Best Speaker Pair for $10K in 2018? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The Personas need to break in a bit. Any idea how long they were run in the showroom?

You have a lot of options. Would be great for you to demo some and provide feedback as you go. Gotta look at it as a process and enjoy it. I’d definitely check out the Epicons. I’m planning to put them in my lounge when it’s done.

Main 7.1 HT: Dali Zensor (7s, Vokal, and 1s), Emotiva E2s, HSU ULS-15 MK2, Emotiva BasX preamp/amps (MC-700, A-300, A-500)
Kid’s 5.1 HT: Dali Oberon (5s, Vokal), RSL C34Es, HSU VTF-2 MK5, Denon X2400H
7-Zone CCA/Spotify WHA: Paradigm (E-80Rs x6, P-80SM), Def Tech AW6500s, Polk MC-80, Emotiva BasX amps (A-700, A-500), FiiO D3 DACs
Spectah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coytee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumensLover View Post
Klipsch 535 Jubilee
I agree with LumensLover. The again, I prefer the cleaner, more articulate sound of a bass horn over direct radiating bass...

You could perhaps nab a pair of TAD-4002's and still be inside your budget (if you wanted to throw balls to the wall)

Hair trigger dynamics, huge scale of sound, for every day listening levels...essentially zero distortion. Want more volume, just turn it up. They'll play as quiet as the most delicate panel speakers.... or will punch your guts if you want them to. You control all their mayhem with a flick of your (volume control) wrist...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cherryjub.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	2375704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00493.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2375706   Click image for larger version

Name:	500x1000px-LL-e7c61a96_attachment.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2375708   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	2375710  
skypop likes this.
coytee is offline  
post #33 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
New: Revel F228Be

Used: Revel Salon2

Someone else mentioned JBL M2. Great speakers, but will cost more than $10K with amps. JBL 4367 is the passive version, normal amps to drive them.

JBL LSR 708's with good subs might approach $10K.

Just go with the used Revel Salon2's. They are in a higher league. Pickup a Voice2 center channel as well if a new center channel is on your shopping list. Check the written review and the measurements from Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...vel/index.html

Check the Revel Owner's thread. The people who own Salon2's just aren't looking to upgrade.

The Revel Salon2's were developed at Harman when Floyd Toole was there. They represent the best Revel could develop based on Dr. Toole's work. Here is a link the third version of his book which is invaluable in understand what is important in loudspeakers, among other subjects.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reprodu...ds=floyd+toole
Rex Anderson likes this.
bigguyca is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Definitely going to look at some more brands and do more listening to see what else is out there. Thank you for the tip about having the Personas toed out a little...I will visit the local shop again and try that.



Due to being busy with school and then work, it has been a decade of saving up for the HT setup haha. I've read on some corners of the Internet that the GoldenEar References are good speakers but poor for the price and that they have a huge marketing campaign by the manufacturer behind them. Is there any truth to that? They did sound good when I listened to them, but the Personas sounded clearer on vocals, although a little too bright.



They had some B&W (802s?) and some electrostatic models but I did not listen to them. I believe the B&Ws they had were outside my budget so the salesman only had me sample the Paradigm Persona 3F and the GoldenEar References.
I went through the same process last year with the same budget. The speakers I auditioned off the top of my head: B&W 802 D3, 805 D3, B&W 700, KEF Reference 3, Persona (too bright for me too!), Spendor D7, Triangle Signature Delta, Sonas Faber Venere S, Revel F208, some Totem, Focal 1038 be, PSB Image T2, plus a few I forgot.

The result? GoldenEar Reference. No contest. And its performance for the money? Check this out. It's listed alongside speakers $20k to $200k+ as Class A by Stereophile. Nothing else needs to be said about its value and performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioplus93 View Post
Funny, most everyone on these Forum's are looking for $300 speakers. With a $10,000 budget, you will be hard pressed to find anything that comes close to Golden Ear Reference performance at even twice the cost.
Cannot agree more.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature, LG OLED C7P 65
Setup #2: Elac Debut B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ??

