• 1 Post By Bottlemech2
  • 1 Post By Kini62

post #1 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Help finding new mains

I have been searching for some time for a new set of mains. Currently I am using a DIY set of Hawthorne Audio 15" Silver Iris open baffle speakers, and while I have enjoyed them it's time to move on. My budget for new speakers is roughly $3k. I listen to music more than I watch movies but they need to be dual purpose. I have not been able to audition any speakers in years and the nearest audio store is 2.5 hours away from me.

I would love to have a pair of speakers that have a wide sweet spot, good sound stage and good imaging. (Is this realistic within this budget?) I was looking into Tekton speakers but after reading through most of the Tekton thread I decided against it. I am not opposed to buying used or going ID. There are so many choices I don't really know where to start.

My associated equipment is:
Processor: Emotiva UMC-1
Amp: ClassDAudio.com CDA-250

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottlemech2 View Post
I have been searching for some time for a new set of mains. Currently I am using a DIY set of Hawthorne Audio 15" Silver Iris open baffle speakers, and while I have enjoyed them it's time to move on. My budget for new speakers is roughly $3k. I listen to music more than I watch movies but they need to be dual purpose. I have not been able to audition any speakers in years and the nearest audio store is 2.5 hours away from me.

I would love to have a pair of speakers that have a wide sweet spot, good sound stage and good imaging. (Is this realistic within this budget?) I was looking into Tekton speakers but after reading through most of the Tekton thread I decided against it. I am not opposed to buying used or going ID. There are so many choices I don't really know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't been keeping up with the Tekton thread. They were my first thought for your budget and I have been personally considering giving these a shot. May I ask what made you steer away from them? I am now curious and maybe should check out that thread also.

As an alternative, I have been very happy with my Emotiva Airmotiv T1's. In my personal opinion, I think they have fantastic imaging, and the soundstage has great width and good depth. Tonality is fairly consistent for my 3 chair wide front row theater seating. My mains are about 12' apart and about 14' from speakers to MLP. Now this is just by ear, I have no actual measurements to back this up. The back row of seating I haven't really paid much attention to since I don't really ever sit back there.
leecreek likes this.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #3 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esappy View Post
I haven't been keeping up with the Tekton thread. They were my first thought for your budget and I have been personally considering giving these a shot. May I ask what made you steer away from them? I am now curious and maybe should check out that thread also.

As an alternative, I have been very happy with my Emotiva Airmotiv T1's. In my personal opinion, I think they have fantastic imaging, and the soundstage has great width and good depth. Tonality is fairly consistent for my 3 chair wide front row theater seating. My mains are about 12' apart and about 14' from speakers to MLP. Now this is just by ear, I have no actual measurements to back this up. The back row of seating I haven't really paid much attention to since I don't really ever sit back there.
It was a combination of the questionable claims and also the customer service problems people have had with Tekton. The customer service may have been rectified but I have a hard time with some of the claims with out proof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
It was a combination of the questionable claims and also the customer service problems people have had with Tekton. The customer service may have been rectified but I have a hard time with some of the claims with out proof.
Interesting. I'm not sure what the questionable claims are so I guess I will have to follow up on the Tekton thread before making any decisions about trying them out. Hopefully the customer service issues have been worked out. An internet direct company will have a hard time surviving with a reputation for poor customer service. I do know that the company does have a big fan with Terry London over at Home Theater Review. He says at the end of each review (or at least the 3 that I have read) that he ended up buying the review samples.

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato
post #5 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Revel F206 are a little above your price range at full retail. Most store will cut a deal below full retail.

These would be top of my short list in that price range.

https://revelspeakers.com/productdet...duct/f206.html
post #6 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
So no subwoofer?

Perhaps these?

http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR...armonitor.html
Blacklightning likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I have a pair of 15" OB subs and a 10" Dayton Titanic MKIII. I have looked into the Philharmonic speakers and they are definitely on my list.
Blacklightning likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

FWIW I enjoy classic rock, jazz, blues, folk. Many a Friday night I find my self listening to YES, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, ect.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 3019
Quote:
FWIW I enjoy classic rock, jazz, blues, folk. Many a Friday night I find my self listening to YES, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, ect.
I would look at the Canton Vento -- sold each
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ss-each/1.html

Or the RBH R-55E -- sold each
https://rbhsound.com/r55e.php

----------------
Who AM I
post #10 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

For most of the speakers that have been shown to me the sensitivity has been less that 90db 1w1m. The speakers I currently have are 96db 1w1m, if I'm not mistaken. Am I going to need to get a larger amp to push comparable SPL levels without distortion? My amp is currently 125w @8ohms .
post #11 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 223
kef has a sale on the R series (website - kefdirect)

the r700 is within the budget the r900 (my next upgrade one day) are above the budget but sound awesome

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
post #12 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9075 Post(s)
Liked: 6216
Quote:
For most of the speakers that have been shown to me the sensitivity has been less that 90db 1w1m. The speakers I currently have are 96db 1w1m, if I'm not mistaken. Am I going to need to get a larger amp to push comparable SPL levels without distortion? My amp is currently 125w @8ohms .
PSA has rather utilitarian high sensitivity speakers that many use for Home Theater but are said to be very musical as well.

Their owner Tom Vodhanel is a wealth of knowledge and if he doesn't think his products will meet your specific music first needs he'd definitely point you in the right direction by recommending other manufacturer's products.

But so would Dennis Murphy owner of Philharmonic Audio.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers

Geoff A. J., California
post #13 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Give the Vandersteen 2Ce Signature II an audition. Extremely musical speakers for the money. If you like classic rock these are right up your alley with righteous mid-bass and great imaging (in the sweet spot these have a massive, holographic sound stage). Love my Vandersteens

http://vandersteen.com/products/model-2ce-signature-ii

"Reckon I get me some fried po'taters mmm hmmm"
post #14 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
Since you currently have open baffle speakers, maybe something similar

http://www.spatialaudio.us/products/

https://hometheaterreview.com/spatia...kers-reviewed/
shivaji likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #15 of 15 Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

The open baffles I have right now are very similar to the Spatials in design, so that would be a lateral move. Also I really don’t have the space needed to let the OBs breathe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page