5.1.2 setup for around 2500?? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

post #91 of 266 Old 06-14-2018, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
Will do. As far as the rest of the speakers go, I stopped locally at a Best Buy tonight and demo'd the B&W HTM62 vs a Martin Logan Motion 30. Hands down I liked the B&W better. Something in the tweeter on the Martin just didn't agree with me. I'm planning to take the B&W home in the next few weeks to put up against a KEF Q650 or SVS Prime (maybe Ultra haven't decided) and put the winner up against whichever is left of those 3 and possibly some other stuff once I go back through brand/model recommendations in this thread again. Even if I do go with the SVS Ultra for a center I'd still do their Prime series for the rest. I talked to them about that and they said it would work well even though they're not the same series.
Well, it will work for HT. Most of the sound will be coming from the center, so it's a wise choice to invest in that. But if you spend any amount of time listening to music, which uses the front left and right, you may be disappointed.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 266 Old 06-14-2018, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
Well, it will work for HT. Most of the sound will be coming from the center, so it's a wise choice to invest in that. But if you spend any amount of time listening to music, which uses the front left and right, you may be disappointed.

Lol well anything is probably an improvement over my little velodyne satellites with 4" cones and 3/4 inch silk domes with dried up ferrofluid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #93 of 266 Old 06-14-2018, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If it all possible, match the front 3.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 266 Old 06-14-2018, 11:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Will do. As far as the rest of the speakers go, I stopped locally at a Best Buy tonight and demo'd the B&W HTM62 vs a Martin Logan Motion 30. Hands down I liked the B&W better. Something in the tweeter on the Martin just didn't agree with me. I'm planning to take the B&W home in the next few weeks to put up against a KEF Q650 or SVS Prime (maybe Ultra haven't decided) and put the winner up against whichever is left of those 3 and possibly some other stuff once I go back through brand/model recommendations in this thread again. Even if I do go with the SVS Ultra for a center I'd still do their Prime series for the rest. I talked to them about that and they said it would work well even though they're not the same series.
Hey I’m perfectly fine w/ you trying any speaker that you want.

It seems for the Ultras and Primes you really have it in your mind that they are worth a listen, which I understand. I couldn’t get HSU CCB8’s out of my head, ordered them & never looked back..I fell in love.

Anyway my point being if you like the sound of the B&W I’d just skip the Prime bookshelf’s all together. They will be much brighter/harsher.

You can ask @Zorba922 opinion as he has tried the Prime bookshelf & owns Wharfedales which would have a similar sound to B&W.

I know they’re free shipping so it won’t hurt anything besides your time.

Just a thought.

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
| Spkrs | HSU CCB8 x3 | SVS Prime Elevation x2 | Polk S15 |
post #95 of 266 Old 06-15-2018, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBateman View Post

It seems for the Ultras and Primes you really have it in your mind that they are worth a listen, which I understand. I couldn’t get HSU CCB8’s out of my head, ordered them & never looked back..I fell in love.

Anyway my point being if you like the sound of the B&W I’d just skip the Prime bookshelf’s all together. They will be much brighter/harsher.

You can ask @Zorba922 opinion as he has tried the Prime bookshelf & owns Wharfedales which would have a similar sound to B&W.

Just a thought.
Yeah I just want to make sure and since it's free shipping, there's no worries there. If they are a lot brighter though then yeah that might be too much. I've heard the KEF LS50 wireless at a Best Buy Magnolia Design center before with just some bluetooth streaming to them and if the Q150's sound anywhere near them then I might end up with the KEF stuff. I really liked the LS50 sound but the price is wayyyyy out of my price range.

Pansonic TC-P60VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Arris MX011ANM (Xfinity X1) | Apple TV 4K
post #96 of 266 Old 06-15-2018, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I just want to make sure and since it's free shipping, there's no worries there. If they are a lot brighter though then yeah that might be too much. I've heard the KEF LS50 wireless at a Best Buy Magnolia Design center before with just some bluetooth streaming to them and if the Q150's sound anywhere near them then I might end up with the KEF stuff. I really liked the LS50 sound but the price is wayyyyy out of my price range.
I understand, I’d like to have a pair of LS50W in white w/ the blue driver.. ahhh they’re so sexy.
Or gray w/ the red driver..just talking about a pair makes me want to make that my next to purchase item.

