Phase error Audyssey What to do? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By enricoclaudio

post #1 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Phase error Audyssey What to do?

So this problem I have never had before, and it ONLY happens to one speaker/wire? Which is my Back Rear SPeaker/cable.
I tried connecting the speaker to Surround Left, and then the Surround Left Receiver channel will be reported as "phase error"
So clearly it seems to be only this one speaker/cable

Why I did audyssey today? Because I installed 4 new height speakers, so now I have a 5.1.4 setup.
Before I was using my brand new Marantz 6011 without any such errors for a month or so.
So what gives?

I read some messages about not correct wiring + - etc. But as I have not had this error before, and I triple checked the connection to the Receiver and the cables itself on the speaker... (All my black lined cables are on "-" and the Normal white cable is on "+") This Speaker is no different then my other ones, same way connected. Cable is in pristine condition from the looks of it. So I have no idea whats up
Some say you can just choose ignore, but should I? Yes Receiver/Windows sees the speaker and sound is coming from it like normal but...
Doesn't feel right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked: 2882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian van Offeren View Post
So this problem I have never had before, and it ONLY happens to one speaker/wire? Which is my Back Rear SPeaker/cable.
I tried connecting the speaker to Surround Left, and then the Surround Left Receiver channel will be reported as "phase error"
So clearly it seems to be only this one speaker/cable

Why I did audyssey today? Because I installed 4 new height speakers, so now I have a 5.1.4 setup.
Before I was using my brand new Marantz 6011 without any such errors for a month or so.
So what gives?

I read some messages about not correct wiring + - etc. But as I have not had this error before, and I triple checked the connection to the Receiver and the cables itself on the speaker... (All my black lined cables are on "-" and the Normal white cable is on "+") This Speaker is no different then my other ones, same way connected. Cable is in pristine condition from the looks of it. So I have no idea whats up
Some say you can just choose ignore, but should I? Yes Receiver/Windows sees the speaker and sound is coming from it like normal but...
Doesn't feel right.
Ihad the exact same error message with my Denon. Make sure you don't have any loose strands making contact with the opposite terminal or wire. If all is good, just ignore and carry on.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 1259
Quote:
Doesn't feel right.
I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to be super picky, test that rear speaker separately... and by test, I mean simply play it in mono, wired correctly. Then reverse the wires. If it sounds out of phase reversed, leave it connected up normally. If it sounds normal reversed, leave it reversed in your regular hookup.

I expect it's just an audyssey oddness thing though, no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to be super picky, test that rear speaker separately... and by test, I mean simply play it in mono, wired correctly. Then reverse the wires. If it sounds out of phase reversed, leave it connected up normally. If it sounds normal reversed, leave it reversed in your regular hookup.

I expect it's just an audyssey oddness thing though, no big deal.
I don't know what you mean with " If it sounds out of phase reversed, leave it connected up normally. If it sounds normal reversed, leave it reversed in your regular hookup."

Im just another audio noob.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 813
As others have suggested, check you wiring and if it looks good ignore the "error" I would always get a phase error with my right front speaker. I double checked the wiring at the AVR and double checked it at the speaker. The issue still showed. Since they were DIY speakers I went as far as double checking the crossover and it's wiring. All were fine. When I used a phase test track on an old Stereophile CD I had the phase seemed fine. I figured it was just an error with the Audyssey program.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #6 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know what you mean with " If it sounds out of phase reversed, leave it connected up normally. If it sounds normal reversed, leave it reversed in your regular hookup."

Im just another audio noob.

