JBL Unleashes L100 Classic Speakers at CES 2018 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by southleft View Post
Bearing in mind that speaker preference is all a matter of taste I can tell you that the original L100s (sold in the UK as Century L100s) was a very colored, boom-and-tizz speaker. It was actually well-suited to rock music because it was like the bass and treble knobs on your amp were already turned up! On the other hand, if you wanted to hear natural sounding voices or acoustic instruments, the L100s were pretty dreadful.
Figure 18.5(b) in my new book shows the modern spinorama measurements on the JBL 4310/L100. It was a loudspeaker with reasonable overall spectral balance, but an abundance of mid and high frequency resonances. It was "colorful". The neutrality that we can easily find nowadays was not common back then. It was "of a time", to be remembered for better or worse, but not to be repeated. The new version undoubtedly is a more modern, neutral sounding loudspeaker, but it remains to be seen whether the visual nostalgia is enough to drive sales.
ValentinR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The more sad for me is I see JBL (at least their consumer line of speakers) as a company resting in their laurels. L100 century is just as hipster as 2018 hipster is. We look at the fifties, sixties or seventies with nostalgia, so JBL brings the L100 to us. Have Samsung-Harman the most big and advanced anechoic chamber and audio lab in Valencia (Ca) for that??

Maybe -as some wrote before- connected cars and every gadget this micro-world carries with it, is the future for Harman.... so, we must be prepared to dust our shelves off in order to put our JBL speakers as collector objects.

I like the Synthesis approach (assuming the pro series knowledge and take advantage of it), but I don't understand why not to do the same with the consumer series in small scale. Why every new serie is so different from the last one? Any other speaker brand works like this.

I'm owner of a pair of JBL 1400 Array (Synthesis luxury series). I can't get a new woofer (one of mine scratches) because these drivers are not available anymore. Not possible to have so many spare parts from so many models at JBL. Excuse me????

I Like this L100 speaker as a fun/nostalgic object.. but i would prefer much better to see an in-a-box version of a SCL-2 speaker for example.
post #33 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
It all depends on the market

The "audio fad" was a long one stretching from 1965 to 1990 when the bottom fell out. The boomer kids started it, innovation with portable systems as tube switched to transistor helped in the 1970's. In 1979 the Sony Walkman rolled out to huge success with a quick follow up by CDs and car audio in the 1980's keeping the run going. The world economy took a dip in 1990, the boomer kids were having kids and music sales, audio gear sales and all that went with it peaked then fell. Once the economy picked up, computers were the rage followed by cell phones, smart phones and so on. Easy to compete in the 60's/70's for disposable income when you had a TV and your stereo--it became harder with VCRs and bigger TVs in the 80's. By the 90's, the computer came first, then TV, VCR/DVD player and cell phone...audio got the crumbs.

The transistor, the chip and digital drove the boom for 25 years. Any innovation in audio basically came from the movie companies (Dolby/THX/surround) and the telecom industry (MP3, streaming etc.) The audio companies went from innovators to adding features other industries created. This is normal in a mature industry, if you want to look at audio innovation, don't look at the consumer side! The pro side has done line array tech, subwoofer tech, monster amps, digital everything and so on. There is a demand for relentless innovation on the pro side because that industry demands it. Car audio sound quality and features have really taken off since 1990 so we have that.

The good thing about nostalgia products is it revisits older designs that work properly. The L100 and Klipsch Forte' III come to mind. The generation of 20 somethings grew up on little bitty speakers with little subs as the Bose AM-5 took over in the late 80's. They are learning why such "monsters" existed and learning how they work. All the marketing for the past 30 years has been smaller is better, smaller is "new" and so on... the big dogs with large horns, big woofers and very large cabinets were considered obsolete. Well, physics don't go obsolete so even though the big dogs cost a fortune, if there is a market for something larger than a coffee can--it will be filled.

I'm sure the new JBL L100 will sound much better than the old one... Samsung blew 8 Billion bucks buying out Harmon, they like JBL and want to build the brand. Could this be the first fruit of their union? Measurements will tell... throw us some spinorama action! Now that would be a good comparison, the Klipsch Forte' III VS the JBL L100--bring it on!

Sure beats the skinny tower, little box speaker stuff of the past 20 years... never know, it might be really good. It could open the floodgates for speakers that are as big as they need to be to get optimum performance (it could happen!) At least it don't have that horrid piano black shiny finish that reflects light like a mirror to annoy the heck out of you when watching a movie. A return to performance over style? Why not?

Time for AVS to get out the measuring gear... although a curiosity for me as I have no use for it, the thing might kick some serious butt...or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I'd say these speakers will exist in 2 or 3 shops nationwide and would venture to say theyll be 2700-3000 dollars in those stores.

JBL certainly influenced the 2 channel and HiFi we all enjoy today.

As far as Harmans direction - Seems there are those sound engineers/speaker designers that prefer to make a speaker sound great (Greg Timbers).. and then there are the computer readout flat response across the board types (Revel.. yawn).

Timbers did the JBL name a gigantic service creating the synthesis line. I realize we could debate that all day, but I will always enjoy Timbers designed speakers regardless of how natural they sound. They make me smile and love lots and lots power!

Its a shame Timbers and the remaining Harman design team didn't get along, but such is life and sh*t happens. I'm pleased I've acquired 2 of his best designs which will undoubtedly supply endless enjoyment and smiles for the entirety of my life.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #35 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3993 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalitz View Post
When I represented the Harman group, they admitted the only division that made money was OEM car audio. I've since lost touch with their management but have no reason to believe that's changed since we hardly see their products in mainstream retailers, other than Bluetooth speakers. I can't remember the last time I saw Harmon Kardon receiver! Revel has enjoyed some modest success but no one would argue that JBL is the force it was in the 60s and early 70s. You're very perceptive. I'm nonetheless certain the Pro division is gigantic and successful. Now that Samsung owns the Harman group, we can only speculate about their future.

Regarding the kind words regarding the tube-type amplifiers Bob Carver and I manufacture, and yes, they are highly regarded, winning two product of the year awards from absolute sound, personally, I've never heard a horn system sound good-- really good-- except in theater applications irrespective of the amplifiers used. I'm sure they exist; I just never get to hear them. I exhibit at nearly every show in the United States, and occasionally overseas, so I've probably heard more brands of high end and unusual loudspeakers than many. There are horns at every show. They usually sound terrible.

By the way, I've owned Altec Voice of the Theaters (the big ones--A7-500s), to big JBL's (their biggest and most expensive) and I even currently consult for a manufacture of hundred thousand dollar horn systems; the Altec's ironically, sounded the best but none of these products approached accuracy and neutrality-- fun yes, refined? Nope. The big JBL's, in particular, broke my heart sounding like public address loudspeakers in spectacular cabinetry-- custom-built for me by JBL's cabinet shop when they made the best in the world. After suffering through a decade of ownership, constantly kicking myself, I was approached by MXR to evaluate the first consumer third octave equalizer. It took some doing with the instrumentation at my disposal but when finished, they sounded like a giant set of Dahlquists but with killer impact on low frequencies. Without the equalizer, the pain returned. I sold them at a premium, set up a giant Quad Electrostatic system, and found out what I was missing (the original Quads, of course). Later, as I traveled the country for Onkyo, I met many designers, especially later when I went off on my own. Guess what: the common thread among my favorite designers, is they all owned Quad electrostatic loudspeakers. Too bad they all broke so easily. I'll never sell mine but I never play them. Fortunately, I have an alternative.

In any case, I do believe this thread is being derailed by our digression. I hope you guys enjoy my stories.

Happy new year to all
Frank Malitz
old audio veteran

"Guess what: the common thread among my favorite designers, is they all owned Quad electrostatic loudspeakers. Too bad they all broke so easily"

As I've been saying for the two years I've been here. In fact, over ten years with 57s is what led to my sadly mistaken years with JBL (L100s, L45s and L300) in the early 70s. After living with a single pair (mostly) (stacked once, but double stacked, didn't get to that) of 57s since 1959, I wanted loud so I got loud, but lost everything else. Since then, I've had the progression of just about everything else electrostatic, from KLH9s to Dayton Wright XG8 Mk2s to Soundlab, Pristines, A3s, A1s, M1s with many MLs later and with a big bunch of planar magnetics thrown in the mix over the years. Still there with MLs in one of my systems and it's still somewhat the same. Not in terms of loud or reliability as it's been decades since I've seen heat lightning, but in terms of tearing everything to bits (no pun) upstream in the food chain and then with regards to recordings. So its still somewhat the love hate affair it's always been.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 01-17-2018 at 05:42 PM.
post #36 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Fugly.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #37 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_that_sound View Post
I'd say these speakers will exist in 2 or 3 shops nationwide and would venture to say theyll be 2700-3000 dollars in those stores.

JBL certainly influenced the 2 channel and HiFi we all enjoy today.

As far as Harmans direction - Seems there are those sound engineers/speaker designers that prefer to make a speaker sound great (Greg Timbers).. and then there are the computer readout flat response across the board types (Revel.. yawn).

Timbers did the JBL name a gigantic service creating the synthesis line. I realize we could debate that all day, but I will always enjoy Timbers designed speakers regardless of how natural they sound. They make me smile and love lots and lots power!

Its a shame Timbers and the remaining Harman design team didn't get along, but such is life and sh*t happens. I'm pleased I've acquired 2 of his best designs which will undoubtedly supply endless enjoyment and smiles for the entirety of my life.

It still would be fun if I had unlimited funds to play would be a completely restored Marantz 2270 and a pair of L100s, just like I originally had, although IIRC, mine were dark brown grill foams, not the black blue or orange. Maybe I'm misremembering.
love_that_sound likes this.
post #38 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thumbs up

A Review is coming soon!

post #39 of 54 Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post

Good, Steve confirms the dark brown grills available originally. Maybe I'm not losing my mind quite yet.
post #40 of 54 Old 01-18-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Good, Steve confirms the dark brown grills available originally. Maybe I'm not losing my mind quite yet.
Should be interesting to compare Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd originals VS updated version. Think of all the advances in the past 48 years, from at least the tweeters moving from paper cone tweeters to Ti dome tweeters, upgraded crossover parts and more accurate testing/calibration when the speakers are made.

Then throw in that Led Zeppelin remastered and cleaned up their early works AND figured out how to put the bass response that was filtered out on the originals so the kids record players won't skip.

Lastly, and it could be the most important factor--the stuff that was illegal and low grade at the time has been replaced by high grade Kush that is tested/certified and sold legally. Better speakers, better source and better weed--how can you lose?

Could it be that JBL is targeting all those legal herbal shops springing up in the past few years? They might have stumbled onto something big--herbally enhanced surround was the original surround.
Skytrooper and sigpig like this.
post #41 of 54 Old 01-18-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 771
18Hurts likes this.

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #42 of 54 Old 01-19-2018, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wonder how long before my S38's are retro cool?
post #43 of 54 Old 03-18-2018, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Should be interesting to compare Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd originals VS updated version. Think of all the advances in the past 48 years, from at least the tweeters moving from paper cone tweeters to Ti dome tweeters, upgraded crossover parts and more accurate testing/calibration when the speakers are made.

Then throw in that Led Zeppelin remastered and cleaned up their early works AND figured out how to put the bass response that was filtered out on the originals so the kids record players won't skip.

Lastly, and it could be the most important factor--the stuff that was illegal and low grade at the time has been replaced by high grade Kush that is tested/certified and sold legally. Better speakers, better source and better weed--how can you lose?

Could it be that JBL is targeting all those legal herbal shops springing up in the past few years? They might have stumbled onto something big--herbally enhanced surround was the original surround.
There was no bass filter. Simply put, if they extended lows further, they give up sensitivity. In the showroom, this is suicide. Louder speakers sell better. Guess what: they were right!
post #44 of 54 Old 03-18-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Toole View Post
The new version undoubtedly is a more modern, neutral sounding loudspeaker, but it remains to be seen whether the visual nostalgia is enough to drive sales.

