Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Or Monitor Audio MR2's with a centre channel? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Sean Louis Sparshott

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Or Monitor Audio MR2's with a centre channel?

Hi Forum,

I'm having a bit of a predicament; I'm torn between the two speakers.

I will be pairing these with a Pioneer VSX330 5.1 AV Receiver.

So I know that Diamond Speakers are somewhat hard to run due their sensitivity. And I also know that the Monitor Audio has adequate sensitivity and aren't that hard to run.

With the monitor audio I can spend a little extra and grab the centre channel to run 3.1 rather than 2.1, so I am edging more towards Monitor Audio's side.

Just wanting to know your guy's opinions on what seems the best option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Have you heard both speakers? Which one's sound signature did you prefer? The two are completely different: the Wharfedale will be warm, mellow and smooth with a very full and clear midrange. The MA I would expect to have livelier sparkly treble and faster/punchier mid-bass. If your usage is mainly HT/TV, the MA might be the better choice. If you listen to a lot of midrange dominant music, I'd take the Wharfedale; more dynamic types of music, the MAs would probably make you happier.

About the center: don't assume that just any "matching" center will do. A lot of them suck, or underwhelm. The Wharfedale centers tend to draw only so-so feedback. Not sure about the MA center. Just evaluate the center on its own merits, and if you find any voice clarity shortcomings, don't hesitate to take it back and buy a non-matching center that can pull its own weight.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Have you heard both speakers? Which one's sound signature did you prefer? The two are completely different: the Wharfedale will be warm, mellow and smooth with a very full and clear midrange. The MA I would expect to have livelier sparkly treble and faster/punchier mid-bass. If your usage is mainly HT/TV, the MA might be the better choice. If you listen to a lot of midrange dominant music, I'd take the Wharfedale; more dynamic types of music, the MAs would probably make you happier.

About the center: don't assume that just any "matching" center will do. A lot of them suck, or underwhelm. The Wharfedale centers tend to draw only so-so feedback. Not sure about the MA center. Just evaluate the center on its own merits, and if you find any voice clarity shortcomings, don't hesitate to take it back and buy a non-matching center that can pull its own weight.
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't heard these speakers, no - Just purely going of what I've seen/heard from videos.

My father has the Monitor Audio Bronze 5's, so I'm more drawn to the MA side purely because I've heard an MA speaker. My main usage for these speakers really will be music, i like almost every genre of music, but typically genre's with bass; I have a subwoofer though so its not a big dependant whether speakers have biggest bass, although would be nice. I play a lot of games and watch lots of programs/movies. These speakers will be used all around on hooked up to my PC.

Hopefully that can give you some more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7172 Post(s)
Liked: 5474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Louis Sparshott View Post
My father has the Monitor Audio Bronze 5's, so I'm more drawn to the MA side purely because I've heard an MA speaker. My main usage for these speakers really will be music, i like almost every genre of music, but typically genre's with bass; I have a subwoofer though so its not a big dependant whether speakers have biggest bass, although would be nice. I play a lot of games and watch lots of programs/movies. These speakers will be used all around on hooked up to my PC.
Ideally you should go out and hear both speakers, side by side if possible.

I'm not familiar with the MR2 but I have heard the Bronze series, and if you like their sound signature then I imagine the MR2 should be similar enough to be a safe choice if you can't hear these 2 speakers before buying.

~ Are you a "geek hobbyist" obsessed with squeezing out that last 5-10% improvement? The economy will thank you...especially the Chinese one. Or are you more of a get-set-and-forget "casual user" who simply wants to increase your enjoyment of movies, TV and gaming? Relax, HT isn't rocket science, nor does it have to cost an arm and a leg---especially if you ignore the aforementioned vocal minority. And remember to smile...it's just a silly hobby, after all. :)
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Louis Sparshott View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I haven't heard these speakers, no - Just purely going of what I've seen/heard from videos.

Hopefully that can give you some more information.
I've listened to the Wharfedale 225 and 11.1 and the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and prefer the MA Bronze. Of course that doesn't really help you, but at least you have one vote for MA Bronze 2! Personally, I thought the MA speakers had more clarity than the Wharfedales.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Ideally you should go out and hear both speakers, side by side if possible.

I'm not familiar with the MR2 but I have heard the Bronze series, and if you like their sound signature then I imagine the MR2 should be similar enough to be a safe choice if you can't hear these 2 speakers before buying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hammond View Post
I've listened to the Wharfedale 225 and 11.1 and the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 and prefer the MA Bronze. Of course that doesn't really help you, but at least you have one vote for MA Bronze 2! Personally, I thought the MA speakers had more clarity than the Wharfedales.

Thank you to the both. I think ill go with the MA, it'd be nice to just have the set with the centre channel, and i know i can trust the MA series regardless as ive heard a few of their speaker range and they've never disappointed me!
gajCA, Zorba922 and Alex Hammond like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Monitor Audio , Pioneer , wharfedale

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page