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php, www.dpreview.com/forums, www.bimmerfest.com/forums

Last edited by Shangri-La; 03-15-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Shangri-La is offline  
post #35 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
519audiofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Woodstock, ON
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post
Hi all,

I have a room that I will be using as a dedicated HT and also for music listening. I'm starting from scratch so don't have anything yet, but am trying to decide on the front speakers pair first. My budget for the front pair is $10k.

I did recently have the local A/V store demo the Paradigm Persona 3Fs ($10k/pair) and the GoldenEar References ($8500/pair) and found the sound of the GoldenEars to be better than the Persona 3Fs which I found to be a little bright.

I would love to hear which of these two speakers others would recommend or if neither of these, what are the the best speakers in the $10k budget for the pair? Thank you!
I'm partial to Paradigm, but if you can stretch you may want to consider the Persona 5F. They sounded more balanced compared to the 3Fs - the 3Fs midrange was very forward.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
JimmyDaves likes this.
519audiofan is offline  
post #36 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Another advice. Don't be afraid to audition speakers a few thousand over even double your budget. So you will know what to expect and what level of sound quality you're getting whatever you buy, and how good of value (GoldenEar Reference for example cough cough) you're getting.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature, LG OLED C7P 65
Setup #2: Elac Debut B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ??

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php, www.dpreview.com/forums, www.bimmerfest.com/forums
Shangri-La is offline  
post #37 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 31
And dont rush. Take your time to audition a lot of speakers. It's a lot of fun. Enjoy the journey.
RayGuy likes this.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature, LG OLED C7P 65
Setup #2: Elac Debut B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ??

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php, www.dpreview.com/forums, www.bimmerfest.com/forums
Shangri-La is offline  
post #38 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 178
if you look hard enough you may be able to find a pair of JBL K2s9900's which imho run circles around anything mentioned here thus far. the latest diamond blah blah blah BW speakers are ..well .. yeah lol. They sound so poor and directional even my fiance was able to identify the directional sounding speaker.
'

if you decide to go with JBL horns (my personal preference) .. match them up with some tubes and you'll have instant smiles.
skypop likes this.

JBL Array 1400, 880, & 800s on custom sound anchors / Revel C763L x4
Marantz AV8805 / TEAC NT-505 / Oppo 205 / Emotiva XPA DR3 / Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
PSA S1801 x2
Bob Carver Crimson 350 tube monoblocks
JBL Everest DD67000s (awaiting amplification)
love_that_sound is offline  
post #39 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
steven59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I recently posted the same thread on another forum and got some repeats of many suggestions here. TBH, I already had a speaker in mind and was hoping for some blind confirmation. The speakers I'm replacing are the Salon's and the other's I'd heard and liked were the dynaudio contour 60 new, and a few used jems, Salon2's, 207/2's, VA 'the music' and a couple modular models. I expected the original salon to be a tough act to follow, and they're still really good speakers but $10k will get better sound. I ended up buying the Salon2's. Enjoy shopping and buy used if you can.

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
steven59 is offline  
post #40 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wlhungdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Second recommendation for the Danley Sound Labs SH 50's. Amazing speakers . One of the very few new speaker designs in the last 60 years.

IMO, of course... add a zero and I'd be looking for a used pair of Focal Grand Utopias. 8)

Joseph
darrellh44 likes this.

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
wlhungdude is offline  
post #41 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 1,312
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post
Hi all,

I have a room that I will be using as a dedicated HT and also for music listening. I'm starting from scratch so don't have anything yet, but am trying to decide on the front speakers pair first. My budget for the front pair is $10k.

what are the the best speakers in the $10k budget for the pair?


