ELAC Announces Debut 2.0 Speakers - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 629Likes

post #1561 of 1589 Old 02-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer55 View Post
I just bought the B6.2 bookshelf speakers and C6.2 center on amazon (will hopefully have them by the end of the week). I am looking to upgrade my LCR speakers in my theater from the Polk TSX Line (220B bookshelves and 250C center). I suppose i'll find out soon enough but would it be fair to say that the ELACs would be a step up to provide better clarity for music / movies. The speakers are going behind a DIY spandex acoustically transparent screen, not sure if this has any impact on mids / treble......I also just upgraded to a new sub, SVS PB-13 Ultra.
Hopefully it's an improvement for you! If you are shopping around for theatre LCR upgrades I would suggest picking a speaker series that has a competent 3-way center speaker. A dedicated midrange driver on centers really helps with vocal clarity.
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1589 Old 02-20-2019, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post
Hopefully it's an improvement for you! If you are shopping around for theatre LCR upgrades I would suggest picking a speaker series that has a competent 3-way center speaker. A dedicated midrange driver on centers really helps with vocal clarity.
emotiva has a nice 3 way center for $250

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #1563 of 1589 Old 02-21-2019, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
emotiva has a nice 3 way center for $250
Thanks - Those Emotivas look nice however I think there would be an issue / large cost shipping to Canada and theres really no way for me to audition them. The larger center for $400 and the T1 Towers for $500 would no doubt be a great LCR.
Lp85253 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1589 Old 02-21-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
Thanks - Those Emotivas look nice however I think there would be an issue / large cost shipping to Canada and theres really no way for me to audition them. The larger center for $400 and the T1 Towers for $500 would no doubt be a great LCR.
the t1/c2 combo would be a very nice set up...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r emotiva b1's and /or kef q100's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... ascend cbm 170 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. wharfedale 10.1s... ascend cbm 170 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #1565 of 1589 Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
the t1/c2 combo would be a very nice set up...
Absolutely - The main issue in my eyes with Emotiva is that alongside the cost of the speakers you also have to factor in the price of a power amp.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #1566 of 1589 Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Absolutely - The main issue in my eyes with Emotiva is that alongside the cost of the speakers you also have to factor in the price of a power amp.
You should have stopped at "eyes" because for me, that's what kills the T1. It is not a handsome speaker, to put it nicely. I have no idea what type of decor one would need to make the T1 blend.
post #1567 of 1589 Old 02-21-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 3419
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
You should have stopped at "eyes" because for me, that's what kills the T1. It is not a handsome speaker, to put it nicely. I have no idea what type of decor one would need to make the T1 blend.
Looks fine to me.
post #1568 of 1589 Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Looks fine to me.
hahahah
Quick question - the speaker are going behind an AT screen - should there be any hesitation about putting the bookshelf speakers on their side to keep the tweeter / woofer on the same plane or is that a no-no - If not I at least have to flip them so the tweeter is lower.
post #1569 of 1589 Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 3419
Quote:
hahahah
Quick question - the speaker are going behind an AT screen - should there be any hesitation about putting the bookshelf speakers on their side to keep the tweeter / woofer on the same plane or is that a no-no - If not I at least have to flip them so the tweeter is lower.
Not an expert, but I think you would do better to flip them than put them on their side.
post #1570 of 1589 Old 02-22-2019, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the klipsch rp150m, 160s and rp center sitting in boxes as I await to move houses. These damn Elacs are just calling me due to price. I'm in Canada so cannot hear them.

The price difference between the two sets of 5 speakers is enough to upgrade to a 4k projector. Ugh...

All of our listening is movies should I just roll the dice and go with the Elacs?
post #1571 of 1589 Old 02-22-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
I have the klipsch rp150m, 160s and rp center sitting in boxes as I await to move houses. These damn Elacs are just calling me due to price. I'm in Canada so cannot hear them.

The price difference between the two sets of 5 speakers is enough to upgrade to a 4k projector. Ugh...

All of our listening is movies should I just roll the dice and go with the Elacs?
I am also in Canada - I got the ELAC Debut 6.2s yesterday and started some listening tests going back and forth with my current Polk TSX 220B speakers. I'm certainly not done my testing as I want to break the ELACs in more however going back and forth from different songs I wasn't able to distinguish any noticeable difference either positive or negative. Is it fair to say that any speaker needs at least a few hours + to break in.
post #1572 of 1589 Old 02-22-2019, 08:43 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Quote:

If purely movies, the Debut 2.0's will do that job just fine. I would much rather have a better projector or AVR.
post #1573 of 1589 Old 02-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just ordered the 6.2s and 6.2 center with the b4s as rears. Will be fine once I add the svs sub. I'll return the unopened klipsch Rp series and the 400 extra will go to a 4k pj...
mrfranc likes this.
post #1574 of 1589 Old 02-23-2019, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I suggest that you hang onto the Klipsch long enuf to do a side/side comparison with the ELACs. I have the ELAC 5.2 and have demo'd the Klipsch RP series. The ELACs are great with well-recorded music but I have found them to be a bit on the harsh side for TV/movie dialog. Since you are mostly HT you might find the RPs to be a better match for your listening. At the least, you will have to work with the ELACs to make them sound good (plus some break-in time)
post #1575 of 1589 Old 02-23-2019, 11:49 AM

