Need suggestions for in-wall surrounds to go along with LCR 1099s - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zieglj01

post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Need suggestions for in-wall surrounds to go along with LCR 1099s

Hi all

I am looking for some suggestions for my surround speakers. The front 3 are 1099s. I will be getting RSL’s in-ceiling speakers (C34E) for Atmos. Since I have width and height limitations in my room I am thinking to do in-wall speakers inside columns that will be about 4” in depth.

I have the room wired for 4 side surrounds and 2 in the back. Initially, I would just go with 2 sides and the 2 in the back with no wides.

I am not sure if there are specific ones that would work best with the 1099s. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2331
What about just using more RLS in-celings for the surrounds? That would give you a matching l/c/r and everything else would match.

If you are looking for output and sensitivity on par with the 1099s, JBL 328c's would probably keep up with the 1099's, but might outpace the RSL's. They are also deeper than 4" so you would likely have to build a frame for them.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked: 3052
Look at JBL -- in wall and in ceiling speakers
https://www.worldwidestereo.com/cate...rand%5B%5D=JBL

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
What about just using more RLS in-celings for the surrounds? That would give you a matching l/c/r and everything else would match.

If you are looking for output and sensitivity on par with the 1099s, JBL 328c's would probably keep up with the 1099's, but might outpace the RSL's. They are also deeper than 4" so you would likely have to build a frame for them.

Thank you @jjackkrash
I didn’t think of using those rsl in-ceilings in the columns. I’ll check with them and also in the rsl owner thread.

The 328s are definitely out of reach from a depth standpoint (at least for now as I want to keep the depth of the columns at 4”).

post #5 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post
Look at JBL -- in wall and in ceiling speakers

https://www.worldwidestereo.com/cate...rand%5B%5D=JBL

Thank you @zieglj01
Is the studio version worth the price difference when compared to the arena ones? Also, for surrounds would 6.5” be sufficient or should I go for the 8”?

post #6 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You could also look into running Volt 10's infinite-baffle in the columns (and in-ceiling if you are not committed to the RSL's).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ing-build.html

Your biggest issue is how insanely efficient the 1099s are compared to the in-ceilings and surrounds you are looking at. You would want the other speakers to be able to keep up with the L/C/R I would think.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
You could also look into running Volt 10's infinite-baffle in the columns (and in-ceiling if you are not committed to the RSL's).

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ing-build.html

Your biggest issue is how insanely efficient the 1099s are compared to the in-ceilings and surrounds you are looking at. You would want the other speakers to be able to keep up with the L/C/R I would think.
I was originally thinking of going with volt-6 or volt-8 in the columns (IB) but for that I’ll have to bump the column depth up to 6” or more. Those extra 4” on the axis for the columns is the dilemma. When you say the surrounds can’t keep up, will they sound bad? What will be missing?

post #8 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbrik View Post
When you say the surrounds can’t keep up, will they sound bad? What will be missing?
I don't think "sound bad" is the right word, but the 1099s are sensitivity rated at 99db - 2.83v/1m; the RSL in-ceilings are 88dB SPL at 1 watt at 1m. When you run room-correction software and go to level match these speakers its going to take 10 times as much power to get the RSLs level matched to the 1099s (assuming the same distance to the mic). This may or may not complicate getting the system integrated in your room, but its a pretty big discrepancy in sensitivity. Also, depending on how loud you run your system, the RSLs are going to run out of steam and compress way before the 1099s. So, maybe not deal breakers in your room depending on your listening habits, just some things to think about.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-05-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you @zieglj01
Is the studio version worth the price difference when compared to the arena ones? Also, for surrounds would 6.5” be sufficient or should I go for the 8”?
The Studio version is in a higher league over the Arenas -- I would go with the biggest speaker that size and budget permits -- however, 6.5 inch will still be strong
jjackkrash likes this.

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2018, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both (@jjackkrash @zieglj01 ) for taking the time to help.

I spent some time reviewing other options focusing on ones with higher sensitivity and found the following that are a bit better than the RSL’s.

Klipsch R-5800-WII has sensitivity of 94db but priced higher at $399 retail but around $280 on eBay.

HSU HIW-1 has a sensitivity of 92db priced at $150

I also looked at the JBLs from worldwidestereo and they have Arena 8IW on clearance prices at $120. The sensitivity is only 88db though.

Considering the price difference between these, I would’ve just gone with the JBL Arena 8IW but given the big difference in sensitivity between these and the 1099s, I am thinking if I should go with the HSU or bite the bullet and go with the Klipsch which come the closest to the 1099s on sensitivity.

I’m sure we can’t look at just one aspect of a speaker (sensitivity) but given that I am still figuring all this speaker terminology, I would like to get your thoughts.

Thanks again!

Last edited by bubbrik; 03-07-2018 at 03:51 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-07-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you both (@jjackkrash @zieglj01 )
I’m sure we can’t look at just one aspect of a speaker (sensitivity) but given that I am still figuring all this speaker terminology, I would like to get your thoughts.

Thanks again!
HSU measures their sensitivity in half space -- their true sensitivity will be around 86 db -- do not get too caught up in specs -- also Klipsch tends to over-rate their specs some -- the choice is up to you -- if you do choose JBL, I would still aim for the Studio series, as the drivers will have higher resolution for overall detail -- however one could still be happy with the Arena series.

You have some decent/nice options -- your call

----------------
Who AM I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page