass rip the timbers from my walls, I have no doubt the VTF2 MK5's are capable. To use "industry" terms, the base sounds clean, crisp and and focused, even at low levels. I don't feel like I get a rumbling in my chest per say, but that's more because the VTF2 MK5's have changed my idea of what bass should be, I think. Its worth mentioning that the VTF2 MK5's can be dual ported, single ported or not ported at all - there is a chart that will tell you how to set up the unit and which ports to block to get what sort of "bass" you are looking for, and then you can fine-tune that with your receiver - so I feel pretty confident that you'd be able to get the sound and feel you want, you may even find that you want something different once you see what the units can do.

Again, not an expert and I have limited experience with subs, but I'm well-pleased with the VTF2 MK5's and although I may not know everything about audio, I do know what I don't like, and the VTF2 MK5's are great in my opinion.
Zorba922 and sigpig like this.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-10-2018, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6862 Post(s)
Liked: 5134
Quote:
Overall, I waited years to get the ascend speakers, and they really sound great. I did some manual adjusting after the Audyssey set up to get it to my taste, and and very pleased with the results. My speakers are not precisely optimal in position, but very close, and everything still sounds great - its a very forgiving system I think - quality and great sound, but also gives you a little flexibility in placement.
Very nice setup! I used to have an LCR of the 340s too, fond memories of them. Ascend's numbered speakers, the 200/170/340 are still some of the best bang for the buck speakers around.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #16 of 17 Old 09-10-2018, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I'd say its satisfying. I adjusted one a little differently than the other to suit the room and my liking, and spent quite some time with different movies. Before this system, I had tended toward rumbling bass that would rattle the walls three blocks over, but looking back, I think it was just a lot of muddy noise. They way I have things set now, I still get that good bass sound, but without getting rattly and fuzzy - best terms I can think of. The VTF2 MK5's are more refined, so I feel as though you get a deep base, but without feeling like you've over extending the units. All that said, if I ever wanted to shake the neighbors awake, and have the bass rip the timbers from my walls, I have no doubt the VTF2 MK5's are capable. To use "industry" terms, the base sounds clean, crisp and and focused, even at low levels. I don't feel like I get a rumbling in my chest per say, but that's more because the VTF2 MK5's have changed my idea of what bass should be, I think. Its worth mentioning that the VTF2 MK5's can be dual ported, single ported or not ported at all - there is a chart that will tell you how to set up the unit and which ports to block to get what sort of "bass" you are looking for, and then you can fine-tune that with your receiver - so I feel pretty confident that you'd be able to get the sound and feel you want, you may even find that you want something different once you see what the units can do.

Again, not an expert and I have limited experience with subs, but I'm well-pleased with the VTF2 MK5's and although I may not know everything about audio, I do know what I don't like, and the VTF2 MK5's are great in my opinion.
I am currently considering two VTF2 MK5's as well, along with the Rythmik LVX and SVS PB-2000. The latter two are more expensive so I'm leaning toward Hsu right now. I have a relatively small, square room, ~1800 ft3, so even those seem like they'll be overkill, however I definitely want visceral chest hitting bass. It's been several months now since your purchase - any other insights?

Yamaha TSR-7790
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5
Panasonic AE8000U
Polk SDA SRS 3.1TL, Polk center & surrounds, DefTech Subs
...and a bunch of other stuff
post #17 of 17 Old 09-24-2018, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was going for two VTF 15H but I'd like the smaller VTF2 MK5's if they would work just as well in my room. Save me a bundle. My room is about 2000 cu ft, 13x19x7.7 high. I'm sure the volume would be fine but I see the low freq is a couple points higher on the 12's than the 15's, not that it would even be noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page