Ceiling hangable Atmos speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
2ms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ceiling hangable Atmos speakers?

I have very high ceilings in which it wouldn’t make sense to install in-ceiling speakers and that are also probably too high to reflect off of from Atmos speakers below.

Does anyone know of some nice options in hangable speakers that I might hang down in a manner much like you might see I already hang my ceiling lights from?

Performance comes first but looks is also somewhat of an issue as I would prefer to find something that wouldn't clash too much with the rest of the room.

Please see attached image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (1).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	2302360  

Last edited by 2ms; 10-21-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ms View Post
I have very high ceilings in which it wouldn’t make sense to install in-ceiling speakers and that are also probably too high to reflect off of from Atmos speakers designed to reflect off from down below.

Does anyone know of some nice options in hangable speakers that I might hang down in a manner much like you might see I already hang my ceiling lights from?

Performance comes first but looks is also somewhat of an issue as I would prefer to find something that wouldn't clash too much with the rest of the room.
SVS Prime Elevation. Link https://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-elevation
post #3 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
2ms

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn’t know about those. But I really literally mean speakers that you can hang from a high ceiling. Maybe the term for them is “pendant” speakers. The only ones I’ve been able to find are low-budget and dubious quality. My listening area does not have a wall on one side so I really need ceiling hang-able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I didn’t know about those. But I really literally mean speakers that you can hang from a high ceiling. Maybe the term for them is “pendant” speakers. The only ones I’ve been able to find are low-budget and dubious quality. My listening area does not have a wall on one side so I really need ceiling hang-able.
I am actually going to install on ceiling Klipsch CP-6 outdoor speakers (white). I tell you this only because I have seen white ones on the ground. Everyway, they can be painted. To hang them coming down from the ceiling you would have to fix their support on a rigid heavy piece of wood or plastic/transparent methacrylate (this last material could be visually unobtrusive).
You have to study also acoustic coherence with other speakers on the ground
Regards
Alessandro

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Maybe the ones here, esp the 65 and 67:
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/i...trol-60-series

Not sure how good they sound (nor seen 3rd party measurements)

post #6 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
2ms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifisound View Post
Maybe the ones here, esp the 65 and 67:
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/i...trol-60-series

Not sure how good they sound (nor seen 3rd party measurements)
That's more like it! Didn't know about those. Wonder how they sound. I guess their looks could pass, though it would be preferable to get something as close to spherical as possible. Size of sphere doesn't matter to me, just that the shape is generally congruent to the lamps that I have/are typical for these kinds of ceilings.

Here's another I've found that I also don't know anything about how good they actually sound: http://www.elipson.com/gb/spherical-...-quantity-unit. They offer hanging ceiling mounts for it.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-21-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt9450 View Post
Quote:

From above quote, they would work great since they come with a ceiling mount.
All you need to do is think outside the box. For the above, you hang mounting board with small chains or any other type that would go with your décor. Then mount the speaker directly on the board, this way you can have them at the height of your preference.

This could work with any speaker, but may require more tweaking and thinking on how to use some chains or wires...

Just something to think about, when you try to go to sleep

Ray
post #8 of 13 Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cambridge Minx Min 12 would do the trick. They come in white and are as compact as can be.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-22-2017, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
I am using the SVS Prime Satellite speakers for my Atmos setup. The ceiling mounts they sell work very well for my ceiling. I was able to adjust the angle of the speaker. I chose these speakers since because they are rated up to 150 watts and the price was right! My main speakers are Energy Veritas 2.4's. The SVS Primes go well with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SVS Satelite.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2302970  
post #10 of 13 Old 10-22-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
I have very high ceilings in which it wouldn’t make sense to install in-ceiling speakers and that are also probably too high to reflect off of from Atmos speakers below.

Please see attached image
I know you really don't want to do this but thought I'd address your original concern....
Those ceilings aren't too high for actual in-ceiling speakers (just wrong for the reflective solution) a good efficient in-ceiling with an aimable tweeter (for the vaulted issue) would actually work just fine and give you the cleanest look.
Just wanted you to be aware of this.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
post #11 of 13 Old 10-22-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Tannoy has some ... most are no-name brands.

http://www.audioholics.com/outdoor-s...endant-speaker

EDIT: Link fixed ...

Last edited by RayGuy; 12-21-2017 at 04:29 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
i don't see why you can't use chain . or better yet ceiling fan down rods and supports just a thought .
post #13 of 13 Old 12-21-2017, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TOA Electronics have what they call Interior Design Speakers with some very nice looking "pendant" units; they look like lamps.

http://www.toaelectronics.com/produc...esign-speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page