I’ve read several people that own both saying the 100/150 gives you 75% of the sound for a 1/4 of the price.

You just have the decide whether front ported Q100 or rear ported Q150 is worth such a jump in price.

Personally I like the centered driver w/ rear port in the Q150/350 myself.

Although if I was to splurge the money for the Q150 I’d probably just go ahead and get the Q350’s.

Only bad thing about KEF is their center channels are ****ing outrageous

| Eqmt | Vizio 4K M50-E1 | Yamaha RX-V681 | iNUKE 3kdsp x2 | Emotiva BasX A-100 | miniDSP UMIK-1 | Monolith M1060 | Monolith USB DAC |
| Sub | Trilithon | Stonehenge Variant Subwoofer - 18” - 9ft³ - 19Hz | Marty | Microcube 390HO - 22Hz | Monolith THX Ultra 12 | Monolith THX Select 10 |
post #97 of 266 Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I understand, I’d like to have a pair of LS50W in white w/ the blue driver.. ahhh they’re so sexy.

Or gray w/ the red driver..just talking about a pair makes me want to make that my next to purchase item.

I’ve read several people that own both saying the 100/150 gives you 75% of the sound for a 1/4 of the price.

You just have the decide whether front ported Q100 or rear ported Q150 is worth such a jump in price.

Although if I was to splurge the money for the Q150 I’d probably just go ahead and get the Q350’s.

I thought about the 100 but have read the treble is tamed a bit and bass is better on the 150 so that's why I was thinking that route if I do KEF. I did almost buy some 100's the other day on Amazon cause of the price. I originally was thinking 350 for the front but I think the cabinets will be too big 150's or svs bookshelves are already seriously pushing it. If I go from a 60 to 65 inch TV or bigger before moving to a new house I might have to get creative with speaker placement.

I probably need to start doing mockups. Or if I do like the KEF center then get a pair each of the bookshelf and see which I like the fit on. If the 350's work then I don't even have to send anything back. I was thinking of running the E series satellites in the rear but I can't seem to find them and I think they might be only sold as a package not a pair.

post #98 of 266 Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought about the 100 but have read the treble is tamed a bit and bass is better on the 150 so that's why I was thinking that route if I do KEF. I did almost buy some 100's the other day on Amazon cause of the price. I originally was thinking 350 for the front but I think the cabinets will be too big 150's or svs bookshelves are already seriously pushing it. If I go from a 60 to 65 inch TV or bigger before moving to a new house I might have to get creative with speaker placement.

I probably need to start doing mockups. Or if I do like the KEF center then get a pair each of the bookshelf and see which I like the fit on. If the 350's work then I don't even have to send anything back. I was thinking of running the E series satellites in the rear but I can't seem to find them and I think they might be only sold as a package not a pair.

Yes I’ve read the bass about the newer models, especially bass upgrades. The newer ones probably have better capacitors in the crossover.

A mock-up would definitely be beneficial to see what you can fit. Just don’t forget about depth as it’s just as important.

What E series are you referring to?

post #99 of 266 Old 06-15-2018, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes I’ve read the bass about the newer models, especially bass upgrades. The newer ones probably have better capacitors in the crossover.

A mock-up would definitely be beneficial to see what you can fit. Just don’t forget about depth as it’s just as important.

What E series are you referring to?
These https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/h...-speakers.html Looks like I can get them direct as a pair. I think I was trying to find them through Amazon or Best Buy maybe. Also I actually just did measure again and I think I actually could fit 350's up front. I definitely was thinking about depth. So I guess at this point I'm up to around $3000 if I go KEF but the 2500 was a point I was trying to stick around so it didn't creep up to 3500, 4000, 5000, etc. because at those points I definitely can't do that.

post #100 of 266 Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/h...-speakers.html Looks like I can get them direct as a pair. I think I was trying to find them through Amazon or Best Buy maybe. Also I actually just did measure again and I think I actually could fit 350's up front. I definitely was thinking about depth. So I guess at this point I'm up to around $3000 if I go KEF but the 2500 was a point I was trying to stick around so it didn't creep up to 3500, 4000, 5000, etc. because at those points I definitely can't do that.
Interesting. I have not seen those before. They look like the Focal sib, little bird, & bird.

I’d give these a look as they can be used for surrounds & ATMOS as well. I don’t believe I’ve read one negative thing about them. Might save you some money.. and trust me I understand. When I first started I just wanted a step up from a soundbar & now I have thousands & thousands of dollars worth of speakers & subs laying all around the house.

