ELAC Announces Debut 2.0 Speakers - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 626Likes

post #121 of 1582 Old 03-10-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Im upgrading to a 5.1.4 system. Potential plan: B6.2 for fronts w/ C5.2, B5.2 for rears and SVS The Prime Elevation for heights. Will the Elac's mix well with the Prime Elevation?
Any thought on this setup for Atmos, I would really appreciate it!

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1582 Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Why not just stay with Elac? What is the point of switching brands for the elevation speakers?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #123 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post
Very cool.

On using the on-walls as LCRs:

- My experience with small speakers has been that they lack the ability to produce full, natural sounding voices and music, because they fall off too much in the mid-bass. They sound thin. It may depend on what you're using them for. I wouldn't use them if music is a significant part of your plans.
Thanks for the comment.

Primary use would be for watching movies and TV. Music use would be limited to casual listening when I am lounging in bed. For perspective, these would replace a high-end sound bar in the bedroom.

For serious music listening, I would use the Paradigm Signature Setup in my living room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkamo View Post
Hi,

Yep, the 6.5" Debut 2.0 models will be in-store and on display in one of the Magnolia Home Theater demo rooms. We will issue a press release next week regarding this.

The only thing I am not 100% sure on is exactly what day they will be put on display (Around March 15th). We have already trained most of the staff on the new models and key trainers for Magnolia have all listened to them.

Thanks,

Chris
ELAC
Elac enthusiasts may be disappointed if they're hoping to hear the new Elac Debut 2 speakers at Best Buy Magnolia Stores on Thursday.

This weekend I visited two Best Buy stores in the Minneapolis, MN area. One of the stores, a Magnolia Design Center, is a stones throw from the BB corporate headquarters in Richfield, MN. I explained the rumor that they may have the new speakers available for demo, on or about March 15. Employees at both stores were totally clueless about the pending release of the new speaker series.

I don't think the employees were just being coy about the release. They were very sincere and said they normally don't stock any Elac speakers, but they could order them.

I was a bit disappointed to hear that. I had set aside that day and was getting my credit card warmed up!

So, it will be interesting to see if there are any news releases early this week.

Last edited by PokeyBoy; 03-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
post #125 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3616 Post(s)
Liked: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeyBoy View Post
Elac enthusiasts may be disappointed if they're hoping to hear the new Elac Debut 2 speakers at Best Buy Magnolia Stores on Thursday.

This weekend I visited two Best Buy stores in the Minneapolis, MN area. One of the stores, a Magnolia Design Center, is stones throw from the BB corporate headquarters in Richfield, MN. I explained the rumor that they may have the new speakers available for demo, on or about March 15. Employees at both stores were totally clueless about the pending release of the new speaker series.

I don't think the employees were just being coy about the release. They were very sincere and said they normally don't stock any Elac speakers, but they could order them.

I was a bit disappointed to hear that. I had set aside that day and was getting my credit card warmed up!

So, it will be interesting to see if there are any news releases early this week.

Could be that only the standalone Magnolia Design Centers will have them at first. They likely can be ordered to be shipped to the Magnolia department at your local store.
post #126 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Could be that only the standalone Magnolia Design Centers will have them at first. They likely can be ordered to be shipped to the Magnolia department at your local store.
Instant gratification!!
post #127 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Instant gratification!!
I checked in at a Magnolia store, and one person was clueless. Another guy, though, said they were coming in in dribs and drabs--literally one speaker at a time. So the speakers might be in the stores on Thursday, but the "training" of Magnolia employees, not to mention awareness of what's happening, has not yet trickled down. I expect at least some stores to have some speakers out; I think this is the first time they will have ELAC products in stores, so employees might not have adjusted/become aware that things are changing.
post #128 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartamets View Post
I checked in at a Magnolia store, and one person was clueless. Another guy, though, said they were coming in in dribs and drabs--literally one speaker at a time. So the speakers might be in the stores on Thursday, but the "training" of Magnolia employees, not to mention awareness of what's happening, has not yet trickled down. I expect at least some stores to have some speakers out; I think this is the first time they will have ELAC products in stores, so employees might not have adjusted/become aware that things are changing.
May I ask your general location? If I left now, maybe I could be there by Thursday!
post #129 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Instant gratification!!

Yep, yep, I know all too well.

