AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Speaker selection for a 20*15 dedicated HT room in basement (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2928228-speaker-selection-20-15-dedicated-ht-room-basement.html)

sharat6669 10-23-2017 11:01 AM

Speaker selection for a 20*15 dedicated HT room in basement

Hello All -

I have just finished framing my basement media room which is 20L*15W*9H and getting it wired this week for speakers and electrical. I am planning for a 7.1.4 system and definitely don't want to get the speakers which will cost me an arm or leg.

Please advice me a set up which will be mainly for watching movies and music.

1) Your budget. under 3K for speakers and Sub
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music - Movies and music
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon. None
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice). 20L*15W*9H
5) Any placement restrictions. none
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns. none
7) Any equipment you are already considering .

Figured the below( might be wrong)

Atmos in ceiling (4 of them)
https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

Subwoofer : SVS PB 2000 : https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000

saw a nice list from here : https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...nding-speakers

I have no idea on what to choose for FL/FR and surrounds, center channel

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)

I definitely like more bass but dont want to miss dialogues in a movie at the same time.

Kini62 10-23-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55002922)
Hello All -

I have just finished framing my basement media room which is 20L*15W*9H and getting it wired this week for speakers and electrical. I am planning for a 7.1.4 system and definitely don't want to get the speakers which will cost me an arm or leg.

Please advice me a set up which will be mainly for watching movies and music.

1) Your budget. under 3K for speakers and Sub
2) Your listening interests: movies/gaming/music - Movies and music
3) Your existing audio equipment (make/models) if any. Include comments about what you hope to improve upon. None
4) The size of your room. Please also mention if there are adjacent open areas and how big they are (important for subwoofer choice). 20L*15W*9H
5) Any placement restrictions. none
6) Any aesthetic or size concerns. none
7) Any equipment you are already considering .

Figured the below( might be wrong)

Atmos in ceiling (4 of them)
https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

Subwoofer : SVS PB 2000 : https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000

saw a nice list from here : https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...nding-speakers

I have no idea on what to choose for FL/FR and surrounds, center channel

8) Any particular audio sonic signatures you know you prefer (e.g., you are a basshead, you have a preference for bright treble, etc.)

I definitely like more bass but dont want to miss dialogues in a movie at the same time.

To make things easy, get SVS prime speakers (bookshelf will be fine for HT) and double up on the sub.

sharat6669 10-24-2017 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kini62 (Post 55004194)
To make things easy, get SVS prime speakers (bookshelf will be fine for HT) and double up on the sub.

wouldn't the SVS 2000 sub be sufficient for that size room? Also, based on few threads here, i feel it is better to mix and match the speakers? is that right? for example, there are a lot of good reviews on Denton/Canton bookshelves and for towers ascend or KEF.

Kini62 10-24-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55008390)
wouldn't the SVS 2000 sub be sufficient for that size room? Also, based on few threads here, i feel it is better to mix and match the speakers? is that right? for example, there are a lot of good reviews on Denton/Canton bookshelves and for towers ascend or KEF.

Multiple subs aren't always about more bass, but better bass. More even bass coverage across a wider range of seating or correcting some dead spots that have nulls in bass at certain frequencies.

As for the speakers it's much more personal choice. I just recommended SVS speakers because they're good and it's easy. Plus you get SVS' 45 day trial period with shipping included. But feel free try whatever speakers you think you would like best. It is your room and your ears that have to live with them.

Lp85253 10-24-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

my advice .. if you like music don't do the prime bookshelf's .. not that they aren't good for HT .. they are just real bright (from a vast majority of reviews here).. and that isn't great for lots of music..

zieglj01 10-24-2017 09:44 AM

craig john 10-24-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Also, based on few threads here, i feel it is better to mix and match the speakers? is that right? for example, there are a lot of good reviews on Denton/Canton bookshelves and for towers ascend or KEF.

And this is precisely the problem with those threads and why I keep trying to correct them. Mixing and matching speakers is NOT a good idea. If it were, you could use different speakers for your left and right front speakers, right? NOONE would advise you to do that, (hopefully), but some people feel it is just fine, even beneficial, to mix and match the CC, surrounds and overhead speakers. It is far better to find speakers you like and then fill out the entire system with those speakers, possibly spending less on the surrounds and overheads, but still matching the front 3.

Use subs and crossovers to allow you to get the low bass response you need. That will allow you to get less expensive LCR or bookshelf speakers and take the $$$ you saved from the towers... and get more or better subwoofers.

This is the path to happiness... at least HT happiness. :)

Craig

mmiles 10-24-2017 01:14 PM

SVS Prime bookshelf and or a combination of Prime Elevation or Prime Sats with a PB2000 puts you in your budget. Sometimes there are deals to be found as well.