Reverse the polarity of the wires to that speaker. If it sounds weird reversed (out of phase), then put it back to normal and ignore the auddysey error.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 4753
Check wires polarity, if they are correct then ignore the error. Some speakers have one of the components out of phase by design. This is the case with Polk Audio LSiM speakers.
m0j0 likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #8 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Check wires polarity, if they are correct then ignore the error. Some speakers have one of the components out of phase by design. This is the case with Polk Audio LSiM speakers.
Hey man! well if that were the case all my ground speakers should have the error as i have 4 exact same floor speakers. However, only 1 connection/line/speaker has the error...
Wires polarity correct 100% everywhere.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 4753
Quote:
Hey man! well if that were the case all my ground speakers should have the error as i have 4 exact same floor speakers. However, only 1 connection/line/speaker has the error...
If you want to be worry free, download a Polarity check app in your iOS or Android phone and test that particular speaker. For Android there is free app. I have AudioTools app for iOS and it works really well.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #10 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked: 2882
Quote:
I have the same fronts and mains, but only got the error on the right surround. It seems to be a common glitch when running audyssey. If you want peace of mind, disconnect the wire at the speaker end and re-wire. If using bare wire make sure the exposed wire isn't too long and touching anything else. You can also play a song in all channel stereo prior to running audyssey. If one of the speakers is out of phase, it will be very apparent. If you've already done that and made sure you connected the red from the speaker to red on the AVR and black to black (I've actually made that silly mistake) , just ignore the error message.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I have the same fronts and mains, but only got the error on the right surround. It seems to be a common glitch when running audyssey. If you want peace of mind, disconnect the wire at the speaker end and re-wire. If using bare wire make sure the exposed wire isn't too long and touching anything else. You can also play a song in all channel stereo prior to running audyssey. If one of the speakers is out of phase, it will be very apparent. If you've already done that and made sure you connected the red from the speaker to red on the AVR and black to black (I've actually made that silly mistake) , just ignore the error message.
Hah really? thats particular.. but If I move the wire around to a different channel then that channel will show up as "phase". So It does seem to be the wire but still it's weird since i didnt **** to the cable and the cable seems fine.

Yeah I guess I wasn't clear before. What does out of phase exactly mean?
But I suppose if the real time appliance of audio is fine, then there is nothing to worry about right?
Audio file @ stereo surround seems to be playing fine on that one speaker.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-31-2018, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
If you want to be worry free, download a Polarity check app in your iOS or Android phone and test that particular speaker. For Android there is free app. I have AudioTools app for iOS and it works really well.
I checked the app polarity checker but I have no idea on how to use, and 0 instructions in the app. looks pretty technical. Im just a noob.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-31-2018, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I checked the app polarity checker but I have no idea on how to use, and 0 instructions in the app. looks pretty technical. Im just a noob.
Assuming you can see the drivers on your speaker, you can just do a regular old-fashioned polarity test if you want:

Just touch the wires for a second, see which way the driver moves.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've seen, and fixed a few receivers and amps where the speaker terminals are wired wrong. Doesn't happen much anymore, the connectors are usually on a PC board that eliminates it happening. But speakers are usually wired up by hand, so that would be my first guess, if Audessey isn't just doing it's thing incorrectly.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-01-2018, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Assuming you can see the drivers on your speaker, you can just do a regular old-fashioned polarity test if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_C9M-rvbWA

Just touch the wires for a second, see which way the driver moves.
I did this, and the boxes went outward. So it seems connection is fine..
Well then weird.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-02-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I would say you can probably just ignore it. When I set up my 5.2.4 system, I was consistently getting a phase error for the front, right height speaker. I switched the wire and the error went away but then I got the same error on the front left height speaker. I probably spent an hour checking and switching polarity, etc. until I realized after switching it back to the original setup I got no phase error when running Audyssey. I then ran Audyssey again and got the same phase error. It just seems random depending on exactly where the calibration mic is placed.

Even in the Audyssey instructions it says that if you're confident the wire is connected correctly, to just skip it and move on. I think 99 percent of the time it's just a glitch in the system.

70" Vizio M Series (2016 Model); Xbox One S; PS3; DirecTV
Marantz 6011; Polk Signature Series S30 Center; S60 Towers (L/R); S15 Surrounds; S10 Front Height Pair/Rear Height Pair for Atmos, Two SVS SB-2000 Subs
post #17 of 17 Old 10-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post

Ihad the exact same error message with my Denon. Make sure you don't have any loose strands making contact with the opposite terminal or wire. If all is good, just ignore and carry on.
Lmaooo if that's happening you have way more serious issues than phase to worry about. Like a dead channel. Before you power on anything you should be absolutely positive no strands are touching any other part other than its correct terminal. Lmao wow..

Denon AVR-X2400H - B&W LCR 60 S3 Center - B&W DM 602 S3 Fronts - Klipsch R15m Atmos Highs - TSC TSS Surrounds - B&W ASW600 S3 Subwoofer - Paradigm Monitor 9 v5 Fronts - Paradigm CC-290 v5 Center
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers