Official DCM KX speaker series discussion thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Official DCM KX speakers and subwoofers discussion thread

This thread is for discussion of all DCM KX speakers:
- the original series
- Series 2
- KX subwoofers

When asking questions or providing information about any of these speakers, please include the full name. For example, if you have a question about the DCM KX-12 Series Two, specify "DCM KX-12 Series Two" (it is necessary to specify "Series Two" to differentiate it from the earlier, original series). That way, we will minimize instances of people asking, for example, a question about the KX-12 original version, failing to specify which version they are referring to, and being given an answer that only applies to the KX-12 Series Two.

When you are looking at information on KX loudspeakers, and it isn't specified which series they are from (the original series or Series Two), find out that information before making any decisions. If the series isn't specified, any technical specifications may suggest which series they are from. Some of the pages I'm linking to below do not state which series they are about, but may still have useful information for some people, so use your best judgement about what to do with the information that they contain.

Links:
- Welcome to DCM Speakers
- KX Series (original series):
-- manual
- KX Series Two:
-- manual
-- KX-12 Series Two:
--- DCM KX 12 Series 2 Floorstanding Speakers user reviews - audioreview.com
- KX-12 (series not specified: some of the reviews on this page may be for the original series, and some may be for Series Two): DCM KX 12 Floorstanding Speakers user reviews - audioreview.com
- KX subwoofers:
-- KX Sub 1:
--- manual

Other links:
- Search AVSforum for [DCM KX] (without the brackets). There are several already-existing threads.
-- a thread that may be of interest to DCM KX speaker owners who don't own subwoofers is AVR or amplifier that can amplify the LFE channel and then mix it into the others?
- New AVR, Old Speakers | Sound & Vision
- DCM KX-12 Midrange question | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
- DCM KX-10 - Manual - Loudspeaker System - HiFi Engine
- Speaker Asylum: REVIEW: DCM KX-12 Series Two Speakers by Mike D.
- Need help figuring out crossover points - diyAudio
- If you want to see the bass capabilities of these speakers, try searching YouTube for [DCM KX speakers] (without the brackets) or doing a Google video search with those words. Optional: add the word [bass] to the end of the query.

DCM | Audiogon Bluebook

DCM Audio Player and Recorder Problem Support, Troubleshooting Help & Repair Answers – Fixya

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 10-14-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: I added two new links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-26-2018, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Official DCM KX speaker series discussion thread

My living room speaker setup consists of two KX-12 Series Two speakers serving as my front-left and front-right speakers, a KX-Center Series Two speaker serving as my center speaker, and two KX-6 Series Two speakers serving as side-surround speakers. My AVR is a JVC RX-8000VBK. I don't have a subwoofer, so in my AVR's settings, for subwoofer, I have selected "no", which makes my AVR redirect the LFE channel of Dolby Digital and DTS content into any of the five channels whose speakers I have set as "large" in my AVR's settings. I have set all five of them to large, following my AVR's manual's instructions for speakers with a woofer of their size. I think it said to set it to 'large' for speakers whose woofers are 4" or bigger, and my center and surround speakers, named above and detailed in the links I provided, have 6" woofers.

I want to know: if I start looking at AVRs and amplifiers to replace my current AVR, what specifications and features should I look for to get the best possible sound out of these speakers? Not only do I want the best sound quality possible, I'd also like an AVR or amplifier that pushes bass into these like a subwoofer's amplifier pushes bass into the subwoofer's driver. Something that makes the bass pound as if a subwoofer was present. After all, if you do the YouTube search I mentioned above, you'll see what my KX-12 Series 2 speakers are capable of, when they are connected to capable hardware. Side note: I started a separate thread "AVR or amplifier that can amplify the LFE channel and then mix it into the others?" If anyone knows of any AVRs or amplifiers that can do that, then please post in that thread!

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 09-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2018, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hey, I just picked a pair of these up. I only need them to use when I DJ my sons wedding, they are efficient and reviewed well. They don't have the bass I was hoping for. I would say it is mediocre. But they do play loud. Doesn't seem to be a lot of other users....

Home Theater: Emotiva UMC-200, Citation 5.1 running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds), Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" tab tensioned screen or Vizio E-701B-3 - 70"
2.0 setup: Schiit Freya Tube Preamp, Citation 5.1, Mirage M3SIs, Onkyo DV-CP702 (CD transport), Schiit Modi Multibit DAC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me the min. RMS (nominal) power and peak power specifications of my DCM KX-12 Series 2, KX-Center Series 2, and KX-6 Series 2 speakers? I have searched with Bing, using queries such as [DCM KX (12 OR Center OR 6) "series 2" watts (min.-RMS OR nominal) peak power] (without the brackets) and [DCM KX (12 OR Center OR 6) "series 2" watts ("min. RMS" OR nominal) peak power] (without the brackets) and skimmed the pages I linked to in my first post in this thread, and have not found this information. These speakers' manual--one of the things that I linked to--provides a specification called their "useable power range", but that is less specific than their min. RMS (nominal) power and peak power specifications.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus
post #5 of 5 Old 09-03-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Question dispersion patterns of KX-Center Series 2, KX-12 Series 2, and KX-6 Series 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
My living room speaker setup consists of two KX-12 Series Two speakers serving as my front-left and front-right speakers, a KX-Center Series Two speaker serving as my center speaker, and two KX-6 Series Two speakers serving as side-surround speakers.
I searched the web to try to find out the dispersion patterns of my speakers, but this information isn't available online (or, if it is, I haven't found it). As of a few days ago (when I searched), Bing searches for [DCM KX speaker dispersion] and [DCM KX speaker dispersion pattern] reveal no results that reveal the dispersion pattern of DCM KX speakers in the first page of search results. Can anyone provide this information? The manual for KX Series 2 speakers provides some technical information, including driver information, but not dispersion patterns.

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 09-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers