Speaker selection for a 20*15 dedicated HT room in basement - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 91 Old 03-01-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8800 Post(s)
Liked: 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharat6669 View Post
I some how don’t like klipsch since I feel they sound loud highs. Ok I hear 2 options then

1) if I go bookshelves then it’s hsu package with may be Sanus stands

2) if towers then what are my brand options?

I can be flexible on budget to get the best quality speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, towers are a tough one due to the inability to easily try and return.

My suggestion when investing a ton of money would be to try Best Buy brands BUT also consider Crutchfield with their $10/box return on bookshelves within 60 days.

If I couldn't find what I wanted in a tower locally I'd order as many as five sets of bookshelves from Crutchfield to have a shootout, (max return costs would be less than $100 total), and then return all the bookshelves and buy the tower version of the winner from Crutchfield.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 Old 03-02-2018, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Yeah, towers are a tough one due to the inability to easily try and return.

My suggestion when investing a ton of money would be to try Best Buy brands BUT also consider Crutchfield with their $10/box return on bookshelves within 60 days.

If I couldn't find what I wanted in a tower locally I'd order as many as five sets of bookshelves from Crutchfield to have a shootout, (max return costs would be less than $100 total), and then return all the bookshelves and buy the tower version of the winner from Crutchfield.
I went to best buy yesterday and felt that Klipsch RP series were sounding sounding better than the Def tech BP's.

Also spoke with Chane and think their towers are going to arrive soon. depending on the time of delivery i might choose HSU with 3 HC1's instead of HB1 LCR or Chane 5.4/2/4 for LCR and 1.4 for surround and sides/rear. Let me know if there are better options other than these two to make a purchase immediately. Thanks
post #33 of 91 Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I went to best buy yesterday and felt that Klipsch RP series were sounding sounding better than the Def tech BP's.

Also spoke with Chane and think their towers are going to arrive soon. depending on the time of delivery i might choose HSU with 3 HC1's instead of HB1 LCR or Chane 5.4/2/4 for LCR and 1.4 for surround and sides/rear. Let me know if there are better options other than these two to make a purchase immediately. Thanks
Well, there is one well regarded option for LCR that has a bespoke tower base that can be filled with 100lbs+ of sand to prevent knock overs.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...stlcmt340.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...c/cmt340c.html

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 91 Old 03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2329
Quote:
The place where the small window is where i am going to put the Screen.
Have you considered a minimal false wall and an AT screen? That's a great space and an AT screen would allow you to perfectly place three identical speakers behind the screen where you would never see them.
post #35 of 91 Old 03-02-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Have you considered a minimal false wall and an AT screen? That's a great space and an AT screen would allow you to perfectly place three identical speakers behind the screen where you would never see them.

No I haven’t considered the AT screen since it might considerably use a lot of space.

post #36 of 91 Old 03-02-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No I haven’t considered the AT screen since it might considerably use a lot of space.
I would at least look into it. Besides shear screen size, having an AT screen is probably the biggest advantage to having a projector over a TV. All the space it takes up can be filled with audio gear providing an invisible wall of sound coming from right where it should, i.e., from the image source.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...reen-wall.html
post #37 of 91 Old 03-05-2018, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, there is one well regarded option for LCR that has a bespoke tower base that can be filled with 100lbs+ of sand to prevent knock overs.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...stlcmt340.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...c/cmt340c.html
What should i choose for sides and rears if i go with these?
post #38 of 91 Old 03-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
What should i choose for sides and rears if i go with these?
If they can go on wall the sealedd 200s otherwise the 170s.

Geoff A. J., California
post #39 of 91 Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If they can go on wall the sealedd 200s otherwise the 170s.
are they from Ascend as well?
post #40 of 91 Old 03-05-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
are they from Ascend as well?
Yes.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html

Geoff A. J., California
post #41 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

I think I’ll wait for chane A 5.4s as mains and center 2.4 plus 1.4s for surround unless I have better options in the price range since I haven’t seen any suggestions for a wall mountable better performance bookshelf speakers.

post #42 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I think I’ll wait for chane A 5.4s as mains and center 2.4 plus 1.4s for surround unless I have better options in the price range since I haven’t seen any suggestions for a wall mountable better performance bookshelf speakers.

I think am just too confused at this point.

post #43 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
I would at least look into it. Besides shear screen size, having an AT screen is probably the biggest advantage to having a projector over a TV. All the space it takes up can be filled with audio gear providing an invisible wall of sound coming from right where it should, i.e., from the image source.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...reen-wall.html
I definitely suggest AT as well. In fact, my previous system was AT with the Ascend CMT 340s.
post #44 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
I definitely suggest AT as well. In fact, my previous system was AT with the Ascend CMT 340s.