The following would be my top choices. They all selling used asking between $5,500 to $11,995 or best offer:


Bowers & Wilkins B&W 802D

$15,000 new
$5,500 asking (used)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilk...-/253426882744

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...5bw/index.html





The newer $15,000 B&W D2's are selling used for $8,650

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-Bowers-...EAAOSwH3hZ9d3S





Revel Ultima Salon

$16,000 new
$5,500 asking (used)

The Salon was Stereophile's Speaker of the year and Revel's flagship speaker for many years. Its a with a four-way system, with a tweeter, mid, mid/base, and 3 woofers.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...-ultima-salon/



The newer $20,000 Revel Ultima Salon II's are selling used for $9,195

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REVEL-ULTIM....c100005.m1851





Infinity IRS Beta

$12,000 new
$7,500 asking (used)

Legendary Infinity speaker that features the same planar ribbon drivers and woofers found on the $45,000 flagship IRS V speakers descended from the original $90,000 Infinity IRS Reference Standard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-IR...-/152941728097






Avantgarde Acoustic Uno Nano

$16,500 new
$8,500 asking (used)

This is a smaller version of the original Avantgarde Uno which was the smallest speaker in Avantgarde's line, but still visually imposing, using a big 19.7" horn midrange with a 5.1 compression driver on top, a 5.1" horn tweeter below that, and two actively powered 10" woofers, driven by a 250W amplifier.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...D_BwE&keyword=

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...ker/index.html





Sonus Faber Amati Homage

$25,000 new
$8,500 asking (used)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONUS-FABER...-/263498714272






Martin Logan Expression ESL 13A

$15,000 new
$9,400 asking (used)

ML's legendary Xstat electrostatic transducer, dual 10-inch dual opposed woofers powered by dual 300-watt Class-D amplifiers

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...-eq-full-range

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/produ...ession-esl-13a







Sound Lab M-3PX

$17,000 new
$9,500 asking (used)

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...D_BwE&keyword=

The M-3PX is Sound Lab's smallest full range electrostatic speaker at 67" high, 29 3/4" wide, 20 7/8" deep and weighing 129 lbs each. it provides the same driver technology as their flagship Majestic 645PX electrostats.







JM Labs Utopia

$35,000 new
$10,000 asking (used)

JM is a french company that uses all Focal drivers. The original Utopia is the predecessor of the Focal and JM line that uses inverted Beryllium tweeters.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...m-labs-utopia/

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...cal/index.html



The $43,000 newer JM labs Utopia Be Alto Speakers with the Beryllium tweeter is selling used for $13,900

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...ced-full-range





Magico S3 MK1

$22,600 new
$11,300 asking (used)

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...ast-full-range

http://magico.net/product/s3.php

https://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...3-loudspeakers

Beryllium Tweeter, Rigid aluminum enclosure with metal internal bracing similar to the $229,000 USD Magico's Q7 speakers







Raidho XT-3

$35,000 new
$11,995 asking (used)

Legendary Raidho Danish speaker at a fraction of the original cost. Features the same famous planar ribbon tweeters and Titanium coated drivers found on the $286,800 flagship D5.1 speakers.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...off-full-range

Scratched pair of XT-3's for only $8,300

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/...DHO/X-3/170183

https://blinkhighend.com/shop/speakers/raidho-xt-3/



JimmyDaves, Ricky, mtrot and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Peterc613; 03-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Peterc613 is offline  
post #42 of 58 Old 03-15-2018, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,412
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Just go with the used Revel Salon2's. They are in a higher league. Pickup a Voice2 center channel as well if a new center channel is on your shopping list. Check the written review and the measurements from Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...vel/index.html

Check the Revel Owner's thread. The people who own Salon2's just aren't looking to upgrade.

The Revel Salon2's were developed at Harman when Floyd Toole was there. They represent the best Revel could develop based on Dr. Toole's work. Here is a link the third version of his book which is invaluable in understand what is important in loudspeakers, among other subjects.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reprodu...ds=floyd+toole
I bet the Performa 3Bes will have better vocal playback than Ultima 2s, ceramic is just a superior diaphragm material to the titanium, coming from someone who owned the entire Ultima2 lineup in the past and compared to other newer flagships it had a grittiness to the vocals that can be seen in the decay measurements.

Last edited by astrallite; 03-15-2018 at 09:20 PM.
astrallite is offline  
post #43 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 852
yah, but I would hate to see the matching center channel.
Blacklightning is offline  
post #44 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SnellTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 415
A used pair of B&W Diamond 802
SnellTHX is offline  
post #45 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SnellTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
yah, but I would hate to see the matching center channel.
That looks like a flagship Raidho? Probably around $50,000 or more I guess...
SnellTHX is offline  
post #46 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I compared GoldenEar to Legacy Audio and preferred the Legacy’s.

The Legacy Audio Focus SE, at $10k for the pair, have won The Absolute Sound’s Editor’s Choice 7 years running:

http://legacyaudio.com/products/view/focus-se/

Hand made in America, cabinetry and components second to none.

Not to mention that when you call Legacy Audio in Illinois, you can talk to the company’s chief designer and owner, Bill Dudleston, himself, which is amazing!

I own an LCR set of Legacy Silhouettes and love them.
ss3740 and yanks1 like this.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
sunPin is offline  
post #47 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofreak38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,592
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Lots of good recommendations here. But, I would like to add these for $6K:


https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstan...ers-black.html


I have not heard them, but have read good things about them. Here is a bit more info about the Concept 500's:


https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/concept500speakers



Cheers,

Phil
audiofreak38 is offline  
post #48 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post
Another advice. Don't be afraid to audition speakers a few thousand over even double your budget. So you will know what to expect and what level of sound quality you're getting whatever you buy, and how good of value (GoldenEar Reference for example cough cough) you're getting.
I would normally not agree with this but I do remember a time that I was wasting some time at a shop. They just got in the new B&W D3's and they sounded wonderful. I then listened to a couple speakers in my price range. I listened to a pair of Monitor Audio's because I wanted to hear a ribbon tweeter and I did not really like the sound of the speaker in general. After that listened to a pair of Totems and I fell in love with the sound. It was 90% of what I heard with the B&W's, the low end was a big surprise for the size and the midrange was perfect. I would be very happy with the Totem's even after hearing the B&W. But now I could "never" buy a Monitor Audio speakers.
Blacklightning is offline  
post #49 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: east texas
Posts: 2,341
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterc613 View Post
The following would be my top choices. They all selling used asking between $5,500 to $11,995 or best offer:


Bowers & Wilkins B&W 802D

$15,000 new
$5,500 asking (used)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowers-Wilk...-/253426882744

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...5bw/index.html





The newer $15,000 B&W D2's are selling used for $8,650

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-Bowers-...EAAOSwH3hZ9d3S





Revel Ultima Salon

$16,000 new
$5,500 asking (used)

The Salon was Stereophile's Speaker of the year and Revel's flagship speaker for many years. Its a with a four-way system, with a tweeter, mid, mid/base, and 3 woofers.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...-ultima-salon/



The newer $20,000 Revel Ultima Salon II's are selling used for $9,195

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REVEL-ULTIM....c100005.m1851





Infinity IRS Beta

$12,000 new
$7,500 asking (used)

Legendary Infinity speaker that features the same planar ribbon drivers and woofers found on the $45,000 flagship IRS V speakers descended from the original $90,000 Infinity IRS Reference Standard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-IR...-/152941728097






Avantgarde Acoustic Uno Nano

$16,500 new
$8,500 asking (used)

This is a smaller version of the original Avantgarde Uno which was the smallest speaker in Avantgarde's line, but still visually imposing, using a big 19.7" horn midrange with a 5.1 compression driver on top, a 5.1" horn tweeter below that, and two actively powered 10" woofers, driven by a 250W amplifier.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...D_BwE&keyword=

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...ker/index.html





Sonus Faber Amati Homage

$25,000 new
$8,500 asking (used)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONUS-FABER...-/263498714272






Martin Logan Expression ESL 13A

$15,000 new
$9,400 asking (used)

ML's legendary Xstat electrostatic transducer, dual 10-inch dual opposed woofers powered by dual 300-watt Class-D amplifiers

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...-eq-full-range

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/produ...ession-esl-13a







Sound Lab M-3PX

$17,000 new
$9,500 asking (used)

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...D_BwE&keyword=

The M-3PX is Sound Lab's smallest full range electrostatic speaker at 67" high, 29 3/4" wide, 20 7/8" deep and weighing 129 lbs each. it provides the same driver technology as their flagship Majestic 645PX electrostats.