I still remember back in the old days before direct deposit, up at the RSL store in Canoga Park, on the day a new piece of ARC equipment comes in. Of course with ARC, never cheap. Talking to salesman Mike (last name's all gone) and using the store phone (before cell phones) calling my bank to see if my pay check had cleared yet. Had to have it THAT day too!!
PokeyBoy and spartamets like this.
post #130 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

This weekend I visited two Best Buy stores in the Minneapolis, MN area. One of the stores, a Magnolia Design Center, is a stones throw from the BB corporate headquarters in Richfield, MN. I explained the rumor that they may have the new speakers available for demo, on or about March 15. Employees at both stores were totally clueless about the pending release of the new speaker series.

Hi Pokey,

They will be in the Magnolia Home Theater Stores (Not the design centers). There are many more Home Theater Stores than design centers..

They should be there close to the 15t (Just don't know the exact date). They are already in all of the warehouses....

Chris
ELAC
post #131 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Instant gratification!!
You one of the guys who gets in line 3 days before the new iphone comes out?

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #132 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
May I ask your general location? If I left now, maybe I could be there by Thursday!
Baltimore. The store I checked has a lesser Magnolia room than the one I usually go to.
post #133 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Pokey,

They will be in the Magnolia Home Theater Stores (Not the design centers). There are many more Home Theater Stores than design centers..

They should be there close to the 15t (Just don't know the exact date). They are already in all of the warehouses....

Chris
ELAC
Do you know if they will carry any other speakers from you? I'm in the market for a UC5, and right now I can't even but it from them online. The 2.0 launch seems like a god opportunity to get a healthy sample of your products out there. Thanks.
post #134 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hi Pokey,

Chris
ELAC
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the info. I will check back with the stores on Thursday. I did check at two different Magnolia stores. One was a design center the other was not. Maybe they will get something early next week.
post #135 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post

Yes .... Android though.
post #136 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Ha, Ha! Nope, not me. I don't even own a smartphone; just and old guy with a flip phone!

I don't even bother with the Black Friday sales any longer.

I've been on the fence too long, with the speaker decision, so I'm anxious to buy.

Last edited by PokeyBoy; 03-11-2018 at 06:59 PM.
post #137 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartamets View Post
Baltimore. The store I checked has a lesser Magnolia room than the one I usually go to.
Hey spartamets,

I probably won't make it to Baltimore by Thursday! Maybe something will show up a bit closer to home.
post #138 of 1582 Old 03-11-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Hey spartamets,

I probably won't make it to Baltimore by Thursday! Maybe something will show up a bit closer to home.
Yeah, you'd have a bit of a drive, and I'm not confident they'll even be here. I was going crazy waiting for the speakers I ordered to come in the mail, so I know where you're at. I ordered a subwoofer and two other sets all in short order, so I got used to rushing home to check if packages arrived these last few weeks. I still keep looking for packages, even on Sundays, and even though they've all arrived already. It's like being a kid on Christmas. I'm actually glad I still need to replace my center channel speaker, so I can have something else new to look forward to. You'll be very, very happy when you make the upgrade if you've waited as long as I did (12+ years).
PokeyBoy likes this.
post #139 of 1582 Old 03-12-2018, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk2000 View Post
No prices? No weight specs other than the subwoofer, which is very light weight. Just not very appealing. I'm a fan of sealed speakers which seems to be a rare breed these days, but I guess manufacturers are opting for the easy way out- easy design, lightweight, cheap construction, just not very inspiring, and I'd take any reviews of Elac, SVS, Emotiva and many of these new trendy brands with a grain of salt.
Pricing is shown at Amazon although not currently in stock

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
post #140 of 1582 Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Chris/Andrew

Would the 5.2 Center be a good timbre match for my front UF-5s? The UC-5 wouldn’t fit in my cabinet (don’t think the 6.2 would either) so had to keep my old DCM center. Would love to have all Elacs.

Vince

Marantz 7010 AVR --->7.2.4, LG OLED65E6, Oppo UDP-203, Onkyo TX-750 (2nd amp), Elac UF5 Front, DCM CX-Center, Elac UB5 Surrounds Polk A4 (Back) Energy CB-20 x 4 (ceiling) Hsu VTF2-MK4 x 2 Subs, Harmony Elite
post #141 of 1582 Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 AM

B&H Photo now has a listing for the Debut 2.0 B6.2.