Was in Richmond last June and had dinner at the Tobacco Company. One of my favorites when I travel in that area.

sharat6669 10-24-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmiles (Post 55010214)
SVS Prime bookshelf and or a combination of Prime Elevation or Prime Sats with a PB2000 puts you in your budget. Sometimes there are deals to be found as well.

Was in Richmond last June and had dinner at the Tobacco Company. One of my favorites when I travel in that area.

SVS is definitely in my list. What are your thoughts on the Chane series (A2.4s)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharat6669 10-24-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55010296)
SVS is definitely in my list. What are your thoughts on the Chane series (A2.4s)?

That’s a nice spot for night life . I used to go there pretty frequently.

sigpig 10-24-2017 07:41 PM

This 7.1 package from HSU would be a good start: http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15mk2pkg.html

This Denon might suit your purposes: https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html

pase22 10-24-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig john (Post 55010000)
And this is precisely the problem with those threads and why I keep trying to correct them. Mixing and matching speakers is NOT a good idea. If it were, you could use different speakers for your left and right front speakers, right? NOONE would advise you to do that, (hopefully), but some people feel it is just fine, even beneficial, to mix and match the CC, surrounds and overhead speakers. It is far better to find speakers you like and then fill out the entire system with those speakers, possibly spending less on the surrounds and overheads, but still matching the front 3.

Use subs and crossovers to allow you to get the low bass response you need. That will allow you to get less expensive LCR or bookshelf speakers and take the $$$ you saved from the towers... and get more or better subwoofers.

This is the path to happiness... at least HT happiness. :)

Craig

That's good advice, but sometimes people are impatient. They want the whole 5.1 + atmos speakers right away and don't have the necessary budget flexibility to get there. They go against advice to build in stages and end up with mismatched center and surrounds and sometimes a lousy sub. Having had a Frankenstein system, I must say that having matching speakers all around gives me a much better movie experience. YMMV

jgourlie 10-24-2017 09:45 PM

I am considering doing a 7.1 system using all wavecrest hvl-1 speakers and they offer adding in a rythmik sub with purchase. I was quoted about $1,900 shipped with a rythmik fvx15 sub could get 2 sub with your $3,000 budget

gajCA 10-25-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pase22 (Post 55012664)
That's good advice, but sometimes people are impatient. They want the whole 5.1 + atmos speakers right away and don't have the necessary budget flexibility to get there. They go against advice to build in stages and end up with mismatched center and surrounds and sometimes a lousy sub. Having had a Frankenstein system, I must say that having matching speakers all around gives me a much better movie experience. YMMV

Some people approach purchases as a sprint others as a marathon; the good news is that today, in the US, with prices being what they are either approach can lead to satisfactory results.

I completely agree that a matching front three is the way to go.

And lets not forget, (I put together my first 5.1 system in the days before AVRs), your first surround system is rarely your last.

mmiles 10-25-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55010296)

I've not had the pleasure to listen to Chane products.

sharat6669 10-27-2017 09:42 AM

for a 20/15 room , do i need to go with towers or can i just buy bookshelfs with a nice sub. if so can you please help me with options?

gajCA 10-28-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55027178)
for a 20/15 room , do i need to go with towers or can i just buy bookshelfs with a nice sub. if so can you please help me with options?

The HSU system already mentioned would be just fine in your room and play loud and clean at high volumes.

If you are worried that the HB1 with its single 6.5" driver for left and right might be too small simply get three HC1s with dual 6.5" driver for the front three with the left and right vertical and the center horizontal if it won't fit vertically.

Dozens of reviews out their of the HSU HB1/HC1.

They are the real deal.

sharat6669 11-27-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 55032264)
The HSU system already mentioned would be just fine in your room and play loud and clean at high volumes.

If you are worried that the HB1 with its single 6.5" driver for left and right might be too small simply get three HC1s with dual 6.5" driver for the front three with the left and right vertical and the center horizontal if it won't fit vertically.

Dozens of reviews out their of the HSU HB1/HC1.

They are the real deal.

Thanks for the info. I have definitely made a decision to go with your suggestion and hopefully will place an order soon.

Can these be wall mounted securely or do i have to buy some stands?

sharat6669 11-27-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55208992)
Thanks for the info. I have definitely made a decision to go with your suggestion and hopefully will place an order soon.

may be i need to post a different thread but i am just curios to that if i squeeze in may be a $1000-2k more, do i have better options for the speakers?

gajCA 11-27-2017 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55208992)

No, those are not to be wall mounted; stands would be perfect.

gajCA 11-27-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55209020)
may be i need to post a different thread but i am just curios to that if i squeeze in may be a $1000-2k more, do i have better options for the speakers?

Then you'd start looking at PSA but, to be honest, your room is not that huge and a HSU system with HC1s up front with one or two subs would be more than enough.

But yes, PSA would be the "next level" in terms of sheer power to overwhelm...but, again, the HSU will overwhelm as well.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/

sharat6669 11-27-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 55209172)
No, those are not to be wall mounted; stands would be perfect.

does that mean they won't perform well if i wallmount?

I called HSU and they said the below pin point will work. what do you suggest?

https://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Moun...=pinpoint+am40

sharat6669 11-27-2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 55209204)
Then you'd start looking at PSA but, to be honest, your room is not that huge and a HSU system with HC1s up front with one or two subs would be more than enough.

But yes, PSA would be the "next level" in terms of sheer power to overwhelm...but, again, the HSU will overwhelm as well.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/

is there a package in PSU i could look at for my size room? just incase i want that extra punch for long term may be if i buy a larger home in future.

gajCA 11-27-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55209488)
is there a package in PSU i could look at for my size room? just incase i want that extra punch for long term may be if i buy a larger home in future.

You put together your own package; don't know if there is a discount.

You can chat on the site with Tom the owner.

gajCA 11-27-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55209478)
does that mean they won't perform well if i wallmount?

I called HSU and they said the below pin point will work. what do you suggest?

https://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Moun...=pinpoint+am40

Crossed over to a sub they should be fine as there is not much port effect below 80hz.

sharat6669 02-28-2018 02:03 PM

@gajCA / Other members - I am ready to make a move on purchasing the speakers for my HT in basement since the room is ready now.

questions i have is:

1) If i am purchasing the HSU package then i might need to buy the stands for for LCR, sides and rear which might look odd in the room. but i really like the reviews on them

2) I am on top 5 waiting list for Chanes A 2.4/ 5.4 - Are these better than HSU speakers and can they be wall mounted? Would is make a substanial difference if i get the towers instead like 2 5.4's and a 2.4 center?

I have decided on Epson 5040UB, Denon x4300 till now.

gajCA 02-28-2018 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55772158)
@gajCA / Other members - I am ready to make a move on purchasing the speakers for my HT in basement since the room is ready now.

questions i have is:

1) If i am purchasing the HSU package then i might need to buy the stands for for LCR, sides and rear which might look odd in the room. but i really like the reviews on them

2) I am on top 5 waiting list for Chanes A 2.4/ 5.4 - Are these better than HSU speakers and can they be wall mounted? Would is make a substanial difference if i get the towers instead like 2 5.4's and a 2.4 center?

I have decided on Epson 5040UB, Denon x4300 till now.

Neither the HSU or Chanes should be wall mounted due to their rear port design, even when crossed to the sub at 80hz IMHO>

You can use wall mounts/shelves that give them several inches of clearance for the rear port though.

Are HSU better than Chanes?

They are both well regarded so I'm guessing that is up to the listener to decide.

Maybe order a pair of Chane A1.4s and a pair of HSU HB1s and return the loser.

Why would speaker stands look odd in the room; it's a basement, right? :p

sharat6669 02-28-2018 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 55772214)
Neither the HSU or Chanes should be wall mounted due to their rear port design, even when crossed to the sub at 80hz IMHO>

You can use wall mounts/shelves that give them several inches of clearance for the rear port though.

Are HSU better than Chanes?

They are both well regarded so I'm guessing that is up to the listener to decide.

Maybe order a pair of Chane A1.4s and a pair of HSU HB1s and return the loser.

Why would speaker stands look odd in the room; it's a basement, right? :p

Attached the picture of the basement room. The place where the small window is where i am going to put the Screen. The reason i meant stands would be odd is because they take the space of a tower anyway and towers look cool too. I am going to have a wet bar towards the place where i have tiles. So having a speaker stand near the wet bar has a lot of chances to move de to traffic/kids.

I have 2 subwoofer spots one in the front near Left channel and the other one near the media closet.

gajCA 03-01-2018 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharat6669 (Post 55772270)
Attached the picture of the basement room. The place where the small window is where i am going to put the Screen. The reason i meant stands would be odd is because they take the space of a tower anyway and towers look cool too. I am going to have a wet bar towards the place where i have tiles. So having a speaker stand near the wet bar has a lot of chances to move de to traffic/kids.

I have 2 subwoofer spots one in the front near Left channel and the other one near the media closet.

Nothing wrong with going with towers.

You might want to look at the Klipsch RPs as they are currently discounted and offer many tower sizes.

sharat6669 03-01-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 55775812)
Nothing wrong with going with towers.

You might want to look at the Klipsch RPs as they are currently discounted and offer many tower sizes.

I some how don’t like klipsch since I feel they sound loud highs. Ok I hear 2 options then

1) if I go bookshelves then it’s hsu package with may be Sanus stands

2) if towers then what are my brand options?

I can be flexible on budget to get the best quality speakers