JM Labs Utopia

$35,000 new
$10,000 asking (used)

JM is a french company that uses all Focal drivers. The original Utopia is the predecessor of the Focal and JM line that uses inverted Beryllium tweeters.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...m-labs-utopia/

https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...cal/index.html



The $43,000 newer JM labs Utopia Be Alto Speakers with the Beryllium tweeter is selling used for $13,900

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...ced-full-range





Magico S3 MK1

$22,600 new
$11,300 asking (used)

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...ast-full-range

http://magico.net/product/s3.php

https://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...3-loudspeakers

Beryllium Tweeter, Rigid aluminum enclosure with metal internal bracing similar to the $229,000 USD Magico's Q7 speakers







Raidho XT-3

$35,000 new
$11,995 asking (used)

Legendary Raidho Danish speaker at a fraction of the original cost. Features the same famous planar ribbon tweeters and Titanium coated drivers found on the $286,800 flagship D5.1 speakers.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...off-full-range

Scratched pair of XT-3's for only $8,300

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/...DHO/X-3/170183

https://blinkhighend.com/shop/speakers/raidho-xt-3/



Dang. Your one post hit my audio porn limit for the day! But those certainly are some fantastic deals on elite level speakers.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
mtrot is offline  
post #50 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 1,312
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
That looks like a flagship Raidho? Probably around $50,000 or more I guess...

Raidho D5.1 speakers $286,800

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...5-loudspeaker/

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/raidho-d-51/











Ribbon Tweeter

The Raidho ribbon tweeter has a membrane with an extremely low mass. It is formed by a Kapton-aluminum sandwich that is only 20 um thick, and the resulting mass is app. 0.03 g., which is approximately 50 times less than any conventional textile, ceramic, beryllium or diamond dome. The lower mass translates directly into higher resolution and less material coloration.

https://raidho.dk/wp-content/uploads...eter-FTT75.pdf






Diamond Woofers

The Raidho woofers have a ridged, dustcap free, diamond membrane with an overhung ceramic magnet system and long linear stroke for excellent bass performance.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...d-b8f96339e294



Radial Ceramic Magnet System

The Raidho drivers use a radial ridged ceramic magnet piston structure to drive the cone.

https://raidho.dk/wp-content/uploads...ix-Drivers.pdf




Hand Made

All the units in a Raidho loudspeaker are designed, manufactured and assembled by Raidho Acoustics themselves. In the design process we seek to create something unique, and the reward is a very special harmony in the interplay between the design of the cabinet and the design of the sound.











If you can stretch the extra cash for a flagship speaker like this, their technology trickles down to the Scansonic MB-1's which are probably the best monitor speaker that I've heard under $5,000. The first time I listened to them at an audio show my jaw dropped. Scansonic is owned by the same parent company that makes the incredible Raidho speakers from Denmark. The small Radio monitor speakers cost $8,200 for the xt.1's, $18,900 for the c1.2's, and $22,900 for the D1.1's. The largest Raidio speakers are the D5.1's at a cost of $286,800. The Scansonic MB-1's are designed by Michal Borensen, the same designer of the Raidho speakers and therefore have much of the Raidho DNA and magic that Raidho is known for. They sell for a fraction of the cost and offer superb performance for their prices.

Raidho D5.1 $286,800
Scansonic MB-1 $2,295






Scansonic MB-1 $2,295
(White or Black)

https://topnewreview.com/a-touch-of-nordic-noir-review/

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ount-speakers/

"Holding court in the Raidho/Constellation room on the lobby level was a new small speaker from a designer who is known for great sounding, small, and very expensive designs. The Scansonic MB-1 is only $3000 with stands ($2300 without) yet it delivered a good part of “the Raidho sound” that Michael Borresen has developed during the last 12 years for Raidho. Measuring only 178mm by 312mm by 285mm, with a sealed ribbon tweeter and a carbon cone 5” mid/bass driver, this diminutive transducer created a huge soundstage with precise imaging and surprising bass extension. During my time in the room I also listened to the Raidho D-1 and X-1 and although the D-1 had more bass extension and slightly better imaging, the MB-1 wasn’t far behind it for 1/10th the price."