I’d seriously look at reviews of the Sib & Bird though.

Sib

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-each/1.html

Little bird

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...w-atmos/1.html

Bird

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ach-new/1.html

post #101 of 266 Old 06-15-2018, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

Yeah but their Center channels are also outrageously good.

I reckon if he really liked the LS50 then the Q150 would be perfect, similar tonal qualities if not quite as polished but for HT you don’t need to same polish as demanded by music. These would be a perfect match to the Q650c.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
post #102 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just a thought.
Just tossing around pricing ideas and came up with the idea of SVS Ultra bookshelf/center up front, and prime satellites and Elevations for surround a atmos/dts:x positions. Any thoughts on that since I know the Ultra's are supposed to be a lot better? I still need to start getting centers and testing, that setup I just mentioned would be a similar price to the KEF setup I was looking at too so very doable. I definitely think I should match all 3 up front instead of the Ultra center with Prime bookshelves that I talked about before. I definitely just need to start ordering centers to test at this point.

post #103 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just tossing around pricing ideas and came up with the idea of SVS Ultra bookshelf/center up front, and prime satellites and Elevations for surround a atmos/dts:x positions. Any thoughts on that since I know the Ultra's are supposed to be a lot better? I still need to start getting centers and testing, that setup I just mentioned would be a similar price to the KEF setup I was looking at too so very doable. I definitely think I should match all 3 up front instead of the Ultra center with Prime bookshelves that I talked about before. I definitely just need to start ordering centers to test at this point.
Yes the Ultras would be a great deal better than the Primes but still overpriced imo for what you can get for the same price point.

For that budget I’d look at Ascend Acoustics. They have great value for the price.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html

Fronts —

Sierra 2
Sierra 1
CMT-340 SE

Center —

Sierra Horizon
Sierra 1 center

Surrounds —

Sierra 1
CMT-340 SE
CBM-170 SE
HTM-200 SE

They have stands/mounts for all speakers that look incredible

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ccssintro.html

They also sell Rythmik subs

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../subintro.html

Personally I’d get

Sierra 2 bookshelf w/ Sierra Horizon center w/ Sierra 1 surrounds

Or

Sierra 1 bookshelf w/ Sierra Horizon/Sierra 1 center w/ CBM-170 SE
Zorba922 and Xgatt like this.

post #104 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
I pretty much had this setup at one point in time.

Currently using Ultra bookshelfs and center for the LCR, prime bookshelfs for the surrounds and Elevations for the heights. I had the Prime bookshelfs as the L/R and ultra as the center for a fairly long time too. As a movie/games setup, the prime bookshelfs and ultra center strike a nice balance of price and performance - from SVS at least (be aware there are better deals out there but as far as SVS goes and if you like their sound, it's very good).

For movies/games, the difference between a Prime and Ultra bookshelf is not significant. Noticeable definitely, the Ultras simply have a more refined tweeter and a better control at the low end. But in a movie or a game, effects flying all over the place and things blowing up and down, honestly you can save yourself $500 by going with the Prime bookshelfs.

For MUSIC though, that's where the significant difference becomes clear. The Ultras simply don't pierce your ear but it can still sound a little metallic and be borderline bright at very high volumes (I'm talking near reference volume though). The midrange is lusher and the low end is tighter, although the bass advantage is kind of nullified if you add a sub or two (which you should anyways).

As for Prime center vs Ultra center, well to put it as simple as possible; the Ultra just sounds bigger and meatier. The Prime center has the same issue as all Prime speakers, the tweeter - which can be a little too bright for most people. That said, the Prime center is a fairly good center channel. It's one of the few centers that doesn't bog down the L/R mains, imaging is great and it doesn't crap itself when you push it to very high volumes. The Ultra center though, it's simply meatier and it can go even louder - the midbass it carries is simply more taut than the Prime center. But the bigger difference and IMO the most important thing is that the tweeter is never harsh nor even borderline bright (unlike the Ultra bookshelfs which CAN be a borderline bright).

