AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   ELAC Announces Debut 2.0 Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2960754-elac-announces-debut-2-0-speakers.html)

imagic 03-01-2018 01:28 PM

ELAC Announces Debut 2.0 Speakers

ELAC's Debut 2.0 series of speakers offers across the board updates and upgrades to the already excellent Debut series including new drivers and cabinets.

Click this link to read more and see the specs in one place: https://www.avsforum.com/elac-introdu...ries-speakers/

l0nestar8 03-01-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55777810)
More info coming soon but the gist of it is... new tweeters, new waveguides, new woofers, new cabinets. Please stand by...

I love the bass on the Debut series. If they can improve midrange clarity and cabinet resonances, then color me intrigued.

MORT A POTTY 03-01-2018 03:47 PM

Well all the specs and deets are up on the website.

https://www.elac.com/series/debut-2-0/

Basically here are the huge bullet points

- front ported
- ~44/46 Hz - 35k
- new black ash vinyl finish
- braced cabinets!
- marginally higher prices (20-30 bucks)

frank xbe 03-01-2018 06:08 PM

I like my Elac B6 but nothing wrong with Elac improving the line.

RWetmore 03-02-2018 07:01 AM

Wow...looks really great. I especially like the front port and the extended high frequency range to 35Khz.

Lp85253 03-02-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l0nestar8 (Post 55778166)
I love the bass on the Debut series. If they can improve midrange clarity and cabinet resonances, then color me intrigued.

a little definition and top end clarity would go a long way...

imagic 03-02-2018 08:02 AM

TuteTibiImperes 03-02-2018 08:22 AM

Those OW 4.2s are going to make a lot of people happy looking for low-profile surround speakers.

The new woofers aren't quite as pretty with the 'outie' plastic dustcap, but if the performance is better that's what really matters.

I wonder if this means a Uni-Fi refresh is in the works as well. I haven't paid a tremendous amount of attention to the Debuts just because the Uni-Fis offer a lot more performance for a small price premium (and because coaxial drivers are cool) but I know the Debuts have been well regarded as music speakers, with the aggressive treble roll-off probably being the only thing holding them back from being more popular as HT speakers as well. If Elac has opened up the top end with these they could be real winners all-around.

bluewizard 03-02-2018 12:03 PM

It looks like the Subwoofer and Floorstanding speakers have a Bottom Slotted Port. That seems appealing if it is tuned right, which I expect it would be.

Steve/bluewizard

Timobkg 03-02-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes (Post 55781316)
Those OW 4.2s are going to make a lot of people happy looking for low-profile surround speakers.

Definitely! If they were available a few months ago, I would have probably bought them for my living room.

Quote:

I wonder if this means a Uni-Fi refresh is in the works as well. I haven't paid a tremendous amount of attention to the Debuts just because the Uni-Fis offer a lot more performance for a small price premium (and because coaxial drivers are cool) but I know the Debuts have been well regarded as music speakers, with the aggressive treble roll-off probably being the only thing holding them back from being more popular as HT speakers as well. If Elac has opened up the top end with these they could be real winners all-around.
It wouldn't surprise me if there was one in the works for them as well. Though I view the Uni-Fi as exactly the opposite way, a small performance increase for a huge price increase. :) I mean, the Uni-Fi are clearly better than the Debut, but at more than twice the price I didn't think they're more than twice as good. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for, and how much you're looking to spend.

FWIW, I'm using Debuts for my living room HT, with Sony Cores for surrounds, and I'm happy with them. Where some view them as warm and dark, to my ears they sound natural, and brighter speakers sound too bright or harsh by comparison. I'm curious how the front ports will effect the Debut 2.0 - that's something I would have loved to have on my speakers.

bluewizard 03-02-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes (Post 55781316)
... I wonder if this means a Uni-Fi refresh is in the works as well. I haven't paid a tremendous amount of attention to the Debuts just because the Uni-Fis offer a lot more performance for a small price premium ....

In my opinion, the one (perhaps two) thing missing for the Uni-Fi line was larger floorstanding speakers. I would love to see a 2x6.5" model, or ...dare I say ...dare I hope ...a 2x8" model.

Steve/bluewizard

hk2000 03-02-2018 12:34 PM

No prices? No weight specs other than the subwoofer, which is very light weight. Just not very appealing. I'm a fan of sealed speakers which seems to be a rare breed these days, but I guess manufacturers are opting for the easy way out- easy design, lightweight, cheap construction, just not very inspiring, and I'd take any reviews of Elac, SVS, Emotiva and many of these new trendy brands with a grain of salt.

imagic 03-02-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk2000 (Post 55782854)
No prices? No weight specs other than the subwoofer, which is very light weight. Just not very appealing. I'm a fan of sealed speakers which seems to be a rare breed these days, but I guess manufacturers are opting for the easy way out- easy design, lightweight, cheap construction, just not very inspiring, and I'd take any reviews of Elac, SVS, Emotiva and many of these new trendy brands with a grain of salt.

Weight specs added

buzzy_ 03-02-2018 12:47 PM

The on-walls also caught my eye. I happen to like that style. There aren't a lot like that on the market, maybe they're not popular. Cambridge Audio had something similar but a little bigger, the WS30, but it's not clear to me it was actually available much.

The specs are typical meaningless specs, though. No way that onwall goes to 70hz in any meaningful way.

Quote:

I don't think you can really criticize the manufacturers for selling what people want to buy. At the price point, they are delivering a lot of happiness and enjoyment for the money. I'm happy to see affordable, good sounding speakers become readily available.

