AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   Mounting Klipsch RP-140SA or R-14SA on Ceiling (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2965022-mounting-klipsch-rp-140sa-r-14sa-ceiling.html)

[KYA]Mega 03-19-2018 07:49 PM

Mounting Klipsch RP-140SA or R-14SA on Ceiling

1 Attachment(s)
I'm building a theater room and planning to add 4 Dolby Atmos speakers to my currently Klipsch speakers.

I will probably choose R-14SA or maybe RP-140SA if I can justify the extra cost.

Anway, the ceiling is pre-wired for 4 Atmos speakers, and I'm not at all concerned about the aesthetic of in-ceiling speakers, and I like the way these are shaped for directing the sound. They remind me of the design you see in actual Dolby Atmos theaters.

But here is the catch: They are not designed to be ceiling mounted. They are meant to hang on the wall via a keyhole mount. I obviously don't want to try and hang them by the keyhole mount (unsafe) but I'm having trouble finding any mounts that I think would work well for having them as flush as possible to the ceiling.

I've been searching and surprised how little I can find on this topic. I can't be the first person to want to mount Dolby Atmos speakers to the ceiling?!? HAHA

Attached is a pic of the ceiling of my new theater (still being constructed) the angle is from the screen side which is why Left and Right are backwards.

mikeyd17 03-20-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega (Post 55885678)
I'm building a theater room and planning to add 4 Dolby Atmos speakers to my currently Klipsch speakers.

I will probably choose R-14SA or maybe RP-140SA if I can justify the extra cost.

Anway, the ceiling is pre-wired for 4 Atmos speakers, and I'm not at all concerned about the aesthetic of in-ceiling speakers, and I like the way these are shaped for directing the sound. They remind me of the design you see in actual Dolby Atmos theaters.

But here is the catch: They are not designed to be ceiling mounted. They are meant to hang on the wall via a keyhole mount. I obviously don't want to try and hang them by the keyhole mount (unsafe) but I'm having trouble finding any mounts that I think would work well for having them as flush as possible to the ceiling.

I've been searching and surprised how little I can find on this topic. I can't be the first person to want to mount Dolby Atmos speakers to the ceiling?!? HAHA

Attached is a pic of the ceiling of my new theater (still being constructed) the angle is from the screen side which is why Left and Right are backwards.

I am in the same boat. Can not find any information on how to mount these flush on the ceiling.

Edit: This might be an option https://www.amazon.ca/Vantage-BSM-B-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

gajCA 03-20-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega (Post 55885678)

Angled speaker; just get an in ceiling with an angled driver, doesn't have to be Klipsch.

https://hometheaterreview.com/rsl-c3...aker-reviewed/

confinoj 03-20-2018 03:00 PM

Agree with above. If you are still in the process of building and have wiring done no reason not to just do regular in ceiling. If you want angled as above that works or just wide dispersion down firing. The atmos modules are primarily designed for people who can't do in ceiling which is considered the gold standard for atmos. If you do still want on ceiling speakers the SVS prime elevation do have a ceiling mount options.

[KYA]Mega 03-21-2018 12:06 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies so far... I welcome all opinions, especially those that differ from my own, as it will get me thinking. The reason I (thus far) had rather have on-ceiling than in-ceiling is I feel that you get more bang for the buck with enclosed cabinet speakers. They will also isolate better from the upstairs (there is a bedroom above my home theater).

I also realize I don't have to stick with Klipsch, but I want to as I believe the sound will integrate better with the rest of my system which is all Klipsch except my subwoofer.

Looking at the prices of these: http://www.klipsch.com/ceiling-speakers just reinforces my current opinion that "regular" speakers are a better value.

A pair of THESE is cheaper than a pair of THESE. That doesn't even make sense to me, but it is what it is.

[KYA]Mega 03-21-2018 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Regarding mounts... I think these would work but would require drilling into the speakers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073B3KD2W/

gajCA 03-21-2018 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega (Post 55892944)
Regarding mounts... I think these would work but would require drilling into the speakers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073B3KD2W/

Take the speaker apart first, or at least pull the woofer, to figure out where the crossover is attached to the cabinet inside.

