Connect LSR305 to Yamaha RX-V381 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-08-2017, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Connect LSR305 to Yamaha RX-V381

I bought a pair of LSR305 Studio monitors because the sound was amazing for the price, but I want to connect them to my Yamaha RX-V381. What cables would I need to do so? Just 2, the Left and Right. Can I also connect a Sub via the Sub Pre-Out with these as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
That's not going to be trivial.

The LSR305s are powered speakers, so they need line level inputs.

The only line level output that I know of on the RX-V381 is the subwoofer one. You connect a sub to that in the common way (male RCA to male RCA cable).

The LSR305's inputs are "professional" ones: balanced XLR or TRS.

Speaker level to line level adapters exist, mainly for car audio. I have no experience with them. It may also be practical to build cheap adapters using connectors plus a few resistors, but you'd have to search online for a recipe.

It'd be simpler if you had a receiver with pre-outs for the left and right channels, but that's not the RX-V381.

With a little perseverence, the JBLs ought to work great.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-08-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
That's not going to be trivial.

The LSR305s are powered speakers, so they need line level inputs.

The only line level output that I know of on the RX-V381 is the subwoofer one. You connect a sub to that in the common way (male RCA to male RCA cable).

The LSR305's inputs are "professional" ones: balanced XLR or TRS.

Speaker level to line level adapters exist, mainly for car audio. I have no experience with them. It may also be practical to build cheap adapters using connectors plus a few resistors, but you'd have to search online for a recipe.

It'd be simpler if you had a receiver with pre-outs for the left and right channels, but that's not the RX-V381.

With a little perseverence, the JBLs ought to work great.
So Maybe not the best choice then.... Grr. What would you say about a pair of ELAC B6 Debut's? Comparable or better sound?

Last edited by xfile102; 11-08-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-08-2017, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfile102 View Post
So Maybe not the best choice then.... Grr. What would you say about a pair of ELAC B6 Debut's? Comparable or better sound?
I think that the LSR305s may be good, but maybe it's a little pointless to mate powered speakers to an AVR.

I wouldn't say anything about the B6s, one way or another, because I have no experience with them.

My LR fronts are a pair of Hsu Research HB-1s. (The original model, with a tweeter that probably isn't as good as the current Mk2.) I like them. A lot of people here like Hsu subwoofers even more. Hsu has a few drawbacks: they are Internet direct only, so you can't audition their stuff in a brick and mortar store. (Unless you can visit them in Anaheim, CA.) Their shipping charges aren't low. They have a 30 day return period, but no free return shipping.

In terms of use, the HB-1s have rear ports, so they can't be placed flush against a wall or cabinet. I wouldn't really call them bookshelf speakers. Mine are on stands.

There must be dozens of good bookshelf speaker choices. I've read a lot of suggestions about Cantons at accessories4less, but I'm not sure what models are regarded the highest. There are also Chane fans here, but some of their models seem to be unavailable at the moment.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-08-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfile102 View Post
I bought a pair of LSR305 Studio monitors because the sound was amazing for the price, but I want to connect them to my Yamaha RX-V381. What cables would I need to do so? Just 2, the Left and Right. Can I also connect a Sub via the Sub Pre-Out with these as well?
Agree with the other posts. You need line level outputs. RCA's out are OK. You can get low cost adapters that will connect to the XLR's. I used such a setup for a time.

I use LSR305's as computer speakers. The LSR305's are nice, but are a lot nicer with the JBL LSR310S subwoofer, which of course adds a lot to the cost in percentage terms. I added the subwoofer after a couple months.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 512
You might want to investigate the JBL Studio 220 or 230 for your situation. The same software was used for the waveguide designs as the 305.

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
lsr305 , reciever , rx-v381 , studio monitor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page