Finally as for the Prime elevations and satellites, the Elevations are great speakers for height effects and one of the best. The only level up from there is to go in-ceiling with 8" woofers or mount huge bookshelfs, which might look kind of silly depending on the size of your room. The Elevations fixed the main issue the Prime satellites has, a cabinet that simply isn't deep enough to produce just enough bass above 80hz. You see, the prime satellites doesn't have much output below 100hz, like really any authoritative sound.
The Prime elevations fixes that issue with a deeper cabinet due to its sloping baffle. The other problem is that the Prime satellites are rather low on sensitivity, only 85db/w and it cannot take a lot of amplification before distortion becomes audible. Will the satellites pass for surround duties? Yes, only if you're in a small room and you'd have to cross them at 100hz or so. The Prime satellites do have very good imaging though, one of the best in its class.

My suggestion for an SVS setup if you're budget strapped;

Prime bookshelfs
Ultra center
Prime elevations
Some other cheap 5.25" bookshelfs or dipoles/bipoles as surrounds

At the end of the day though, since SVS offers free-trials you simply need to just take advantage of that. SVS speakers aren't very favorable on this forum it seems, I think I'm in the minority of those that really like them but my experience is of that, just an opinion. I like the SVS Ultras a lot and I'm aware that there are cheaper alternatives that sounds just as good (if not better), but the Ultras still until today hits that sweet spot that I want.

Of course do check out other recommended setups like the KEF Qx50 series that you've been eyeing already or stuff from Ascend Acoustics, Hsu, heck even PSA.

If you want to read my Ultra bookshelfs vs LS50 comparison - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...l#post51486849
gajCA likes this.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500

Last edited by Ben Tan; 06-21-2018 at 02:49 AM.
post #105 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the Emotiva E1 would give the Prime elevations a really good run for the money.
Zorba922 likes this.

post #106 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just read through your thread and I've been working on making a similar decision. Since it seems like you are interested in Kef and particularly the current Q series I'll share my experience so far. Out the gate I bought a pair of Q150s and listened to those for a few days. I was incredibly pleased, so I went ahead and ordered the Q650c, and a Kube 12b. I had that set up (3.1) for about a week and watched a ton of UHD blu rays, and some 4k streaming stuff. As far as sound goes I was very satisfied, but I was a little hung up on the size of the Q650c center. It just looked so huge on my TV stand and finding a speaker stand that could be positioned well with the use of a tv stand is an issue. So after expressing that issue, someone mentioned that I could get a single refurbished Q150 and try it out as a center (which I thought was a great idea). I tried that out for a few days, but after a week of the Q650c the Q150 just felt like too much of a compromise as a center. Having both to compare, I feel that the Q650c is a big upgrade as a center. So I've decided to choose sound over aesthetics. The Q650c is back in the center and I will just go ahead and get another refurbished Q150 and finish out my 5.1 setup. If I had to do it over again I'd get a pair of the Q150s, the Q650c, and the Q100s for the surrounds. The Q100s with the front port allow them to be close to the wall without compromising sound. I may put the refurbished pair of Q150s in my bedroom just for music and go with the Q100s for surrounds. Last thought. The Kube 12b sounds great but as others have said going with a ported sub is probably the better decision for mostly HT use.
post #107 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaste View Post
I just read through your thread and I've been working on making a similar decision. Since it seems like you are interested in Kef and particularly the current Q series I'll share my experience so far. Out the gate I bought a pair of Q150s and listened to those for a few days. I was incredibly pleased, so I went ahead and ordered the Q650c, and a Kube 12b. I had that set up (3.1) for about a week and watched a ton of UHD blu rays, and some 4k streaming stuff. As far as sound goes I was very satisfied, but I was a little hung up on the size of the Q650c center. It just looked so huge on my TV stand and finding a speaker stand that could be positioned well with the use of a tv stand is an issue. So after expressing that issue, someone mentioned that I could get a single refurbished Q150 and try it out as a center (which I thought was a great idea). I tried that out for a few days, but after a week of the Q650c the Q150 just felt like too much of a compromise as a center. Having both to compare, I feel that the Q650c is a big upgrade as a center. So I've decided to choose sound over aesthetics. The Q650c is back in the center and I will just go ahead and get another refurbished Q150 and finish out my 5.1 setup. If I had to do it over again I'd get a pair of the Q150s, the Q650c, and the Q100s for the surrounds. The Q100s with the front port allow them to be close to the wall without compromising sound. I may put the refurbished pair of Q150s in my bedroom just for music and go with the Q100s for surrounds. Last thought. The Kube 12b sounds great but as others have said going with a ported sub is probably the better decision for mostly HT use.
Thanks, I actually have an SVS PB-2000 showing up today (if FedEx ever actually gets here). I actually was thinking of that exact setup as far as Q150's/650 and 100's for surround. I'm not worried about the size. Height wise it's about an inch taller than the space in my current AV cabinet and similar height to other stuff I've been looking.