Don't want to drill through that.

owenv2 03-21-2018 04:58 PM

Generally coaxial (concentric drivers) designs are recommended for ceiling mounted atmos setups. This helps really pinpoint the sound in space. The Klipsch speakers you linked are designed to be upfiring and are not coaxial. There are, however, several coaxial models available at lower and higher price points than the ones you mentioned. Elac A4, Onkyo D-309H, KEF R50 and Q50a, and the Pioneer Andrew Jones series speakers are all coaxial designs with angled cabinets. There are others as well. Unfortunately none of these address your main problem of ceiling mountability. Strong adhesives or drilling would offer the best invisible attachment.

[KYA]Mega 03-21-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gajCA (Post 55894832)
Take the speaker apart first, or at least pull the woofer, to figure out where the crossover is attached to the cabinet inside.

Don't want to drill through that.

Aaaah thanks for pointing this out... I'll definitely keep that in mind if I go with an option that requires holes. I still would prefer not to have holes, I'm envisioning some kind of bracket that could go around the speaker... but googling never turned up anything, and since these have a sloped front, this would be problematic anyway. so I guess mounting holes really is how I'll go... but still open to more suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by owenv2 (Post 55897442)
Generally coaxial (concentric drivers) designs are recommended for ceiling mounted atmos setups. This helps really pinpoint the sound in space. The Klipsch speakers you linked are designed to be upfiring and are not coaxial. There are, however, several coaxial models available at lower and higher price points than the ones you mentioned. Elac A4, Onkyo D-309H, KEF R50 and Q50a, and the Pioneer Andrew Jones series speakers are all coaxial designs with angled cabinets. There are others as well. Unfortunately none of these address your main problem of ceiling mountability. Strong adhesives or drilling would offer the best invisible attachment.

Thank you so much for the advice. I see where you're coming form with the coaxial argument, but my opinion is, having a match on the speaker types around the room i.e. same basic driver and tweeter design as sound moves between the channels I think will be more cohesive if all my speakers are of a similar type... to me that will be more important than how close together the woofer and tweeter are. Even just a few feet away I can't imagine the few inches between them will make a lot of difference directionally. I mean having them above is still going to be a bazillion times better than having them up firing to reflect off the ceiling. I also plan to sound treat the room so reflections should be at a minimum.

What adhesive would be strong enough? I can't imagine trusting adhesive to hold up a 5 to 7 pound speaker. :eek:

By the way, I did research each of the speaker models you suggested:

ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules

KEF R50 Dolby Atmos-Enabled Speaker

KEF Q50a Dolby Atmos-Enabled Surround Speaker

Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Add-On Enabled Speakers for Dolby Atmos

gajCA 03-22-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega (Post 55898800)
Aaaah thanks for pointing this out... I'll definitely keep that in mind if I go with an option that requires holes. I still would prefer not to have holes, I'm envisioning some kind of bracket that could go around the speaker... but googling never turned up anything, and since these have a sloped front, this would be problematic anyway. so I guess mounting holes really is how I'll go... but still open to more suggestions.

I don't think what you are contemplating is to crazy as the SVS Elevation speaker which is a very similar non coax design is recommended and used for height speakers.

Drilling into speakers is not a big deal, (assuming you do some pulling apart first), as the holes are easy to repair and cover with small rubber bumpers for top of speaker use.

My Dad back in the day had Bose 901s hanging upside down from the ceiling in our room with vaulted ceilings.

Worked fine and my brother in law still uses those 35 year old speakers to this day...just not hanging from the ceiling.

mikeyd17 04-10-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega (Post 55898800)

Thank you so much for the advice. I see where you're coming form with the coaxial argument, but my opinion is, having a match on the speaker types around the room i.e. same basic driver and tweeter design as sound moves between the channels I think will be more cohesive if all my speakers are of a similar type... to me that will be more important than how close together the woofer and tweeter are. Even just a few feet away I can't imagine the few inches between them will make a lot of difference directionally. I mean having them above is still going to be a bazillion times better than having them up firing to reflect off the ceiling. I also plan to sound treat the room so reflections should be at a minimum.

