Worth upgrading 2.0 2x KEF Q100 setup to 3.0 3x Q100s? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Zorba922
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By pase22

post #1 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Worth upgrading 2.0 2x KEF Q100 setup to 3.0 3x Q100s?

Hi all,

So this is mostly a question of whether or not it's worth it for me to pick up a center channel at all.

I have two KEF Q100s powered by a Denon x1300w with MultiEQ XT. You can see my setup in the (ugly) attached pic--they flank my TV pretty closely. I plan on picking up a sub on Black Friday.

It seems like scoring a third Q100 is a great way to pick up a center channel, but I'm not sure if a center channel is useful in my case. Most of what I do is listen to music and watch media that is natively 2.0. My questions are about how a 3.0 setup performs in these use cases.

Listening to music: Is a 3.0 setup even useful here? Or would I be better of just turning the center channel off?

Watching 2.0 media: Can the receiver handle translating 2.0 media to 3.0 output, or is this something that would have to be done on my end? Does faux 3.0 provide more clarity to dialogue, and is it worth the tradeoff to accuracy, etc?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2313300  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7156 Post(s)
Liked: 5462
For music listening, zero benefit to the 3rd speaker.

For movies/TV, the 3rd (center) speaker may be useful if you listen late at night and don't want to disturb others nearby but still be able to hear dialogue clearly, by boosting the center channel level in your receiver.

If that's not an issue, and if you cannot move the L/R speakers wider apart to create more of an equilateral triangle with your listening position, then yeah I would skip the center.

If you do get a center of any kind though, having a 3rd Q100 would be a better option than paying through the nose for the "matching" KEF center, not only price-wise.
audiofreak38 and Lp85253 like this.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomedeluxe View Post
Hi all,

So this is mostly a question of whether or not it's worth it for me to pick up a center channel at all.

I have two KEF Q100s powered by a Denon x1300w with MultiEQ XT. You can see my setup in the (ugly) attached pic--they flank my TV pretty closely. I plan on picking up a sub on Black Friday.

It seems like scoring a third Q100 is a great way to pick up a center channel, but I'm not sure if a center channel is useful in my case. Most of what I do is listen to music and watch media that is natively 2.0. My questions are about how a 3.0 setup performs in these use cases.

Listening to music: Is a 3.0 setup even useful here? Or would I be better of just turning the center channel off?

Watching 2.0 media: Can the receiver handle translating 2.0 media to 3.0 output, or is this something that would have to be done on my end? Does faux 3.0 provide more clarity to dialogue, and is it worth the tradeoff to accuracy, etc?

Thanks!!
If most of your usage is music and 2 channel, you be wasting good money. Putting that money towards a good sub would be much more beneficial.

FWIW, I only listen to music in 2.0/2.1 stereo despite having matching speakers all around because it actually sounds better. YMMV
Lp85253 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7156 Post(s)
Liked: 5462
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
FWIW, I only listen to music in 2.0/2.1 stereo despite having matching speakers all around because it actually sounds better. YMMV
Yep, same here.

To "upmix" a native stereo music source into surround format = about the same level of HOPELESS BARBARISM as Donald Trump's eating all those top-shelf steaks cooked well done, and with ketchup. (facepalm)

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you both for the good advice. I kind of suspected a center channel wouldn't be useful for me, but I also felt like I should squeeze everything I can out of the current deal on Q100s. You're right though--all that money should go to a killer sub on Black Friday!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 2822
Quote:
Thank you both for the good advice. I kind of suspected a center channel wouldn't be useful for me, but I also felt like I should squeeze everything I can out of the current deal on Q100s. You're right though--all that money should go to a killer sub on Black Friday!
The Q100's are good speakers on their own, but a good sub will really help bring them to life. You'll get a much fuller sound. I recommend getting a good sub like SVS, HSU, Emotiva. Stay away from budget subs which can drag down your system. I went the budget sub route and have been regretting it ever since.
Lp85253 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Yep, same here.

To "upmix" a native stereo music source into surround format = about the same level of HOPELESS BARBARISM as Donald Trump's eating all those top-shelf steaks cooked well done, and with ketchup. (facepalm)

It depends what is the purpose here. To use your example, do we believe that Donald Trump does not enjoy his stake? If he does, maybe there are people enjoying their music upmixed on multiple channels. As fake as it might be, my current setup make me like my music on all 5.1 (mostly the 3.1 makes it feel fuller in my space). My ears are not as refined, and feel no shame in that. Not looking to upgrade them either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1865
8 speaker stereo FTW...
post #9 of 9 Old 11-11-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2103 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Quote:
that's your best bet... even my emotiva basx8 makes a HUGE difference on music ( and i have the kef q100s)...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page