Everything is going to go in a new custom built cabinet though so I think it will work fine. It's not like some of the center's I've seen that are like 10" tall. Basically I have a 7' wide cubby that the unit will be built in. The center will sit right below the top panel, centered of course, and either side will be a pullout storage drawer. It's too bad the R300's are still so much $$$. With the sale on the R series going on the R200 center is marginally more $$ than the Q650.

With what I've heard about the tweeters on the SVS stuff I do highly suspect I won't like them. However, with a 45 day free shipping/return policy if I don't at least try one of their centers I'll always be wondering "what if".

post #108 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes the Ultras would be a great deal better than the Primes but still overpriced imo for what you can get for the same price point.

For that budget I’d look at Ascend Acoustics. They have great value for the price.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../spkrlist.html

Fronts —

Sierra 2
Sierra 1
CMT-340 SE

Center —

Sierra Horizon
Sierra 1 center

Surrounds —

Sierra 1
CMT-340 SE
CBM-170 SE
HTM-200 SE

They have stands/mounts for all speakers that look incredible

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...ccssintro.html

They also sell Rythmik subs

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages.../subintro.html

Personally I’d get

Sierra 2 bookshelf w/ Sierra Horizon center w/ Sierra 1 surrounds

Or

Sierra 1 bookshelf w/ Sierra Horizon/Sierra 1 center w/ CBM-170 SE
Thanks, I'm going to be taking a second look at all this stuff again. I made some revisions to my original idea for the entertainment unit and I think it will give me more flexibility for bookshelf sizes. Basically as long as I can fit the speakers and potentially down the road a 65" OLED into a 7' opening I'm good. I don't even know that I'll end up buying a new TV in the next few years (when we might potentially try to buy a different house) but if I end up getting speakers that won't fit in there with larger TV at the same time then I have to go back to stands which has them in the way since there is a walkway to the garage/laundry area on the left side.

post #109 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm I'm a little concerned with the Ascend stuff. It's all recommended 25-45W minimum and I'm thinking that might be too much of a requirement considering I'd be running them off of a Marantz NR-1606 slimline receiver for now. Most of the other stuff I've looked at has been 10-20W minimum recommended.

post #110 of 266 Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7149 Post(s)
Liked: 5459
Quote:
Hmmm I'm a little concerned with the Ascend stuff. It's all recommended 25-45W minimum and I'm thinking that might be too much of a requirement considering I'd be running them off of a Marantz NR-1606 slimline receiver for now. Most of the other stuff I've looked at has been 10-20W minimum recommended.
I don't know about the Sierras but I can tell you that the SE series (200, 170, and esp. the 340) are very easy to drive. Don't worry about the power specs of speakers or receivers, you'll be fine. I once drove the 170s with a 12 watt T-amp and it was fine.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #111 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Looked at the Ascend stuff again. So maybe I need to do more research but how long should I expect speakers with ferro-fluid voice coils to last? I had read that those can dry up after a few years and affect performance which is what I've been suspecting has happened to my Velodynes which have them. I'm not exactly sure if it's the tweeters or something with the 4" drivers in the center but for instance watching the new Pacific Rim on blu-ray last weekend and mid-way through the tonal qualities of the center changed (was listening about 10db below reference for about an hour or so at that point) and voices sounded slightly more clear (more high frequencies) but distorted like talking through paper or something like a "kazoo" vibration. This is what drove me to start looking at replacing everything not just the sub that would cut out on modern LFE action tracks going into overload protection.

As far as matching goes what are thoughts on if I chose to go with KEF for example if I did Q150 or 350 L/R with the 650 center and in the rear I'm debating either the Q100 or the slightly smaller, but someone mentioned the sound might be similar, Q acoustic 3010? The price is similar on both the only difference is port location and cabinet/woofer size. The 3010's are 2-3" smaller all around than the Q100's. Either this weekend or next though I'm going to start demoing centers. B&W, KEF, and just because probably an SVS to start.

edit: Oh and if I didn't mention it, I did get the PB-2000 last weekend. So that part is out of the way. I think I'm still looking at having about 18-2400 budget for L/C/R/Surround/Atmos speakers. Yeah I pushed the potential budget up a bit, but I'm also splitting the cost over 2-3 months now vs. trying to buy all at once and in June.

post #112 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 2537
Quote:
Looked at the Ascend stuff again. So maybe I need to do more research but how long should I expect speakers with ferro-fluid voice coils to last? I had read that those can dry up after a few years and affect performance which is what I've been suspecting has happened to my Velodynes which have them. I'm not exactly sure if it's the tweeters or something with the 4" drivers in the center but for instance watching the new Pacific Rim on blu-ray last weekend and mid-way through the tonal qualities of the center changed (was listening about 10db below reference for about an hour or so at that point) and voices sounded slightly more clear (more high frequencies) but distorted like talking through paper or something like a "kazoo" vibration. This is what drove me to start looking at replacing everything not just the sub that would cut out on modern LFE action tracks going into overload protection.

As far as matching goes what are thoughts on if I chose to go with KEF for example if I did Q150 or 350 L/R with the 650 center and in the rear I'm debating either the Q100 or the slightly smaller, but someone mentioned the sound might be similar, Q acoustic 3010? The price is similar on both the only difference is port location and cabinet/woofer size. The 3010's are 2-3" smaller all around than the Q100's. Either this weekend or next though I'm going to start demoing centers. B&W, KEF, and just because probably an SVS to start.

edit: Oh and if I didn't mention it, I did get the PB-2000 last weekend. So that part is out of the way. I think I'm still looking at having about 18-2400 budget for L/C/R/Surround/Atmos speakers. Yeah I pushed the potential budget up a bit, but I'm also splitting the cost over 2-3 months now vs. trying to buy all at once and in June.
Aperion Audio is running a sale right now. They make very good speakers. 60 day trial period, shipping included in the lower 48.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #113 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Aperion Audio is running a sale right now. They make very good speakers. 60 day trial period, shipping included in the lower 48.

Thanks I'll check it out. Oh, so I know I've said currently I'm like 95% HT usage but part of that is cause the velodyne's especially before I got the Marantz 3 years ago and was using a 2001 model Yamaha AVR sounded horrible for music. I actually wouldn't mind listening to more music through the new speakers if they sound good for it.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

post #114 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Looked at the Ascend stuff again. So maybe I need to do more research but how long should I expect speakers with ferro-fluid voice coils to last? I had read that those can dry up after a few years and affect performance which is what I've been suspecting has happened to my Velodynes which have them.
Ascend has been around since the early 00s. If there were any issues with their ferrofluid VC models "drying up" I'm sure we would have heard about it by now, instead of the sizable legion of very happy customers they have on this forum. So it's not something I would lose any sleep over. But perhaps Dave @Ascend can comment on this.

PS. For your 95% HT use and especially with your new PB2000 in play, I would pick Ascend over QA for sure and over KEF Q series as well, with the possible exception of the Q100 for $250/pair off Amazon if you're willing to go with a mismatched center or use a 3rd Q100 as the center, rather than getting gouged by KEF for their $650 "matching" MTM center.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #115 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

5.1.2 setup for around 2500??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Ascend has been around since the early 00s. If there were any issues with their ferrofluid VC models "drying up" I'm sure we would have heard about it by now, instead of the sizable legion of very happy customers they have on this forum. So it's not something I would lose any sleep over. But perhaps Dave @Ascend can comment on this.

PS. For your 95% HT use and especially with your new PB2000 in play, I would pick Ascend over QA for sure and over KEF Q series as well, with the possible exception of the Q100 for $250/pair off Amazon if you're willing to go with a mismatched center or use a 3rd Q100 as the center, rather than getting gouged by KEF for their $650 "matching" MTM center.

How would ascend be for music as well if I wanted to start listening to more? I'm thinking 340's up front with the new design I'm going with for my entertainment unit build the height is not an issue and the narrower width vs the 170's would be good up front. Debating 170 or 200 in the rear then.

I might be able to pull off Sierra 1's up front. Not sure how that would match with the 170 or 200's in the rear though. Also need to figure out what "NrT upgrade" is.

