Capital Audiofest 2017 Demo Room Videos - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #31 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A bit of frustration...

I went to the show with another AVS Forum member I am friends with. He brought a CD to play, by Abdullah Ibrahim. Unfortunately, that artist has chosen to block any YouTube videos that include their music. So, several demos from the show cannot be posted because YouTube simply will now show them. Sorry!

In this case it was Bryston that got blocked. I'd hate to mix in a video that has music added to it.

At future shows I'm bringing my own demo music, so as to completely avoid this highly annoying issue.
Highly annoying! What a bummer.

I don't know if you saw my first questions for you earlier in the thread (regarding your attitude towards turntables, tube amps). I'm still interested in your view, though I understand if you are too busy to answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8733 Post(s)
Liked: 15248
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Highly annoying! What a bummer.

I don't know if you saw my first questions for you earlier in the thread (regarding your attitude towards turntables, tube amps). I'm still interested in your view, though I understand if you are too busy to answer.
This morning I am up to something else that's a bit pressing. Will come back here when things settle...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #33 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 744
My bad. Sorry about that Mark! For those wondering, the track is Calypso Minor. Great track though.

Louder is NOT better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
My bad. Sorry about that Mark! For those wondering, the track is Calypso Minor. Great track though.
Yup, shows off systems well. Who knew!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #35 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
Quote:
A bit of frustration...

I went to the show with another AVS Forum member I am friends with. He brought a CD to play, by Abdullah Ibrahim. Unfortunately, that artist has chosen to block any YouTube videos that include their music. So, several demos from the show cannot be posted because YouTube simply will now show them. Sorry!

In this case it was Bryston that got blocked. I'd hate to mix in a video that has music added to it.

At future shows I'm bringing my own demo music, so as to completely avoid this highly annoying issue.
I had several that got blocked from Axpona 2017 including the one from room 1427 that I was raving to you about right after I left the room and ran into you on the 3rd floor.

Clearly we should be covered under 'Fair Use' as it wasn't the entire piece and clearly for discussion purposes plus I credited the artist, Ray Brown.

Too bad as it was the best vinyl playback I've ever heard, using the Constellation electronics, ML 15As and the Continuum Obsidian with the Viper arm and now I forget what cart. It was stunning, and not like I haven't heard Ray Brown's Soular Energy umpteen million times. First thing I did when I got home was got that out and played it. Sorry to say that my $15,000 analog front end didn't get it compared to that. And true, with table, arm and cart that front end was probably pushing $90k-100k. I really wish that I had insisted a bit harder that we go back up there. I would have loved for to you to have heard that !!!!!!!! Six + months later I'm still talking about that. It was one of those moments where I was just blown away and as jaded as I am that doesn't happen often.

Maybe this year (while everyone is trying out new rooms) in a new HOtel.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 11-09-2017 at 10:55 AM.
post #36 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
A bit of frustration...

Don't you mean Lexicon Mark?

NX211
post #37 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post
Don't you mean Lexicon Mark?
Lexicon is "Arcam Inside"

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #38 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM

^
Was thinking of the MC-14.

Didn't know that about the new stuff.

Still love my MC-12HD tho.

NX211
post #39 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
That's certainly a very articulate post, and I'm sure very sincere. All I can say is that that the LP's that were being spun at CAF were uniformly mediocre or worse. I have a turntable and a small collection of the best LP's I could find, and at their best they come close to the second level CD's in my collection. I really don't think there's any scientific basis for preferring LP's over CD's, and the trend toward sourcing vinyl at audio shows has greatly lowered their utility as a means of judging speaker quality. I spend a good bit of my time playing in various orchestras, and I have yet to hear an LP that captures the sound of a live orchestra better than a decent CD, with the possible exception of the 1950's Chicago Symphony recordings and their minimalist microphone setup.
I still have a number of LPs from mid-to late 70's, but long gone is a turntable to play them on. When CD's came out, honestly, I never looked back. Couldn't be happier in saying "Good-Bye" to snap, crackle and pop.

Also, the "Touchy, Feely" thing with the LP, artwork and liner notes just doesn't do anything for me. On the other hand, that "Touchy", "Feely" thing with women, well, that's a whole different story...

