Speaker Upgrade. Advice needed! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By ack_bk
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By Doe Doe
  • 1 Post By zieglj01
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 2 Post By Doe Doe

post #1 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smile Speaker Upgrade. Advice needed!

Good Morning, from SW Florida!

Okay, so my Goodwill hunts continue to prosper! A few weeks ago I found yet another great deal on a receiver.

I purchased an immaculate Onkyo TX-NR709 Receiver for less than 60 bucks, it works wonderfully and came as a great upgrade to my previous Goodwill find (Onkyo HT-R510).

My current speaker setup is as follows:

Sub: Onkyo SKW-200. This one I'm gonna keep for now, it fills the room perfectly for me, no upgrade needed.

L/R: Onkyo SKF-200F. BIG ASS SPEAKERS. dual woofers + tweeter, I like that they add a lot of midrange bass to the sound, it helps fill the front end to my ears.

Center: MartinLogan Motion 6. This thing added amazing clarity to the front of the room, paired with the "boomier" sound from the L/R. it sounds great. No need to upgrade.

Front High L/R: MartinLogan Motion 4. I did front height due to room dimensions. loved the effect of the sound from up near the ceiling. No need to upgrade

Surround L/R: Onkyo SKM-200s These sound fine, they're nothing special.

With that, I'd like to upgrade the front L/R and surround L/R speakers.

I want to find speakers that pair well with the MartinLogans, in that, they are great for clarity, but lacking in punch/midrange IMO. So finding speakers that fill in those gaps is a must.

Finally, my budget. I'm just getting into this world of AV, and I love it, but I'm a fulltime student and I'm on a rather strict budget! All the equipment noted above has been purchased secondhand (from Goodwill, of all places) for less than 300 bucks total!

If possible, id like to stay >300 for the front L/R (pair) if possible. And less so for the rear surrounds.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
post #3 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3363 Post(s)
Liked: 3264
Just squeeze the budget a little more -- the Motion 10
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Loga...oAAOSwvv1al8Pi

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Just squeeze the budget a little more -- the Motion 10
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Loga...oAAOSwvv1al8Pi
390 with free shipping at that! not a bad idea, I like that its got dual 5.25 woofers. that should fill out the sound nicely. One time I tried swapping the Onkyo SKF-200F's with the little Motion 4's. it was pretty lacking for movies. very little midrange, tons of clarity. just not so much punch. didn't blend well with the sub. these might do the trick?
post #5 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Marchant View Post
390 with free shipping at that! not a bad idea, I like that its got dual 5.25 woofers. that should fill out the sound nicely. One time I tried swapping the Onkyo SKF-200F's with the little Motion 4's. it was pretty lacking for movies. very little midrange, tons of clarity. just not so much punch. didn't blend well with the sub. these might do the trick?
Bingo!
Brian Marchant likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #6 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 09:56 AM

I would also keep the Monoprice Air Motion on a short list -- sold each
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16221

----------------
Who AM I
post #7 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
I know you stated that you are happy with the motion 6, but for movies the center does most of the work ... those towers look nice, but you might want to consider pairing them up with something like the emotiva center. You could reuse the Motion 6 for 6.1 surround if you want (and your avr supports it).

And something over your budget, but if you want new and easily returnable (so easy to test first), BB has the ML LX16s at $400/pair. Geoff has those and likes them. I think they are basically the same as Motion 15s, just cheaper w/ some aesthetic differences.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 03-01-2018 at 01:57 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-01-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3174 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
If you want a speaker that will continue to give you a warm mid-bass signature, look at the Polk Signature S20, $299/pair. There are smaller versions for surround duty, S15 and S10.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
If you want a speaker that will continue to give you a warm mid-bass signature, look at the Polk Signature S20, $299/pair. There are smaller versions for surround duty, S15 and S10.
$270.00 on amazon right now! you think they'll pair well with the Motion 6 center I'm currently using? the Motion 6 is bright, I love what it adds to the rest of the system. so making sure that I don't add any more brightness than I already have is paramount.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
the Motion 6 is bright, I love what it adds to the rest of the system. so making sure that I don't add any more brightness than I already have is paramount.
Look at the Emotiva B1
https://www.amazon.com/Emotiva-Audio...70_&dpSrc=srch

----------------
Who AM I
post #11 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 3174 Post(s)
Liked: 2965
Quote:
$270.00 on amazon right now! you think they'll pair well with the Motion 6 center I'm currently using? the Motion 6 is bright, I love what it adds to the rest of the system. so making sure that I don't add any more brightness than I already have is paramount.
The Polk is a bit "bright" too, with the typical Polk sound character of a "V" shaped frequency response curve. As to whether they will mesh? Your guess is as good as mine. Depends on your ears, the Audyssey mods, the room, your astrological chart, and your hairline ...

Frankly, the only sure match is more of the same, but you don't want that. However, if you go too far the other way, then you pretty much assure yourself of not getting them to mesh.

There are no guarantees. You throw the dice and take your chances .. just like everybody else.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9675 Post(s)
Liked: 6708
Quote:
S20 is the red trace. Stereophile provides similar charts and always with a caveat that the humps near 150hz are a result of the measurement method.

Certainly not a roller coaster type chart for the S20.

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 13 Old 03-02-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
I'll assume the Polk sigs are a bit warmer than the Motion 6. And I'd also assume it really won't match the ML sound, seeing as the tweeters are so different. The Emotivas mentioned might be a good option for you.

I've tested the Motion 6's somewhat bigger brother, the Motion 8... I found it nice for clarity, but it lacked mid-bass (and definitely bass), and tonality was off a bit. The thing I'm a bit curious about is if the lack of mid-bass/warmth would necessarily even be solved by swapping out your left/rights.

You stated this earlier:
I want to find speakers that pair well with the MartinLogans, in that, they are great for clarity, but lacking in punch/midrange IMO. So finding speakers that fill in those gaps is a must.

Again, the center is the workhorse for HT. And simply changing left/rights won't necessarily 'fill in those gaps', as it's not like the center signal's mid-bass then gets shared to the sides.... it's simply missing, regardless of left/rights. Unless you set an insanely high crossover I suppose, but then it'll come out of your sub instead. You could try a 110-120 crossover on that center, see if that helps at all.
RayGuy and Brian Marchant like this.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 03-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
front , ideas , speakers , surround , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page