Help and advice on purchasing a good set of speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By pase22

post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2018, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Help and advice on purchasing a good set of speakers

Hey guys,

I want to purchase a nice set of speakers/subwoofer and amplifier to go along with my new TV.

Primary purpose: PC gaming and streaming movies (50/50) and almost no music.
Looking for: 5.1 speakers with possibility of upgrading to Dolby Atmos later.
Budget: ~$2000-2500, give or take a few $$.
Room: Live in a duplex and my den is maybe around 11-12’ x 15’

I have never owned any high end system. Never even had a dedicated amp. I have been using Logitech z-5500 5.1 speakers ($250) for 10+ years and they have served me well. Just looking to upgrade because why not?

I am a complete novice when it comes to audio as you can guess. Definitely not an audiophile, but can appreciate a good set of speakers even though I don’t know any technical jargon. I don’t blast my speakers - just enough to be immersed in a movie or game. I don’t think I ever went past 50-60% in my logitechs unless source volume was low.

I have been reading and doing some research and was thinking about getting the Klipsch RP-280f and matching set of surround speakers and sub.

A bundle like this when it goes on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077X9MXY4...NT&sdsrc=staff – but only 1 woofer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RP2...nt-center.html - add receiver

I know this system is overkill, huge and will look ridiculous my small room, but I want to buy something that will last me a while if I get my own house.

I keep on reading about listener fatigue and some Klipsch can cause that due to high treble (but RP system is better?). I am not exactly sure what that is as I have never experienced that with my logitechs even if I listen to them for hours. However, I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro closed headphones that give me a headache if I game on them for more than 30-60 minutes. Not sure if it’s due to ear fatigue or just that I hate closed headphones. Anyway, would like to avoid that issue if possible if I am going to spend this much money.

Not set on these speakers or the brand by any means and am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by gorosap; 02-04-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2018, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked: 2574
For a smaller form factor and all the benefits of Klipsch without the ear piercing brightness, the HSU Hybrid 2-5.1 package will be excellent for gaming and HT. If you do move to a bigger space, you'd just need to add a 2nd sub, though getting a 2nd one now wouldn't be a bad idea. You could go with the Hybrid 3 package which features a better more powerful sub that will definitely kick your ass.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3hppkg.html
MIX_MASTER_ICE and smithsabom like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8587 Post(s)
Liked: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorosap View Post
Hey guys,

I want to purchase a nice set of speakers/subwoofer and amplifier to go along with my new TV.

Primary purpose: PC gaming and streaming movies (50/50) and almost no music.
Looking for: 5.1 speakers with possibility of upgrading to Dolby Atmos later.
Budget: ~$2000-2500, give or take a few $$.
Room: Live in a duplex and my den is maybe around 11-12’ x 15’

I have never owned any high end system. Never even had a dedicated amp. I have been using Logitech z-5500 5.1 speakers ($250) for 10+ years and they have served me well. Just looking to upgrade because why not?

I am a complete novice when it comes to audio as you can guess. Definitely not an audiophile, but can appreciate a good set of speakers even though I don’t know any technical jargon. I don’t blast my speakers - just enough to be immersed in a movie or game. I don’t think I ever went past 50-60% in my logitechs unless source volume was low.

I have been reading and doing some research and was thinking about getting the Klipsch RP-280f and matching set of surround speakers and sub.

A bundle like this when it goes on sale:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077X9MXY4...NT&sdsrc=staff – but only 1 woofer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RP2...nt-center.html - add receiver

I know this system is overkill, huge and will look ridiculous my small room, but I want to buy something that will last me a while if I get my own house.

I keep on reading about listener fatigue and some Klipsch can cause that due to high treble (but RP system is better?). I am not exactly sure what that is as I have never experienced that with my logitechs even if I listen to them for hours. However, I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro closed headphones that give me a headache if I game on them for more than 30-60 minutes. Not sure if it’s due to ear fatigue or just that I hate closed headphones. Anyway, would like to avoid that issue if possible if I am going to spend this much money.

