JBL Control 328 Speakers for Atmos - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By 7channelfreak
  • 1 Post By darrellh44
  • 1 Post By OsoSolitario
  • 1 Post By point1
  • 1 Post By darrellh44
  • 2 Post By darrellh44
  • 1 Post By OsoSolitario
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
point1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 113
JBL Control 328 Speakers for Atmos

I did a search and several AVS forum users have used these speakers for Atmos but I can't really find a good thread or post that provides a clear and detailed review and feedback.

If you have experience with or have heard these speakers, can you please let me know what you think of them?

I need in-ceiling speakers that are not so far off in sensitivity from JTR speakers. The Volts are the closest ones that I can find.


Thanks!
point1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 02-06-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,026
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I’ve been thinking about the same thing. Let’s hooe someone chimes in.
point1 likes this.
7channelfreak is online now  
post #3 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,657
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 679
You mean you can't hang four Noesis 215RTs from your ceiling?
sigpig is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
I've had four 328c's sitting in boxes for several months waiting for backer boxes and installation in my ceiling - too much other stuff going on, sorry.

I have heard the cousins of the 328c which are JBL SCS-8s at a Synthesis demo during CEDIA 2015. I read somewhere the SCS-8s use pretty much the same drivers as the 328c, but also include their own box and mounting bracket as a finished product. The CEDIA demo was fantastic, but there were so many speakers involved in the demo (including three M2s up front), it would be hard to evaluate any specific speaker in the demo. Needless to say, JBL would not have included sucky speakers in what was their top-line demo at the time. Also there are quite a few SCS-8 reviews out there if you want to google them.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Member
 
OsoSolitario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
I've had four 328c's sitting in boxes for several months waiting for backer boxes and installation in my ceiling - too much other stuff going on, sorry.

I have heard the cousins of the 328c which are JBL SCS-8s at a Synthesis demo during CEDIA 2015. I read somewhere the SCS-8s use pretty much the same drivers as the 328c, but also include their own box and mounting bracket as a finished product. The CEDIA demo was fantastic, but there were so many speakers involved in the demo (including three M2s up front), it would be hard to evaluate any specific speaker in the demo. Needless to say, JBL would not have included sucky speakers in what was their top-line demo at the time. Also there are quite a few SCS-8 reviews out there if you want to google them.
Same here. I own a pair of Control 328C but not installed yet on mi room. I just tested them on temporary boxes (about 1 cubic feet) and I can say they sound very clean and authoritative. One can feel we have got a high sensitivity driver!!
I recommended them (with no doubt) for Atmos in-ceiling use.

People doesn't talk about these speakers because the vast majority doesn't want spend more than 150$ on a single in-ceiling speaker.
OsoSolitario is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
The 328c's have a very good 120deg conical dispersion pattern which means they should make great Atmos speakers. They are fairly efficient, can take quite a bit of power, and extend down to 60Hz (in a net 0.71 cuft box). I've attached their published specs which include FR and dispersion patterns on the 2nd page of the pdf. Their dispersion actually looks better than the SCS-8s, but their upper-end FR is a little 'bouncy', as are most horn loaded tweeters.

I have the non-CT version which comes without the distribution transformer which is shown mounted on top in the picture.

http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachm...328C_CT.v1.pdf
jjackkrash likes this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoSolitario View Post
Same here. I own a pair of Control 328C but not installed yet on mi room. I just tested them on temporary boxes (about 1 cubic feet) and I can say they sound very clean and authoritative. One can feel we have got a high sensitivity driver!!

I recommended them (with no doubt) for Atmos in-ceiling use.



People doesn't talk about these speakers because the vast majority doesn't want spend more than 150$ on a single in-ceiling speaker.


They are typically close to $300 per. Where can we find them for $150?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bubbrik is online now  
post #8 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
They are typically close to $300 per. Where can we find them for $150?
I have found used ones before from BP Photo for $150 or less. You might call and ask if they expect a batch of used ones any time soon. Their price for new ones is just under the $300 you quoted.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
I have found used ones before from BP Photo for $150 or less. You might call and ask if they expect a batch of used ones any time soon. Their price for new ones is just under the $300 you quoted.


Thanks Darrell. Sorry, I wasn’t thinking about used and didn’t know B&H did that. I will contact them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bubbrik is online now  
post #10 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Member
 
OsoSolitario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
They are typically close to $300 per. Where can we find them for $150?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I said "people don't want spend more than 150$"... actually some spend much more obviously.
But we can find some priced under the 150$ bar...

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_101500...#&price=40-150
bubbrik likes this.
OsoSolitario is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoSolitario View Post
I said "people don't want spend more than 150$"... actually some spend much more obviously.
But we can find some priced under the 150$ bar...

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_101500...#&price=40-150
I didn't see any 328c's on the Crutchfield link - just 3 different JBL Arena in-ceiling speakers. Not sure how they compare to the 328c's.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Member
 
OsoSolitario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
I didn't see any 328c's on the Crutchfield link - just 3 different JBL Arena in-ceiling speakers. Not sure how they compare to the 328c's.
Oh Sorry! What a confussion!

Let's see.
User Point 1 said on his first thread : "I did a search and several AVS forum users have used these speakers for Atmos but I can't really find a good thread or post that provides a clear and detailed review and feedback. "

I answered to him: "People doesn't talk about these speakers because the vast majority doesn't want spend more than 150$ on a single in-ceiling speaker." I meant these JBL's cost at least 300$/u (I paid 375€ in Europe) but many Home theater users don't want spend so much money. So, I thought because that price maybe these JBL aren't so popular on forums.