Last edited by Peterc613; 03-16-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Peterc613 is offline  
post #51 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
ss3740's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zanesville Ohio 43701
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
I compared GoldenEar to Legacy Audio and preferred the Legacy’s.

The Legacy Audio Focus SE, at $10k for the pair, have won The Absolute Sound’s Editor’s Choice 7 years running:

http://legacyaudio.com/products/view/focus-se/

Hand made in America, cabinetry and components second to none.

Not to mention that when you call Legacy Audio in Illinois, you can talk to the company’s chief designer and owner, Bill Dudleston, himself, which is amazing!

I own an LCR set of Legacy Silhouettes and love them.

Same here... I LOVE ours ( Focus Se's @t 11500.00 List ). Searched for 2 months travelling over several states.. I have now completed my speaker quest for probably my lifetime. These things rock.......and roll
ss3740 is online now  
post #52 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 01:45 PM
Member
 
gordojones88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
OMG Best Thread Ever.

B&W 683S2 / B&W HTM61S2 / B&W 686S2x4
LG OLED65C7 / Denon 4300 / Monolith 3x200
SVS PB16 / Xbox One X / Oppo 203
gordojones88 is offline  
post #53 of 58 Old 03-16-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Peterc613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Van Nuys, CA
Posts: 1,312
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
The Legacy Audio Focus SE, at $10k for the pair, have won The Absolute Sound’s Editor’s Choice 7 years running:
Hand made in America, cabinetry and components second to none.



Oops...I forgot to add these to the list. A friend of mine has a pair of Legacy Focus SE's and I agree that they are an amazing speaker at this price point!


Peterc613 is offline  
post #54 of 58 Old 03-17-2018, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
You didn't mention if you already have subs, or if you had budget above $10k to add new subs. If your listening priorities are weighted 50% or more movies, and you're looking for visceral impact of action movies you can both hear and feel, then subs are most definitely a prerequisite - preferably having at least one sub placed nearfield (immediately behind) your main seating position. If this is the route you want to go, then I wouldn't spend extra $$ just on large L/R monitors trying to get ULF and good tactile response with any kind of authority. That's where capable well-placed subs excel. If OTOH your priorities are mostly music, then a pair of full-range speakers may be all you need.
The $10k budget is just for the front L/R pair. I will also be getting a center, and surrounds as well as subs, but because 50% of my use will be music listening in stereo (sometimes with sub, sometimes without), I wanted to nail down the front towers first before figuring out what else I wanted to get for the room.
Rehan is offline  
post #55 of 58 Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,565
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post
Hi all,

I have a room that I will be using as a dedicated HT and also for music listening. I'm starting from scratch so don't have anything yet, but am trying to decide on the front speakers pair first. My budget for the front pair is $10k.

I did recently have the local A/V store demo the Paradigm Persona 3Fs ($10k/pair) and the GoldenEar References ($8500/pair) and found the sound of the GoldenEars to be better than the Persona 3Fs which I found to be a little bright.

I would love to hear which of these two speakers others would recommend or if neither of these, what are the the best speakers in the $10k budget for the pair? Thank you!
So, keep in mind - what you might ultimately use as center channel speaker - does what you are considering as your front pair have a companion center? May or may not be an issue/concern for you......

If you have a chance, I'd recommend auditioning Totem Acoustic; if you could stretch your budget, the Element Metals are stunning, though might be challenging to audition.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #56 of 58 Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3320 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehan View Post
The $10k budget is just for the front L/R pair. I will also be getting a center, and surrounds as well as subs, but because 50% of my use will be music listening in stereo (sometimes with sub, sometimes without), I wanted to nail down the front towers first before figuring out what else I wanted to get for the room.
so many good speakers...for 2k psb makes a nice floorstander

but all the greatness in speakers are usually at 20k and hopefully you can listen to some and then find your deal at much less.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #57 of 58 Old 03-17-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
michael hurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 669
http://www.jtrspeakers.com/noesis-215rt.html

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
michael hurd is offline  
post #58 of 58 Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
michael hurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 669
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-spe...na-2017-a.html
sigpig likes this.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
michael hurd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Goldenear , Paradigm , persona

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off