What adhesive would be strong enough? I can't imagine trusting adhesive to hold up a 5 to 7 pound speaker. :eek:

By the way, I did research each of the speaker models you suggested:

ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules

KEF R50 Dolby Atmos-Enabled Speaker

KEF Q50a Dolby Atmos-Enabled Surround Speaker

Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Add-On Enabled Speakers for Dolby Atmos

Did you make any decisions on mounting the Klipsch's ?

[KYA]Mega 04-10-2018 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyd17 (Post 56012530)
Did you make any decisions on mounting the Klipsch's ?

I am still at least a month away from actually doing this... but unless more ideas come along, I'm still favoring this type of mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073C9CMNQ/

DaBateman 04-11-2018 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega (Post 56014854)
I am still at least a month away from actually doing this... but unless more ideas come along, I'm still favoring this type of mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073C9CMNQ/

Realistically this is a fine idea. Doesn’t put a huge circular hole in your ceiling, just four screw holes. You’ll be fine with these.

Soulone 04-19-2018 08:37 AM

I find myself in the same situation. Upgraded my av and now I'd like to add 2 atmos speakers. Can't go with the in-ceiling approach so I'm looking for speakers that can be mounted on the ceiling somehow....

I found these "Cinema S2 Atmosphere Matte White" from Xtzsound....couldn't read many reviews about their performance but what I found interesting is the accessory that can be purchased for this model : https://www.xtzsound.eu/shop/eu/acce...flushmount-kit

I believe that would do the job, right ? Not sure if something like that can be found for the ELAC or KEF....

Rgds.

[KYA]Mega 07-30-2018 09:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, I wanted to come back and post my final solution.

I got 4 of the Klipsch RP-140SA speakers and I did in fact go for the brackets. But instead of screwing into my speakers, I decided to try a glue approach first. So I got some Loctite PL Premium Polyurethane Adhesive and glued the brackets to the speakers.

Then I mounted them to the ceiling using either sheetrock anchors or going into the studs if I got lucky.

They feel very solid, but I guess time will tell. I did use 12 awg speaker wire, so if one were to fall, I think the speaker wire would keep it from hitting the floor (or a person). HAHA

Regrets:

The Loctite dries tan, and I used a healthy amount so it came out REALLY ugly. I covered the ugliness with some black tape, but that looks a little bad too. My brackets came with black screws, but I used sturdier screws so they'd be long enough to go into the studs. I can paint those black at some point but right now the light really catches the silver screws on my otherwise all-black speakers and ceiling.

Function over form right? They sound great. All I've had time for is playing with the Dolby Atmos demo disc, but it's quite amazing. Worth all the blood, sweat, and money.

Sorry for the low picture quality, it's hard to get decent pics in a darkened room. LOL

Next on the agenda... Projector!

Falonious 08-02-2018 03:46 PM

Love the Master Chiefs helmet!

[KYA]Mega 10-02-2019 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I wanted to share an issue (and my fix) caused by the method I chose to mount these.

As I said earlier, the Loctite dried tan, and it looked bad, and covering with tape was also ugly. When I had some professional painters in the house, I asked them to do some touch-up on that tan Loctite and the silver screws on the ceiling. That would have been great but they were too liberal in how they applied the paint and it dried matte and the speaker coverings are glossy. I got over it. But... then something really bad started happening. I didn't even realize these speakers use a vinyl covering. So I didn't actually glue the brackets to the wood, I glued them to the speaker covering. Over time (about a year) it started separating. If I did nothing eventually it would have failed.

So I took them all down, warranty ruined anyway, so I took one apart and couldn't see where 3/4" screws would hurt anything, actually found some black wood screws at Home Depot, also got more sheet-rock anchors and some longer black screws. I peeled off all the vinyl, painted the sides with some leftover room paint which ended up looking better than I would have thought, and re-mounted them. Two screws into the speaker and two screws into sheet-rock anchors per bracket.

My old setup was 16 screws and 16 glued brackets. Now, 64 screws. Man my arms were tired. LOL

Attached are the before/after pics. They still don't look perfect because the texture where the vinyl slowly pulled off was different than where I quickly ripped it off, but honestly, you can only see that with the camera flash, naked eye in the darkened room they finally look pretty much perfect.

Moral of the story: Don't be lazy... do it right the first time.