Where do I go from here.. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stephen Hopkins
  • 1 Post By RiverSide
  • 1 Post By gajCA
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-16-2018, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Question Where do I go from here..

Hi Guys,

Been a while..

I waited years for more affordable surrounds to complete my 7.1 setup to no avail. Finally broke down and bought the Klipsch RP-250s.

Before I can enjoy them however I’m stuck on a mounting solution.

Right side has a wall so the keyhole mount of the speaker can be used. The left side however I had wired in the ceiling. I thought when I do buy surrounds I’ll just buy a ceiling mount and be done.

Little did I know there is NOTHING in the market! Everything caters to small bookshelves and I won’t trust anything under a 25lb rating.

The few heavy duty ones available require drilling into the back of the speaker.. that’s a no-go

Others don’t drop down enough.. I need at least 12” drop as stupid Klipsch has the screw hole at the bottom not top.

How do I proceed.. I really don’t want to go smaller.. if I could afford it I’d have gone bigger!

Help!

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 02-16-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Douglasville, GA
Posts: 4,212
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I'd just drill/screw into the cabinet... it's not the end of the world.
leecreek likes this.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
Stephen Hopkins is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 02-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
I'd just drill/screw into the cabinet... it's not the end of the world.
Agreed. If that gives you the cleaner and sturdier mounting solution just put a short screw in there and be done with it. It's not going to hurt anything.

70" Vizio M Series (2016 Model); Xbox One S; PS3; DirecTV
Marantz 6011; Polk Signature Series S30 Center; S60 Towers (L/R); S15 Surrounds; S10 Front Height Pair/Rear Height Pair for Atmos, Two SVS SB-2000 Subs
siddious33 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
ttn333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I use these for my atmos ceiling mounting of Totem Mites. Works quite well with various configurations available. Attached using existing hex screws in the back of speakers. Bought them from Amazon. Vantage Point BSM-B Bookshelf Series Speaker Mounts

NAD T758v3, Emotiva XPA-3, XPA-5, UPA-5, JTR Triple 12 LP L/C/R, Htm-6 surrounds, Volt 6 atmos, SVS PC13 Ultra and JTR Cap 2400 ULF - Denon x2400h, Elac Debut F5, Elac Debut C5, Elac Debut A4, Klipsch r-12swi - Stereo Totem Mite
ttn333 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 02-16-2018, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
I'd just drill/screw into the cabinet... it's not the end of the world.
Sigh.. you're right.. appears that's where I'm headed if nothing else works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddious33 View Post
Agreed. If that gives you the cleaner and sturdier mounting solution just put a short screw in there and be done with it. It's not going to hurt anything.
True.. except my feelings .. just can't bring myself to drilling holes into a brand new speaker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn333 View Post
I use these for my atmos ceiling mounting of Totem Mites. Works quite well with various configurations available. Attached using existing hex screws in the back of speakers. Bought them from Amazon. Vantage Point BSM-B Bookshelf Series Speaker Mounts
Thanks for the suggestion! While the RP-250s are about 16lb, reviews on Amazon indicate these may be able to handle it. I'm tilting (pun unintended) towards getting the BSME version which extend about 10" long (read down in my case).. that might give me some head-room to position the speaker without hitting the ceiling.

In their wisdom Klipsch warns not to use keyhole for ceiling mount then proceeds to give only a single 3/8"-16 hole at the bottom of the speaker. Do they really believe one 3/8" screw will hold such a large speaker?
siddious33 likes this.

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 02-17-2018, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quick update.. Still trying to find the BSME version. Seems like no one carries it. The manufacter shows it’s out of stock on their own website.

As such.. still looking for a ceiling mount solution that can help me avoid drilling my new speakers..

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-17-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,389
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9086 Post(s)
Liked: 6228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSide View Post
Quick update.. Still trying to find the BSME version. Seems like no one carries it. The manufacter shows it’s out of stock on their own website.

As such.. still looking for a ceiling mount solution that can help me avoid drilling my new speakers..
You can hang a shelf, (cut to size at Home Depot), from the ceiling using chains.