During the Clinton administration AR tried the same basic concept. Ken Kantor designed a line that looked like the old ARs and had similar driver complements but contemporary crossover design.

I seem to recall those being offloaded to online clearance sites as the internet developed. Maybe boomers are older now, and hipsters more into the retro look.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #45 of 54 Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
I normally don't care about aesthetics however those speakers look like two giant Rubik's cubes on stands. Hideous.
You're showing your young age! You would have hade to be there!

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
post #46 of 54 Old 03-20-2018, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I liked the grills for some reason, I wonder why??

Planning on buying another one, probably yellow, next year.

But as speakers, I presonally hated them. I sold a lot of them, I could get them cheap. I had a pair in my bedroom/showroom for about 2 years and I couldn't ignore the huffing port and BOOM. of them. I would play other speakers that were cheaper, and I thought sounded better, and again and again, the L100's went out. I made 100% profit on them, so it wasn't so bad! I think the demos were the last speakers I sold as I was exiting the business. I even sold my Dynaco Quadaptor for $10 at the end. My mother picked me up at school one day after finding a 5 or 6 pairs of L100's in the walk in closet along with a couple of Dual 1229 turntables, Technics cassette decks, and a pile of HK 220B's and some other stuff. She had no idea I had sold all that much stuff. Somehow the kids coming to the house and blasting "Dark Side of the Moom" and walking out with boxes and stuff never caught her attention. I recently found out that a guy who was one of my last customers still had everything he bought from me in '73, except the L100's. He got tired of them and bought a pair of ADS speakers to replace them. I had the same speakers until the woofer surrounds rotted out in only a few short years.
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #47 of 54 Old 03-12-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 185
L100 Classic Review by Andrew Robinson

Saw this review by Andrew Robinson this morning:

https://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-sy...assic-reviewed

I love the trolling comments in response to the review and the trolling rebukes that go with them. I think Andrew's got it just right.
Wrager likes this.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #48 of 54 Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
Saw this review by Andrew Robinson this morning:

https://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-sy...assic-reviewed

I love the trolling comments in response to the review and the trolling rebukes that go with them. I think Andrew's got it just right.
Here's his video review on these speakers

Here's another good review too

https://7review.com/jbl-l100-classic-review/
post #49 of 54 Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Smile

Quote:
Here's his video review on these speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEAQi_vPstg

Here's another good review too

https://7review.com/jbl-l100-classic-review/
Thanks!

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #50 of 54 Old 04-03-2019, 05:00 AM

Thumbs up

I think the JBL L100 Classic... "Clearly Sounds Better" compared to the JBL 4429 Horn speakers that Many are Raving About these days!

post #51 of 54 Old 04-03-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think the JBL L100 Classic... "Clearly Sounds Better" compared to the JBL 4429 Horn speakers that Many are Raving About these days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzQbK9gKjoI

At least they were going to great lengths to tame it with up on stands far out into the room with plenty of acoustical treatment, but still the characteristic JBL upper bass thickness. Honk honk.

I heard these last year, and yeah, better than the originals IIRC, but still JBL.
post #52 of 54 Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I heard these back to back with the Revel F228Be at AXPONA this weekend and they were not even close to shamed. In fact, I cancelled a previous order of my m126Be so that I could buy the L100 Classic.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Last edited by newrival; 04-18-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: My miscomprehension
post #53 of 54 Old 04-17-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1858
I must have missed the question from the editor. I thought it was a semi review of a revamped JBL. What question were you referring to?
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #54 of 54 Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
I must have missed the question from the editor. I thought it was a semi review of a revamped JBL. What question were you referring to?
HA! you're right! I was browsing on my phone, and either came in somewhere late in the thread, or I'm just delusional

Maybe a different thread altogether. at any rate, mine is the comment out of place. I'll amend it in keeping with the thread.

apologies all around
Scotth3886 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
ces 2018 , jbl l100 classic , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page