need suggestions for speakers to pair with REL Subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-08-2018, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
need suggestions for speakers to pair with REL Subwoofer

Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a pair of bookshelf speakers to use in a 2-1 system with a REL Strata III subwoofer. Since the low end will be well covered with the subwoofer, I'm not that concerned with the bass output of the speakers and more interested in learning about what speakers will exhibit a nice high end, great soundstage, and transparent presence. I must admit, I do like to hear a crisp high-hat cymbal and I like a bit of sparkle in the high end (but not ice pick sounding). I am streaming from Tidal ("Hi-Fi" setting) into a Google Chromecast Audio which is connected to my NAD 3020...the original one, not the new Digital D3020. I don't spin my vinyl anymore.
The bookshelf they'll be in is a a living room which is around 24'x20', 8' ceilings, hardwood floors.

I listen to everything but my tastes lean towards Steely Dan (Aja is a good refernce album), Jazz, Yes, ELP, more traditional classic rock and Blues, classical, bluegrass....most everything! Finally, my budget is the $500/pair range +/- $100 or so.

I will say that I am auditioning some Dali Zensor 3's right now without the subwoofer (it's in the repair shop) and while I love the low end, I find the mids and highs to be not as nice as I'd hoped for. I find myself wanting to crank up the treble knob on the NAD amp. Of course, Dali recommends 100 hours to break them in and they have only been played for about 50 hours thus far.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-08-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8777 Post(s)
Liked: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukind55 View Post
Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a pair of bookshelf speakers to use in a 2-1 system with a REL Strata III subwoofer. Since the low end will be well covered with the subwoofer, I'm not that concerned with the bass output of the speakers and more interested in learning about what speakers will exhibit a nice high end, great soundstage, and transparent presence. I must admit, I do like to hear a crisp high-hat cymbal and I like a bit of sparkle in the high end (but not ice pick sounding). I am streaming from Tidal ("Hi-Fi" setting) into a Google Chromecast Audio which is connected to my NAD 3020...the original one, not the new Digital D3020. I don't spin my vinyl anymore.
The bookshelf they'll be in is a a living room which is around 24'x20', 8' ceilings, hardwood floors.

I listen to everything but my tastes lean towards Steely Dan (Aja is a good refernce album), Jazz, Yes, ELP, more traditional classic rock and Blues, classical, bluegrass....most everything! Finally, my budget is the $500/pair range +/- $100 or so.

I will say that I am auditioning some Dali Zensor 3's right now without the subwoofer (it's in the repair shop) and while I love the low end, I find the mids and highs to be not as nice as I'd hoped for. I find myself wanting to crank up the treble knob on the NAD amp. Of course, Dali recommends 100 hours to break them in and they have only been played for about 50 hours thus far.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Perhaps the Monitor Audio Bronze 2s with $10/box returns from Crutchfield.

I really like MA tweeters.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 3 Old 02-08-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 2475
You will probably like a folded ribbon tweeter. Lots of folks have those, but not all of them do a good job with the mids.

Alternatively, you might like the ring tweeter and midrange performance of the Q Acoustics products.

Lastly, look at Chane, assuming they ever get their new speakers to market.

BTW, if you like sparkle, I'm not sure NAD is the best way to achieve that goal.

Last edited by RayGuy; 02-08-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page