I think a while back you said you thought my 50W marantz would work ok for the 340's regardless of what the specs were calling for on recommended power? Just wasn't sure with having dual 6.5" drivers in them.

post #116 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I found some more info about the ferrofluid tweeters. Seems hard to actually find info but from what I could find it sounds like things like extended high volume use and poor storage could contribute to things like the fluid gumming up or drying out depending on what the base is made of.

I don't think my velodynes qualify for too much high volume use but things like being more budget designs and that at least once they were stored in a non air conditioned storage unit with NorCal summer temps outside for about half a summer maybe some damage was done or something and it seems like I was shying away from that tech for no good reason really

post #117 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
How would ascend be for music as well if I wanted to start listening to more? I'm thinking 340's up front with the new design I'm going with for my entertainment unit build the height is not an issue and the narrower width vs the 170's would be good up front. Debating 170 or 200 in the rear then.

I might be able to pull off Sierra 1's up front. Not sure how that would match with the 170 or 200's in the rear though. Also need to figure out what "NrT upgrade" is.

I think a while back you said you thought my 50W marantz would work ok for the 340's regardless of what the specs were calling for on recommended power? Just wasn't sure with having dual 6.5" drivers in them.
The 340s do music equally well because they are so neutral, though if you are playing a bad recording you will know that it's a bad recording...they are quite revealing of the source quality, which is typical of any truly accurate speakers.

I haven't heard the Sierras myself, by all accounts the quality upgrade is mainly noticeable during critical music listening esp. in 2.0 and not nearly so much during HT with a subwoofer in play...especially true with the RAAL tweeter version ("NrT upgrade").

post #118 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
So I found some more info about the ferrofluid tweeters. Seems hard to actually find info but from what I could find it sounds like things like extended high volume use and poor storage could contribute to things like the fluid gumming up or drying out depending on what the base is made of.
Yeah generally speaking I would never store ANY speakers (or subs) someplace that doesn't have climate control where they'd endure sustained heat and humidity...just not a good idea.

post #119 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The 340s do music equally well because they are so neutral, though if you are playing a bad recording you will know that it's a bad recording...they are quite revealing of the source quality, which is typical of any truly accurate speakers.

I haven't heard the Sierras myself, by all accounts the quality upgrade is mainly noticeable during critical music listening esp. in 2.0 and not nearly so much during HT with a subwoofer in play...especially true with the RAAL tweeter version ("NrT upgrade").
Awesome! Yeah I understand about the recording quality. Mostly I listen to music with headphones and use Beyer DT-880's which are very neutral and can show the same stuff about the recording quality. Hmmm guess the Sierra vs 340 then would be whether I think I'd use it enough for music to make it worth it. What's your thoughts on driving the Sierra at least for a bit with that Marantz slimline vs. the 340's? I know the Sierra has an even higher recommended minimum so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it at all.

Quote:
Yeah generally speaking I would never store ANY speakers (or subs) someplace that doesn't have climate control where they'd endure sustained heat and humidity...just not a good idea.
Yeah I didn't really know any better and I was moving from WA back to CA to look for work and living with family so I had no choice. The speakers were only about 5 years old at that point. I don't really know now when I first realized they were sounding off though so it might have been after that or a while later like maybe the storage + later use finally is doing them in or maybe the old 2001 Yamaha receiver I used up until a couple years ago damaged them with some clipping. I remember watching one of the F&F movies (6 or 7) and had it turned up probably around 8-10db below reference and at one point there was a shrill sound from the center. I assumed it was the tweeter and figured it was the ferro-fluid thing after looking around but maybe the old AVR clipped on the center and damaged it instead.

post #120 of 266 Old 06-28-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Awesome! Yeah I understand about the recording quality. Mostly I listen to music with headphones and use Beyer DT-880's which are very neutral and can show the same stuff about the recording quality. Hmmm guess the Sierra vs 340 then would be whether I think I'd use it enough for music to make it worth it. What's your thoughts on driving the Sierra at least for a bit with that Marantz slimline vs. the 340's? I know the Sierra has an even higher recommended minimum so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it at all.
The Sierras might be ok with your Marantz amp (not real familiar with it, but the slim profile and light weight for a Class AB receiver does not inspire much confidence for me despite Marantz's good reputation) but the 340s have much higher sensitivity so they'd be a safer bet if you like to listen pretty loud. The Sierras would probably have a bit more mid-bass (6Hz lower), punchy-ness and a little more top-end sparkle, is my guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page