Understand that would truly help me but the room is all finished right now with wooden flooring as well so re-doing all this stuff will be expensive and I don’t have any budget left for it since I need to hire some one to do it. This would have been really helpful while I was framing.

post #45 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked: 5374
Quote:
Alternative to the Chanes here, they are actually slightly less than the Chanes and would likely offer similar or better performance:
https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers

T1 towers, $700/pair
C1 center, $250
E1 wall-mountable surrounds, $270/pair

All prices include shipping. The C1 center is a 3-way design unlike the Chane A2.4 being 2-way...I was on the wait list for the A2.4 myself and just got impatient, so I ordered the C1 and could not be happier.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #46 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Alternative to the Chanes here, they are actually slightly less than the Chanes and would likely offer similar or better performance:

https://emotiva.com/collections/loudspeakers

T1 towers, $700/pair

C1 center, $250

E1 wall-mountable surrounds, $270/pair

All prices include shipping. The C1 center is a 3-way design unlike the Chane A2.4 being 2-way...I was on the wait list for the A2.4 myself and just got impatient, so I ordered the C1 and could not be happier.

@zorba - how are these compared to hsu hybrid package since they were on my top of the list too? And can I get the surrounds for sides and rears too? I was also looking at RBH I am just thinking to spend more and settle for future.

post #47 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
@zorba - how are these compared to hsu hybrid package since they were on my top of the list too? And can I get the surrounds for sides and rears too? I was also looking at RBH I am just thinking to spend more and settle for future.
For HT, I would pick the Emotivas over both of those. The Hsu and RBH are slightly "warm" which makes them better for music than HT. The Emotivas are neutral, so they'll do both music and HT well.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #48 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Speaker selection for a 20*15 dedicated HT room in basement

Quote:
For HT, I would pick the Emotivas over both of those. The Hsu and RBH are slightly "warm" which makes them better for music than HT. The Emotivas are neutral, so they'll do both music and HT well.

@zorba - awsome! Then my doubt has been clarified . I will order these then. Can you please tell me a 7.1 emotive package that I can order which will play loud enough in my 20*15 room? And s subwoofer my guess would be hsu.

Last edited by sharat6669; 03-09-2018 at 07:23 PM.
post #49 of 91 Old 03-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
@zorba - awsome! Then my doubt has been clarified . I will order these then. Can you please tell me a 7.1 emotive package that I can order which will play loud enough in my 20*15 room? And s subwoofer my guess would be hsu.
There is really no functional advantage to having 7 rather than 5 speakers, especially if you can put the cost savings into a better subwoofer.

So if it were me, I would stick with the 5 Emotivas previously recommended, and get the Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-15.

post #50 of 91 Old 03-10-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There is really no functional advantage to having 7 rather than 5 speakers, especially if you can put the cost savings into a better subwoofer.

So if it were me, I would stick with the 5 Emotivas previously recommended, and get the Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-15.
Four surrounds gives you side-vs-rear separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field that is not possible with only two surrounds. I run 5.1.4 and am happy with it in my living room, but if the room allowed I'd have 7 ear-level speakers for sure.

As far as getting better speakers and subs over seven channels, that's a judgment call, and one I generally favor if the budget is really tight, but that's different from saying there is no advantage to adding properly placed rear surrounds.

I recognize that for the most part you don't like surrounds or Atmos in general, so YMMV.
post #51 of 91 Old 03-10-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Four surrounds gives you side-vs-rear separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field that is not possible with only two surrounds. I run 5.1.4 and am happy with it in my living room, but if the room allowed I'd have 7 ear-level speakers for sure. As far as getting better speakers and subs over seven channels, that's a judgment call, and one I generally favor if the budget is really tight, but that's different from saying there is no advantage to adding properly placed rear surrounds. I recognize that for the most part you don't like surrounds or Atmos in general, so YMMV.
It's true that I have been happily running a 3.1 system for years, mainly because I watch movies that have little if any surround content (dramas, comedies, art/alt films, etc.).

But more importantly, I also am skeptical about "upmixing"---turning a 2-channel source into 5, 5 into 7, or non-Atmos into Atmos.

The bottom line is that 95% of movies/TV content available are still in native 5.1 and non-Atmos (something that no audio store salesperson will ever tell you), and having a receiver artificially generate and route content into extra channels is a highly dubious proposition IMO...more likely just another sales gimmick to make people buy extra speakers, and pay more $$$ for receivers that have the extra amps to run those extra speakers.

post #52 of 91 Old 03-10-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's true that I have been happily running a 3.1 system for years, mainly because I watch movies that have little if any surround content (dramas, comedies, art/alt films, etc.).