New Item - Coming Soon
Expected availability: Apr 13, 2018

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...6_2_2_way.html
post #142 of 1582 Old 03-12-2018, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hmm will wait for some reviews. I was leaning toward KEF Q100 but these may step in place with more detailed mid/high than original.
post #143 of 1582 Old 03-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Been playing with the b5.2 and F5.2 today. Really outstanding so far. Will take you off guard at first because of how different they sound compared to original Debut. However as you listen, you hear nuances in the sound that are similar. Bass is definitely leaner, but also even more articulate and nuanced (higher resolution). And the b5 was no slouch.

The main thing that makes these WORLDS better than the already outstanding b5 is the fact that they are dramatically more open sounding speakers. They effortlessly cast images with good height and depth, but also images outside the speakers. There were several songs I tried which create sounds clearly to the left of the left speaker, or to the right of the right speaker on high end setups, where the debut 2.0 performed amazingly well.

The best part about these so far, is the fact that I’ll hear flaws, but I have to keep reminding myself I’m listening to a $249 pair of speakers. I’m used to listening to speakers literally 100x the price (crazy when you put it into those terms), and the fact that my brain forgets the cost of the elac, but also even naturally compares the sound to dramatically higher end speakers.

As with the Debut (and UniFi) — they did it again. There is something about these speakers that when set up right, gives you a very real taste of a much higher end speaker that other speakers in their price range or anywhere near it simply do not do.
helvetica bold and gajCA like this.

post #144 of 1582 Old 03-12-2018, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Been playing with the b5.2 and F5.2 today. Really outstanding so far. Will take you off guard at first because of how different they sound compared to original Debut. However as you listen, you hear nuances in the sound that are similar. Bass is definitely leaner, but also even more articulate and nuanced (higher resolution). And the b5 was no slouch.

The main thing that makes these WORLDS better than the already outstanding b5 is the fact that they are dramatically more open sounding speakers. They effortlessly cast images with good height and depth, but also images outside the speakers. There were several songs I tried which create sounds clearly to the left of the left speaker, or to the right of the right speaker on high end setups, where the debut 2.0 performed amazingly well.

The best part about these so far, is the fact that I’ll hear flaws, but I have to keep reminding myself I’m listening to a $249 pair of speakers. I’m used to listening to speakers literally 100x the price (crazy when you put it into those terms), and the fact that my brain forgets the cost of the elac, but also even naturally compares the sound to dramatically higher end speakers.

As with the Debut (and UniFi) — they did it again. There is something about these speakers that when set up right, gives you a very real taste of a much higher end speaker that other speakers in their price range or anywhere near it simply do not do.

"how different they sound compared to original Debut"

This concerns me. I'm trying to hold off until Axpona so I can hear them. Thinking more of the F6.2s as they were the darkest or warmest of the original series. If these new ones are as bright as I think they might be, then the F6.2 might be the warmest of the series.
post #145 of 1582 Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post

Are you in any way affiliated with Elac? Also, how do you have access to the new speakers?

Inquiring minds would like to know!
helvetica bold and Spock1234 like this.
post #146 of 1582 Old 03-13-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2109
Quote:
"how different they sound compared to original Debut"

This concerns me. I'm trying to hold off until Axpona so I can hear them. Thinking more of the F6.2s as they were the darkest or warmest of the original series. If these new ones are as bright as I think they might be, then the F6.2 might be the warmest of the series.
Just get some Sonus Faber. Warm is what they do.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #147 of 1582 Old 03-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm thinking 7.1.4 setup here paired with a Denon amp, presumably DenonAVR-X6500H with HDMI 2.1 to future proof a little. Two F5.2's for front, 4 B5.2's for surrounds (maybe 2 B5.2's with 2 OW 4.2's), 4 A4.2's and I'll wait for the new 12-inch sub since its a month or two away.... Possibly one Monolith 12, not sure yet.
post #148 of 1582 Old 03-13-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Just get some Sonus Faber. Warm is what they do.

They sure are purdy, but I'm cheap. Besides, these are for my budget system.
post #149 of 1582 Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Yes .... Android though.
Quote:
I know you had SOME sense... lol
post #150 of 1582 Old 03-14-2018, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking at these and really excited! Would I be able to turn the 6.2s on their side horizontally?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
debut 2.0 , elac , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page