Not set on these speakers or the brand by any means and am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Good news is it is very easy for you to buy a pair of Klipsch RP speakers from Best Buy and audition them for 13 days at home and return them if not happy.

The RP280s are huge and need a lot of space around them to sound their best so for your uses a pair of RP160s up front would be more than enough to be honest, especially if you buy a quality sub or two, (BIC subs don't cut it).

Even in a larger room the 160s would be fine with quality subwoofers.

Denon or Marantz are great receivers though.

Buy one, (or two), of these subs, a receiver and then you can begin buying and returning a pair of bookshelves from Best Buy until you settle on something you like.

Always monitor Crutchfield and Amazon prices before buying from Best Buy as they price match.

If you don't find speakers at Best Buy that do it for you then we can discuss other brands that have free returns on bookshelves or $10/box returns like Crutchfield.

Buying a full tower based system and then hating it would be a nightmare and would incur huge return shipping charges.

So tread lightly at first.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE: IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS

ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $425 HSU VTF 1 MK3

400watts =17w21hx22d= 66 lbs 12" [19hz] $500 SVS PB12 NSD, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)
THE Amazon OFFER IS FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME ONLY

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
HTD Speakers -- buy a set of bookshelf speakers to test the sonic sound signature -- then if you like them, send them pack for a speaker package -- they do give a discount for a speaker package. And if you do not like the bookshelf speakers, then there is free return shipping for first time buyers.
https://www.htd.com/Products/Speaker...three-speakers

----------------
Who AM I
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Honestly, from your description, I advise you to look[listen] to MartinLogan. You are more of an audiophile than you give yourself credit for. You just haven't heard the right system. Yet.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 246
For your budget, you have plenty of options. Things to consider: What are your ascetic requirements? towers for the mains or bookshelves all around?

the receiver is going to chew a bit of the budget. Consider a refurb from www.accessories4less.com. you can get networked and atmos ready receivers at a good savings. Look at the speaker packages they have put together to give you an idea.

check out the packages at www.axiomaudio.com

You could get a lot of bag-for-your buck at www.parts-express. .com look at their speaker packages.

I like the HSU suggestions from phase22...

happy hunting

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-08-2018, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
For a smaller form factor and all the benefits of Klipsch without the ear piercing brightness, the HSU Hybrid 2-5.1 package will be excellent for gaming and HT. If you do move to a bigger space, you'd just need to add a 2nd sub, though getting a 2nd one now wouldn't be a bad idea.
Thanks! Will look into that brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Good news is it is very easy for you to buy a pair of Klipsch RP speakers from Best Buy and audition them for 13 days at home and return them if not happy.

Buying a full tower based system and then hating it would be a nightmare and would incur huge return shipping charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
HTD Speakers -- buy a set of bookshelf speakers to test the sonic sound signature -- then if you like them, send them pack for a speaker package -- they do give a discount for a speaker package. And if you do not like the bookshelf speakers, then there is free return shipping for first time buyers.
https://www.htd.com/Products/Speaker...three-speakers
Didn't realize some places offered free return and shipping or a trial run. I will think about going that route, but to be honest I don't really like dealing with return and exchanges. I prefer to just get it right the first time and be happy with the purchase. Had to deal with swapping out my TV a bunch of time and it was a pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Honestly, from your description, I advise you to look[listen] to MartinLogan. You are more of an audiophile than you give yourself credit for. You just haven't heard the right system. Yet.
haha. That's what I am worried about though. I already have a bunch of other expensive hobbies. I just want to be happy with a decent speaker set at a reasonable price without going overboard. If I over think it, I might overspend and that extra price tag won't really increase my enjoyment proportionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
For your budget, you have plenty of options. Things to consider: What are your ascetic requirements? towers for the mains or bookshelves all around?

the receiver is going to chew a bit of the budget. Consider a refurb from www.accessories4less.com.
happy hunting
Whatever sounds good, but was considering towers for main and bookshelves for surround.

Thanks for your input guys!

Last edited by gorosap; 02-08-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page