Def tech BP-2006 + Def Tech BP-8. Four speakers together for a lounge? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Def tech BP-2006 + Def Tech BP-8. Four speakers together for a lounge?

Hello!

Im looking for an advice here. I know how to use google, and have basic ideas about how multi-component speaker\home theater system works. However in the span of what happened i require some help from a people more deeply involved into music world. So yeah.. thanks in advance. And will try to be short as possible.

End goal target: I own a chill\laid-back bar (around 100sq.m) where we ussually play jazzy house, shill hop and "lounge"music in general. And we ussualy play in low to medium loudness only. No party party. Right now we basically use 2.1 system size of a microwave which we bought on some shop for 80 bucks :-) But....

What happened: 2 days ago i was walking along the street (and btw, i live in Asia). And there was that bankrupted "second hand" shop which had a "closing sale". So i sneak in and long story short.. from a old asian dude (who is obviously had no remote idea about the price range) for 70$ bucks i get:

one(1) piece of Definitive Technology BP2006 Bi-Polar Speaker.
two(2) pieces of Definitive Technology BP-8 Speakers.

Plus (lol. obviously cheap... weak.. and quite old (1992!) receiver: SONY STR-D390
===========

All speakers are in pretty mint condition and all three working.
Id say this: this crappy SONY receiver can handle nicely the BP-8 speakers for sure.
But its can barely move the "subs" in the lower part of BP-8 speaker.

As a standalone... this receiver can play BP2006 okay. But obviously its too low on power.
=====================

So, can anyone will be nice enough to send me into the right path of what should i do next?

My plan so far (altho its a newbie plan and maybe its a wrong plan) i need to buy\ebay it one more BP-2006 (or equivalent model from Def Tech). So that i will have a pair of BP-8 plus a pair of BP-2006. Then i will need to buy (which one?) a good amplifier.

Then in my bar i will get: 4 "towers" standing in 4 different corners... playing jazz\chill with a nice bass.
Am i thinking in the right direction?

Q1: Will it be a good combo of two BP-2006 (active) + two BP-8 (passive)?
Q2: What kind of amplifier will i need? How many channels? And how powerful on each channel?
Q3: Any general "hidden rocks" which i need to think of?

PS: Im in the middle of nowhere, so the idea of "sell"that whole system. Earn bucks and buy a whole system wont work. Im miles and miles from any civilization. I can buy anything from US and bring it here, but i cant sell anything here to anyone.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	2340062   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	2340064   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	2340066   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2340068  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

PS: If admin think its a right move, you can move that thread inside the official Def Tech owners thread.
I waesnt sure if that the right way to do.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 815
First off, the BP8's don't have powered woofers, if they are BP8's what you're referring to would be bass radiators to enhance the low end, but they shouldn't move much, if any at all.

Honestly, in your situation I would do whatever you could with that receiver for now. (Both BP8's wired in series on Right or Left, and the single BP2006 on the other)

Then I'd look for a receiver (100w p/ch minimum) or pre-amp and amp that will allow source connections and give you a MONO output. Yes MONO. In all reality, for what your doing, you really don't want stereo separation, you want to fill all parts of the space with the exact same sound.

Then wire in series/parallel.
(BP8's in series, then parallel to the BP2006, then if you add a second BP2006 or other speaker, you wire them together in series like the BP8's and wire both pairs to each other in parallel)

That's what I would do.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALtlOff View Post
First off, the BP8's don't have powered woofers, if they are BP8's what you're referring to would be bass radiators to enhance the low end, but they shouldn't move much, if any at all.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Now there is another silly question. Im trying to figure it out here if sub\amp on my BP-2006 is dead or not.

What we have:

a) tweeter\speaker on bp-2006 works fine. No distortion.
b) When i plug it into power outlet, RED light with a text Power Automatic On\Off - its light up in red color.
c) FUZE inside the "fuze nest"looks a little bit dusty but solid. Not broken. And w\out it (removed) the LED from point "b"doesnt power up. So i assume that FUZE is working.

D) Now the question is. Am i stupid? What is that OPTIONAL LFE in?
I dont have any cable for that.
Does the woofer even suppose to work without that connection?

Daniel
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ee View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

Now there is another silly question. Im trying to figure it out here if sub\amp on my BP-2006 is dead or not.

What we have:

a) tweeter\speaker on bp-2006 works fine. No distortion.
b) When i plug it into power outlet, RED light with a text Power Automatic On\Off - its light up in red color.
c) FUZE inside the "fuze nest"looks a little bit dusty but solid. Not broken. And w\out it (removed) the LED from point "b"doesnt power up. So i assume that FUZE is working.

D) Now the question is. Am i stupid? What is that OPTIONAL LFE in?
I dont have any cable for that.
Does the woofer even suppose to work without that connection?

Daniel
The LFE input is optional you don't need to use it, the powered woofer should work with just speaker wire if it's working correctly.
The light means you have power, but doesn't necessarily mean the amp is working, all you can do is send it a signal and try and adjust the volume knob for the sub accordingly.
Good Luck

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page