I too like and own sealed speakers, but they are (obviously) not superior in every way to other speakers. Different people have different tradeoffs, cost and efficiency matter more to some than others.

MORT A POTTY 03-02-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

You are aware that these are cheap speakers, right? If you want higher quality sealed boxes and expensive designs, Elac has an Adante series just for you. These are just trying to deliver good sound at affordable prices. Nothing more, nothing less. As an owner of the Uni-Fi series - I'd say mission accomplished. No frills, just good sounding speakers.

TuteTibiImperes 03-02-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MORT A POTTY (Post 55783132)
You are aware that these are cheap speakers, right? If you want higher quality sealed boxes and expensive designs, Elac has an Adante series just for you. These are just trying to deliver good sound at affordable prices. Nothing more, nothing less. As an owner of the Uni-Fi series - I'd say mission accomplished. No frills, just good sounding speakers.

The Adantes aren't sealed either, the front-mounted bass driver is actually a passive radiator which essentially functions like a port.

MORT A POTTY 03-02-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes (Post 55783302)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MORT A POTTY (Post 55783132)

The Adantes aren't sealed either, the front-mounted bass driver is actually a passive radiator which essentially functions like a port.

not exactly, there are benefits to using a passive radiator over a port. You get no chuffing, for example, which is definitely one of, if not the worst byproduct of a port. Additionally it doesn't interfere with placement as much as a rear port would. (Relevant because until yesterday or so it was the only type of port he had used at Elac).

DavidK442 03-02-2018 03:36 PM

This is good news as I am looking for an upgrade to my Pioneer SP-BS22-LR living room speakers.
Didn't think the B6's treble would be much of an upgrade and disappointed that the Unifi line does not come with a 6" bass driver.
That seems like a real handicap for a 3-way design to me. I wonder if the 5" driver was a marketing decision to differentiate the Unifi from the similar, but much more expensive, Adante?
Hopefully the new B6 covers all the bases...otherwise I will give up on budget speakers and save my lunch money for a pair of Revel M16's.

TuteTibiImperes 03-02-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidK442 (Post 55783904)
This is good news as I am looking for an upgrade to my Pioneer SP-BS22-LR living room speakers.
Didn't think the B6's treble would be much of an upgrade and disappointed that the Unifi line does not come with a 6" bass driver.
That seems like a real handicap for a 3-way design to me. I wonder if the 5" driver was a marketing decision to differentiate the Unifi from the similar, but much more expensive, Adante?
Hopefully the new B6 covers all the bases...otherwise I will give up on budget speakers and save my lunch money for a pair of Revel M16's.

The Uni-Fi line came out a couple of years before the Adante, so I doubt that had anything to do with it. Since the UB5 is a 3-way speaker the woofer is a pure woofer, not doing double-duty as both a midrange and a woofer as it is in the Debut line, so you get cleaner midrange and nice strong bass. When I initially demoed the UB5s I was amazed at the quantity and quality of bass that they reproduced.

I wouldn’t be turned off by the 5” woofer, but the Revel M16s are awesome as well. You’ll want a sub with any of them though.

EPlay 03-02-2018 04:02 PM

Second para should read "now":

"Plus, the tuned bass ports are not located on the front of the center channel and bookshelf models, for easier placement."

imagic 03-02-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPlay (Post 55784040)
Second para should read "now":

"Plus, the tuned bass ports are not located on the front of the center channel and bookshelf models, for easier placement."

While I fixed that, sometimes the caching is a bit slow to update. Thank you for the heads up.

khurramtm 03-02-2018 05:08 PM

I would've liked to see the sub hit 20Hz at $450. I understand the money goes to the magic of the app but still. I do like the changes made to the series very much.

Before anyone asks, CNET has the pricing.

Sent from my noble decide. Please exucse any typos.

Pop Zeus 03-02-2018 09:25 PM

I'd be very curious to read how these end up sounding in relation to the UB5s. If I could run the B6.2 as an "audiophile" stereo pair from a small amp, I'd be ecstatic.

RWetmore 03-03-2018 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55781194)

Mark,

When do you anticipate getting a set of these to review? Soon I hope.

bgtighe23 03-03-2018 08:39 AM

Any possibility of a Uni-fi 2.0?

helvetica bold 03-03-2018 10:32 AM

Ive been wanting to upgrade for a few years now. Currently I have Energy take classics 5.1 which I love. Since the 2.0 is about to drop Im considering the B5.2. I dont have a lot of space in my Apt, roughly 12x12x9 room. I would want to pair this with 4 SVS's Prime elevation speakers for a 5.1.4 system. Would it be better to go with B6.2s? I love the size of the take classics and I know the Elacs are much larger.

Dr. Niles Crane 03-03-2018 03:27 PM

Andrew Jones design?

CamTech 03-03-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Niles Crane (Post 55789004)
Andrew Jones design?

Well it appears so at least!

Scotth3886 03-04-2018 07:53 AM

Has anyone heard when they start shipping?

After the launch miscues of the Uni-fi series, I'm a little reluctant to buy as soon as they're shipping.

This will restart the decision of the stand mounts B6.2s vs the floor stander F6.2s all over again.

I won't do anything until after I hear them at Axpona

JDub8 03-04-2018 08:24 AM

The ELAC 1.0's pretty much just came out a couple years ago. Generally speaker model lines go for 5-8 years between redesigns. Anyone have any idea what prompted this 2.0 release? Did sales drop off? Production too difficult?