I picked up a pair of KEF Q350s and as a first listen they sound great....will do some comparisons with the ELACs and Polks over the weekend however as of now I think they will be keepers.....too bad theyre quite a bit more expensive than the ELACs (basically double)
post #1576 of 1589 Old 02-23-2019, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I picked up a pair of KEF Q350s and as a first listen they sound great....will do some comparisons with the ELACs and Polks over the weekend however as of now I think they will be keepers.....too bad theyre quite a bit more expensive than the ELACs (basically double)
Yeah. I got the ELAC 5.2 L/C/R on sale recently. Just too good a price to pass up. I had intended to spend more on a new setup for new house but thought that I'd try the ELACs based upon mostly good reviews. Initially I was a bit disappointed but working with them for a couple of weeks I was able to get to a point where they sound great on well recorded music and decent on movies/TV. One good point is that now I can spend months/months investigating an upgrade . Waiting to see how the new ELAC Carina series is reviewed or maybe even the PS Audio Sprout speakers under development.
post #1577 of 1589 Old 02-25-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 0
bookshelves better than towers

I was in a local electronics store last week to audition the Elac f6.2's (towers) and the b6.2's (bookshelves). Believe it or not, the b6.2's actually sounded better. The f6.2's did have a little more bass though. Listening to them at the same volume on the receiver, the b6.2's sounded lounder and had better highs/mids. Not sure how this could be, in that they have less drivers than the f6.2's. Does this make sense? I asked the sales rep who was also listening at the time, and they could also hear the difference. The rep had said that that the towers were more efficient than the bookshelves, hence why they sounded different. The rep also said that with more drivers and a larger speaker, the receiver has to work harder and it will take more power to drive tower speakers than bookshelves. I guess the rule about towers for a large room and bookshelves for small rooms don't really apply in this case. It seems to me that the bookshelves would be better in this case, for filling a large room with wall to wall sound
post #1578 of 1589 Old 02-25-2019, 07:29 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdbur View Post
I was in a local electronics store last week to audition the Elac f6.2's (towers) and the b6.2's (bookshelves). Believe it or not, the b6.2's actually sounded better. The f6.2's did have a little more bass though. Listening to them at the same volume on the receiver, the b6.2's sounded lounder and had better highs/mids. Not sure how this could be, in that they have less drivers than the f6.2's. Does this make sense? I asked the sales rep who was also listening at the time, and they could also hear the difference. The rep had said that that the towers were more efficient than the bookshelves, hence why they sounded different. The rep also said that with more drivers and a larger speaker, the receiver has to work harder and it will take more power to drive tower speakers than bookshelves. I guess the rule about towers for a large room and bookshelves for small rooms don't really apply in this case. It seems to me that the bookshelves would be better in this case, for filling a large room with wall to wall sound

I probably wouldn't go back to that store again if I were seeking advice...
murlidher likes this.
post #1579 of 1589 Old 02-25-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8587 Post(s)
Liked: 5787
Quote:
The rep had said that that the towers were more efficient than the bookshelves, hence why they sounded different.

The rep also said that with more drivers and a larger speaker, the receiver has to work harder and it will take more power to drive tower speakers than bookshelves.
Ha ha ha.

In the first sentence he told you that more often than not towers are more efficient in a given line, (which is usually correct), and in the second sentence he told you that towers were more inefficient.

So he covered all his bases.

Elac actually rates them both at 87db but it sounds like under the circumstances you were listening the bookshelves were more efficient.

But that could have been a hookup issue.

In general when auditioning most will prefer the louder speaker which is why to correctly audition speakers they should be level matched with an SPL meter.

Geoff A. J., California
post #1580 of 1589 Old 02-28-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Elac debut 2.0

Those of you that have heard/compared the f6.2 and b6.2, which do you think are better for home theater? Also, are the bookshelves powerful enough to fill a large room (20x20) will excellent sound at moderate to loud (not exceptionally loud or reference level) levels? Also, I've heard that the Debut 2.0 series need a lot of power to sound good, and are not that great when played at lower volume? Is this true? Also, some have said that the Center really has to be at ear level to sound good, otherwise if it is off-axis it won't sound good. Is this also true? In reality, how many center channels are at ear level? They're not, or else it would be blocking the screen. What to do then?
post #1581 of 1589 Old 02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

If you want to "fill a room" with sound, then towers are the answer, period.