Then user Bubbrik thought I was talking about Control 238C costing 150$. Not at all. I meant these speakers weren't so popular because didn't cost 150$

Sorry again!
OsoSolitario is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
point1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I purchased one 328 from [email protected] 140 to try out. I will get it installed and report back. They look like they require quite a bit of depth.

I should be getting it next week.
jjackkrash likes this.
point1 is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post
I purchased one 328 from [email protected] 140 to try out. I will get it installed and report back. They look like they require quite a bit of depth.

I should be getting it next week.
Yeah, they're about 6.5 inches deep. All of the dimensions are in the pdf I linked earlier.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
point1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Yeah, they're about 6.5 inches deep. All of the dimensions are in the pdf I linked earlier.
I think it goes quite a bit deeper with the back cans correct? I think 8.6" depth with the back can.

I'm going to install with the back can to maximize the sound quality.
point1 is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
I'm going to build my own DIY backer boxes. Here's the JBL backer box made for the 328c.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/i...8#.WnuV9qinGUk

Also I have four 328c grilles I'll sell for cheap if anyone needs them.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Member
 
OsoSolitario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by point1 View Post
I think it goes quite a bit deeper with the back cans correct? I think 8.6" depth with the back can.

I'm going to install with the back can to maximize the sound quality.
If you can manage your ceiling, you may build a customized box with just the advised volume (about 1 cubic feet), no need to be as deep as the back can is.

Last edited by OsoSolitario; 02-07-2018 at 05:21 PM.
OsoSolitario is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoSolitario View Post
Oh Sorry! What a confussion!



Let's see.

User Point 1 said on his first thread : "I did a search and several AVS forum users have used these speakers for Atmos but I can't really find a good thread or post that provides a clear and detailed review and feedback. "



I answered to him: "People doesn't talk about these speakers because the vast majority doesn't want spend more than 150$ on a single in-ceiling speaker." I meant these JBL's cost at least 300$/u (I paid 375€ in Europe) but many Home theater users don't want spend so much money. So, I thought because that price maybe these JBL aren't so popular on forums.



Then user Bubbrik thought I was talking about Control 238C costing 150$. Not at all. I meant these speakers weren't so popular because didn't cost 150$



Sorry again!


Since these are jbl pro speakers, I thought that some dealers may be selling them at a lower price. As Darrell noted, looks like they can be had for that lower price used. Don’t be sorry, you were only sharing your thoughts and I got on the price tangent.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bubbrik is online now  
post #19 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by OsoSolitario View Post
If you can manage your ceiling, you may build a customized box with just the advised volume (about 1 cubic feet), no need to be as deep as the back can is.
If you look at the JBL backcan description, the overall volume is 1cuft, but the net internal volume is 0.71 cuft. If you're building your box, I would think the target for net volume needs to be 0.71 cuft.

1 Cubic Ft. Backcan
for Control 300 Series
8 in. Drivers
EXTERNAL VOLUME
1 cu ft., nominal
INTERNAL VOLUME
.71 cu ft.
KNOCKOUTS
22.1 mm (0.87 in) diameter opening
Five (5) locations:
1 on top panel
4 on side of can
OsoSolitario likes this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 02-07-2018, 11:59 PM
Member
 
OsoSolitario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
If you look at the JBL backcan description, the overall volume is 1cuft, but the net internal volume is 0.71 cuft. If you're building your box, I would think the target for net volume needs to be 0.71 cuft.

1 Cubic Ft. Backcan
for Control 300 Series
8 in. Drivers
EXTERNAL VOLUME
1 cu ft., nominal
INTERNAL VOLUME
.71 cu ft.
KNOCKOUTS
22.1 mm (0.87 in) diameter opening
Five (5) locations:
1 on top panel
4 on side of can
I think net volume of 0,71 cubic feet is including the acoustic damping material (rock wool or similar). Without it, volume should be bigger (after all, the back can walls are made of a thin metal sheet).
OsoSolitario is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jjackkrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,276
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
I have had my eye on 328c's for a while; its good to see some actually getting installed. They look like winners on paper for Atmos duty paired with high-E main speakers.
jjackkrash is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 02-08-2018, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
I have had my eye on 328c's for a while; its good to see some actually getting installed. They look like winners on paper for Atmos duty paired with high-E main speakers.
In spite of the fact I have zero experience with 328c's in my own HT, I can still safely say I highly recommend them.
trammer and jjackkrash like this.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".

Last edited by darrellh44; 02-08-2018 at 01:55 PM.
darrellh44 is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 02-08-2018, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Someone just told me about these yesterday. Hopefully someone chimes in here once they have them installed
trammer is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Member
 
OsoSolitario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by trammer View Post
Someone just told me about these yesterday. Hopefully someone chimes in here once they have them installed


I don't want to say "buy it", but just take a look to the Control 328C crossover network and you'll see a "real" one, similar to ones seen inside big (& expensive) floorstander speakers.
They also comes with built in tuned bass reflex ports, so with the suggested enclosure, bass will be more accurate than speakers on free ceiling.
trammer likes this.
OsoSolitario is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
anyone have any installation and sound reviews of these. i have low 7.5foot and 9foot ceilings and am sold on the 120degree dispersion and specs so far.

any reviews will help !
Souvlakipita is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 05-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Member
 
burton14e7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Do these come with cutout templates? I can't find mention of the templates in any documentation I'm finding.

I was originally going to go with JTR 8lp-slanted for my front atmos but I'm worried that they will block the image from the projector.
burton14e7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off