But more importantly, I also am skeptical about "upmixing"---turning a 2-channel source into 5, 5 into 7, or non-Atmos into Atmos.

The bottom line is that 95% of movies/TV content available are still in native 5.1 and non-Atmos (something that no audio store salesperson will ever tell you), and having a receiver artificially generate and route content into extra channels is a highly dubious proposition IMO...more likely just another sales gimmick to make people buy extra speakers, and pay more $$$ for receivers that have the extra amps to run those extra speakers.
I ran 5.1 for years for the reasons listed about native content. Atmos changes things, IMO, as the objects are sent to each discrete channel and not merely upmixed. Notably, Netflix has gone from just two Atmos shows to 17 in the last few months, with the addition of season 2 of Jessica Jones this week. I am enjoying new Atmos content weekly on Netflix and UHD discs, so, for me, totally worth it.
sigpig likes this.

Last edited by jjackkrash; 03-10-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #53 of 91 Old 03-10-2018, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Emotiva, Chane, or HSU ... How to decide if there is no way to hear any of them?

Well, maybe it would make sense to order the bookshelf versions of all three and decide based upon what you hear and what you like? Otherwise it's just a guessing game. Yes, you would have to return two sets of speakers, but wouldn't you spend $80 (or whatever) to have the peace of mind that comes with KNOWING instead of guessing?

Of course, you will have to wait until the Chanes are back in stock, but it shouldn't be too long now. As to the Chanes, sign up on their website and get yourself into their forum area. There are sign-up threads to be on their waiting list for each speaker you want. Jon Lane has promised significant discounts to those on their waiting lists. You can always cancel if you decide to go a different direction.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 03-10-2018 at 12:22 PM.
post #54 of 91 Old 03-11-2018, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Emotiva, Chane, or HSU ... How to decide if there is no way to hear any of them?

Well, maybe it would make sense to order the bookshelf versions of all three and decide based upon what you hear and what you like? Otherwise it's just a guessing game. Yes, you would have to return two sets of speakers, but wouldn't you spend $80 (or whatever) to have the peace of mind that comes with KNOWING instead of guessing?

Of course, you will have to wait until the Chanes are back in stock, but it shouldn't be too long now. As to the Chanes, sign up on their website and get yourself into their forum area. There are sign-up threads to be on their waiting list for each speaker you want. Jon Lane has promised significant discounts to those on their waiting lists. You can always cancel if you decide to go a different direction.

I am top of their list around 5th waiting for them but they don’t have a concrete date probably when They have them I might give a try . Since @zorba mentioned that for HT emotivas are much superior I am leaning towards them. I know it might be a guessing game but the suggestions are better than mine .

post #55 of 91 Old 03-11-2018, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Since I do have budget and wired the room for 4in ceiling and 7 On wall plus 2 subwoofer locations would the E2s be good for rears and E1s for sides?

post #56 of 91 Old 03-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Since I do have budget and wired the room for 4in ceiling and 7 On wall plus 2 subwoofer locations would the E2s be good for rears and E1s for sides?
Sounds good to me. You could also email or call Emotiva directly to get their opinion; their customer service is excellent in that regard.

post #57 of 91 Old 03-11-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2722 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Quote:
I am top of their list around 5th waiting for them but they don’t have a concrete date probably when They have them I might give a try . Since @zorba mentioned that for HT emotivas are much superior I am leaning towards them. I know it might be a guessing game but the suggestions are better than mine .

Well, maybe that is true. But, you only have Zorba's opinion on that, colored by his taste in sound. How do you know his taste in sound is the exact same as yours? Your ears, your room, your decision. Don't abdicate that decision to somebody else, even me!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #58 of 91 Old 03-11-2018, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Well, maybe that is true. But, you only have Zorba's opinion on that, colored by his taste in sound. How do you know his taste in sound is the exact same as yours? Your ears, your room, your decision. Don't abdicate that decision to somebody else, even me!

I totally agree with that statement. But I am looking for few things in a HT like good dialogue surrounds and nice bass like a real movie theater effects within what I can afford with the room size I have. So SMEs like the members in this forum know what sounds similar .

post #59 of 91 Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

@zorba - I have just made the order for emotivas . Do you know which receiver will suffice for my 2 in ceilings and 7(T1's, E1's, E2's, C2) emotivas and a HSU 15 sub?
post #60 of 91 Old 03-12-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
@zorba - I have just made the order for emotivas . Do you know which receiver will suffice for my 2 in ceilings and 7(T1's, E1's, E2's, C2) emotivas and a HSU 15 sub?
Nice!

What's your budget for the receiver?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page