The Debut 2.0's don't need a ton of power to get loud or even bring out dynamics; a normal AVR should be sufficient.
post #1582 of 1589 Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Those of you that have heard/compared the f6.2 and b6.2, which do you think are better for home theater? Also, are the bookshelves powerful enough to fill a large room (20x20) will excellent sound at moderate to loud (not exceptionally loud or reference level) levels? Also, I've heard that the Debut 2.0 series need a lot of power to sound good, and are not that great when played at lower volume? Is this true? Also, some have said that the Center really has to be at ear level to sound good, otherwise if it is off-axis it won't sound good. Is this also true? In reality, how many center channels are at ear level? They're not, or else it would be blocking the screen. What to do then?

ELAC Debut 2.0 Home Theater Speaker System Review

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...system-review/

For the center channel.
murlidher likes this.
post #1583 of 1589 Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
From looking at those measurements, that's telling me 'too bright' I personally like to see more high-end roll off than that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makav3li View Post
I prefer no roll off. Flatter is better IMO.
Different strokes for different folks. Which is why I love my new NAD C 658 with integrated Dirac Live Full Frequency. You can make the frequency response flat or roll off the high-end frequencies or have a gradual downward slope (typically what Dirac recommends out of the box).

Here is the Dirac recommended target curve for my Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 bookshelf speakers. Notice the downward slope.

Here is the NAD recommended target curve for the same speakers. NAD recommends boosting the bass and rolling off the highs.

Here is my current stereo system iteration. Still fine tuning speaker placement. Next up is some custom YG Acoustics/ Hypex UCD400 monoblock amps, a subwoofer, fresh wall paint (dark blue upper, dove white wainscoting and trim) and acoustic room treatments. Then of course another round of Dirac room measurements and filter creation.
gajCA and svelc like this.
post #1584 of 1589 Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Which is why I love my new NAD C 658 with integrated Dirac Live Full Frequency. You can make the frequency response flat or roll off the high-end frequencies or have a gradual downward slope (typically what Dirac recommends out of the box).

Here is the Dirac recommended target curve for my Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 bookshelf speakers. Notice the downward slope.

Here is the NAD recommended target curve for the same speakers. NAD recommends boosting the bass and rolling off the highs.

Here is my current stereo system iteration. Still fine tuning speaker placement. Next up is some custom YG Acoustics/ Hypex UCD400 monoblock amps, a subwoofer, fresh wall paint (dark blue upper, dove white wainscoting and trim) and acoustic room treatments. Then of course another round of Dirac room measurements and filter creation.

Wow that seems like a lot of gear for those speakers. Not knocking them they are what I use. But always saw them as a more budget friendly option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1585 of 1589 Old 07-01-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi all, setting up a small bedroom setup, have b6.2 as fronts, and b6 as surrounds with no centre and sub. The room is really small and don't feel the need of sub seperately.

Because of huge size of b6, thinking to replace them with elac ow4.2 for it's compact size for surrounds and use one of B6 as center speaker with another just remain unused.

Any suggestions on this?

Amp - marantz sr6011.

Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

HT 5.2.4 - Marantz SR6011 -> Elac B6.2 + Elac C5.2 + Elac B6 (surround) + JBL Control 1 (TM) + JBL B15 (RH) + Two SVS PB1000
Samsung Bluray Player
post #1586 of 1589 Old 07-01-2019, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Wow that seems like a lot of gear for those speakers. Not knocking them they are what I use. But always saw them as a more budget friendly option
They’re definitely a budget friendly option but also punch well above their weight. With a sub they’re pretty darn good. Of course there’s no comparison to Focal or TAD or other high end speakers. But the technology and design qualities flow down from the higher end Elacs into their entry level speakers. They’ll hold me over until I can afford better speakers. It’s an incremental process.
post #1587 of 1589 Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
They’re definitely a budget friendly option but also punch well above their weight. With a sub they’re pretty darn good. Of course there’s no comparison to Focal or TAD or other high end speakers. But the technology and design qualities flow down from the higher end Elacs into their entry level speakers. They’ll hold me over until I can afford better speakers. It’s an incremental process.

I hear you. I love mine. I have them with the 6.2 center in a 5.2 setup with two decent Klipsch subs.

They are by far the best speakers I have owned yet so I think they sound great. I just commented because normally with all that gear for a stereo setup people have pricey speakers. Glad to see they are holding their own.

I don't listen to music enough but when I do they always impress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1588 of 1589 Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all.

I have the elac Atmos enabled upfiring speakers (latest version) and I’m not hearing the vertical effect when they’re angled up toward ceiling. Would they work as wall mounted height speakers?

post #1589 of 1589 Old 07-06-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8587 Post(s)
Liked: 5787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericuf View Post
Hi all.

I have the elac Atmos enabled upfiring speakers (latest version) and I’m not hearing the vertical effect when they’re angled up toward ceiling. Would they work as wall mounted height speakers?

Surprisingly, (at least to me), the owners manual does not want you to consider that option.

I'd still give it a try though.
RayGuy likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
debut 2.0 , elac , speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page