If you velcro the speaker to the shelf you can tilt it.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #8 of 15 Old 02-17-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 1532
Ummm.... maybe I have completely lost the thread, but the Klipsch RP-250 are Floorstanding speakers ....???.... you are going to wall mount Floorstanding speakers?!?!?

If I am understanding correctly, then that is going to requires some explanation.

The Klipsch RP-250 weigh near 40 pounds each are are over 36" tall.

Again, if my assessment is wrong - sorry. But if my assessment is right, and you are trying to wall mount 40 pound 36" Floorstanding speakers, I think you are going to have to explain WHY?

Do they absolutely have to be wall mounted? Could you stand each on top of a Subwoofer, or on top of a Stand of some type to raise them up to the desired height.

But at its core, I am baffled by my assumption that you are trying to wall mount floorstanding speakers.

Am I completely off base on this?

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 02-17-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,857
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2643 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post

But at its core, I am baffled by my assumption that you are trying to wall mount floorstanding speakers.

Am I completely off base on this?

Steve/bluewizard

He stated this too:
While the RP-250s are about 16lb

I am guessing he meant he bought the RP-250 package or just got the bookshelf models mixed up... logically they'd be 150s or 160s.

But now I want to see a pic of wall-mounted towers, just for the bizarre factor.
Doe Doe is online now  
post #10 of 15 Old 02-17-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,603
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Ummm.... maybe I have completely lost the thread, but the Klipsch RP-250 are Floorstanding speakers ....???.... you are going to wall mount Floorstanding speakers?!?!?

(snip) Am I completely off base on this?

Steve/bluewizard
Yep.

The speakers in question must be RP-250S surrounds (not the plural of RP-250).

http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...sound-speakers

I guess that ceiling mounting a bipole (dipole?) speaker like that isn't going to be trivial, particularly if you are reluctant to drill into the box.
bobknavs is online now  
post #11 of 15 Old 02-17-2018, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
You can hang a shelf, (cut to size at Home Depot), from the ceiling using chains.

If you velcro the speaker to the shelf you can tilt it.
That is indeed a solution. However can’t see this one being high on WAF..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Ummm.... maybe I have completely lost the thread, but the Klipsch RP-250 are Floorstanding speakers ....???.... you are going to wall mount Floorstanding speakers?!?!?
Steve/bluewizard
My apologies for being unclear. I meant the Klipsch RP-250S surround speakers. If I were mounting floor standing speakers to the wall, I’d be the first in line demanding an answer from myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
He stated this too:
While the RP-250s are about 16lb

I am guessing he meant he bought the RP-250 package or just got the bookshelf models mixed up... logically they'd be 150s or 160s.

But now I want to see a pic of wall-mounted towers, just for the bizarre factor.
I’m afraid I won’t be able to offer any entertaining pics of 40 lb floorstanders hanging from the ceiling. I’m in enough trouble already trying to ceiling mount one 16lb surround speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Yep.

The speakers in question must be RP-250S surrounds (not the plural of RP-250).

http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...sound-speakers

I guess that ceiling mounting a bipole (dipole?) speaker like that isn't going to be trivial, particularly if you are reluctant to drill into the box.
Correct. I’m blaming Klipsch.. they only provide one screw mount location for such a large speaker..

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 PM
Member
 
2dflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not the most appealing thing to look at but effective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180218_002525277_HDR_1518931605879.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	2362956  
2dflyer is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 02-18-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
Not the most appealing thing to look at but effective.
That's What She Said...
sigpig is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,389
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9086 Post(s)
Liked: 6228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
Not the most appealing thing to look at but effective.
You could also use steel cables and a metal shelf for a more industrial look but I doubt the OP wants to head in that direction.
18Hurts likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is online now  
post #15 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
RiverSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
Not the most appealing thing to look at but effective.
It's functional.. mine are still in the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
That's What She Said...


Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
You could also use steel cables and a metal shelf for a more industrial look but I doubt the OP wants to head in that direction.
True.. looking for a more seemless solution. A simple ceiling mount with at least 12" drop and single 3/8"-16 connection capable of holding around 20lb

Insert pithy comment here
RiverSide is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
ceiling , Klipsch , mount , RP-250S , surround

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off