NX211
post #40 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I still have a number of LPs from mid-to late 70's, but long gone is a turntable to play them on. When CD's came out, honestly, I never looked back. Couldn't be happier in saying "Good-Bye" to snap, crackle and pop.

Also, the "Touchy, Feely" thing with the LP, artwork and liner notes just doesn't do anything for me. On the other hand, that "Touchy", "Feely" thing with women, well, that's a whole different story...

I benefited from that same attitude from my father-in-law. He is a huge classical music fan, had a big record collection but as soon as CDs came along he couldn't say goodbye to LPs fast enough! So I have his very nice Micro Seiki turntable and a nice record collection. :-)

Like most people I abandoned LPs for CDs early on, never really thought I'd seriously get back into vinyl at all.

One thing I am truly happy to say good riddance to is the CD!!!

They have none of the appeal of records with their teeny artwork, their plastic covers were just ugly and ugly to hold, and they crack or shatter should you drop them even inches on to a floor. And then often come apart (especially those awful designs that tried to contain more than one CD).

Sooooo glad to be rid of them. Streaming digital music via my server, and looking at big beautiful artwork on my iPad server app is a vast improvement.

(Except for one single item: I always liked good liner notes and miss those in the streaming-verse).
post #41 of 50 Old 11-09-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

"Good-Bye" to snap, crackle and pop"

Not like we haven't been 'round and 'round in re this 765,489,846,856 times around here, but what snap, crackle and pop? If you have some, I'd like some since I so rarely have. And that the case even on my super cheap budget table.

Of course, not 100% of my LPs are completely quiet, but a very surprising number are. I have some pops from my phone case as I move it around as can be heard, but that's not the LP as you'll notice that the stylus isn't in contact with the record yet.
That's a $299 Musical Fidelity Roundtable with the famously noisy Ortofon Blue.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 11-10-2017 at 02:42 PM.
post #42 of 50 Old 11-10-2017, 01:12 PM

@Scotth3886 Lucky you.

The most vivid recollection I have of spinning LPs back in the day was the annoying sound of SCP. And I took pretty good care of all my LPs. I even went so far as to spray a cleaner/anti-static fluid of some kind onto the LP surface and wiped it dry with a specially made brush/handle that came with the kit - maybe not every time but I complied with whatever frequency was recommended and it did help to reduce the SCP to an extent.

However, that said I do have a friend who just recently started testing the alleged virtues of the LP sound over CDs. And his CD playback signal path is of very high quality. He feels the DAC in the OPPO 105 although not bad, isn't the best out there. He uses an external DAC to play CDs with made by the UK company Rega - which he feels is superior to the DAC in the OPPO 105. That external Rega DAC he uses costs more than the OPPO 105 btw. In his opinion, he does feel that for the most part, a good number of LPs do sound slightly better than the CD versions, but it's not a definitive thing. A number of CDs still sound better to him, than the LP versions - particularly the SACD versions - if available. But in his opinion, it varies from LP to LP and CD to CD.

That said, he's prompted me to conduct a test of my own the next time I go to visit him. I was planning to buy something recently recorded/mixed/mastered, available in both LP and CD versions and play them back on his system with his turntable for the LP and his OPPO/external DAC combo for the CD version. Incidentally, he also owns the Nessie record cleaner.

I enjoy many kinds of music, pretty much everything except Country music and I even buy movie soundtracks. So I noticed Wonder Women - an excellent movie btw, would even use the word "epic" to describe it, has an excellent soundtrack as well. So I go over to Amazon and check out the LP and CD versions and I notice this user review in the comments section of the "Import" version of the LP.

I quote an Amazon user review, Jeremy Walls August 30th, 2017: "Wonderful packaging with good looking discs. However, the record maker neglected to add "Snap, Crackle, and Pop" to record liner notes credit, which they should have because they accompany every track".

You can read it for yourself here.

Guess I'm not the only one who hears it. And this is a brand new recording and LP pressing.

NX211

Last edited by nx211; 11-10-2017 at 01:17 PM.
post #43 of 50 Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM

^
For those who don't speak German, the English version:

NX211
post #44 of 50 Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 PM

(Aaaaaaaagh!!!

Does anyone leave tabs open for long periods of time on their browser? If so: Don't you HATE when you compose a post, press "reply" only to find out you've had that tab open long enough "your token has expired?" and it won't send? Then hitting the back button to get back to the post window and all your writing is gone! Anyway....once again....)

I don't care for the snap 'n crackle on records. It's not particularly nostalgic for me. But I'll listen through it if it's an old album I own, or if I picked something up really bargain-bin cheap I wanted to check out.

One of the reasons I'm listening to more vinyl is the proliferation of new releases - that is new titles and re-releases of old ones. A new LP can generally sound very beautiful and quite clean. If vinyl wasn't being still produced I doubt I'd bother if I was constrained only to used LPs.

BTW, I have always been annoyed by the rationalizations used by vinyl-advocates (not all, but enough), and their theories for the purported "superiority of vinyl." I encountered this yet again when I popped into a local high end audio store run by a guy really into turntables. He gave me the old spiel "Vinyl sounds more natural because, like life, it's continuous. It doesn't chop up the sound like digital. You aren't 'missing information' like digital. This explains why digital is so unnatural to listen to, and why people don't really listen to music like they used to. Digital is unnatural and doesn't really reward attentive listening."

Yeesh. What a load! Aside from those technically dubious claims, I've been avidly listening to digital as much as I ever listened to vinyl. I was streaming Tidal to my system last night and it sounded gorgeous! I'd never give up digital. These people take their own subjective impressions and personal preferences and try so hard to validate them by nonsense generalizations to other people. And it's not as if most of the world isn't still listening to and enjoying music. My kids love their music as much as I did mine growing up, and their delivery system is digital. Yeah, they listen on ear buds, and often through crappy computer speakers. But most people in the past had crappy sound systems. I sure as heck remember how awful the sound was on the transistor radios my friends and I carried around in the late 60's/70's. Didn't stop anyone from listening to music.
CruelInventions and 18Hurts like this.
post #45 of 50 Old 11-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the great videos and commentary on some of the Capital Audiofest rooms!

Could you tell us a bit about the equipment and techniques you used to achieve these great results in less than ideal conditions?

Thank you.
post #46 of 50 Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I record a talk show called Tavis Smiley, as he often has interesting guests. Several weeks back he had Michael McDonald on and Vinyl playback came up. The relevant bit is between the 2 minutes mark and 3:30.
KramerTC and Scotth3886 like this.
post #47 of 50 Old 11-11-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
(Aaaaaaaagh!!!

Does anyone leave tabs open for long periods of time on their browser? If so: Don't you HATE when you compose a post, press "reply" only to find out you've had that tab open long enough "your token has expired?" and it won't send? Then hitting the back button to get back to the post window and all your writing is gone! Anyway....once again....)
Yes, I remember those near stroke-producing moments of anger, but now I use a form recovery extension. In my case Typio. No more lose of profound and perfectly worded (or gibberish and dumb) postings.
post #48 of 50 Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I record a talk show called Tavis Smiley, as he often has interesting guests. Several weeks back he had Michael McDonald on and Vinyl playback came up. The relevant bit is between the 2 minutes mark and 3:30.
Well, I guess that makes sense if you think harmonic distortion is really "beautiful," and poor channel separation provides a more realistic presentation of room ambiance.
SmittyJS and 18Hurts like this.
post #49 of 50 Old 11-11-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
Well, I guess that makes sense if you think harmonic distortion is really "beautiful," and poor channel separation provides a more realistic presentation of room ambiance.
Though I am not an advocate for vinyl, lets not forget that he is there playing the actual songs as they are recorded and listening to them back in the most optimal of settings, while the memory is still fresh. As well, he is trying to convey using the spoken word, an impression that he has while listening.
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #50 of 50 Old 11-11-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Though I am not an advocate for vinyl, lets not forget that he is there playing the actual songs as they are recorded and listening to them back in the most optimal of settings, while the memory is still fresh. As well, he is trying to convey using the spoken word, an impression that he has while listening.

He certainly would be in a very unique position to have an informed opinion. Also sounds like they worked real hard to keep the analog mix, analog. Sounds like I need to buy both as it would be good fodder for comparison.
shivaji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
capital audiofest 2017 , high-end audio , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page